PDA

View Full Version : Modern Technology and the DM

Dimestoretiamat
2013-02-26, 01:27 PM
I have been considering getting a tablet recently given the fact that my tax refund should provide me with ample funds to get one. One of the main things I will be doing with it is using it as a storage place for all my PDF books and character notes so that I can easily transport them to games and use them easily. Do any of you use tablets as gaming libraries? If so, what do you use? I was considering a Kindle Fire as they are pretty cheap. All I really need it to do is read PDFs and .docx files.

Tsriel
2013-02-26, 02:26 PM
Tablets? No, simply because I need to be able to have multiple windows open. I have maps to display, monster stats to look up, and I DJ the game to boot. I'd recommend getting a labtop from Newegg. You'll get way more processing power and versatility for practically the same cost as you would with an iPad.

mjlush
2013-02-26, 02:59 PM
I have been considering getting a tablet recently given the fact that my tax refund should provide me with ample funds to get one. One of the main things I will be doing with it is using it as a storage place for all my PDF books and character notes so that I can easily transport them to games and use them easily. Do any of you use tablets as gaming libraries? If so, what do you use? I was considering a Kindle Fire as they are pretty cheap. All I really need it to do is read PDFs and .docx files.

IMHO tablets are for reading books one page at a time they suck, at reference where you want to flip between chapters and books. There may be better pdf readers I've not encountered but pdf rather sucks as a format as well.

If you have your reference in a wiki with the whole thing broken up into small pages (this is a lot of work!) but it does mean that you can navigate ti quickly and keep multiple tabs open in a web browser.

Don't let this stop you getting a tablet there great for other stuff but not expect it to be a library in your pocket or a great place to make notes into .

valadil
2013-02-26, 03:18 PM
It's not ideal, but I've actually used my iPhone when it's the only access I have. I wouldn't read anything cover to cover, but text search for the name of a Spell or Feat is fine.

Re: docx. I don't know if an eReader will do that, but if you set up a pdf printer on your computer, you can print a .docx document to the pdf printer and have a pdf file come out.