PDA

View Full Version : AoO > Celerity > AoO

Miriad
2013-02-25, 11:52 PM
I ran into the following situation on our last session.

Player 1 generates an AoO from a monster by doing something stupid
Before the dice is rolled but after I announce the AoO player 2 uses Celerity. He casts right next to the creature generating an AoO. This creature does not have combat reflexes. Does it get the AoO against the celerity caster or does it have to stick to the AoO on player 1? Would it be different if the dice had been rolled and the result not announced or if celerity had been cast before announcing the AoO?

Cranthis
2013-02-25, 11:56 PM
I ran into the following situation on our last session.

Player 1 generates an AoO from a monster by doing something stupid
Before the dice is rolled but after I announce the AoO player 2 uses Celerity. He casts right next to the creature generating an AoO. This creature does not have combat reflexes. Does it get the AoO against the celerity caster or does it have to stick to the AoO on player 1? Would it be different if the dice had been rolled and the result not announced or if celerity had been cast before announcing the AoO?

I would assume it would it would get the AoO against the first generated oppurtunity, in this case being the moving character.

andromax
2013-02-26, 12:04 AM
Celerity doesn't provoke because of it's casting time.

Cruiser1
2013-02-26, 12:13 AM
Celerity doesn't provoke because of it's casting time.
That's right. However, what you do with the standard action Celerity gives you might provoke, such as non-defensively casting a spell with a standard action casting time.

Does it get the AoO against the celerity caster or does it have to stick to the AoO on player 1?
Celerity allows you to interrupt another player's turn. For example, if someone's casting Teleport, interrupt their turn to cast Dimensional Anchor on them first. If you do something with Celerity's standard action that provokes, the AoO goes against that action, since it "happens first" (instead of the provoking action by player 1).

LTwerewolf
2013-02-26, 12:15 AM
Remember that you're not obligated to make your AoO if you don't want to, and npc's don't either. They can decide which is more advantageous to them.

Kazyan
2013-02-26, 12:54 AM
Yeah, you can get an AoO against actions that occur during Celerity. This was demonstrated when a fellow player was learning the ropes of it; he interrupted a troll's attack against him to blast it in kind, but forgot to cast defensively. The troll got the opportunity to attack him, then resumed attacking him.

Carth
2013-02-26, 01:35 AM
Well, but making the AoO is what would trigger the casting of celerity, not provoking it. If the caster didn't see the creature swing at him as he was moving by, there'd simply be no need to cast celerity.