PDA

View Full Version : The Nightside: an adult's Monsters Inc.

Socratov
2013-02-26, 03:30 AM
Hi there playgrounders/forumites/what have you and welcome to another thread on the sort of medium found on dead trees (or if you are particularly modern, tablets and e-ink devices).

This time it's about Simon R. Green's novels on John Taylor and his adventures in the Nightside, the shadow side of London.

Before we start I'd like to anounce some rules/regulations:

Don't spoil everything here, some people have not read it, please, if it's a (major) plot point or significant detail be kind enough to put it in spoilertags. If however it's insignificant or mostly about your opinion on the style of writing and storutelling, feel free to leave them unspoilered. If you spoiler text, please tell what the spoiler is about like so:

[particular book/storyline]
spoilered information

This way people know whether it's about something they already read or not. Ofcourse all forumrules apply.

So, the Nightside. Yeah. It's a series of books on a private investigator with a certain knack of finding things situated in the Nightside: an alternate dimension alongside London. The nightside is (probably) the only place free of direct involvement of both Heaven and Hell and thus caters to everyone's desire unchecked by morality. With every sin you can think of offered at the quite often the payment of your own, or indeed another's soul, being the place where ultimate freedom reigns supreme. I'd like to tell more, but then I'd spoil everything. The books are written in an urban fantasy setting (present day with heavy fantasy and SF influences) and the style is so noir that the movie Sin City seems in technicolor by comparison. With quite some thriller and humour elements the series makes for a great read and a particularly good way to pass the time between novels of the Dresden Files (another great read). Here is a link to the TvTropes page on the Nightside, click at your own risk! (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Literature/Nightside?from=Main.Nightside)

So, I encountered the series as a suggestion both these forums as well as the Jim Butcher forums as a way to pass the time while waiting for Jim's next book (though I'm almost through it by now, so I'll have to find a new thing to keep me busy, maybe one of the other series by Simon R Green if I can find them). I like the atmosphere and funny descriptions the tones of humour, cyninism and sarcasm are readyly available and they never cease to make me laugh out loud (quite annoying for people in the room). I think the amount of action and humour is masterfully mixed and the storylines are well thought out, even though at a certain point continuity gives me headache when timetravel* gets into the picture and tramples continuity so hard it's whimpering in the corner.

[overarcing plot]
I do feel that the series could have been split into the Lilith War (more or less a series plot in itself) and the rest of the books. AFter the war was won I felt a little bit empty inside. I did like the way Simon picked up after the war with part aftermath of the lilith war (the Griffin), part going on with new stories. (new cases and John becoming Walker)

And yes, this is a major spoiler for those who haven't read the books yet.

Another thing I like about these books is even though John always finds the answer at exactly the right time (and not a moment too soon) even if the situation seems hopeless, John doesn't feel like a Mary Sue (again, TvTropes link, Beware!) (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MarySue). I think it's quite the opposite: John gets beaten up regularly and his tricks are often thwarted.

So, dear fellow forumites, did you all like the Nightside? Why did or didn't you like it? Wat do you think is the stronges point in favor of/against the Nightside series?

Please let me know :smallamused:

*this an example of a minor spoiler where spoilering is not neccessary since knowing timetravel will happen won't detract form the fun of reading the story. :smallwink:

Socratov
2013-03-04, 07:41 AM
So, apparently nobody (yet) reads Simon R Green here?

A pity, his books deserve to be read, especially by Dresden Files fans...

Killer Angel
2013-03-04, 07:57 AM
It seems interesting, but why Monsters Inc.?
My take, is that it seems more a sort of "detective in Neverwhere"...

Socratov
2013-03-04, 08:01 AM
It seems interesting, but why Monsters Inc.?
My take, is that it seems more a sort of "detective in Neverwhere"...

which is indeed another apt description, but I was exploring the 'hidden land harboring every monster that was dreamt up by man and they might not be entirely the way you think' line of thinking :smallbiggrin:

But then noir ofcourse (even worse then Sin City, which was quite noir to begin with, I even read in nightmodus on my tablet :smalltongue::smallbiggrin:).

Killer Angel
2013-03-04, 08:05 AM
which is indeed another apt description, but I was exploring the 'hidden land harboring every monster that was dreamt up by man and they might not be entirely the way you think' line of thinking :smallbiggrin:

Well, it has been added to my "must read" list... :smallwink:

Socratov
2013-03-04, 08:10 AM
Well, it has been added to my "must read" list... :smallwink:

Good, good... *steeples with elbow on table*

1 warning though, it's highly addictive, fortunately (or not) it's only about 12 books or something :smallamused:

hamishspence
2013-03-04, 10:59 AM
So, apparently nobody (yet) reads Simon R Green here?

A pity, his books deserve to be read, especially by Dresden Files fans...

So far I've read two Hawk & Fisher stories, all the Deathstalker stories, and I think 3 of the Nightside stories, and liked them all.

Socratov
2013-03-05, 02:37 AM
So far I've read two Hawk & Fisher stories, all the Deathstalker stories, and I think 3 of the Nightside stories, and liked them all.

how are the hawk and fisher novels? Are they in any way comparable to the nightside novels? (I still need to read those, currently working myselfk through the Iron Druid Novels)

hamishspence
2013-03-05, 04:31 AM
They're a bit closer to conventional fantasy- but I found them entertaining. Hawk & Fisher are basically fantasy detectives. They investigate. And sometimes do bodyguarding work.

darkblade
2013-03-05, 08:12 AM
I read the first two Nightside novels after receiving glowing recommendations from friends. I was a bit disappointed with them, they both seemed very formulaic, gradually moving from set piece to set piece to highlight how weird Nightside is supposed to be without really leaving much of an impression.

Suzie Shooter is the ultimate distillation of the Urban Fantasy heroine though.

industrious
2013-03-06, 03:08 PM
I always thought of them as really really good "B-novels," for lack of a better term. They are fun, though.

INDYSTAR188
2013-03-06, 09:08 PM
I'm going to add it to my Amazon 'items to purchase later' list because you've piqued my interest. But first I have to finish the Diskworld books I bought (Guards! Guards! and Men at Arms) and the Godspeaker books by Karen Miller.

Tvtyrant
2013-03-07, 12:59 AM
I read them all at the bookstore. They are fun, but they take so little time to read that it would be crazy to buy them.

The thing I really enjoyed about the books is the steady increase in power, with Taylor starting out constantly afraid and ending with a deserved reputation for obliteration.

An Enemy Spy
2013-03-09, 10:46 PM
Monsters Inc. already is good for adults. I should know, having been one once.

Socratov
2013-03-11, 06:00 AM
I read them all at the bookstore. They are fun, but they take so little time to read that it would be crazy to buy them.

The thing I really enjoyed about the books is the steady increase in power, with Taylor starting out constantly afraid and ending with a deserved reputation for obliteration.
yes, I mean, he rarely gets upgrades to his power (other then gaining and losing doodads) he just uses his gift in new and inventive ways...

Spoiler after Sharper then a Serpent's Tooth
It does help that he actually gets to use his gift without getting chased by the harrowing eventually, even though it gets shut down from time to time. And Ofcourse, his werewolfblood helps a lot...

Monsters Inc. already is good for adults. I should know, having been one once. Yeah, I've just hold off on adulthood, just acting like one and for the rest staying young in mind forever :smallcool: