PDA

View Full Version : Natural Attacks and Bounding Assault

Yogibear41
2013-02-26, 11:05 PM
Would Bounding assault allow a creature with only 1 natural attack, say a dire wolf, to make an additional strike with its bite attack?

If not are their any feats that would allow a creature such as this to use its only natural attack an additional time? Looking for a way to optimize a Werewolf Lord using only dire wolf form and therefore only the Bite attack.

Darrin
2013-02-27, 12:22 AM
Would Bounding assault allow a creature with only 1 natural attack, say a dire wolf, to make an additional strike with its bite attack?

Hmmm. That might work. Although there's a general rule that natural weapons can only attack once per turn, this may be a case of "specific trumps general". However, I'd run it by your DM first.

If not are their any feats that would allow a creature such as this to use its only natural attack an additional time? Looking for a way to optimize a Werewolf Lord using only dire wolf form and therefore only the Bite attack.

Rapidstrike from Draconomicon comes to mind, but getting it to work would be klunky... you'd need a pair of bite attacks as part of your normal full attack routine, and you'd have to switch your type to aberration, dragon, elemental, magical beast, or plant. Although there are ways to do this, it's probably not really worth the shenanigans.

While there are ways to add a bite attack, most DMs would probably rule that the second bite just overlaps the first bite, and you still only get one bite attack (with the damage of whichever one was better). If you dip Totemist 2, you can pick up the Threefold Mask of the Chimera soulmeld, which offers two bites and a gore as a full attack, or one extra bite as a secondary attack, but that would probably look like more of a chimera than a dire wolf.

Yogibear41
2013-02-27, 12:41 AM
I was thinking something along the lines of Bite get my free trip attempt from hitting with bite, trip them then using spring attack move away, next turn they have to stand up 1 move action, then move to me another move action, then they can't attack that round. Obviously this only works great against melee attackers. But I like the idea of the wolf running around tripping people up and then moving out of range to avoid counter attacks. Any feats/tactics that could help this sort of combat design would be much appreciated.