PDA

View Full Version : (pf) Another monk thread

Mayito
2013-02-25, 12:14 PM
Due to an apparent lack of Google-fu I can't find hardly any threads talking about optimizing the pathfinder monk. I am looking at the master of many styles to get the snake style and snake fang by lvl 2. Its an awesome couple of feats especially that early but is it worth giving up flurry of blows? Any other good monk ideas to look at?

Elderand
2013-02-25, 12:17 PM
Panther style does complement well the two you cited
Also look at quiggong monk for better class features

Psyren
2013-02-25, 12:19 PM
I haven't read MoMS in great detail but I have heard that it is better than normal monk. The best ones however are Qinggong (+Sensei, potentially) and Zen Archer. Hungry Ghost has its share of proponents as well.

Elderand
2013-02-25, 12:20 PM
To clarify you can combine quiggong with master of many style

Dusk Eclipse
2013-02-25, 12:23 PM
I haven't read MoMS in great detail but I have heard that it is better than normal monk. The best ones however are Qinggong (+Sensei, potentially) and Zen Archer. Hungry Ghost has its share of proponents as well.

AFAIK Hungry Ghost is only good in a crit-fishing build and I don't know how viable it is in PF.

OracleofSilence
2013-02-25, 12:35 PM
Hungry Ghost can give the Qinggong monk a bit more sustainability, and can also be combined with MoMS. But yeah. Snake Style w/ Panther (and maybe Crane) can be pretty good.

RFLS
2013-02-25, 12:36 PM
MONKDAY. Okay, now that that's out of the way....

If you're willing to sink a stupid (9) number of feats into it, I believe (and I haven't checked this, so someone correct me if I'm wrong) that having the full snake, crane, and panther chain allows you to move through a square to provoke an AoO, hit them before they take the AoO, block the AoO, and then take two more attacks because you blocked it. It takes until 8th level to become a full option so that you can use three styles at once, but once it does, it should be fun. I'm also pretty sure you end up having to wait until a level or two after to get all the feats, but I haven't found the fastest way yet.

Who needs flurry of blows?

Psyren
2013-02-25, 12:47 PM
AFAIK Hungry Ghost is only good in a crit-fishing build and I don't know how viable it is in PF.

"in PF?" Is Hungry Ghost in 3.5 somewhere?

Karoht
2013-02-25, 01:51 PM
Touch of Serenity is pretty awesome once you get there.
Prevents attacks and casting.
Hit the target with a Phase Lock + Anchoring Weapon, then move more than 10ft away and laugh.

Beyond that fun combo, I would agree with Quiggong.

If you want a silly build that focuses on Grappling (it ignores Freedom of Movement as a class feature) take Tetori. If you combo it with any levels of Ninja, I shall be forced to call you Dr McLuchador.

Mayito
2013-02-25, 01:59 PM
I like the idea of the Zen archer but I would like to keep it melee, maybe with shuriken as a backup. I like the combos listed but here is a question, after 9 feats to do that nice little combo how hard are you hitting? You have feats for defense but they only work once a round so how is the defense of the build. Now assume you are fighting intelligent opponents who stop taking Aoo's after they realize you want them to swing. I love the idea because by level 5 you can get your wis bonus and dex bonus worth of attacks all in during a move action assuming there are enough enemies and Aoo's but these are all vanilla attacks, no power attack, no weapon focus, maybe a stunning fist to mix things up. Am I being to critical about this idea?

Hylas
2013-02-25, 02:06 PM

I believe he meant "I don't know how viable a crit-fishing build in PF is."

Dusk Eclipse
2013-02-25, 03:08 PM

I meant crit fishing in PF

Edit: And I got Swordsaged with an hour of difference because I didn't read the whole thread before answering. :smallredface: