PDA

View Full Version : Need Moon Phase Info for Game

SpaceBadger
2013-02-26, 05:02 AM
I have an inspiration for a single player RPG based on a modernization of Roger Zelazny's "A Night in the Lonesome October". I've located some online moon-phase calendars for recent and upcoming years, but am still looking for one that will let me look up phases back to 1880s and 1890s (to roughly place the events of the novel, as the main characters of Snuff, Greymalk, Jack and Jill will be important NPCs). Anybody have links to either a calendar or some formula by which I might calculate phases that far back? The ones I have found so far only go back to either 1951 or 1930.

SpaceBadger
2013-02-26, 05:21 AM
Due to the time commitment this will take to do it as well as I would like, I am currently planning to run it as a single player RPG, with myself as GM. I am torn between offering it first to my youngest daughter, who has never read the book and would really be figuring it all out as she goes, or to my oldest son, who is an aficianado of the book as I am, and would doubtless figure out what was going on soon after starting, with only the mystery of figuring out who the other Players are, which are Openers and which are Closers, and working through the intrigues leading up to the final night of the full moon.

In either case they will get to choose an animal to play, who will be called as a familiar of one of the Players, which I will randomly determine as being Opener or Closer in sympathies, although that may change during the game due to the activities of the familiar. I hope to make the intrigues and information gathering as similar as possible to the happenings in the book, although in a modern setting and with a new cast of Players (Jack and Jill returning, as stated above).

Most of the "action" will be information-gathering and dialogue w other familiars and sometimes Players, but I intend to use Fudge for resolution of any action-action as may be required.

If it turns out a success, I will organize my notes and post them somewhere online for others to use.

geeky_monkey
2013-02-26, 05:23 AM
NASA are your friend here. They have calendars going back centuries:

http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/phase/phases-1899.html

SpaceBadger
2013-02-27, 05:09 PM
Thanks! :smallsmile: