PDA

View Full Version : Walking Worms from 1st level

8wGremlin
2013-02-25, 09:25 PM
There is a epic template called the worm that walks (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/wormThatWalks.htm)

But it states that rarely that a worm that walks can be spontaneously created.

So you could take the template RAW, at 1st level

Last Laugh
2013-02-25, 10:43 PM
There is a epic template called the worm that walks (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/wormThatWalks.htm)

But it states that rarely that a worm that walks can be spontaneously created.

So you could take the template RAW, at 1st level

I thought that things without level adjustments were for monsters only? I may be wrong.

The touch attack to deal 100 damage is pretty darn nice for a while, and nigh immortality is cool.

QuickLyRaiNbow
2013-02-25, 10:55 PM
The fact that there's no level adjustment listed means that it's not appropriate to use for a character during creation. You're in the-rules-don't-say-I-can't-so-I-can territory here, or "just because I'm dead doesn't mean I can't take actions!"-land.

Eugenides
2013-02-25, 11:13 PM
Yeah, no LA, no character. There's only a CR+3.

Averis Vol
2013-02-25, 11:53 PM
Yea, gonna echo everyone else; the worm that walks is an elder evil, and theres an entire campaign devoted to defeating him. With the - where it says LA it means its not applicable to PC's, though it would be interesting to defeat him the first time, get into epic, and see dozens of them walking on the horizon coming from the spot you killed him.

Alleran
2013-02-25, 11:56 PM
Yea, gonna echo everyone else; the worm that walks is an elder evil, and theres an entire campaign devoted to defeating him. With the - where it says LA it means its not applicable to PC's, though it would be interesting to defeat him the first time, get into epic, and see dozens of them walking on the horizon coming from the spot you killed him.
IIRC, the Elder Evil concept is of a specific Worm That Walks. Even more specifically, it refers to Kyuss, a God-Worm That Walks. Lesser Worms would still exist despite that, since there are circumstances by which new ones can be created either deliberately or spontaneously.

8wGremlin
2013-02-26, 12:11 AM
I completely understand the no LA usually means not available for PC play.

But, here me out here, there are three obvious way that a pc can get this template

Epic spell - always works
Non epic spells - requires specific spells, and lots or prepared spell to work
Random chance that it just happens

That's why I listed it.

Averis Vol
2013-02-26, 12:28 AM
IIRC, the Elder Evil concept is of a specific Worm That Walks. Even more specifically, it refers to Kyuss, a God-Worm That Walks. Lesser Worms would still exist despite that, since there are circumstances by which new ones can be created either deliberately or spontaneously.

Valid points. Yea, you're right.

EDIT: well, they give a way to become a worm that walks, so I guess it is reasonable to become one. This, of course, all relies upon your DM and some random chance as it takes a year and a day to complete the required ritual, then you just need to hope you had spells to cast when you died, other wise you have no chance. Though by the description you cannot be born a worm that walks, you have to die first, be epic leveled, perform a very tedious ritual that may or may not get interrupted over the course of a year and be wholly evil.

if you can do all that you may be a worm that walks.

8wGremlin
2013-02-26, 12:44 AM
if you can do all that you may be a worm that walks.

One of the very last line it states this:

Some worms that walk arise spontaneously from ordinary burial plots, but such an event is exceedingly rare.

So you could actually play a 1st level wizard, die, and be the 'exceedingly rare event'

No DM in their right mind would let you, but in theory it's possible

Urpriest
2013-02-26, 12:53 AM
I completely understand the no LA usually means not available for PC play.

But, here me out here, there are three obvious way that a pc can get this template

Epic spell - always works
Non epic spells - requires specific spells, and lots or prepared spell to work
Random chance that it just happens

That's why I listed it.

Yes, and because it's LA --, any one of those ways will instantly make you into an NPC.

8wGremlin
2013-02-26, 01:37 AM
Yes, and because it's LA --, any one of those ways will instantly make you into an NPC.

But yes your right, Ur-priest, LA -- makes you a NPC..
I did just say that it was possible
and as an aside, a cruel DM could actually spring one on you, as a CR 3 creature!

Ravens_cry
2013-02-26, 01:45 AM
But yes your right, Ur-priest, LA -- makes you a NPC..
I did just say that it was possible
and as an aside, a cruel DM could actually spring one on you, as a CR 3 creature!
And when ye go out of that game table, shake off the very dust from your feet for a testimony against them.:smallsigh:

Averis Vol
2013-02-26, 02:10 AM
One of the very last line it states this:

So you could actually play a 1st level wizard, die, and be the 'exceedingly rare event'

No DM in their right mind would let you, but in theory it's possible

I read and understand it, and yes, this is a game; everythings possible.

ShurikVch
2013-02-26, 11:24 AM
This template was originally printed in the ELH.
Example creature was a 23th lvl wizard.
Table "Monsters by Challenge Rating" also listed ECL.
"Worm that walks" have ECL 27. Thus LA +4. Like a lich.

Also, low-level WtW is a good way to break E6. :wink:

Tanuki Tales
2013-02-26, 11:38 AM
Pathfinder makes it clearly rules legal for a PC to be a Worm that Walks (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/worm-that-walks-cr-2) at low levels. :smalltongue:

Dusk Eclipse
2013-02-26, 11:40 AM
Are there any rules to dispel epic spells? If so some Worm that Walks are definitely succeptible to dispel (or more likely Disjunction) as the duration of the Gathering of Maggots is Permanent, not instantaneous:smallamused: