PDA

View Full Version : Quality Real Time Tactical Games?

kardar233
2013-02-26, 05:37 PM
Hey all,

I'm looking for RTT games in the vein of the Mechcommander and World in Conflict series. What good experiences have you had with this style of games?

Hiro Protagonest
2013-02-26, 06:17 PM
Company of Heroes.

Grif
2013-02-26, 08:50 PM
Men of War (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Men_of_War).

Has the added bonus of having VAs so bad, it's good.

Brother Oni
2013-02-27, 07:13 AM
Dawn of War 1 and 2.

Artanis
2013-02-27, 07:22 AM
MechCommander 2 was not bad. Not as good as the first one, but enjoyable enough. You can also get it free off Microsoft's website.

Aotrs Commander
2013-02-27, 07:38 AM
I thought MC2 was leagues away better than MC myself (never did complete the first one, but I've played through MC 2 several times.) Milage and all that.

CarpeGuitarrem
2013-02-27, 09:49 AM
I think this is the genre that Freedom Force falls under? That game is boss.

Triaxx
2013-02-28, 10:32 AM
I'm seriously enjoying 7.62mm High Calibre, even though it's rather insanely hard.

Murska
2013-02-28, 12:33 PM
I have to second Men of War. Men of War - Assault Squad, for multiplayer. It's really fun, good physics, lots of tactical options, realism and functions well. It's a bit difficult to get into, though.

Cespenar
2013-03-01, 06:39 AM
There was the Myth series, once.

GolemsVoice
2013-03-01, 07:50 AM
Company of Heroes and Dawn of War are definitively good games, both, DoW maybe more if you like 40K.

There's always the 12 year old Ground Control (1) which to this day holds a very special place in my heart.

Kudaku
2013-03-01, 08:05 AM
First of all, God bless you for playing World In Conflict.

A fairly recent addition to this genre would be Wargame: European Escalation. It looks a lot like WiC and plays a bit like it, while being more detail-minded. Line of Sight and Line of Effect are both things you need to keep in mind, vehicles will run out of ammunition and fuel if not resupplied, and if you lose a unit in the campaign then you can't just order in another one - losses are final. It also has a truly bewildering number of units all based on real military designs.

The UI is a bit clunky and it takes a while to get the "feel" of it, and it's one of the relatively few modern games where you can gimp yourself into unplayability if you're not careful in the campaign, but once you get past these issues it's a very, very good game.

Metacritic has it listed at 81% and the user score is 8.2.

Finally, it gets bonus points for being set in the 1975-1985 cold war era.

Kizor
2013-03-01, 09:30 AM
Freedom Force has a sequel, Freedom Force vs. the 3rd Reich.

They're both fun to take out every once in a while. I think I prefer the first one, though. The first game starts off slower (you've got to get a mentor and talk everyone into forming a team and whatnot), but ends better, and its setpieces are just more fun than the sequel's dungeons. Nazi gorillas get a bit samey after a while.

The sequel has more firepower, though. You throw your share of cars in the original, but it's only in the sequel that superhero fights start to level buildings the way they should.

Artanis
2013-03-01, 10:01 AM
Oh, X-Com: Apocalypse. When you go on a mission, you choose between turn-based and pauseable real-time for the battle.

CarpeGuitarrem
2013-03-01, 11:08 AM
Freedom Force has a sequel, Freedom Force vs. the 3rd Reich.

They're both fun to take out every once in a while. I think I prefer the first one, though. The first game starts off slower (you've got to get a mentor and talk everyone into forming a team and whatnot), but ends better, and its setpieces are just more fun than the sequel's dungeons. Nazi gorillas get a bit samey after a while.

The sequel has more firepower, though. You throw your share of cars in the original, but it's only in the sequel that superhero fights start to level buildings the way they should.
Also, I almost forgot: pseudo-Sean Connery. :smallbiggrin:

Jonzac
2013-03-01, 12:27 PM
The newer combat missions series is real time as well. No base building though.

Kizor
2013-03-01, 04:58 PM
Also, I almost forgot: pseudo-Sean Connery. :smallbiggrin:

Aye.

I do adore the concept (see here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igf5feFHirQ) in all its jerky glory), but say what you want about nazi gorillas, they don't have a lot of variety.

lesser_minion
2013-03-01, 06:07 PM
I actually can't list that many real-time tactics games off the top of my head:

Ground Control
Ground Control II (OK, but the plot is bollocks)
World in Conflict (pretty good, but you know that already)
Myth
Myth II
Warhammer: Dark Omen (OK, but *eyes explode from rising blood pressure*)
Command & Conquer 4 (better than you've heard, but still bad)
Dawn of War II and Dawn of War II: Chaos Rising (both well worth playing)

Triaxx
2013-03-02, 03:11 AM
Just thought of two games. Jagged Alliance Back in Action, which I haven't played, but looks interesting.

And Fallout Tactics, which is built around turn-based, but also has a quasi-real-time 'Continuous Turn-Based' mode. Worth a look. I typically play that way except for a few points where Turn-based is easier for mechanical reasons.

Poison_Fish
2013-03-02, 04:09 AM
There was the Myth series, once.

This.

I still find those games fun even after they have aged. Normally nostalgia goggles do little for me as well.

HandofShadows
2013-03-03, 02:29 PM
The lack of Homeworld in this thread makes me sad.

ran88dom99
2013-03-19, 09:04 PM
Shattered Galaxy, (and end of nations) though you are only supposed to control one group in a 20v20 multiplayer pile on and that may make the game more like a reduced dota. Maybe battleships Forever and Star Farer.