PDA

View Full Version : Interpreting Omens

Canis Wolfsong
2013-02-26, 11:52 AM
Hello Playground,

We have recently started a campaign that takes place in a rather remote and very rural country, good example would be Tolkien's Rohan. As we continued our campaign our DM would throwing these little easter eggs of npcs mentioning some thing to do with the "Red Star", now this is a star that none of us see and various knowledge checks reveal nothing significant regarding this rather unnerving omen. It should be noted that so far the only people that have seen/mentioned the star are either crazed homeless beggars, a young girl being burnt at the stake, and a centaur druid during a harvest festival. Having made the trip to a city where we encountered the girl who burnt at the stake and the beggars we learned of the "Red Fever" a growing concern in the slums as more and more undesirable are becoming husks doing nothing but rocking themselves and mutter "the red star" over and over. Now we find out that the Lord's son has taken "ill" with a "fever" so it may no longer be restricted to beggars and witches. I was hoping that the Playground could assist me in gathering ideas and interpretations of these events as I would like to have an edge/insight into this situation should the this whole star business go south. Please let me know your thoughts, thanks in advance.

Psyren
2013-02-26, 12:34 PM
It sounds like your DM has something planned, so just roll with it. (And don't drink the water.)

Slipperychicken
2013-02-26, 03:27 PM
Could be a thinly-veiled allegory for Communism. Might want to watch the slums, the workers, those who are the dirt of society. Also those who sympathize with them or are open to radical ideas.

mattie_p
2013-02-26, 03:31 PM
Could be something similar to dragonriders of Pern books - a sign of a plague of enemies to come. Could be something like the red moon (blood moon?) in the Sword of Truth books - a sign where particular actions must be taken to avert catastrophe.