PDA

View Full Version : Interesting/Funny D&D Names

Grindle
2013-02-26, 06:27 PM
My first character was a cleric named Borin Dunderhead. :smalltongue:
So, I'm starting this thread for people to share interesting or funny character/place names that they've encountered in their roleplaying adventures.

Vitruviansquid
2013-02-26, 06:41 PM
Dour Mcstoneface, retired adventurer who, it is said, fulfilled his duty to his wife with the same grim determination as when he fulfilled his duty to his country in the last great war.

Jay R
2013-02-27, 09:42 AM
Back when D&D was new, and it still had hobbits instead of halflings, I did my research into hobbit names by looking at the appendix to the Lord of the Rings. I found the perfect name for a hobbit thief.

"Robin Banks"
---------------

Years later, I invented two dwarves (followers), who left the mines to go adventuring when a dragon killed all their brothers. Their names were Doli and Felix.

Only if you knew other languages would you recognize them as Grumpy and Happy.
---------------

My current character has a horse named Glorfain, which is elvish for Golden Cloud. The original Golden Cloud was a performing horse in Hollywood in the 1930s, who was sold to Roy Rogers and re-named Trigger.

Kaveman26
2013-02-27, 10:13 AM
David Allen Coe-Nan (David Allen Coe is a country singer)

The Notorious P.I.G. (an awakened hamster gunslinger)

Rorrik
2013-02-27, 12:18 PM
I have a player now who is a dwarven cleric named Noland PrayerFighter. I almost pointed out the lack of originality, but then realized this was going to be his first stab and cleric and I was just lucky he wasn't naming him "Fighter".

Joe the Rat
2013-02-27, 12:29 PM
Blastum Heelum, a 1e-2e era cleric/magic-user.

One-shots often have such interesting names.

Dr.Epic
2013-02-27, 12:48 PM
Harrison Butterscotch
Glimb Gnomewick
Ram McLargefist

:smalltongue:

Frathe
2013-02-27, 01:28 PM
I named my first character Quaranibarvilasist Xiloscient. For some reason, no one could pronounce it. :smalltongue:

Alzun
2013-02-27, 02:32 PM
Grandalf the Old-Wizard

Guizonde
2013-02-27, 03:09 PM
my dm: -castilnimbult (among 7 other names and titles)
-Dorkenmeinen, greatest magician in the world. (delusional apprentice in whfrp)

me:
grumpf, alias the troll (troll paladin)
brutehilde the brute (halfling paladin)
blondehilde the blonde (brutehilde's sister, paladin too)
corbec girderson (poutreson in french, he's as subtle as a rafter hitting you)
knacki/knacki ball/pinball/lizard/emergency snack/disco ball (i'm not in control of my name... i'm a chameleon skink who goes multicolor when he drinks, and i've got really bad luck hitting into walls and defying gravity...) oh, and knacki are like jimmy dean sausages, for you yanks.
oscar "zero" talenz (pacifist mechanic and handyman. aptly named, too, judging by the dice gods)
angry mcstout (dwarf barbarian, to help a friend understand pen and paper)

otherwise, i know a "phu mi", halfling monk, future drunken master, and there's also brother U alias "ulm" (half ork paladin masquerading as a fighter). please note that his real name is pronounced as a death metal guttural growl (he felt subtle that day)
there's also "XUUUUUUL" (same pronounciation as above) for a friend's ork berzerker, and "GRUUUL" for his ork shaman-equivalent. yes, we're subtle

Raimun
2013-02-27, 03:14 PM
Not really that funny but my first ever RPG-character (non-D&D) was an elven warrior named Dagor. I came up with the name myself. It sounded like a fantasy name, even though I hadn't read any fantasy books or anything.

Well over 10 years later, after reading LotR (etc.), I found out that "dagor" means "battle" in Tolkien's elven language, Sindarin.

Doorhandle
2013-02-27, 04:10 PM
Let's see... my Magus is named Nephron, son of glomerulus. As in, the nephons within one's kidney.

Also, one that was not from D&D but still made me laugh out loud: Sir Loin du Steake

Angel Bob
2013-02-27, 04:52 PM
Our group has played host to such a host of characters as:

Kesha, elf ranger;
I'llkillyou, dragonborn paladin (AKA "Bacon");
Prozac, shardmind psion;
iMogen, longtooth fighter;
and Thugbare, dwarf druid.

Dewani90
2013-02-27, 05:12 PM
well, some of the characters we use often have nice names

like Vance McFighterton (the guy is a fighter, but you might confuse him for a furious berserker at anytime)
Old Man Val (a.k.a. Valiant Silverbeard the Mighty) the guy is a knight and a very proud meatshield, me and my friends love him.
Fergolas and Christywen (bro and sis, fans of tolkien, rangers at times, archers some other time, they provide the long range assaults)
Big Bertha (at times gnome, other times dwarf, right now she is halfling, always rogue, she tough her name was funny because she is always a small race, we all agree)
Flare Evilwizardine (i'm the wizard, necromancer, alchemist, healer, shapeshifter of the party, i started as human, but shapeshifter/changeling/doppleganger is funny too with my set of strange skillz)
HealingBewbs (she is our elven maiden healer, don't ask why she dresses as a nun, our DM likes to make her victim of tentacle monsters, a lot of facepalm moments for me tough)
and then there is our Drow sorcerer... but his name is not funny... i'll put it anyway for completion, he is Dark Alucard and took a videogame character as template for his hairdo

i have a comic where you can see us, along with a character from a friend, the unconventional mage Mickey...(and yeah it is made in paint)

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc29/Blackfire_of_Tamaran/mikeyandfriends_zpscc4abed1.png
you can also see it on my DeviantArt
http://devani90.deviantart.com/art/Dungeons-and-Dragons-Random-Stuff-Enter-the-dwarf-303221299

Guizonde
2013-02-27, 08:37 PM
just thought about it: idectomy. why? well if you play a half ork...

the half-ork idectomy just went for your sensitive spot. you lose d12 dmg

for those who (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inguinal_orchiectomy)don't get the medical reference (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GroinAttack)

... why do i hear my dm saying "that's banned"?

kardar233
2013-02-27, 08:51 PM
I played a character by the name of Leith el Damaaj a while back.

BRC
2013-02-27, 08:52 PM
Glod Glodson III IV.

He was the fourth member of his family who was named after their heroic Ancestor Glod Glodson III, who was the third member of the family named after the slightly less heroic ancestor Glod Glodson.

Edit: Glod was pretty cool too, but his son was much better.

RolandDeschain
2013-02-27, 09:09 PM
Half-Orc Barbarian uncreatively named Buh Hemoth. One-shot character that I recall having a lot of fun playing.

Dimers
2013-02-28, 12:59 AM
Half-Orc Barbarian uncreatively named Buh Hemoth. One-shot character that I recall having a lot of fun playing.

Usedta know a guy in real life whose nickname was "Buh". Nobody could tell me why. I think his given name was "James".

I ran a 3.5 psion whose own name was normal, but who called her psicrystal "Crystal" and her female werebear effigy creature "Ursula".

For a White Wolf game: We were playing modern characters in the U.S. but had been told the game would have a lot to do with the Cathar heresy in medieval France. My character was named Donna Lebue Bonham. The French words donnée le but mean "given the goal/purpose/aim". Bonham is a derivative of Bon Hommes, a term male Cathars used to refer to themselves. Donna's mother was named Creedence (close to credentes, another Cathar term). Her father was Brett, which happens to come from a Middle English surname for a person from Brittany. But that's all just a bunch of wild coincidences, right? ... I seriously spent, like, five hours making that name.

During the research for that game, I found out that the phrase "kill 'em all, let God sort 'em out" has been in use since at least the 1200s.

For a Werewolf game, I made a runt of the litter. The small size, big personality and wiry strength reminded me of a kid in my class in grade school, so I gave the character his name. That dude could grab a flagpole and use it to lift himself horizontal, screaming about the wind blowing him away. That kind of image stays with you. :smallamused:

I'd love to put together the Santa gang for a Shadowrun game:

Santa, a fat, jolly Elf; wears shades and red fur with white trim, carries a tommy gun, uses cold magic
Mrs. Claws, a female street samurai
Rude Dolph, a red-nosed dwarf rigger, adept at piloting drones through the worst weather
The Snowman, an elf decker/hacker (looks like Billy Idol in "White Wedding"). IC is no problem for The Snowman!
Abominable/Bumble, albino troll thug
We'd ride around in a vehicle we call "the Slay" ... got a combat drone called "Saint Nicks 'n' Scratches" ... we make our own !@#$& chimney! ...

You'd better run, or you're gonna die!
If you wanna fight kiss your @$$ goodbye --
Santa Claus is gunning you down.
He'll freeze you in your footsteps, he'll shoot you in the head
Last thing you'll see is red and white, if you live you're better off dead ...

mistformsquirrl
2013-02-28, 08:20 AM
I think the closest to a deliberately funny name I've ever used is Gorthunk Facesmasher, a half-orc Cleric of Kord. Gorthunk being the sound it makes when he smashes your face.

Never really got to play him much though.

Sith_Happens
2013-02-28, 08:54 AM
For my first ever D&D 3.5 campaign (which, for better or worse, never made it past the first session), I made a Warblade modeled as heavily on shonen fighting series and/or JRPG tropes as I could manage. Sixteen years old, hometown destroyed as a child, spiky hair, calls out the names of his maneuvers, Power of Friendship, the works.

Took forever to come up with a good name for him. Eventually I had a flash of genius and decided on...

Shonen Seinenson

:smallbiggrin:

Guizonde
2013-02-28, 04:56 PM

Santa, a fat, jolly Elf; wears shades and red fur with white trim, carries a tommy gun, uses cold magic
Rude Dolph, a red-nosed dwarf rigger, adept at piloting drones through the worst weather
The Snowman, an elf decker/hacker (looks like Billy Idol in "White Wedding"). IC is no problem for The Snowman!
We'd ride around in a vehicle we call "the Slay" ... got a combat drone called "Saint Nicks 'n' Scratches" ... we make our own !@#$& chimney! ...

that is pure win! +1 of your choice!

Moriwen
2013-02-28, 06:54 PM
I ran an adventure set in the small Elvish town of Waco (named after a local town--basically the most mundane name I could come up with).

My players loved it. Easily the most memorable setting I've ever made.

oball
2013-02-28, 07:14 PM
I ran a 4e game for my housemates a few years ago. Since we didn't have any minis, I used little cardboard squares to represent monsters, and the characters were represented by keys pulled off an old keyboard.

Most of them just used the key that was their character's inital - "K" was Kalindor, the elven ranger, "B" was Bas, the dragonborn fighter, etc.

However, as soon as we started pulling the keyboard apart, one player decided he was going to change his name. Which is how we ended up with Num-Lock, the dwarven cleric.

Amaril
2013-02-28, 08:46 PM
My dad tells me that back in the day, he played in a pirate-themed campaign with a bard named Cinnamon Bandeau, more commonly known as Spice, who spoke with a French accent. He brought this character back for a one-shot 4e game that I was also in, and it was needlessly awesome :smallbiggrin:

Dimers
2013-03-01, 12:00 AM
I ran a 4e game for my housemates a few years ago. Since we didn't have any minis, I used little cardboard squares to represent monsters, and the characters were represented by keys pulled off an old keyboard.

Most of them just used the key that was their character's inital - "K" was Kalindor, the elven ranger, "B" was Bas, the dragonborn fighter, etc.

However, as soon as we started pulling the keyboard apart, one player decided he was going to change his name. Which is how we ended up with Num-Lock, the dwarven cleric.

The whole idea is pretty cool, but the name change is EXCELLENT!

If there were a knight with Leadership feat in the group, but his squire keeps getting trip-attacked, you could use the "Page Up" and "Page Down" keys ...

Anderlith
2013-03-01, 12:32 AM
The name of a young dragon NPC in one of my games was Sheepbiter

Also played in a game where we used our names but backwards

Rovert
Tnerb
Nella
etc.

I thought Rovert was a cool name & used it several times afterwards

Cunningtub
2013-12-03, 11:09 PM
Adam bereson Cedric Dawl Ed Felix Greg Henry Icarus James Koal Lucius Max Nate Olsan Paul Quaine Randy Steven Theodore Ulsa Vlad Wintson Xavier Yale Zendar the fourth,

he didn't last one encounter and later became a npc who also died, and yes his name is the alphabet

Erth16
2013-12-03, 11:48 PM
My friend and I decided that after his adventures, a Fighter named Reginald Blackadder ascended and became the god of vengence, because his name was that awesome.

The Fury
2013-12-04, 03:17 AM
Hm. Does it have to be a name attached to an actual character that's been used in a game? Because the funniest name I can think of was just sort invented as a joke about characters with meaningful names: Stuffy Quicknose. He's a thief that steals things and hides them in his nose. His other character traits are unknown.

Spore
2013-12-04, 06:39 AM
Surac, the Winged Aasimar Inquisitor.

Because Suraci was too obvious of a palindrome for Icarus.

BWR
2013-12-04, 07:43 AM
I've had three characters called Gork the Orc.
For some reason, only one of them had any orc blood.

Eldan
2013-12-04, 08:56 AM
This has a long tradition in D&D. After all, we have all heard of Melf, inventor of the Acid Arrow. He's a Male Elf.

Sith_Happens
2013-12-04, 09:29 AM
This has a long tradition in D&D. After all, we have all heard of Melf, inventor of the Acid Arrow. He's a Male Elf.

Not to be confused with Milf, inventor of the Unnatural Lust spell.

DSmaster21
2013-12-04, 01:32 PM
Shadowclub "Shadow,Chad,Crush,Kel (My friends like to give him lots of nicknames)" Skeletoncrusher the Tiefling Wizard and His familiar Bippy the Viper.

Joe the Rat
2013-12-04, 01:59 PM
First-time players are always a hoot.
Daggera, the Rogue Who Doesn't Use Daggers.
Xanten (fairly standard), with his Hawk familiar, Hudson.
Goldenbell Who Loves Horses (all on the "Name" line of the sheet... maybe it's an elf thing?), with her animal companion Whitemane the Wonderhorse (also all on the name line).

As the Old Man of the group, I took on the role of Paul E. Hedron, Grumpy Cleric.

My all-time favorite is Blastum Heelum, Cleric/Magic-User.

Forrestfire
2013-12-04, 02:44 PM
Looking back at my characters, I somehow managed to never make a funny name... Dang, I guess I'll have to get on that.

Not to be confused with Milf, inventor of the Unnatural Lust spell.

*spits drink*

Calen
2013-12-04, 06:18 PM
Warforged Barbarian "R2D20"

Winds of Nagual
2013-12-04, 06:52 PM
Damien 'The Ogre' Winston - aristocratic berserker
John Littleberries (actually stolen from Buckaroo Bonsai)
Kaw Kaw - Tengu ranger (but don't call him caw-caw, very sensitive)

My summoner's hook is that in Runelords, he comes up with a catchy nickname for everyone (PCs and NPCs) - smalls, roguely, sluggo, legs, sheriff, slick, chuckles, etc. Hard to keep track of - lots of fun

The Oni
2013-12-04, 06:55 PM
My White Haired Witch is called Jacques. Jacques of Braids.

Sajiri
2013-12-04, 07:40 PM
I had a friend who played a half-orc called Olga Hindegard. It wasn't actually her name, she was locked up overnight in jail for being a disordely drunk and when they asked her name to write it down she slurred something that they just interpreted as a name so thats what the character stuck with. I dont recall exactly what she was trying to say, but 'Hindegard' was meant to be 'and a guard'

John Campbell
2013-12-05, 01:15 AM

And Rary, of mnemonic enhancer fame, who was named that because one of the level titles for magic-users (back when they were called "magic-users", and there was such a thing as level titles) was Medium.

In a similar vein, I once made a character for a Game of Thrones campaign by the name of Ser Visrode.

I was in a one-shot D&D game one time where three of the four players, independently and without consultation, named our characters Phil. We ended up spending half the game making fun of the fourth PC because she wasn't named Phil.

Dimers
2013-12-05, 10:23 AM
Similarly, back when classes had lists of level-based titles, a friend of mine made a magic-user named Weroff Thaddeus Crowne (or something along those lines). He went by Weroff T. C.. He intended to achieve the "wizard" title, of course.

Had a raven familiar named Quoth, too.

Jay R
2013-12-05, 10:59 PM
I once had a D&D character based on Toon rules - Ragnar Rabbit, the Hanna- Barbarian.

tulebast
2013-12-06, 12:07 AM
In a paranoia game, I had a character named Di-R-Eya.

In D&D, the funniest names I came up with were both gnomes: Gnarland and his trusty pseudo-dragon familiar, Rhadcliffe, and the slightly annoying Gnaddeus (but you can call me Gnads...why do people always giggle like that? Humans are so strange...)

Anxe
2013-12-06, 12:22 AM
Hugs Greenly
Gristle McThornbody

Magnema
2013-12-06, 02:43 AM
I remember one campaign where one of the players thought that the DM was taking too long to make the adventure, and so gave his gnome enough names to have his initials be [DM's name].C.O.M.E.U.P.W.I.T.H.T.H.E.A.D.V.E.N.T.U.R.E.A.L.R .E.A.D.Y.

For a one-shot, I once played a character named "Stirdix Con Intwizka." Since then, I have had several characters named "Stirdix" (with some having a last name of "Wizka" due to the fact that it actually sounds OK).

GungHo
2013-12-09, 09:46 AM
I'm probably going to steal liberally from the Key and Peele East/West College Bowl bit by the time we're out of this campaign. Ozamataz Buckshank is a great name for a halfling sorcerer.

Amaril
2013-12-09, 01:22 PM
I once played Tomb of Horrors with a friend who had a human cleric with the initials H.U.M.A.N.C.L.E.R.I.C. I can't remember his whole name, but I know the first two were Horace and Underhill...

Ailowynn
2013-12-09, 02:35 PM
A couple I've heard:

A fighter named Boris the Strong and Fair. To the front lines, BSF!

Also, the very rare element known as Imadeitupium is a great plot device.

veti
2013-12-09, 04:47 PM
My past characters have included "Untimely Demize", "Dangerously Adequate", "Roaring Bowels", "Yor Farther". The fun with that last one was seeing the DM come up with new ways for the NPCs to react.

Considering there's a popular song about Santa that begins "You'd better watch out...", the parodies really write themselves.

wagnerloeher
2014-06-01, 12:46 PM
My list of funny named chars:

I had a warforged called Adam. Adam Mantine. He rocked.

I once made a human monk called Bruce WATAH! (He introduced himself with a punch and yelling his last name).

I once had a dwarf called Hugeno Yesmall. (Huge no - Yes small)

I made a gnome wizard called Sparkles. He had a cat familiar called Sir Pounce-a-lot.

My cousin made a half orc called Khal, so I made another half orc called Drogo. They were brothers.

Sith_Happens
2014-06-01, 03:21 PM
I had a warforged called Adam. Adam Mantine. He rocked.

He sounds metal.:smallwink:

Averis Vol
2014-06-01, 03:59 PM
In a D20 modern game a few years back, we had a smart hero named Eechi Wang. He was supposed to be a chemistry and computer programming major, but he just ended up being a perverted drug dealer with a funny name. The player was all too happy when he finally got crushed by an undead behemoth.

EDIT: I know this isn't a dnd story, but it was too funny to pass up.

Marlwyn
2014-07-20, 06:18 PM
I've got 3:

An NPC in a campaign my friend DM'd- a half-orc shopkeeper named "Uuuuuuurrrrrllll". And if you took less than 5 seconds to say his name, you were mispronouncing it.

A level 20 wizard/archmage I created for a single-session "quickie" campaign: Natherion Elranis Feramilreth Bill the Indomitable. It was the "Bill" that always got everyone. I played him as a snooty gray elf, and since no one could remember his full name, they'd just call him "Bill". He hated it, and it was hilarious around the table.

My current character- see the signature below.

Marlwyn
2014-07-22, 12:03 AM
Just realized I should post this one too, in case I change my signature:

Flik Farstrider "Guildmaster of the Azure Avengers, Freedom Fighter of Gelinde, Emissary of Mithlonde, Citedal Poker Champion, Blood Fang Spelunker Extraordinare, M'osh Vrasu, Liberator of Gnomes, Attorney-At-Law, Hobbyist Mapmaker, Marble Connoisseur, and Sommelier of All Fine Leaf"

I've played a lot of characters across many campaigns and several different games, but little Flik has been my favorite character I've ever played. A halfing rogue, and being a fan of the Dragonlance series, I decided to base his personality I on a typical 'kender' mentality. Perhaps cliche', but I don't care. One thing he loves to do after any sort of adventure, big or small, is grant himself titles based on what happened. Here's one of those stories:

The party had traveled to a distant region of the continent populated by half-orc barbarian tribes. While there, Flik's insatiable curiosity about everything led him to want to learn the Orcish language. I declared my intention to the DM, that at the next level up I was going to spend a skill point to learn the language, and during the entire time we were in the region I role-played him practicing and trying to pick up Orcish- including making horribly-awesome mistakes as he got the hang of it. In one such case, a half-orc native "challenged" him to a duel- IE, tried to murder him for his stuff. Just before that scene, I had Flik ask around to learn all the curse words, insults, and otherwise derogatory terms he could. I had also recently taken the feat "Taunt" with him. So, what else was there to do when the savage tried to run me through? I used the Taunt, and told the group I was going to hurl my new-found knowledge of orcish profanity in his face. Something along the lines of 'how the orc's father must like to do it with elves, and this and that'. I rolled for the Taunt.. and rolled a 1. The table just stared at it for a few seconds, and then the conversation went something like this:

Everyone: ....
DM: "Okay, you believe you rattled off your string of insults correctly, but you don't. You end up just saying one random word, over and over. You say.."
Me: "Banana!"
DM: "What?"
Me: "Banana. First thing that just popped into my head. So I am yelling at the orc, "Banana! Banana banana banana! BAAAANAAAANAAAA!!" While making vulgar body-language motions to go along with what I think I'm actually saying."
Everyone: *5 minutes of uncontrollable laughter and various pantomines*
DM: "Okay, so this happens, your Taunt effect fails, but the half-orc is so dumbstruck at this completely ridiculous and unexpected display, you have actually Stunned him for this round."
Me: "Hey DM, what's 'banana' in Orcish?"
DM: *thinks for a minute* "Ummm it's M'osh. Yeah, M'osh."

The fight ended with Flik killing the savage, and with his dying breath, the DM describes the half-orc with a puzzled look on his face, as he collapes, he say's ".....m'osh?"

After that fight, I looked up the orcish word for 'slayer' or 'killer' on some website, and came up with "Vrasu" And thereafter while in the orclands, Flik dubbed himself "M'osh Vrasu", the "Banana Slayer".

Oddman80
2014-07-22, 12:24 PM
The funniest name I had for a character was Botif - a Dwarf Ranger with a Hawk companion. He came from a long line of Hawk trainers, and so logically his family name was Hawker. Every time he introduced himself formally to new NPC's, the NPCs as well as the party members would all snicker - but nobody ever told poor Botif Hawker why he might not want to go by his full name.

Oddman80
2014-07-22, 12:46 PM
As far as interesting names...

I like to play up any elemental aspects of a race. I had a woodling factotum named Fennel Feverbush and a Stonechild Barbarian named Jasper Rhyolite

More often, I try to give names that, if translated from another language, would provide clear insight into the character's focus. However - if i had just kept the word in english - would be too on the nose....

For example, I have a Dark Whisper Gnome Swift Hunter named Senka Ubica. Translated from Croation, that means "Shadow Killer". I also found that by picking the language of origin - it helped give additional traits to the character as well.

I had a pair of Air Genasi siblings. The brother was named Furaito, and the sister was named Udana. Tanslated from Japanese and Nepali respectively, these both mean "flight"

Millennium
2014-07-22, 12:47 PM
One of my friends one played a dwarf who went by "Dagnabbit Bouldershoulder of the Bouldershoulder clan."

He had cousins named Dadgummit, Doggoneit, and Gurshdurnit.

ImNotTrevor
2014-07-22, 02:04 PM
The first campaign I ever ran was full of people who thought they were funny. I had to deal with the following characters, all of whom survived to lvl 16 before the campaign had to end:

Magic Bob the Sorceror and his Familiar: Jack Squat the Mighty "It."
Tiny, the Half-Giant Barbarian.
Clark, the warforged. (As in Clark Kent. A man of steel. hur hur.)
Holy Hannah, the Cleric.
Nature Boy the Druid and his Animal Companion: Bi-polar Bear.

then we had a rogue and a paladin that had normal names.

My wife usually plays a character named Marvel, though due to a lapse in handwriting skills some of our other players thought it was Manuel. After that Marvel was considered to look suspiciously like a mexican man in disguise.

Sometimes I think I need new friends. Other times this crap makes me giggle. It's a crapshoot.

Admiral Squish
2014-07-22, 03:17 PM
I have a couple names I like to use.

Yomruzz Nomna, which is just a weird name that I've applied to gnomes, changelings, and a few other more exotic races.

Ahm N'ahm N'ahm, A lizardfolk barbarian, who is known to eat his enemies. He's also very proud of his name, as it translates to Ahm, son of Ahm, son of Ahm. the Ahms are a very prestigious line, his grandfather and father both being very powerful heroes and warriors.

Slainte Mtath
2016-01-05, 11:06 PM
I have a character, "Slainte Mtath", based upon the Gaelic drinking toast 'Slainte Mhath' but no one could read it so I added the phonetic T. "slon-tay ma-toth". Created him in October of 1987. Whoah, he'll be 28 this year.

I once had a cleric that I role-played as if he was obsessed with undead, I called him "Mortis Bonescrolls", long retired.

My wife has a wee gnome fighter/illusionist named "Sprout Stepponable". She has a gigantic human fighter henchman named "Vinson Massif", which is the biggest mountain in Antarctica.

Years ago, we once had a party of characters each based upon exclamations, I can remember "Jehosephat Jump" and "Graightskaht".

My favorite current character to play is really minimalist: a half-elven cleric/ranger simply named "Oq".

My nephew plays a nasty brick of a dwarf fighter named "Ascendo Tuum". Look that one up in Latin.

My sister (art teacher) names all of her characters after artists, she has a paladin "Georgia O'Keefe", mu/thief "Matisse" and gnome Ill/thief "Van Gogh". Alas, her ranger "Rodin" was recently eaten by a Remorhaz.

Whisper Knight
2016-01-07, 10:08 PM
Not D&D, but Call of Cthulhu. In a short campaign I GMd a while back, one of my players named his character Tech. And he'd ALWAYS introduce himself as "Name's Tech. Just Tech. No first, no last, just Tech." So, we had a character in a modern setting in America with no last name. I let him do it, since he was the funny player, but never in a derailing way.

If that's not bad, I had them check into a hospital focusing on insomnia and other sleep studies. After a few days in the hospital, he introduced himself to nurse with his usual intro. In a moment of realization, another players yells "Wait, what did you put on those hospital forms?!"

Unfortunately, my names are usually bland and nobody uses them. :P Though I like Natheus.

goto124
2016-01-08, 02:11 AM
If that's not bad, I had them check into a hospital focusing on insomnia and other sleep studies. After a few days in the hospital, he introduced himself to nurse with his usual intro. In a moment of realization, another players yells "Wait, what did you put on those hospital forms?!"

I don't get the joke, I'm afraid...

FlumphPaladin
2016-01-08, 08:13 AM

What fun it is to ride and sing a slaying song tonight!

FlumphPaladin
2016-01-08, 08:18 AM
I don't get the joke, I'm afraid...

My suspicion is that since he said his name is "Tech. Just Tech. No first, no last, just Tech," checking into anywhere would be a difficult experience. Unless there's another, even more hilarious level that I'm not getting either...

Whisper Knight
2016-01-08, 08:30 AM
My suspicion is that since he said his name is "Tech. Just Tech. No first, no last, just Tech," checking into anywhere would be a difficult experience. Unless there's another, even more hilarious level that I'm not getting either...

Yep, that's it. We decided that he had given fingerprints, and the hospital got his real name from there. They probably assumed he was insane due to sleep issues or something.

adamjohnson
2016-01-08, 10:39 AM
the adventures it's amazing , I also think it right

Madbox
2016-01-08, 06:43 PM
Tommy "Two-Tooth" O'Connor, the retired privateer. Don't call him a pirate, he hates that. As he would put it, "Yargh, there be a mighty important difference between them two. Privateering be an act of war, and puts ye at risk of getting shot by yer foes. Piracy be an act of crime, and puts ye at risk of being shot by anybody, or tossed in jail."

He served as navigator under Captain Alistair McAlastor.

Armed of Hadar
2016-01-08, 07:54 PM
My sister's Fighter is named "Skullstomper" due to an incident as defender of a gate for a walled town. The giant zombies of the enemy army were ramming the door down, and the character--a melee specialist--wasn't content with lobbing handaxes at siege monsters. Instead, she jumped onto a giant's torso and successfully cleaved it to death, earning her the epithet from the townspeople.
Her birth name hasn't been heard since.

My Gnome Conjurer was named "Adalbert K. Fuchs III," partly because "noble-bright" is a fun pair of adjectives to put next to the last name of "fox," but mainly for the nickname "Bert." He had a familiar named "Ernst," though I'm not sure anyone got the joke.

Slainte Mtath
2016-01-13, 12:53 PM
Created a Dwarf Cleric of Celestian last week named "Dunder Mifflin", and a human Bard named "Lorem Ipsum". Graphic designers will catch that reference.

Joe the Rat
2016-01-13, 01:25 PM
Not D&D, but Call of Cthulhu. In a short campaign I GMd a while back, one of my players named his character Tech. And he'd ALWAYS introduce himself as "Name's Tech. Just Tech. No first, no last, just Tech." So, we had a character in a modern setting in America with no last name. I let him do it, since he was the funny player, but never in a derailing way.

If that's not bad, I had them check into a hospital focusing on insomnia and other sleep studies. After a few days in the hospital, he introduced himself to nurse with his usual intro. In a moment of realization, another players yells "Wait, what did you put on those hospital forms?!" Tech Just-Tech, obviously.

Created a Dwarf Cleric of Celestian last week named "Dunder Mifflin", and a human Bard named "Lorem Ipsum". Graphic designers will catch that reference.Does he know Power Point?

FlumphPaladin
2016-01-14, 10:21 AM
Dwarf Cleric of Celestian last week named "Dunder Mifflin"

FACT: Dwarves make the world's worst paper. They only use stone tablets, so they don't know what good paper is supposed to be like.

Thisguy_
2016-01-14, 10:29 AM
I'm getting into a new game for 5e pretty soon. We're starting at level ten, and if you've been watching close, you'll know that the new Undying warlock patron can allow a Drow elf a several-thousand year lifespan.

Well, having long forgotten his actual name, and having one of "those" senses of humor, he dubbed himself Avery.

Avery Longtime, the time abyss.

kladams707
2016-01-14, 10:33 AM
This isn't for DnD, but my current Star Wars Character is inspired by a running gag quote from Airplane! and a famed child actress: Sirius Shirley T'mpel.

Oneris
2016-01-14, 02:04 PM
Diana Fire, Pyrokineticist. Possible relation to Wang Fire and Saph Fire.

King of Casuals
2016-01-14, 03:12 PM
I once made a Chaotic Evil Goblin Cleric of Lamashtu named Gobbwinkler Gabblesnatch. His friends call him Gobb, but you can call him Mr. Gabblesnatch.

Erth16
2016-01-14, 03:17 PM
Dandy Randy the Handyman. He was a force sensitive smuggler.
Quapslar the Faceless Dinosaur, a human cleric.
Amish Shaman, an Arch-Militant.
Admiral Quibblemiggle McBumbum, a Vietnamese halfling fighter who was raised by his father to be just like his mother.
Crimson Cerulean, a dwarf gunslinger who wielded emerald pistols and dressed in gold.
Blaquei, the NPC human paladin the dm never named who wore black armor, and we started calling Blacky.
And of course, the earthbender, Rocky IV. Not Rocky the Fourth, but Rocky Four.

Kastor
2016-02-26, 12:49 AM
Tihsho Niagaton the rogue had a habit of saying his name backwards a lot...

Zumbs
2016-03-05, 02:30 PM
Waaay back in the 90s, my 14-15 year old self played a human fighter called Firelord Icemaster. The game was Dungeons & Dragons, he was my first fighter and almost all his stats were 13 or 14. Fun to play, but I only got to run him for maybe four or five sessions, before we started playing another campaign. We did that a lot back then.

zubb
2016-03-06, 06:51 PM
I know it's stupid, but I like the name "doofi", "darth darth", and his brother "darth man".

Velaryon
2016-03-08, 04:14 PM
A D&D group I used to play with had a bad habit of starting new games on a fairly frequent basis, usually without concluding the previous one. As a result, I began putting less and less effort into my characters, since it seemed clear they weren't going to last long anyway.

The first notable example was when one of the other players declared that he was going to play a dwarf paladin named Keg Kegssen. I hadn't come up with a character yet, so I jumped on board and declared that I was playing his battlerager brother Tap Kegssen. Tap was your typical battlerager - poor hygiene, not very bright, prone to get into a fight with the slightest provocation (or none at all if he was bored), and covered head to toe in heavy armor and spikes. Rather than a backpack, he carried all his gear in a barrel that he strapped to his back. He also eventually obtained a custom magic item - it was like a decanter of endless water except that it was a bucket... of endless beer. On several occasions he placed the bucket on the ground, set it to geyser mode, and danced happily under the beer sprinkler.

A later game with the same group, the DM randomly declared that everyone had to roll their stats in order, old-school style (the one and only time I have ever or will ever play in a game with this rolling method). Clearly I wasn't the only one no longer taking their characters seriously by this point, because someone else decided to play an elf ranger named Spock. From there, one after another of us named our characters after Star Trek characters. I ended up with a rogue named James Kirk that specialized in unarmed fighting and tragically got his armor torn up almost every fight... for the two or three sessions before we started yet another campaign, anyway.

Em9500
2017-11-22, 05:11 PM
I played with a druid named Jesus once. He could walk on water

digiman619
2017-11-23, 03:50 AM
There's a word that means "the least used word in a given body of work" and I always thought it sounded like an amazing name for a gnomish sage: Hapax Legomenon.

Fiery Diamond
2017-11-23, 04:02 AM
How many times can a single thread get necroed? Geez. How do you people even find these old threads?

BalforeDelFuego
2018-10-06, 03:08 PM
Some of the more interesting names I've used... in gaming as well as D&D:
Rollin D' Haye
Yul Feelwell
Ugonna Feelwell
Nibbles McCrotch
Axe Smashum
Phillup M' Pockets
Fajita Jones
Sizzle Britches

About to embark on a with a 5e Lore Bard names Eddie van Hendrix (a naive attempt to use popular names to bring himself a sense of greatness), who will be a spin off of Starlord, who was abducted by aliens at the age of 16.

He had already become a local neighborhood name by having a garage band.

The aliens wanted to use his talents by amplifying his abilities, and weaponizing his talent to take over masses.
after discovering this, he steals a bunch of tech, and uses a dimensional jumper and landed in Forgotten Realms.

Thoughts?

SunderedWorldDM
2018-10-06, 09:06 PM
I've had a Longrod von Hugendong in my party. I've also had a Lord Fookwad. And there was a monk named Temmie.

SleekSleestak
2018-11-02, 04:04 PM
I'm running a Dwarven Warpriest named Farkin Schistface. He's a proud scion of the Schistface clan, and will readily recount that his father was Droon-Kan Schistface, and his grandfather was Fallin-Doon Schistface. He proudly regales party members with the story of how, at the Battle of Orcfang, the Dwarven vanguard were all Schistface, and that after the battle, King Rubus Rustbeard famously pronounced that there is no courage like the courage of Schistface Dwarves. His favorite battle cry is, "Ho, miscreant! You're about to get Schistfaced!"

JAL_1138
2018-11-02, 04:58 PM
Translating “Ensign Redshirt” into Norwegian gets “Fenrik Rødskjorte,” into Spanish gets “Alférez Camisaroja,” or something to that effect...

Note that when using Google Translate, you’ll have to look up the military rank separately, since Google Translate wants to translate “ensign” using the meaning “flag or banner” rather than rank.

hotflungwok
2018-11-07, 04:13 PM
Farkin Schistface
Droon-Kan Schistface
Fallin-Doon Schistface
Beautiful.

Maelynn
2018-11-07, 04:27 PM
The Gnome on my city's Council is called Bendypink Crumplehatch.

Bubzors
2018-11-07, 09:26 PM
My favorite is a character a player made for a campaign i was DMing

Lord Chauncey, Duke of Binderbottom (AKA RoboJones) - 5E Warforged fighter/sorcerer with a hat of disguise

Used his charlatan background to have false papers claiming to be Duke of Binderbottom (the place didnt exist) and used his hat of disguise to seem like different members of the Binderbottom family.

denthor
2018-11-07, 10:55 PM
Tuggmother the Barbarian
Harold fork beard the fighter

Rabbit a thief

detritus
2018-11-08, 11:51 AM
Our wide-ranging gaming group has brought up several weird names (and weird characters)
for example:

RLB (run like b*ggery) a human mage
Damnandblast the Bold - very low level and short lived paladin

Cribbin Strangetrousers, a hobbit
Septimus Inconspiciuous, a centaur thief

JAL_1138
2018-11-08, 07:21 PM
The Gnome on my city's Council is called Bendypink Crumplehatch.

If you’re going to name your character after an actor, at least change the actor’s name a little bit. Especially an actor with a name as recognizable as Blenderwick Cucumberpatch.

Miz_Liz
2018-11-09, 12:32 PM
I run a game with three 22 year old boys.

Human Storm sorc - Evan Frostblind (not terrible)
Goliath Monk - Takeshi Tonyu (why.... just why)
Halfling druid - Connach Magregor (He's the main tank and a bare-knuckles brawler. It works.)

JeenLeen
2018-11-09, 03:45 PM
oWoD Mage. Virtual Adept Reality Hacker who believed the world was a video game, and he intended to game the system via metagaming.
Went by the handle Meta, so that's what the team knew him as.

Also had a Dreamspeaker named Enkidu Farmeadow. His name got a surprising response from some vamps. Only later did I learn that Enkidu is the name of an ancient Gangrel on the Camarilla's Red List.

Bohandas
2018-11-27, 12:24 PM
Haven't actually used this, but I've noticed that the technical names of a lot of household products kind of sound like they could be the names of characters from fantasy stories. Especially detergents ("everything was fine until our kingdom was besieged by Borax the Merciless" etc) and pharmaceuticals ("Who dares disturb the great Alprazolam?" etc)

Dimers
2018-11-28, 07:11 AM
Izzagond MacHamish d'Yaaago. Izzy is a half-orc shaman unknowingly serving the god of the robot apocalypse -- not that that's related to the name, but it's worth saying itself.

King of Casuals
2018-11-28, 02:20 PM
I once made a Chaotic Evil Goblin Cleric named Gobbwinkler Gabblesnatch. His friends call him Gobb, but you can call him Mr. Gabblesnatch.

John Campbell
2018-11-28, 03:46 PM
In a Pathfinder game, I briefly played a witch named Pellagra. In the fine tradition of Anathema Device, her parents thought it sounded like a nice name for a girl.

(It's a skin disease.)

Joe the Rat
2018-11-29, 11:47 AM
Third post to the thread in... four years? I guess I'm about due.

Again with the one-shots:
Sunplane the drunk cleric was an amusing character. He was named after the last thing the player injured himself on.
We actually had a Gnome Fighter named Leeeeroooy Jenkins (actual spelling). Between his short legs and horrible initiative rolls, he earned the epithet "First to charge, last to arrive."

I've got a bunch of fake beers and breweries for an adventure. The worst of the lot was an Underdark brew: St. Pauli Grell. You cannot unsee the label, no matter how hard you try. It's the blond braids that does it. It tastes like mushrooms and sorrow.

For you Old Schoolers: The town of Raven's Bluff has one of the worst taverns in the region, if not the world. It's this seedy little bar on the docks - pretty much the first one you see coming ashore: The Nyr Dyv.

I once made a Chaotic Evil Goblin Cleric of Lamashtu named Gobbwinkler Gabblesnatch. His friends call him Gobb, but you can call him Mr. Gabblesnatch.

I once made a Chaotic Evil Goblin Cleric named Gobbwinkler Gabblesnatch. His friends call him Gobb, but you can call him Mr. Gabblesnatch.See you next year?

MasterMatt999
2018-12-08, 08:20 PM
I have a Half-Orc named Stew Bobby Pid and his clone Id Stewey Diot. Stew is always confused why people call him ‘Stupid’ instead of Stew, or Bobby, or Mr. Pid. He gets annoyed sometimes.

ahyangyi
2018-12-08, 09:59 PM
In a one-shot game for D&D 4e game, I used a warlord called Miss Effect. Story-wise, she is the heir of House Effect, disqualified due to her lack of strength. Mechanic-wise, she cannot hit anyone but can spam those crazy miss effects.