PDA

View Full Version : Gravewalker Witch (Pathfinder)

Valdras
2013-02-26, 10:36 PM
Soooo, I decided to ditch cleric, as it was not really suitable for playing in a group with a paladin when you are evil.

So making a Chaotic Good Witch, who believes he is using evil against evil.

I was just wondering, with the Gravewalker, do you need to keep feeding it undead? And if you do, does that mean I need to take a patron with someway on animating dead? Because I was more just wanting the theme of he was turning the undead on themselves, not making more of them.

I was just going to take Insanity, as it looks fun. Can I get some Patron advice?

I was also thinking of making a Tiefling, so he is trying to prove that he isn't evil, and he can prove that good can come from anything, including zombies... lol.

Any advice, we are doing the Crypt of the Everflame, so level 1-3 only at this point, but we are hoping to do all 3 of the adventures.

Psyren
2013-02-26, 10:48 PM
"Feed it undead?" No, you don't have to do anything like that. You can play it without animating dead at all if you want.

You can also pick any patron you want - just keep in mind that no matter which one you pick, some of its spells will be replaced with the Gravewalker spells.

Gravewalker is powerful - one of the Witch's weaknesses is undead, and that archetype gives you means of dealing with them. In addition, the voodoo doll familiar is a lot harder to kill (being an attended item) and can deliver touch spells for you without putting itself in harm's way. Granted this has a hefty action cost, but it's better than trying to get close or use your hair or something.

Note though that the aura is always on, and it seems to strengthen enemy undead as well as yours. Your Paladin might not be too happy about that, especially since it is "an aura of evil power." Your DM may decide you radiate evil regardless of your actual alignment, so be careful.

grarrrg
2013-02-26, 11:02 PM
Soooo, I decided to ditch cleric, as it was not really suitable for playing in a group with a paladin when you are evil.

So making a Chaotic Good Witch, who believes he is using evil against evil.

I was just wondering, with the Gravewalker, do you need to keep feeding it undead? And if you do, does that mean I need to take a patron with someway on animating dead? Because I was more just wanting the theme of he was turning the undead on themselves, not making more of them.

Gravewalker (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/witch/archetypes/paizo---witch-archetypes/gravewalker) automatically replaces some of your Patron spells with other spells.
So you will have some "undead stuff" from ANY patron you select.

As an alternative, if you want "not evil undead" there is the Juju Mystery (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/oracle/mysteries/paizo---oracle-mysteries/juju) Oracle

Valdras
2013-02-27, 04:50 AM
Ok, so the DM has be so kind to tell me that I would come up as "unquestionably evil"... so time to hit the drawing board.

I was thinking either a Grenaider Alchemist with a long bow, or a ranger of some sort with a long bow.

Any thoughts?

Chained Birds
2013-02-27, 10:27 AM
Ok, so the DM has be so kind to tell me that I would come up as "unquestionably evil"... so time to hit the drawing board.

I was thinking either a Grenaider Alchemist with a long bow, or a ranger of some sort with a long bow.

Any thoughts?

What are you looking for? A ranged character? Crowd Control?

Seems like a big step from Witch to Ranger.

Arbane
2013-02-27, 02:33 PM

Maybe take the Plague patron for a regular witch? It gives you some nice undead-controlling spells.

DonDuckie
2013-02-27, 02:39 PM
Gravewalker (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/witch/archetypes/paizo---witch-archetypes/gravewalker) automatically replaces some of your Patron spells with other spells.
So you will have some "undead stuff" from ANY patron you select.

As an alternative, if you want "not evil undead" there is the Juju Mystery (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/oracle/mysteries/paizo---oracle-mysteries/juju) Oracle

The editor's note on juju mystery states the non-evil undead was an oversight, and GMs should consider them evil.

Daftendirekt
2013-02-27, 04:06 PM
The editor's note on juju mystery states the non-evil undead was an oversight, and GMs should consider them evil.

...Oversight? How could quite specifically telling us they're not evil in this instance when they're not usually be an oversight? Forgetting to mention that it's not evil would be an oversight. Eff that.

grarrrg
2013-02-27, 05:13 PM
...Oversight? How could quite specifically telling us they're not evil in this instance when they're not usually be an oversight? Forgetting to mention that it's not evil would be an oversight. Eff that.

Because both D&D and PF have a VERY hardcore UNDEAD=EVIL thing going on.

And because "UNDEAD EQUALS EVIL!!!!" was apparently not drilled into the head of whoever wrote the book that Juju Mystery was in.

Yeah....

Daftendirekt
2013-02-27, 08:28 PM
Why not just come out to us and say "Well, we might as well just scrap the whole Juju mystery, as making non-evil undead was pretty much its whole shtick."? :smallconfused:

Morons.

Apart from the fact that I've always, always, ALWAYS hated that animating dead automatically equates to evil. The end justifies the means. Also, the means of acquiring the corpses and the corpses' identities in life should be taken into consideration (not by the rules; that would just create a cluster**** of complicated rules. Just don't give the spell an [Alignment] tag.).