PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Help me trap an inn

Valwyn
2013-02-26, 03:22 PM
Hi. My DM is currently invading a city and we are going to trap the inn in which we're staying in case his hordes of undead abominations, elite assassins and summoned monsters break through.

Anyway, here's the map (http://circleoffour.edpt.org/images/map_Tavern.jpg) we're using.

We have 10.000 gp to build the traps. Not much, I know, but on the other hand, we got our supplies from a very rich family of thieves, so we can use pretty much anything. My rogue has a modifier of +21 to Craft (Traps), along with a small army of Unseen Servants, an NPC with an unknown amount of ranks in Craft (Traps), two wizards using the spell point variant system (so covering the whole inn with symbols shouldn't be much of a problem), an assassin (so we can handle poisons and the like safely), and a bunch of party members (both PC and NPC) who can at least Aid Another. One of the wizards has Craft Wondrous Items, so my rogue can work with him to build magic traps.

We are ignoring the construction time of the traps, so no issues there.

Some things to take into account:

This is a high level campaign (currently about level 15 and no clear end in sight).
NPCs are hyper-competent, especially the bad guys.
Antimagic fields are common and can be either mobile or stationary.
Undead are not only common but are currently receiving insane bonuses (ranging from +X to stats to spell-like abilities and feats), always have at least Int 10, can't be rebuked or controlled, can level drain with natural attacks (and gain bonuses/abilities/level up from it), are being directed/aided/manipulated by something that tells them stuff they shouldn't be able to know/think about (disarm the druid of his wilding clasps, make use of Aid Another in combat, etc), etc.
The city is Consacrated.
We can't teleport inside the city more than 30 ft away (unless you are a guard).
All Conjuration [Healing] spells are being nerffed. They currently get a -3 CL (and will likely get worse again soon enough). Magic items not crafted at high enough CL do not work (for example, you need to buy potions of CSW at at least CL 8 (and even then, it would only have the effects of a CL 5 CSW) since a level 5 cleric has an effective CL of 2, which is not enough to cast the spell.)
All Necromancy spells get a +3 CL.
No Libris Mortis. If a spell/item/whatever was reprinted somewhere else (Spell Compendium, Magic Item Compendium), we can't use it. We can, however, use Positoxines for the purpose of trapping the inn, but if their name is any indication, they probably got turned into expensive water due to CL reduction.

Thanks in advance. :smalltongue:

King Atticus
2013-02-26, 03:30 PM
Maybe not all you want to do but cast Guards and Wards (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/guardsAndWards.htm) and cover the whole building.

Karoht
2013-02-26, 03:40 PM
The following assumes you want to really get the most use out of that 10000 you have to spend. Here's some cheap and easy suggestions, the kinds of stuff that a craft skill and some time can take care of without too much issue.

1-Snares are cheap and easy.
2-Tripwires are cheap and easy.
3-Never underestimate the value of things falling down a flight of stairs at someone. Heck, even some empty barrels/casks will do rather well. Or full ones. With something flamable/acidic in them. Or Holy Water. Up to you. Depends on what kind of collateral damage you are okay with. A few scuffs on the wall, or possibly burning the whole house down.
4-Caltrops. Yes. Not great against those Undead though. Cheap poison delivery system in a pinch.
5-Oil is cheap. Stairs are rather annoying to climb when they are covered in oil/grease. At worst, someone casts Resist fire to take care of the incidental damage, and you might burn down house or two.
6-Basic launchers for Alchemical items/substances. Smokesticks don't have a save, it blocks line of sight, etc. Can be useful. Shoot Tanglefoot bags at enemies trying to climb stairs or overcome other obstacles.
7-Be prepared to jump out a window.

Do you already have an Immoveable Rod or two?

In fact, knowledge of your general inventory would be keen.

Gnomish Wanderer
2013-02-26, 03:42 PM
For a moment I was thinking about why an inn would be moving.

TroubleBrewing
2013-02-26, 04:27 PM
I was about to suggest a really, really, really, really big net.

Lapak
2013-02-26, 04:42 PM
Are the undead you're facing mostly corporeal? Because rather than layering the place with Symbols you could use those same spell points to turn the place into a murder-maze with Walls of Stone. Turn the outside and inside into one long, winding 5-foot corridor with a series of larger chambers along the way. Wait in a chamber, use the fact that they can only put one guy at the front to just grind them away with attacks. Retreat to fallback chambers for recovery and healing, repeat.

If you can arrange for one or more of those 'common' AMFs to be in the inn, all the better, because Energy Drain is a Supernatural ability and should not function in them. Assuming that these undead have otherwise-normal physical stats, you should be able to grind hundreds - maybe thousands - of them up before running into serious trouble.

EDIT: Come to think of it, AMFs would deal with the incorporeal dead problem as well since they wink out of existence in them.

TuggyNE
2013-02-26, 07:42 PM

Me too, seriously. I was thinking, "You know, it's not all that hard. Just make sure to leave some noble guests out as bait." :smalltongue:

Invader
2013-02-26, 08:09 PM
You can check here for various magic traps and their cost but be warned they can get pretty expensive pretty quick.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/traps.htm#cr7BladeBarrierTrap

Annos
2013-02-26, 08:18 PM
Check out the lair wards in Drc and DoF, the baleful polymorph gem is always fun to war sling at an opponent :smallbiggrin:

Valwyn
2013-02-26, 09:28 PM
Maybe not all you want to do but cast Guards and Wards and cover the whole building.

Good idea. I'll see if we can get a scroll.

3-Never underestimate the value of things falling down a flight of stairs at someone. Heck, even some empty barrels/casks will do rather well. Or full ones. With something flamable/acidic in them. Or Holy Water. Up to you. Depends on what kind of collateral damage you are okay with. A few scuffs on the wall, or possibly burning the whole house down.

I like that. :smallamused:

6-Basic launchers for Alchemical items/substances. Smokesticks don't have a save, it blocks line of sight, etc. Can be useful. Shoot Tanglefoot bags at enemies trying to climb stairs or overcome other obstacles.

I'm pretty sure the house rules my DM uses makes touch attacks hard to pull off unless the target is flat-footed, but it's still a good idea.

In fact, knowledge of your general inventory would be keen.

I can't speak for the others, but my invetory consists of:
Cloak of Arachnida
Ring of Feather Fall
Scout's Headband
Dimension Stride Boots
Dragon Mask
Rope, Silk: 10 gp 5 lb
Torch x3: 3 cp, 3 lb
Wand of Benign Transposition (50 charges) = 750 gp
Wand of Summon Monster II (25 charges) = 2,250 gp
Wand of Detect Magic (46 charges) = 375 gp
Wand of Detect Poison (49 charges) = 375 gp
Wand of Detect Secret Doors (47 charges) = 750 gp
Scroll of Dimension Door x2 = 1400 gp
Wand of Melf’s Acid Arrow (25 charges) = 2,250 gp
Scroll of Silence x1 = 150 gp
Scroll of Stone Shape x2 = 750 gp
Pole, 10-foot: 2 sp, 8 lb
5000 gp in diamond dust
Masterwork Longspoon Thievetools (3 lb)
Potion of Gaseous form (10 min) x2 = 1400 gp
Potion of water breathing: 375 gp
Potion of Mirror Image x1 = 300 gp
Potion of Protection vs Evil x5 = 250 gp
Potion of True Strike x4 = 200 gp
Holy water x 10: 250 gp, 10 lb
Talisman of the disk: 500 gp, 0 lb
Masterwork Thieves’ tools: 100 gp 2 lb.
Hammer: 5 sp 2 lb
Candle x20: 2 sp —
Chalk, 20 piece: 2 sp
Flint and steel: 1 gp
Signal whistle: 8 sp —
Tindertwig x10: 10 gp
Universal Solvent: 50 gp.
Antitoxin x4 = 200 GP
Clearwater Tablets x 10 = 10 gp
Rust Cube x10 = 1000 gp
Mirror, Small Steel: 10 gp, 0.5 lb
Potion of Invisibility x1
5 alchemist fire: 100 gp, 0.5
5 acid flasks: 50 gp, 0.5
4 sacks: 4 sp, 0.2 lb
Potion of fly x2

[Can you tell this is my first real game and that I am the skillmonkey?]

A mimic? :smalltongue:

Damn. Why didn't we invest in Craft (Rope) when we had the chance? :smallsigh:

Me too, seriously. I was thinking, "You know, it's not all that hard. Just make sure to leave some noble guests out as bait."

The inn is on a low-fat diet. :smallfrown:

Are the undead you're facing mostly corporeal?

Yes. So far we've faced ghosts (human and a medusa), wights, zombies (some of them with Greater Dispel Magic as an SLA), a wendigo, vampires, alips, bloodmote clouds, a boneyard, vampiric dire wolves, treants, a solar/arch angel of some sort... that's all I can think of right now.

turn the place into a murder-maze with Walls of Stone.

I really like the idea, and we could use it outside the inn and maybe the first floor, but I'm pretty sure my DM would rule that all that stone would break second floor. Also, his casters will probably have Stone Shape.

Assuming that these undead have otherwise-normal physical stats, you should be able to grind hundreds - maybe thousands - of them up before running into serious trouble.

Problem is they don't. Also, if any of them managed to drain a level, they will blow up when they die, healing the other undead and hurting us. But it's still possible.

You can check here for various magic traps and their cost but be warned they can get pretty expensive pretty quick.

Will do. Sadly, as you've said, most of them cost too much.

Check out the lair wards in Drc and DoF, the baleful polymorph gem is always fun to war sling at an opponent

I didn't know about these. Thanks. :smalltongue:

Thanks for all the ideas! :smallbiggrin:

Fyermind
2013-02-26, 11:06 PM
I'd think about making a spell turret caster level 10 of second level Archivist Spells.

It would include Cure moderate wounds, Haste, Aid, and Blur. This would give you a great place for a last stand. You'd all be under continuous haste (10 targets, 1 min duration cast every 30 seconds), Aid (1 target, 10 minute duration, 1 target every 30 seconds), and Blur (1 target, 10 minute duration, 1 target every 30 seconds). Furthermore, every 30 seconds, someone would get healed 1d8+7 hp. Combine this with spells that act like traps (Guards and wards, firetrap, ghoul glyph, etc) and you should have a decent last stand location.

falloutimperial
2013-02-27, 06:34 AM
If you are in a city, I recommend you hire a few mercenaries.

Valwyn
2013-02-27, 09:57 AM
I'd think about making a spell turret caster level 10 of second level Archivist Spells.

We don't have an Archivist, and I doubt we'll find one on such short notice. Plus, it'd have to be one with craft feats.

If you are in a city, I recommend you hire a few mercenaries.

I suppose we could try to get a group or two to help us.

ZamielVanWeber
2013-02-27, 12:44 PM
I really like the idea, and we could use it outside the inn and maybe the first floor, but I'm pretty sure my DM would rule that all that stone would break second floor.

If any of your characters have Knowledge (Dungeoneering) or Profession (Construction) or the like you can easily make it so that the second floor supports the stone.

Shining Wrath
2013-02-27, 01:06 PM
Bear traps or the equivalent. Something that will clamp onto the foot / leg HARD. Does damage, slows them down.

Grease. Then set it on fire.

Go watch Home Alone. All the basics.

You are now Tucker's Kobolds. Do unto monsters as they would do unto you.

Flour. Lots of it. Incorporeal undead and sneaky invisible rogues will become visible. And footprints can be your friend. And it also burns, like sawdust.

Remove the treads from stairs. Less agile monsters (standard zombies) will not be able to climb it at all. More agile ones will be at some risk of falling through, especially when you hit them in the face with a mace.

Murder holes. Let them in, drop portcullis before and behind, fire through small holes in ceiling (or drop something they won't like on them). If they lack ranged weapons, you can stand 11 feet from the front portcullis and shoot them over and over.

Which brings up a basic point: don't run out of bolts and arrows and tanglefoot bags and vials of holy water and oil and a wand of Grease.

Slipperychicken
2013-02-27, 02:31 PM
Marbles (Ref/fall, flat-footed without 5 Balance ranks) and Caltrops. Everywhere.

Cast Sacred Item (CChamp, Clr/Pal 4) on... everything. No-save 10d4 against any undead creature or [evil] outsider who touches a Sacred Item. Yes, you can cast this on ammunition, doors, splash weapons (like Holy Water), normal weapons, gloves, gauntlets, armor, trip wires, marbles, specks of dust, and so on. Everything you can get your grubby hands on. Get every 4th level or higher Cleric slot you have on this, and Chain it if possible (~15 in one casting). If your Cleric has Maximize/Empower metamagics, now's the time to use them :smallbiggrin:

Explosive Runes. In the same spirit as Sacred Item. Blow people up. Better if you can attach some pop-up mechanism (like in shooting galleries). Shouldn't be too hard if you've already got real traps.

Hallow (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/hallow.htm) the building. The magic circle effect takes care of most Summoned monsters and evil outsiders. Attach Death Ward to it, if the negative energy is giving you problems.

Consider Forbiddance (Clr 6) too. It damages creatures with different alignments from the caster who enter.

Hide from Undead is one buff to consider. Only 1st level, so not much opportunity cost there.

To hide civilians, get someone to cast Rope Trick or Magnificent Mansion.

EDIT: Remember all those shenanigans with Illusory Wall (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/illusoryWall.htm)? Yeah, you can do those now.

Shining Wrath
2013-02-27, 03:10 PM
Protection from Evil / Magic Circle Against Evil. Low duration but may save your bacon from summoned monsters or vampires with dominate.

Get vials of alchemical silver - 250 GP, but allows your weapon to hit as though a silver weapon. Some undead won't like you very much if you do that.

In fact, I remember Conan killing a demon in one of Howard's short stories by throwing a 90 pound silver chandelier at it. Unless your DM is a big meanie, hitting a vulnerable undead critter with a big batch of silverware ought to annoy it a lot.

Heal spells hurt undead (see today's comic). Use healing potions as bombs. Use wands of Cure Light to finish off the wounded.

Dust of Sneezing and Choking will do wonders if you can drop it on elite assassins; not so much if dropped on zombies.

Decanter of Endless Water. At the top of the stairs. With a straight line to the front door.

Eversmoking Bottle to cover your retreat / delay their movement.

Valwyn
2013-02-27, 03:45 PM
Flour. Lots of it. Incorporeal undead and sneaky invisible rogues will become visible. And footprints can be your friend. And it also burns, like sawdust.

I was actually planning on it. :smallamused:
About time we turn one of our DM's tricks on him. (He caught a few characters in a pit with an AMF and tricked them into lighting a torch. It wasn't pretty.)

Murder holes. Let them in, drop portcullis before and behind, fire through small holes in ceiling (or drop something they won't like on them). If they lack ranged weapons, you can stand 11 feet from the front portcullis and shoot them over and over.

I'll see what I can do. We did get a bunch of nice crossbows. Maybe we could even fire a few spells through them.

Heal spells hurt undead (see today's comic). Use healing potions as bombs. Use wands of Cure Light to finish off the wounded.

Unfortunately, most Cure items are basically useless now because of the setting.

Dust of Sneezing and Choking will do wonders if you can drop it on elite assassins; not so much if dropped on zombies.

I'm pretty sure this item is banned, but I'll check.

Decanter of Endless Water. At the top of the stairs. With a straight line to the front door.

Or a Dust of Dryness and holy water combo. :smalltongue:
Oh! Or a Decanter of Endless Aximatically Holy Water! :smallbiggrin: But that will have to wait until later.

Quirp
2013-02-27, 03:48 PM
If you have a cleric or access to a scroll of Celestial Brilliance (BoED, 4th level) you should drop all spells into that one. It deals damage to undead in a 60 ft radius (no save, no SR) and has a duration of days/level. Just put that on anything you can get your hands on and you are set.

Shining Wrath
2013-02-27, 04:23 PM
Don't forget the basic for your crossbows: enfilade.

If you have two people firing from the north, and two from the east, then there is no way to be behind cover from both directions.

TroubleBrewing
2013-02-27, 05:06 PM
Don't forget the basic for your crossbows: enfilade.

If you have two people firing from the north, and two from the east, then there is no way to be behind cover from both directions.

... ?

Sure there is. Get behind the (traditionally) L-shaped bar, which comes fully stocked with flammable projectiles!

Shining Wrath
2013-02-27, 05:37 PM
... ?

Sure there is. Get behind the (traditionally) L-shaped bar, which comes fully stocked with flammable projectiles!

OK, there's no SIMPLE object that provides cover from both directions.
And if they are hiding behind the bar, they richly deserve a flaming arrow into the Drunken Dragon Dinkum Drink (ABV 99.999999999999%).

Slipperychicken
2013-02-27, 06:26 PM
... ?

Why no-one's sitting behind that bar with a ranged weapon is anyone's guess. And why you left all the tables and chairs in their normal positions while you're trying to barricade the place is another mystery.

Use sideways-oriented tables, the bar, and other furniture as cover for your people who aren't on the front lines. Like ranged guys and casters.

If you can predict the entry-point (that door?), try to hole them up there. Surrounding it with reach weapons and putting difficult terrain there is one idea. Actually, make every square you don't have immediate use for into difficult terrain so they have go half-movement through your hell-tavern.