PDA

View Full Version : Changing my item familiar

Miriad
2013-02-26, 08:30 PM
Is there any way, magical or otherwise, to change my item familiar from being a weapon to say a ring? I would like to use him on a different slot.

Kazyan
2013-02-26, 09:42 PM
Polymorph Any Object should do it.

Miriad
2013-02-27, 01:37 AM
Target: One creature, or one nonmagical object of up to 100 cu. ft./level

Isnt the item familiar categorized as a "Magical object"?

Magic items aren’t affected by this spell.

Rubik
2013-02-27, 04:29 AM
You could always retrain or use Psychic Reformation to reform your Item Familiar feat to specify a ring instead, and then sacrifice your old item to it. Just tell your DM that you're transferring the consciousness of your old item to your new one. It'll have the same soul, if you will, but (probably) different abilities.

Andion Isurand
2013-02-27, 05:40 AM
If immortality is your thing, you should try and see if you can get a character friendly to yours, to use the Kissed By the Ages (Dragon 354 pg 54) spell on a ring... then use the ring for your Item Familiar after retraining. The ring will be hard to destroy then, plus you'd stop aging.

Spuddles
2013-02-27, 07:43 AM
You could always retrain or use Psychic Reformation to reform your Item Familiar feat to specify a ring instead, and then sacrifice your old item to it. Just tell your DM that you're transferring the consciousness of your old item to your new one. It'll have the same soul, if you will, but (probably) different abilities.

But you still lose your old item familiar and with it all the invested feats/xp/cheese.

Kazyan
2013-02-27, 08:00 AM
Isnt the item familiar categorized as a "Magical object"?

Bah, you're right. The spell does have limits, after all.

Rubik
2013-02-27, 12:37 PM
But you still lose your old item familiar and with it all the invested feats/xp/cheese.I think I was confusing Item Familiar with Ancestral Relic a little.

Ask your DM if you can take Ancestral Relic as well, and THEN sacrifice it, making your relic your familiar. Perhaps your DM will allow you to swap it over.

Otherwise, you'll have to sunder and destroy your sword, have it PAO'd into a broken ring, and have a truenamer fix it for you?