PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Somatic Components

questionmark693
2013-02-25, 05:18 PM
Can you attempt to hide a somatic component with sleight of hand or something if you don't want to use still spell? If so, please give me a book that says so for DM approval.

Mnemnosyne
2013-02-25, 05:21 PM
It's a skill trick to do that. Conceal Spellcasting, page 85 Complete Scoundrel.

Gazzien
2013-02-25, 05:22 PM
Can you attempt to hide a somatic component with sleight of hand or something if you don't want to use still spell? If so, please give me a book that says so for DM approval.

Conceal Spellcasting, Complete Scoundrel p85.

Illarion
2013-02-25, 05:24 PM
there's a skill trick that allows you to do something like that. i cant remember which book it is in. try UA, PHBII and complete scoundrel.

...so slow ):

questionmark693
2013-02-25, 05:27 PM
Thank you :)

Psyren
2013-02-25, 05:52 PM
Don't bother with the skill trick - those are 1/encounter. There is an expanded skill use that does the same thing in Races of Stone (RoS 133), only you can use it as many times as you want. As a bonus, if you succeed on the check, it hides your verbal component as well.

questionmark693
2013-02-25, 05:56 PM
Even better!

Gazzien
2013-02-25, 05:56 PM
Don't bother with the skill trick - those are 1/encounter. There is an expanded skill use that does the same thing in Races of Stone (RoS 133), only you can use it as many times as you want. As a bonus, if you succeed on the check, it hides your verbal component as well.

Corollary question; Would it work for Psionics, to hide the manifestation/ displays of the powers, assuming they were personal (not something like a Psionic Fireball [name escapes me at the moment])?

Psyren
2013-02-25, 06:01 PM
Corollary question; Would it work for Psionics, to hide the manifestation/ displays of the powers, assuming they were personal (not something like a Psionic Fireball [name escapes me at the moment])?

Hiding displays is a DC 15+power level Concentration check (so it tops out at DC 25 for epic powers.) Powers have neither verbal nor somatic components, so the Sleight of Hand does nothing here, but that's better odds than an opposed check which would scale with your level instead.

EDIT: "Psionic Fireball" would be Energy Ball. Suppressing your display doesn't hide the actual projectile - merely the Auditory display (rising hum of voices) that would go with it.

Gazzien
2013-02-25, 06:05 PM
Hiding displays is a DC 15+power level Concentration check (so it tops out at DC 25 for epic powers.) Powers have neither verbal nor somatic components, so the Sleight of Hand does nothing here, but that's better odds than an opposed check which would scale with your level instead.

-flips through book quickly- ... How in the world did I miss that?

I... I need to go reread the XPH and try to find my CPsi...