PDA

View Full Version : The coolest spell you know!?!!

silverwolfer
2013-02-26, 10:40 PM
Mine.... I think would have to be

Avascular Mass

Dark Evil ray attack that strikes, and if works as it should...

Makes the bodies skin explode, oozing blood that keeps the person alive, but sends out a 20 ft wide gooey mess. It animates the blood acting like a web spell, but even if you break free, you are stuck in it and entangled and must move slowely through the mess to get out of it.

Oh and the poor sap that got hit with the spell ? He loses half his health and is stunned for a round

*grins* a really nice thematic BBEG spell if you have the type of party that likes to stay clustered, or have a NPC that can die and you use it for a surprise round.

Slipperychicken
2013-02-26, 10:56 PM
Eternity of Torture (BoVD Pain 9). Because torturing people all day 'erry day takes time away from adventuring. You can still keep the guy around as a punching bag, or just stuff him in your Bag of Holding and let him rot.

AsteriskAmp
2013-02-26, 11:00 PM
Streamers; because seeing the DM crying on the floor is priceless.

The only spell which makes you regret breaking action economy. The only spell that damages the BBEG when he tries to monologue as part of its description.

It's Silence; it's Immobilization; it's Stunning and Dazing; it's a a no Save.

Psyren
2013-02-26, 11:00 PM
Hypercognition (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/hypercognition.htm)

"Gimme a sec. Okay, got it."

(Can you tell Blue was my main color in M:TG?)

Silva Stormrage
2013-02-26, 11:01 PM
Invisible Blackfire. Nothing quite like having a spreading flame of death that turns people to ashes prevents resurrection and people have no idea what is happening. Quite fun.

Gnomish Wanderer
2013-02-26, 11:01 PM
Prestidigitation. It is the best spell

Gildedragon
2013-02-26, 11:02 PM
Prestidigitation.
'Nuff said.

*swordsaged

Morcleon
2013-02-26, 11:04 PM
Deja Vu (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/dejaVu.htm) is really fun if you can pump the DC high enough. :smallbiggrin:

...:smallamused:

Fates
2013-02-26, 11:07 PM
I'm a big fan of invisible fog cloud (though it works just as well with any other kind of cloud). Crank this out whenever you're fighting something with True Seeing/See Invisibility, and suddenly it's basically blinded, flat-footed, and what have you. Everyone in the party gets 20/50% concealment, and your rogue takes the thing down in a couple rounds. This trick has saved my party's collective ass probably half a dozen times by now.

Xenogears
2013-02-26, 11:07 PM
Can we count powers? If so Death Urge and Deja Vu (especially when combined) are wonderfully fun and flavorful.

Only counting spells? I have a special affinity for the spells Lahm's Finder Darts and Crushing Fist of Spite.

Fates
2013-02-26, 11:18 PM
I've had a LOT of fun with the Power Leech spell (BoVD). Particularly when you apply Extend Spell to it. An eleventh-level cleric or wizard with enough spells/day can easily get +22 to every ability this way. If you manage to get it persisted (depends on your DM's interpretation of the feat), and you've got wands of lesser restoration, you can boost your abilities by hundreds to thousands of points. It's a very abusable spell.

Phelix-Mu
2013-02-26, 11:34 PM
Touch of Green Slime, from BoVD. Used this on a player that was separated from the rest of the group, it was quite a memorable way for the guy to die. Anything with green slime is just awesome, but this wins in my book for really terrible way to bite it.

Alleran
2013-02-26, 11:41 PM
Iceberg.

Not for the power of a spell or anything like that (though it isn't exactly terrible, either). But because sometimes, when push comes to shove, you've got to just buck up and drop a giant Titanic bane improvised weapon on some poor sap's head. The imagery alone had me in stitches the first time I saw it.

Although there is something to be said for the coolest spell (barring perhaps Frostfell :smallbiggrin: ) I know.

Krobar
2013-02-26, 11:50 PM
My personal favorite is Fimbulwinter. 1 mile per CL radius is pretty nice, especially when it lasts 4d12 weeks.

DarkestKnight
2013-02-26, 11:51 PM
I always enjoy Eye of the Hurricane. Surrounding yourself with hurricane speed winds that move with you is always fun, especially when you declare that you will charge the oncoming cavalry.

Psyren
2013-02-26, 11:52 PM
Can we count powers?

I certainly intend to! :smallbiggrin:

If so Death Urge and Deja Vu (especially when combined) are wonderfully fun and flavorful.

Another combo with Death Urge is Temporal Reiteration. Use the "share" function, and every effect on the target with a duration - including Death Urge - is extended for a round with no save or PR allowed, so long as they are within 30 feet. Spam that every round and they won't stop trying to kill themselves until they succeed (or pass out.)

Another fun/weird power is Personality Parasite. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/personalityParasite.htm) It doesn't do much to spellcasters (unless they have SLAs or still/silent spells) but you can really wreak havoc on Incarnum users and Binders. For the former, it can start unshaping all their melds, leaving them completely without Incarnum for the rest of the day; for the latter, it can blow many of your "cooldown" abilities before you can get a chance to use it.

Also, Deja Vu (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/dejaVu.htm) is really fun if you can pump the DC high enough.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-02-27, 12:00 AM
I'm a fan of Arboreal Transformation - pass the save, and be slowed for 1 day/CL. Pass.

Deja Vu (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/dejaVu.htm) is really fun if you can pump the DC high enough.

chronomatophobe
2013-02-27, 12:13 AM
My favorites are Defenestrating Sphere because it's got more personality than any other spell, and a roiling ball of air that exists solely to toss people at the nearest window is a friend to me.

Otherwise, (and I forget the name) but the ray in BoVD that damages the whomever the target cares about most on the plane.

Fell Drain Freezing Fog's up there, though.

ArcturusV
2013-02-27, 12:28 AM
Well, not "Most effective", but was kinda fun. Getting the Second Edition "Lightning Bolt" spell houseruled into a 3rd edition game. If you never played it, one of the rules that changed in newer editions is that if the bolt hit some solid barrier, rather than "just stop" like it does now, it ricocheted and kept going until it eventually ran out of range. Had to be a geometry whiz, but you could end up getting Lightning Bolts that would fry everyone in a room several different times. Lots of fun.

Any illusion spell counts as a favorite of mine. I love how they force me to think outside pure stats and game the situation/enemies rather than the system itself.

Otherwise, (and I forget the name) but the ray in BoVD that damages the whomever the target cares about most on the plane.

You're thinking of Love's Pain, fun, powerful with Mindrape shenanigans too.

ThatKreacher
2013-02-27, 12:28 AM
I really like Splinterbolt. Just the idea of sending javelins of wood towards your enemies with a flick of a flake of wood is really appealing to me.

Venger
2013-02-27, 12:30 AM

love's pain?

it's difficult for me to pick just one, but a frontrunner for me would have to be sonorous hum. it's a real bummer when a spell is duration (concentration) and I love having a way to laugh in the face of that.

The Viscount
2013-02-27, 12:30 AM
Pact of Return. Laugh in the face of death. Prep it and do something suicidal. Combine with phoenix fire. Win.

Venger
2013-02-27, 12:33 AM
Pact of Return. Laugh in the face of death. Prep it and do something suicidal. Combine with phoenix fire. Win.

there are few sweeter pleasures than using hierophant's "spell like ability" ability for pact of return. 2/day, cheat death. opponents will just have to deal with it. layer supernatural transformation on top of it, and it can't even be dispelled anymore

Bonzai
2013-02-27, 12:45 AM
In my last campaign I got a ton of mileage out of Dimensional Shuffle. It's one of the few offensive teleport spells out there. I would spell sequencer out an Evards and caustic mire, then dimensional shuffle a group of opponents into it. This leaves them nice and clumped for acid storms, fire balls, or what have you. Or it can be used to reposition you and your team mates.

Tokuhara
2013-02-27, 12:58 AM
I'm a simple man, who loves the tried and true spells.

Magic Missile is still my coolest spell. Well, do note that this was an Awakened Living Magic Missile Familiar used by a Lesser Axani Conjurer/Force Missile Mage/Spell Sovereign who used it to decimate anyone who thought to stand before him.

Miriad
2013-02-27, 01:07 AM
I'm a big fan of invisible fog cloud (though it works just as well with any other kind of cloud). Crank this out whenever you're fighting something with True Seeing/See Invisibility, and suddenly it's basically blinded, flat-footed, and what have you. Everyone in the party gets 20/50% concealment, and your rogue takes the thing down in a couple rounds. This trick has saved my party's collective ass probably half a dozen times by now.

Wouldnt your party also have 20%/50% miss chance?

kardar233
2013-02-27, 01:12 AM
I'm a huge fan of Inconstant Location, as powers go.

Battlemagic Perception and Spellcaster's Bane do similar but equally awesome things.

Lost Empires of Faerun has a couple of unappreciated gems. Nezram's Emerald Energy Shield is a good way to protect against the Holy Word line without resorting to Silence (which can cripple you just as much). Sakkratar's Triplestrike gives two bonus attacks, making it much better than Haste if you don't need the speed and AC boosts, and also makes your weapon Keen and Flaming.

Battletide is a great spell for an offensive cleric, though often overlooked as you need to be an Initiate of Bane (or an Archivist) to cast it.

Holy Star is one of the few ways to get a Circumstance bonus to AC.

Improved Blink (from Unapproachable East, not to be confused with Greater Blink from Spell Compendium) is a really excellent iteration of the Blink spell.

Favourite spell is probably PF's Enemy Katamari Aqueous Orb (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/advanced/spells/aqueousOrb.html). So many possibilities.

Felandria
2013-02-27, 01:12 AM
In another thread, we were talking about how weak Enlarge Person looks next to Righteous Might, but Divine Vessel makes Righteous Might look pathetic.

Especially the Celestial version, you gotta love it when you get bigger and your Dex goes UP.

HandofCrom
2013-02-27, 01:57 AM
I love Incite Riot and Friend to Foe from PHBII. They are both basically Power Word: Hilarity Ensues when used in crowded areas.

Silva Stormrage
2013-02-27, 02:07 AM
In another thread, we were talking about how weak Enlarge Person looks next to Righteous Might, but Divine Vessel makes Righteous Might look pathetic.

Especially the Celestial version, you gotta love it when you get bigger and your Dex goes UP.

What spell is this? I haven't heard of it and google isn't turning up anything.

ShadowFireLance
2013-02-27, 02:46 AM
Mindrape, That spell is the best thing ever.

Example:

So, I know this was kind of mean, but It was so funny, my DM let me get away with it after only one book thrown at me. (No really, I got smacked with the DMG)

So I finally get to level 20, and finish selecting my spells (Sorc) I ask the Dm if i can take spells from any source, as long as it's D&D 3.X, He replies yes.
So, I select Mindrape.
:smallamused:
Middle of fight, I have managed, thus far, to take down the BBEG's Will save, and right when he's about to finish summoning Demon for world ending (Found out that there was NO way in the entire game that we could have killed the BBEG without help) I hit him with Mindrape.
He rolls a 1.
:smallcool:
I make him continue to summon the Demon, But it is now my lapdog.
I was handed a Smoothie Coupon, and told to go get that, and some more pizza while I was out, so DM could gather the map's and stuff, and sort out table to begin next adventure.
Ah, Sweet victory.

Rhynn
2013-02-27, 02:59 AM
I know a spell that can kill a yak from 200 yards away...

No, seriously. 3.0 slime wave, from Masters of the Wild.

1d6 Con damage per round per 5 feet of you face, for 1 round/level., in a 15 ft. radius spread at close range. Reflex negates. Cleric/druid 7.

Depending on how you interpret that, a colossal dragon (face 40 ft. by 80 ft.) will take something like 48d6 Con damage per round after failing a save.

Even against medium creatures, it's doing from 1d6 to 4d6 (go figure what "per 5 feet of you face" means!) Con damage per round, after a single failed save. After the first round, you can't scrape it off, and it's completely unclear how much scraping a 40 by 80 foot dragon would have to do. In one round.

It's the only spell I've banned, and I banned it before even seeing it used in play.

Felandria
2013-02-27, 04:32 AM
What spell is this? I haven't heard of it and google isn't turning up anything.

http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/advanced/spells/divineVessel.html

Malimar
2013-02-27, 05:00 AM
My personal favorite is Fimbulwinter. 1 mile per CL radius is pretty nice, especially when it lasts 4d12 weeks.

Fimbulwinter is pretty excellent, but my money's on apocalypse from the sky. 10d6 damage to every creature and object in a 10-mile/CL radius is delightfully straightforward. It would obliterate any given country in most settings (assuming nations nations basically the size of Europe's).

Side benefit: because it lists "an artifact" as its material component, it's the most reliable way to destroy any artifact.

Wonton
2013-02-27, 05:25 AM
Let's see... if you'd asked me for the most FUN spell to use, I'd say Melf's Unicorn Arrow (PHB 2). You get to damage and push multiple people around. If you can't think of a use for multiple DC 21 Bull Rushes, you're not trying hard enough.

Rainblow Blast (SpC) gets a special mention for being literally the only time you will ever get to roll 5d12 for damage.

Baleful Transposition and Pyrotechnics are 2 more deceptively simple spells that can be useful in virtually any situation if you have a bit of creativity.

If we're just talking about the coolest spell though... strangely enough, as you go up in levels, Sor/Wiz stuff starts getting less flashy and it's Druids that end up with the cool stuff. Maelstrom? Tsunami? Storm of Vengeance? Avalanche? Holy ****, all of those just conjure images of raw magical power. Things like Gate and Power Word: Kill are not nearly as exciting.

Although as far Sor/Wiz stuff goes, 3.0 Meteor Swarm gets a special mention for having several pre-determined explosion patterns in the book.

So basically, Sherlock Holmes?

P.S. Special mention for Vitrify from Sandstorm. You turn sand into molten glass and watch as enemies are burned alive and then trapped as it solidifies.

nedz
2013-02-27, 05:51 AM
Silent Image / Major Image — Weaponises your imagination.

Hallucinatory Terrain / Mirage Arcana — Reimaginize the battle map.

My all time favourite though was an old 2E spell: Inverted Ethics.
Basically fail the save and your behaviour is reversed. Best ever magical trap on a treasure chest. Open the lock and make a deposit.

Venger
2013-02-27, 10:16 AM
Fimbulwinter is pretty excellent, but my money's on apocalypse from the sky. 10d6 damage to every creature and object in a 10-mile/CL radius is delightfully straightforward. It would obliterate any given country in most settings (assuming nations nations basically the size of Europe's).

Side benefit: because it lists "an artifact" as its material component, it's the most reliable way to destroy any artifact.
it was errata'd to be a focus instead, so you don't have to destroy an artifact.

In my last campaign I got a ton of mileage out of Dimensional Shuffle. It's one of the few offensive teleport spells out there. I would spell sequencer out an Evards and caustic mire, then dimensional shuffle a group of opponents into it. This leaves them nice and clumped for acid storms, fire balls, or what have you. Or it can be used to reposition you and your team mates.

dimension shuffle goes very well with the others (scattering trap, benign/baleful transposition, translocation trick, dimension leap, dimension jump, and of course, bewildering substitution)

but they all become 20% cooler when you add in one weird little spell:

anticipate teleportation.

a 3rd level abjuration spell that lasts 24 hours. a prime candidate for extending. in a 5/lvl radius around yourself, you know the size, number, and square that people teleporting in range will arrive in. used defensively, it's kind of lackluster. however, it also delays their arrival for a round.

combine this spell with all the aforementioned effects, along with buff/party friendly effects, such as regroup, knight's move, and stand, and you'll be able to have unprecedented battlefield control.

also comes in greater if you cast 6ths, but it tells you the arriving creature's type (great no-save way to see through shapeshifters and the like) and gives a delay of 3 rounds.

I'd say that with support, anticipate teleportation is probably the coolest spell

The Succubus
2013-02-27, 10:21 AM
While Cone of Cold would be a strong contender, the fact that it affects a large area means its overall coolness would be affected by the ambient temperature of the room. Ray of Frost would be much cooler, due to its precise focus.

CigarPete
2013-02-27, 10:26 AM
Just for the general theme, I love Lightning Leap. From CM, you change into a bolt of lightning, travel up to 60ft doing damage on the way, provoking no AoO, and re-constitute on the other side.

Venger
2013-02-27, 10:27 AM
Door of decay. walk through an undead you control, walk out another one 100 miles/cl away. awesome.

Eugenides
2013-02-27, 10:31 AM
Always liked Heart Ripper from the assassin spell list. Even though it's not all that useful, the image of someone basically using it to mass murder commoners is always... yeah I don't actually know how to finish this sentence. Spell blows your heart out your back, ok?

Amphetryon
2013-02-27, 10:46 AM
Defenestrating Sphere is always fun.

Malimar
2013-02-27, 11:01 AM

it was errata'd to be a focus instead, so you don't have to destroy an artifact.

Isn't that from some unofficial source? I can't find it in any official errata. Am I just blind?

Venger
2013-02-27, 11:36 AM
Isn't that from some unofficial source? I can't find it in any official errata. Am I just blind?

derp. now that I look it up, it's just FAQ, which is just as useful as always. ignore what I said, it's a good way to destroy items without using an alternate casting system.

while the FAQ for bovd isn't exactly helpful, there are some questions that have no real answer without them, like the numerous corrupt spells with a permanent duration, how often many of the thrall/disciple classes can use their features, and what pincer claws is supposed to do.

Psyren
2013-02-27, 12:08 PM
So basically, Sherlock Holmes?

More like Jeff Goldblum :smalltongue: you don't even need clues, just that one hint your sort of maybe heard in the bar one time from that stranger in the corner mumbling to himself whose face you couldn't remember.

Deja Vu (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/dejaVu.htm) is really fun if you can pump the DC high enough.

Raimun
2013-02-27, 12:09 PM
Fly. Flying is both fun and useful.

In same vein, I also like Overland Flight, Wind Walk, Stormrage, Celestial Aspect and Greater Visage of the Deity.

ZamielVanWeber
2013-02-27, 12:13 PM
Giant Size. Fear the Wu Jen! Also the only spell I have forbidden from being cast on a yak in my DM career.

Snowbluff
2013-02-27, 12:16 PM
Friendly Fire. Gets pretty good versatility with the immediate and round/level uses. Shuts down ranged attackers. :smallamused:

Wings of Cover and Ice Lance are probably my faves imagery wise.

navar100
2013-02-27, 12:23 PM
Blessing of Fervor, Pathfinder

4th level cleric spell that allows the recipients a choice of options at the start of their turn and change it each round.

+30 ft speed
Make an extra attack at highest BAB in a full attack
Stand up from prone as a swift action, no AoO
+2 bonus on attack rolls and +2 dodge bonus to AC and reflex save
Cast a 2nd level or lower spell as Silent, Still, Enlarged, or Extended

Raimun
2013-02-27, 12:28 PM

4th level cleric spell that allows the recipients a choice of options at the start of their turn and change it each round.

+30 ft speed

I'm really looking forward to using this. I can just imagine their faces when they realize the possibilities.

Eldest
2013-02-27, 12:31 PM

So you compared a level 1 spell to a level 5 spell, and then both to a level 8 spell. And were surprised when the level 8 spell was more powerful.

I'm going to (third, I think?) prestidigitation.

Felandria
2013-02-27, 12:48 PM
One day someone's going to have to explain to me exactly what's so great about prestidigitation.

No, really, I don't know.

Gnomish Wanderer
2013-02-27, 12:55 PM
One day someone's going to have to explain to me exactly what's so great about prestidigitation.

Because you can do anything with it, if you try hard enough. It is creativity in spell form.

Cuthalion
2013-02-27, 12:59 PM
Dream could be hilarious. Elf wizard:Dream about pink hippopotami with tutus doing hula dances.

Krobar
2013-02-27, 01:02 PM

You can do all kinds of things with it. You can make poison taste like candy. You can make ale taste like **** (makes it easy to beat a dwarf in a drinking contest, with money on the line). You can turn angry barbarians pink. You can change the color of your clothes. It's great for personal hygiene. You can keep dry in a storm. You can make people pour their drinks over their own heads when they try to take a drink of something. How long does it take to clean blood soaked clothing? One standard action, and you don't even need to take it off.

It's great for improving your own quality of life, so to speak.

You're only limited by your own creativity, and "minor effects."

Snowbluff
2013-02-27, 01:03 PM

+30 ft speed

I'm really looking forward to using this. I can just imagine their faces when they realize the possibilities.

Uh... just 1 thing... it's a crummy version of haste. The free MM and Stand spell look nice, but the other benefits are found on a lower spell simultaneously.

NEO|Phyte
2013-02-27, 01:11 PM
Since we're including psionics, I've always been fond of Form of Doom (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/formofDoom.htm) because really, who DOESN'T get the urge to grab hold of that monstrous aspect of your psyche and yank it to the front of the classroom, complete with tentacles?

kardar233
2013-02-27, 01:37 PM
Just for the general theme, I love Lightning Leap. From CM, you change into a bolt of lightning, travel up to 60ft doing damage on the way, provoking no AoO, and re-constitute on the other side.

An even cooler version is Firestride Exhalation from Dragon Magic. Throw 8d6 of fire breath, then teleport to any place even partially inside the affected area.

Raimun
2013-02-27, 02:04 PM
Uh... just 1 thing... it's a crummy version of haste. The free MM and Stand spell look nice, but the other benefits are found on a lower spell simultaneously.

Free metamagic is a huge bonus. Besides, it looks like no one in the group will be able to cast haste. This spell will make an oomph.

Yora
2013-02-27, 02:19 PM
Extract Water Elemental. Never seen it in action anywhere, or even as a scroll or someones known spell.
But the whole concet is awesome. :smallbiggrin:

Xenogears
2013-02-27, 02:26 PM
Another great Power is Control Body. Fort Save or have your body taken over. 4th level Kineticist only power that only works on Humanoids so it doesn't look that great but there are two small details. The first is that it is non-mind affecting and the second is that it explicitly also works on humanoid shaped outsiders and undead.

So what kind of Fort Save do you think that Lich over there has? You can either hold him helpless (yay for free Coup de Grace!) for up to 1min/ML or you can go make him punch his minions in the face just for fun.

Deja Vu is really fun if you can pump the DC high enough.

Aliek
2013-02-27, 02:27 PM
Not exactly a powerful option, but I like the Silverbeard spell.

Level 1 paladin spell? Sure.
It gives you a beard made of silver.
Even if you're an elf and/or a woman
It grants you some AC

And best of all, it gives you a diplomacy bonus with dwarves

Moradin would be proud

Also,
Deja Vu (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/dejaVu.htm) is really fun if you can pump the DC high enough.[/QUOTE]

navar100
2013-02-27, 03:39 PM

1) Clerics don't get Haste
2) It provides for more options than Haste
3) I like it as requested.

Snowbluff
2013-02-27, 04:04 PM
1) Clerics don't get Haste
2) It provides for more options than Haste
3) I like it as requested.

Well, my problem is that it provides the benefits one at a time, and they would be damned helpful... if you could use the options all at the same time. The "extra options" are a first level spell and Metamagic that would not help most of your team members. You know what spells Clerics do get? Righteous Wrath of the Faithful and Freedom of Movement. :smallannoyed:

Sure you like the spell, but I am putting this under "Reasons why I do not like PF". :smalltongue:

Phelix-Mu
2013-02-27, 04:24 PM
*borg face* Deja Vu is really fun if you can pump the DC high enough.

Sandstorm and Frostburn spells added considerably to innovative battlefield control. Along with Spell Compendium, some stuff was created that can have cool knock-on effects.

Blizzard: Need lots of water? This spell makes a ton of snow in a massive radius, and if you melt it (since it doesn't actually change the ambient temperature except by adding snow, this is not hard to achieve) you get some pretty whacky numbers. I understand that 3 inches of snow is equal to 1 inch of water...I think you can see where I'm going with this.

Transmute x to y: A lot of spells of this type were introduced in Frostburn and Sandstorm. Flesh to ice is one of the most enjoyable ways to kill people as a druid, IMHO. The stone<->sand<->glass series is very fun out of combat, and, as mentioned before, vitrify is made of pure awesome.

Frostfell: Oh, I practically married this spell as a high-level druid. It's like firestorm, but practically 100% better, with fun side effects, boosting other cold spells, massive and shapeable, really it's hard to ask for much more. Plus, the permafrost aspect, zomg, talk about law of unintended consequences. Also, lots of fun to use on flyers.

Flashflood: Did blizzard teach you about the fun of making lots of water? Well, here's part two. Cast it and then summon water elementals, send them around to stir up little blenders of water filled with bits of debris. Really, as long as collateral damage isn't a problem, this is always cool. Also check out it's big brother, tsunami, which is even more spectacular (but also pretty restricted by expense and situational reqs). For more fun, flash flood and then frostfell.

Force the DM to improv thermodynamics rules on the fly by chain-comboing (extra points if you cooperated with an ally) fire and cold effects in altered terrain. Invisible, low CL blizzard, frostfell to make the snow stick in a specific area, carve away some of the snow outside the resulting snow field with fire effects/wall of magma, blood snow on the invisible snow, wait for the screams of your enemies to die away, pour yourself another [insert drink of choice] and relax.

almightycoma
2013-02-27, 05:18 PM
it may not be the best spell in the world, but i love vortex of teeth. the image is sweet.
shred my enemies with a vicious school of see though piranhas? Ah yes please.

Doorhandle
2013-02-27, 05:19 PM
Call the void (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/c/call-the-void) would be the most coolest spell I have found.

Ongoing (and seemingly untyped) damage, fatigue, silencing, suffocation, and they can't cast because of that, for the low price of a third level slot and camping yourself next to them. Note that YOU can still cast and breathe.

Icing on the cake? Using a Magus arcana, a magus can take this as well, and unlike the wizard would actually benefit from be adjacent to his foes. Find a way to immobilize them and they are basically screwed.

Shining Wrath
2013-02-27, 05:58 PM

Because you can do any little thing you want. Anything you can think of that Gandalf or Merlin would do casually without effort. You can turn a cubic foot of water (~8 gallons!) into perfectly flavored tea. You can put away a book without getting out of bed. You can give the bully down on the street a wedgie.

Venger
2013-02-27, 07:06 PM
*hilarity*

man, I love those two books. they've got all kinds of killer stuff in there.

one that you didn't mention is body blaze. If you can find ways of boosting your movement speed, you can do truly stupid things with this spell. run circles around your enemies, tumble through their squares, or do other weird things. combine with flight effects or spider climb to get truly weird.

Another great Power is Control Body. Fort Save or have your body taken over. 4th level Kineticist only power that only works on Humanoids so it doesn't look that great but there are two small details. The first is that it is non-mind affecting and the second is that it explicitly also works on humanoid shaped outsiders and undead.

So what kind of Fort Save do you think that Lich over there has? You can either hold him helpless (yay for free Coup de Grace!) for up to 1min/ML or you can go make him punch his minions in the face just for fun.

control body is great, and like dominate person, is often more useful defensively than offensively. a psion getting int to AC? yes please.

liches, being undead, are immune to CDG, since they are immune to crits. having him go lich touch his minions for paralysis is pretty awesome though:

one more thing, déjà vu is really fun if you can pump the DC high enough.

Xenogears
2013-02-27, 07:44 PM
control body is great, and like dominate person, is often more useful defensively than offensively. a psion getting int to AC? yes please.

liches, being undead, are immune to CDG, since they are immune to crits. having him go lich touch his minions for paralysis is pretty awesome though:

one more thing, déjà vu is really fun if you can pump the DC high enough.

Well you don't need CDG to kill a helpless Lich in up to 70 rounds (at min lvl to use it as a Psion). Although yeah replacing it's normal attack and defense stats with your Int would be good fun. Actually a Monk controlled by a Psion would be pretty good. Get's the Psion's Int to attack, dmg, and AC but can keep the wisdom to AC (says you lose dex to AC but nothing else). So they can dump dex and str and focus on Con and Wis to be the perfect mannequin for the Psion lol.

Phelix-Mu
2013-02-27, 08:18 PM
On a related, but slightly less effective note, there was a cool spell, Drow of the Underdark, IIRC, ooze puppet or some such, that allowed one to, you guessed it, telekinetically control an ooze. Sounded cool, not sure if the mechanic backed it up.

Venger
2013-02-27, 08:26 PM
On a related, but slightly less effective note, there was a cool spell, Drow of the Underdark, IIRC, ooze puppet or some such, that allowed one to, you guessed it, telekinetically control an ooze. Sounded cool, not sure if the mechanic backed it up.

oozepuppet is indeed the name of the spell. it's not in drow of the underdark ,though it is mentioned there. it's in spell compendium with an incredibly awesome picture (of drow controlling an ooze) which is probably why you thought DoTU. it's also in fiendish codex 1 which puts it on the ooze domain a level early.

the mechanic totally backed it up. fort save vs being under your complete control for 1 day/lvl move action for you for a full round from it, and it's still when you're not jerking it around, not uncontrolled. you can be any distance you like as long as you've got LOE to it too

Wonton
2013-02-28, 03:20 AM
Call the void (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/c/call-the-void) would be the most coolest spell I have found.

Ongoing (and seemingly untyped) damage, fatigue, silencing, suffocation, and they can't cast because of that, for the low price of a third level slot and camping yourself next to them. Note that YOU can still cast and breathe.

Icing on the cake? Using a Magus arcana, a magus can take this as well, and unlike the wizard would actually benefit from be adjacent to his foes. Find a way to immobilize them and they are basically screwed.

That's a really good one. I might just take that if I end up playing a 5th-level character in the future.

I'd also like to add in a special mention for Flame Strike. Something about the fact that it's a cylinder that specifically states it goes down, not up... it just conjures a great image of a Cleric's power. As does the flavour text: "a vertical column of divine fire roaring downward". A Fireball is just a grenade, this... this is magic.

Jigokuro
2013-02-28, 04:35 AM
I'm a fan of Ray of Stupidity for every possible factor. The effect is both powerful and hilarious, and even the name is fun. Takes out any beast instantly, or makes any intelligent opponent, uh, less so. More fun if the DM role plays the change accordingly.
Also Nystul's Magic Aura can be fun if used imaginatively. Identify takes time (and money) to cast, and anything less until high levels won't notice. Always useful to convince someone you either have or don't have extremely powerful magics. Use it on illusions of epic spells to scare anyone.:smallamused:
Oh, and Deja Vu (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/dejaVu.htm) is really fun if you can pump the DC high enough.

Daftendirekt
2013-02-28, 06:41 AM
Extract Water Elemental. Never seen it in action anywhere, or even as a scroll or someones known spell.
But the whole concet is awesome. :smallbiggrin:

Yes. Realistically, it's not that good, as it only extracts the elemental if the spell actually kills the opponent, which means you need to wait until the BBEG is weak to begin with. But still, it's so cool. And horrifying.

Mr Adventurer
2013-02-28, 09:18 AM
I've seen it used... the problem is to get the most out of it you need to target a big living creature, who also tend to be the ones with high Fort saves.

Venger
2013-02-28, 09:41 AM
I've seen it used... the problem is to get the most out of it you need to target a big living creature, who also tend to be the ones with high Fort saves.

So?

it's on the sor/wiz or druid list. just summon something big, let it sponge up some hits from the enemy (or have it tie up the enemy and bomb the hell out of them both with AoEs) and then just target your summon instead. if your DM doesn't allow you to command underlings to fail saving throws, just wait till you are certain CL/2 d6 will kill him and bingo bango, you have a water elemental to help in your fight

Ruethgar
2013-02-28, 10:54 AM
Create Water, since it doesn't explicitly specify that you need to create liquid water, can make a fog greater than any other spell or a wall of snow that can provide decent protection 6 levels before wall of stone especially as a conjure-focused caster. Yay science!

My DM grudgingly agreed that create water could technically be used like that but split them into four different spells (ice, water, fog, snow) and made the fog 0.1% of what it mathematically should have been and requires all snow walls to have a much thicker base and may topple entirely if significant damage is taken.

Apart from that I like Create Life and Genesis.

nedz
2013-02-28, 11:11 AM
Create Water, since it doesn't explicitly specify that you need to create liquid water, can make a fog greater than any other spell or a wall of snow that can provide decent protection 6 levels before wall of stone especially as a conjure-focused caster. Yay science!

My DM grudgingly agreed that create water could technically be used like that but split them into four different spells (ice, water, fog, snow) and made the fog 0.1% of what it mathematically should have been and requires all snow walls to have a much thicker base and may topple entirely if significant damage is taken.

Create Water
This spell generates wholesome, drinkable water, just like clean rain water. Water can be created in an area as small as will actually contain the liquid, or in an area three times as large—possibly creating a downpour or filling many small receptacles.
Erm, how do you drink fog ?
Actually it says just like clean rain water.
Otherwise this is a poor man's grease.
Also: Indoor Skiing:smallcool:

Karoht
2013-02-28, 11:52 AM
Aqueous Orb. 3rd level spell. Pathfinder.
Creates a ball of water that rolls around the battlefield at your command and picks up creatures.
Nothing says fun like playing Katamari Damacy with the badguys, dropping them into pits, running them into traps or dropping them in the middle of battlefield control spells (IE-Dump them off in the middle of a sleet storm) and then go pick up some more badguys.
As move actions.

Paragon Surge. 3rd level spell. Pathfinder.
Grab any feat you qualify for. If you are a spontaneous spellcaster, select the feat Extend Arcana which grants you extra spells known. A standard action to have any spell you need but don't already have on your list, right now.
Quickened Paragon Surge (with a Lesser Rod) is awesome.

Phelix-Mu
2013-02-28, 02:46 PM
oozepuppet is indeed the name of the spell. it's not in drow of the underdark ,though it is mentioned there. it's in spell compendium with an incredibly awesome picture (of drow controlling an ooze) which is probably why you thought DoTU. it's also in fiendish codex 1 which puts it on the ooze domain a level early.

the mechanic totally backed it up. fort save vs being under your complete control for 1 day/lvl move action for you for a full round from it, and it's still when you're not jerking it around, not uncontrolled. you can be any distance you like as long as you've got LOE to it too

Yay! I guess I was confusing it with some kind of gelatinous cube spell from DotU. Thanks for the correction. Oozes are a sadly neglected aspect of the game in many respects, as in earlier editions they were almost always a real pain in the you know what to kill. So happy this has a nice, scratch that, AWESOME effect.

Elderand
2013-02-28, 02:51 PM
I always liked the thematic behind decerebrate, it does exactly what it says on the tin.

Also

Kane0
2013-02-28, 05:40 PM
I was always a fan of detonate, its a death spell plus a better fireball all in neat package. Too bad its a 9th level spell or i would have metamagic'd this to death.

Coming in second is Eldritch blast, if that counts, and the miriad of ways it can be altered and used. The amount of homebrew I have done for the warlock only proves my love of it.

Third is a spell my DM introduced for us during a campaign, a spell he called "Entomb". It was essentially a create pit spell on a single creature that then filled in on them if they failed their reflex save, dealing crushing damage and threatening suffocation. A necromancer NPC/BBEG loved it to bits and it really helped set the tone of the campaign.

ArcturusV
2013-02-28, 05:53 PM
Entomb sounds fun. I always liked effects like that which trap someone. Thus the usual Stone to Mud, Mud to Stone combo. Also Tomb of Jade from OA, though it has the unfortunate "Shadowland Typed Creatures" only requirement.

Phelix-Mu
2013-02-28, 06:52 PM
A druid of mine a couple campaigns back researched some spells (READ: I imported them from the Dark Sun stuff) that had some very useful abilities. One basically made infertile soil in a decent-sized area fertile, and the other infused seedlings with magic that allows them to germinate in difficult climates.

As you can probably see, I am a big fan of out-of-combat utility. The druid spell list is super awesome for this kind of thing, and even if druids got a massive nerf to some of their other abilities (less animal companion, weaker wild shape), I'd still love the class for it's spell selection.

Ah...

Must be love. I've pretty much banned myself from playing druids for the near-future. Otherwise I would never stop.:smallredface:

Getsugaru
2013-02-28, 07:31 PM
NOTE: Here comes a big list of spells and/or powers I just love...

Displacer Form: Displacer Beasts are cool. :smallsmile:

Venomfire: has no cl cap, so when combined with master spellthief, it ends up one-shoting the BBEG. :smallwink:

Silent Image: Need I say it? :smallamused:

Cheat: It lets you cheat :smalltongue:

Glibness: Yes, I am a four-hundred foot tall purple platypus-bear. Also, there's a invisible pink unicorn behind you. :smallbiggrin:

Embrace & Shun the Dark Chaos: Any feat, any time, any where :smallsmile:

Feeblemind: Uhh... :smallamused:

Abyssal Rift: If they survive the Black Fire and the Divine energies, they get dragged to their doom (or, at least the Abyss...) :smallamused:

Beckoning Call: They do anything and everything they can to be near you...and nothing else. May even jump off a cliff if it's the safest of the fastest routes. :smalleek:

Investure spells, specifically Investure of the Erinyes, the Hellfire Engine, and the Pit Fiend; so very useful...

Kiss of the Vampire: Benefits outweigh the penalties...

Power Word: Pain: low level spell with high level damage. :smallamused:

Ice Lance: And now you're stuck to a tree...through your intestines...:smallbiggrin:

Force Ladder: Ladders...they're like crowbars...:smallwink:

Ice Claw: Master Hand under your control, only made of ice. :smalltongue:

Launch Bolt: Depending on the bolt, launch a nail or a tree. Even better when you have Eschew Materials. :smallbiggrin:

Mountain Stance: Yes, I can stop a charging Tarrasque with only my left pinky. :smallamused:

Sonorous Hum: Mentioned already by someone else, for the same reasons. :smallsmile:

Sphere of Ultimate Distruction: Sphere of Annihilation as a spell under your control...:smalleek:

Symphonic Nightmare: wow...just wow...

Vortex of Teeth: Part of an awesome spell combo of doom! :smalltongue:

Wall of Gears: Makes a wall that can protect itself.

(Invisible) Wall of Lava: And speaking of walls...add an invisible spell on it and it's just plain funny! "He ran down that hallway. After hi-" when they suddenly burst into flames. :smallbiggrin:
EDIT: Messed up the name. It's actually Wall of Magma.

Wraithstrike: (I like Spiked Chains for this) "Apply (your weapon) directly to enemy." Works exceptionally well with Titan Bloodline. :smallamused:

Venomous Tentacles: Evard's Black Tentacles with a twist (initial and secondary poison CON 1d6/1d6). Not a spell per say, but a Spell-Like Ability of the Yuan-Ti Holy Guardian that specifies itself as the equivalent of a 7th level spell. Probably be able to research this... :smallbiggrin:

Ability Rip: Useful for when you have a Sarrukh tied up. :smallwink:

...That's as far as I'll go for now. Probably post again after another think...

Karoht
2013-03-01, 11:15 AM
Force Punch. (Pathfinder)

Elemental Body into the form of an Earth Elemental for Earthglide.
Go under the bad guy.
Declare "FALCON--PUNCH!!!" And hit him with Force damage, plus send him up into the air.

Bonus points if your DM says either "Player, defeated" or "Game!" afterwards.

herculesftw
2013-03-25, 07:41 PM
take a dip in wyrm wizard to get the spell Tsunami, and make it invisible lol. Ah, what a nice day. . . next second you're drowning, and being pulled through your town that for some reason is floating around at high speed

I like using acid fog in conjunction with force cage and dimensional anchor.
Using see invisibility then casting invisible summon elemental monolith would be cool.

as noted above but with sphere of ultimate destruction

I forget what feat it was but it makes you make a pact with a ruler of the 9 hells. Second version of the feat gives you an ability to coincide with which ruler you picked. Pick the first ruler of the 9 hells, which allows you to use a spell like ability as an immediate action 1/day. Take some levels in arch-mage to get some high lvl spell like abilities. I think it would be fun to do any of the things you guys posted. I've used it a few times for when someone casts a reflex save type of spell and I put them in a force cage and let them blow themselves up. Also works great with master transforphagist or however you spell it. With immediate shapechange you can surprise a lot of people. Then the class allows you to immediate shapechange into a favorite form as an immediate action.

Callin
2013-03-25, 07:56 PM
So far Wrack has to be my all time Fav. Cast that after a round or two of debuffing saves (or just Con) and they are down to be Coup De Graced.

Tragak
2013-03-25, 08:41 PM
Personally, I think that Damnation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/spells/damnation.htm) has the most long-term, story-wide potential if the DM/Players make it work.

Lets say that a player's character is hit by this spell. The character spends almost an entire day believing that not only is he dead, but that the gods themselves sent him to a Lower Plane because he personally was evil, rather than knowing that he's still alive and that a dark mage sent him to a Hell because the mage was evil.

Even when he "wakes up" from the mind-control (which would mess him up badly enough, no matter how much time passes), let's say that, instead of going with the presented constant-battle scenario, the DM realizes that the fiends would be smart enough not to kill him and risk sending him to one of the Celestial Planes. Since the vast majority of Archfiends have at least 15 if not 25 of each INT/WIS, they should recognize that it would be more fun to torture the person half to death until they die of old age (when they are possibly corrupted enough to stay anyway).

And maybe the player is role-playing the character as believing that if he commits suicide, he would stay in the Hell anyway, just as a dead person getting the extra-special treatment and actually kept there by the gods themselves the way he thought he was originally.

Exactly how messed up would he be by the time his friends manage to find him and take him back? Lets say on a scale of 1 to Cenobite. And how much fun could a PC have role-playing somebody this thoroughly broken if he was in on the set-up from the beginning?

And how many plot hooks can be planted before they find him? Maybe he meets another living person who's been banished? Maybe an Archfiend is in contact with the BBEG and the PC finds out, either during his captivity or when his friends break him out? Does the fact that the mage could banish him in the first place show that he's far more powerful than the party thought, if they didn't know he was Epic before?

KillingAScarab
2013-03-25, 11:28 PM
If you include epic spells, the first time I got a peek at the Epic Level Handbook, it seemed like nothing could top nailed to the sky (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/spells/nailedToTheSky.htm).

"Sarda, have you seen Dragoon? (http://www.nuklearpower.com/2008/07/01/episode-1011-better-than-l2/)"

rexreg
2013-03-26, 11:55 AM
Power Word: Orgasm

All creatures w/ in 30 feet of the caster (including the caster) are Stunned for one round. As with other Power Word spells, there is no save.

:biggrin:

Grasharm
2013-03-26, 12:04 PM
It's not very imaginative but shapechange has always been the holy grail of spells for me.

Karoht
2013-03-26, 12:15 PM
Geyser is pretty cool.
Enemy takes fire damage from hot water jet.
Enemy flies up into the air and falls, taking fall damage as approppriate.
Radius centered on geyser takes fire damage from hot water every round. Hot water will also do things like reveal invisible creatures and the like.

Conjuration effect, so no SR on any of the above. Flying counters the fall damage though.

It's awesome for other party members to Bullrush badguys into, Aqueous Orb roll them into it, Force Punch them into it, use a readied action to use create pit as something is about to fall, etc. Lots of good combo factor, very useful.

Be a real jerk, combo it with Dazing Spell. And Acid Fog with Dazing Spell.
Yeah. Be that guy.

Venger
2013-03-26, 02:43 PM
one I just recently discovered in fiendish codex 2:

Bind to Hell.

cast it on a weapon and specify one enemy. if you're able to deal the killing blow to him with it, then his soul is whisked to stygia forever. No Sr, No Save. you've got a day/CL to hunt the bugger down, too.

you've got to go over there and bonk him with a weapon like a chump, so that makes this a lot more sportsmanlike and really evokes the feel of the game that the writers of D&D splats think we're playing most of the time.

Menzath
2013-03-26, 03:02 PM
I know it gets lol's but, Dark way. A bridge of force at really low levels comes in handy, and is great when you get higher level and just need to fill slots with utility stuff.

Another would be Otto's imperitive ambulation. you have to move this round. and every round afterwards. till the spell ends. whoops now the caster made it permanent.(DM's allows this cause it's to funny).

But the odd one I LOVE the most, Giant Size. I just wish something besides wu jen got it. I never can make myself play one.

Astral Avenger
2013-03-26, 03:17 PM
Wouldnt your party also have 20%/50% miss chance?
I think his party doesn't typically have true seeing/see invisibility, so the invisible fog cloud is invisible to them, so no miss chance for the party, but the other people with true seeing can see the cloud, so they get the miss chance.

gorfnab
2013-03-26, 03:35 PM
Regal Procession (Spell Compendium) - Yes it's basically Mount/CL. But it can be used as battlefield control because it's a wall of horses. Use to block passages or to clutter up the field. It can also be used to make a snazzy entrance since the horses come with full regalia. Also fun to combo with Invisible Spell metamagic.

kardar233
2013-03-26, 04:07 PM
one I just recently discovered in fiendish codex 2:

Bind to Hell.

cast it on a weapon and specify one enemy. if you're able to deal the killing blow to him with it, then his soul is whisked to stygia forever. No Sr, No Save. you've got a day/CL to hunt the bugger down, too.

you've got to go over there and bonk him with a weapon like a chump, so that makes this a lot more sportsmanlike and really evokes the feel of the game that the writers of D&D splats think we're playing most of the time.

I don't see that in the FCII spells section. Can you post a page number?

Karnith
2013-03-26, 04:29 PM
I don't have a page number handy (I'm AFB), but it's listed under the section on Stygia, the ice layer ruled by Levistus. The spell is used by his clerics to steal the souls of enemies of his cult and trap them on the layer.

Venger
2013-03-26, 05:42 PM
Regal Procession (Spell Compendium) - Yes it's basically Mount/CL. But it can be used as battlefield control because it's a wall of horses. Use to block passages or to clutter up the field. It can also be used to make a snazzy entrance since the horses come with full regalia. Also fun to combo with Invisible Spell metamagic.

certainly. for whatever reason, it's in an awkward place that's not with all the other spells. it's on page 58 at the bottom of the page.

wall of horses

It's a...

HORSE FIELD

Quorothorn
2013-03-26, 08:11 PM
I'm very fond of the wacky spells Druids get like Reincarnate and Awaken.

Also, Disintegrate. It's so...direct.

Iceberg.

Not for the power of a spell or anything like that (though it isn't exactly terrible, either). But because sometimes, when push comes to shove, you've got to just buck up and drop a giant Titanic bane improvised weapon on some poor sap's head. The imagery alone had me in stitches the first time I saw it.

Although there is something to be said for the coolest spell (barring perhaps Frostfell :smallbiggrin: ) I know.

Complete agreement with this. The mental image is simply amazing.

Page 58. It's a Cleric 5 spell (but only for Clerics of Levistus unless one house-rules it, of course). Also blocks resurrection effects as long as the soul is trapped in Stygia.

Mithril Leaf
2013-03-26, 08:22 PM
Touch of the Blackened Soul from Dragon Magic is pretty cool. Your body basically oozes corruption to the point that all your spells become evil. Plus, it's got some nice mechanical benefits to back it up if you mix in other stuff.

Dr.Epic
2013-03-26, 08:24 PM
Rust and Stone Shape

Name a day you don't pass a few dozen objects made from these and tell me they aren't useful to have!

Dimers
2013-03-26, 09:29 PM
Power Word: Orgasm

All creatures w/ in 30 feet of the caster (including the caster) are Stunned for one round. As with other Power Word spells, there is no save.

:biggrin:

I see your bodily function Power Word and raise you a Greater Command. "Defecate".

Regal Procession (Spell Compendium) - Yes it's basically Mount/CL. But it can be used as battlefield control because it's a wall of horses.

Or if you're flying, a bombardment of horses.

Deja Vu is really fun if you can pump the DC high enough. I also like Wages of Sin -- get a dozen or so bad guys focused on killing each other instead of you, like a tactical Mass Dominate Monster as a 6th-level spell. Perfect Summons and Steal Summoning are great for messing up an enemy conjurer. And then there's Snake's Swiftness -- the barbarian swings a greataxe, but you swing a barbarian.