PDA

View Full Version : Bloodline and Warlock question

barna10
2013-02-25, 08:17 PM
Would bloodline levels increase Eldritch Blast Damage?

Karnith
2013-02-25, 09:01 PM
Would bloodline levels increase Eldritch Blast Damage?
No. Per the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/bloodlines.htm):

Include the character's bloodline level when calculating any character ability based on his class levels (such as caster level for spellcasting characters, or save DCs for characters with special abilities whose DCs are based on class level). The character doesn't gain any abilities, spells known, or spells per day from the addition of his bloodline levels, though—only the calculations of his level-based abilities are affected.
(Emphasis mine)

Since a warlock's Eldritch Blast damage is not a calculation based on his level, but rather a class ability (and one that advances irregularly, at that), it is not advanced by bloodline levels.

barna10
2013-02-25, 09:27 PM
Makes sense, thanks.

Darrin
2013-02-25, 09:56 PM
Since a warlock's Eldritch Blast damage is not a calculation based on his level, but rather a class ability (and one that advances irregularly, at that), it is not advanced by bloodline levels.

What about Hellfire Warlock?

Karnith
2013-02-25, 10:17 PM
What about Hellfire Warlock?
Because of the wording of the hellfire warlock's Hellfire Blast ability, I am inclined to think that bloodline levels would advance the extra damage.
Hellfire Blast (Sp): Whenever you use your eldritch blast ability, you can change your eldritch blast into a hellfire blast. A hellfire blast deals your normal eldritch blast damage plus an extra 2d6 points of damage per class level.(Emphasis mine)

Because the damage is "per class level," rather than the typical "at x level, and at every x levels thereafter" (or the warlock's more nebulous "increases in power as the warlock rises in power"), the damage from a Hellfire Blast would seem to be a calculation based on class level, rather than an ability that improves at certain levels.