PDA

View Full Version : Pomp and Circumstance

Gildedragon
2013-02-27, 12:11 AM
I was wondering if there is a way to get a wizard to hover constantly? Not a lot necesarily, just some noticeable amount
This is something I've always wanted to have my spell-casters do, but have't seen a way to get doing it without constantly spending spell-slots in keeping it up.

Lapak
2013-02-27, 12:17 AM
I was wondering if there is a way to get a wizard to hover constantly? Not a lot necesarily, just some noticeable amount
This is something I've always wanted to have my spell-casters do, but have't seen a way to get doing it without constantly spending spell-slots in keeping it up.Well, there's always Overland Flight. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/overlandFlight.htm)

Failing that, you could burn a couple of feats and dip a psionic class and take a level of Elocater. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/elocater.htm)

W3bDragon
2013-02-27, 12:19 AM
Floating Disk (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/floatingDisk.htm) hovers at 3 feet above the ground, can move at your ground speed, and lasts for 1 hour per level, so you can just stand on it. You can use the invisible spell metamagic feat on it if its appearance bothers you.

TypoNinja
2013-02-27, 12:22 AM
No real reason you can't get the same magic on a set of boots for a person.

Horseshoes of a Zephyr

These four iron shoes are affixed like normal horseshoes. They allow a horse to travel without actually touching the ground. The horse must still run above (always around 4 inches above) a roughly horizontal surface. This means that nonsolid or unstable surfaces can be crossed, and that movement is possible without leaving tracks on any sort of ground. The horse moves at its normal base land speed. All four shoes must be worn by the same animal for the magic to be effective.

Faint transmutation; CL 3rd; Craft Wondrous Item, levitate; Price 6,000 gp; Weight 4 lb. (for four).

ArcturusV
2013-02-27, 12:23 AM
As silly as it may sound... Tenser's Floating Disk. Level 1 Wizard spell. Hovers 3 feet off the ground. Now it IMPLIES that the Disk will only follow your caster around at a speed up to his movement rate per round... but it also says you can direct the disk. Considering you're probably equipment light as a wizard the 100 lbs/caster level should comfortably be within your weight class by level 2 at latest. You can just stand on it and hover around everywhere as long as the spell is up.

Sadly it doesn't qualify for Permanency... but you could probably talk a DM into it as an exception since it's hardly game breaking. You can't float over chasms or anything since it has to be 3 feet from ground at all times.

Edit: Swordsage'd, damn my longer explanations.

TuggyNE
2013-02-27, 05:26 AM
If you're willing to do a good bit of refluffing, Elocater (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/elocater.htm).

limejuicepowder
2013-02-27, 07:13 AM
You could also hire a gargantuan spell caster to follow you around and hold you up with prestidigitation all day....that spell scales according to size, right?

Sith_Happens
2013-02-27, 08:14 AM
Phoenix Cloak (MIC). 50000 gp, fly speed equal to your land speed at perfect maneuverability.

Slipperychicken
2013-02-27, 08:18 AM
No real reason you can't get the same magic on a set of boots for a person.

Or UMD DC 25 to emulate race :smallbiggrin:

Ranting Fool
2013-02-27, 08:26 AM
1:Make some roller blades
2: permanency invisible item
3: ????
4: Profit (and look cool)

:smallbiggrin:

Darrin
2013-02-27, 11:05 AM
As silly as it may sound... Tenser's Floating Disk. Level 1 Wizard spell. Hovers 3 feet off the ground. Now it IMPLIES that the Disk will only follow your caster around at a speed up to his movement rate per round... but it also says you can direct the disk.

It's somewhat widely regarded that since greater floating disk in the Spell Compendium allows you to sit on the disk and ride it around, the not-so-greater version doesn't allow this at all.

There's no need to permanence it when you can buy/make a Talisman of the Disk (500 GP, Magic Item Compendium) for floating disk at will.

Gnomish Wanderer
2013-02-27, 04:35 PM
Alternative: Just do it. That is, speak with your GM about just having your character float around magically with no mechanical benefit. Aesthetic should be free.

Karnith
2013-02-27, 04:40 PM
The final issue of Dragon Magazine (#359) has a feat on page 125 called Footsteps of the Mage that sort of does what you're looking for; it has pre-reqs of Intelligence 13 and arcane caster level 12, and in exchange you glide across the ground rather than walking, which gives you a +2 bonus on Balance checks, and gives you a +4 bonus on Reflex saves made to avoid falling. Per the feat you still need to be in contact with the ground, however.