PDA

View Full Version : [PF} Hand of the Apprentice, Now with 100% Real Hands

Certified
2013-02-25, 10:36 PM
Picture if you will a Universalist Wizard, looking to pick up some extra damage through Kirin Style for their Ranged Spells. Once they possess Improved Unarmed could the Wizard then say launch his fist with Hand of the Apprentice?

Psyren
2013-02-25, 11:03 PM
Am I reading the right Kirin Style? (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/kirin-style-combat-style) I don't see it adding any damage, only defense.

Anyway, what you're basically asking with the second part of the question is "can I throw Unarmed Strike" and the answer is unfortunately no. You can only throw melee weapons (and those without a ranged increment will take an "improvised" penalty); however "unarmed strike" is not actually on any of the melee weapons table, it has its own table. (Specifically, the "unarmed attacks" table.) Thus, unarmed strike cannot be thrown, even as an improvised weapon.

Certified
2013-02-25, 11:11 PM
The damage comes from the second Feat in the Style, Kirin Strike.

Kirin Strike (Combat)
You have read the texts of the perfect way, and know how identify to your enemies' weak spot.
Prerequisites: Int 13, Kirin Style, Improved Unarmed Strike, Knowledge (arcana) 9 ranks, Knowledge (dungeoneering, local, nature, planes, or religion) 3 ranks.
Benefit: You gain a +2 insight bonus on Knowledge checks made to identify creatures, including the one Kirin Style allows. While using Kirin Style against a creature you have identified using that feat, as a swift action after you have hit a creature with a melee or ranged attack, you can add twice your Intelligence modifier in damage (minimum 2).

That said, it's unfortunate, if only because that would be a hilarious, or disturbing, image of this hand severing itself and flying at someone. So much for Hand of the Apprentice being an actual hand.

icefractal
2013-02-26, 06:14 AM
Unarmed strike not being a melee weapon creates some very strange results though. In fact, I'm not convinced it isn't one - it may have a special section, but it's also mentioned as a "light weapon" in the "Light, One-Handed, and Two-Handed Melee Weapons" section.

Alienist
2013-02-26, 09:10 AM
Of course you can throw your fists. This is 3.5 after all. Just don't throw both of them or you won't be able to pick them back up...

Psyren
2013-02-26, 09:27 AM
Unarmed strike not being a melee weapon creates some very strange results though. In fact, I'm not convinced it isn't one - it may have a special section, but it's also mentioned as a "light weapon" in the "Light, One-Handed, and Two-Handed Melee Weapons" section.

It is described as a "light weapon" but not as a "light melee weapon." In fact, if you go from there to the "Light Melee Weapons" table, Unarmed Strike is absent (again, because it is on its own table.)

Of course you can throw your fists. This is 3.5 after all.

It's actually Pathfinder (as denoted by the "PF" in the thread title.)

Alienist
2013-02-26, 10:34 AM
It's actually Pathfinder (as denoted by the "PF" in the thread title.)

*rolls eyes* I know that. Sadly you don't get any xp for killing the joke, because its CR was too low.

Judges decision is final, no correspondence will be entered into.