PDA

View Full Version : Non-Caster Magic

Fable Wright
2013-02-26, 09:03 PM
I'm trying to make a build for a low-level setting (somewhere between E6 and E10) that is, in essence, a Gish with no spellcasting ability whatsoever, and I'm trying to figure out how to make it work. I'm thinking of using Binder for the base class, and using Ceremony feats, Dark Speech, and Incantations to try to make it work. Are there any other ways of getting obvious magical effects or subtle, permanent (or very long lasting; at least a week+ duration) magical buffs on a character with no spell slots, power points, or caster level of their own?

Kuulvheysoon
2013-02-26, 09:19 PM
Have you looked into Incarnum? Lawful (Neutral) Incarnates can get pretty good to hit bonuses and send their BA straight to Power Attack, and still have their other soulmelds for pseudo-magical effects.

If you're feeling a bit... daring, there's always the Truenamer...

Psyren
2013-02-26, 09:21 PM
Incarnum does better at low levels than Binding due to the large number of options you get right out of the gate. In addition, soulmelds last as long as you want (you can keep the same ones shaped for your entire life if you desire), fulfilling your duration requirements.

Incarnum can be subtle (skill and attack bonuses) or dramatic (weapons out of thin air, shooting lightning or acid, flight, healing.)

tuesdayscoming
2013-02-26, 09:25 PM
Have you, by chance, taken a gander at this build (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=5111.0)?

Fable Wright
2013-02-26, 09:58 PM
I'll consider Incarnum; I was going with Binder because of the mix of both passive and active abilities per vestige that complement each other that can be switched out, and the Binder buffs are far subtle than incarnum buffs. Another look wouldn't hurt. Any other variants/feats/subsystems?

Have you, by chance, taken a gander at this build (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=5111.0)?

I have indeed; however, SLA manipulation feels too close to actual casting for me, so I'm trying to avoid that.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-02-26, 10:03 PM
Have you looked into Incarnum? Lawful (Neutral) Incarnates can get pretty good to hit bonuses and send their BA straight to Power Attack, and still have their other soulmelds for pseudo-magical effects.

If you're feeling a bit... daring, there's always the Truenamer...

I'll consider Incarnum; I was going with Binder because of the mix of both passive and active abilities per vestige that complement each other that can be switched out, and the Binder buffs are far subtle than incarnum buffs. Another look wouldn't hurt. Any other variants/feats/subsystems?

You could also try Swordsage and focus on Desert Wind/Shadow Hand and call yourself a blade wizard?

monkey3
2013-02-27, 11:49 AM
It is more of an E10 build, but at (minimum) 9th level you can do a "Fiend of Possession" build. They are pretty funky, and castery, without needing to take any caster levels. Google it and see.