PDA

View Full Version : Melee build: Bloodstorm Blade advice please

ranger557
2013-02-27, 02:35 AM
Hi all, I have been wanting to try a Bloodstorm Blade build, but not sure how to approach it with my character concept. I am putting a little cheese on the build but not too much. I wanted to make a Mineral Warrior Water Orc Barb1/Ftr1/Warbld3/BsB4/WarbldXX. I didn't want to add the dragonborn because one it doesn't make sense for my characters background and the other is because I am not a big fan of dragons in general. So what do you all think that would help me out for this kind of build? I want to be able to attack in melee and range but there are no good big weapons with range attached to them. However, the Harpoon is nice to have as a ranged weapon but sadly you will get a -4 attack roll if you use it in melee. Also is the 4th ability of the BSB make the 1st level ability of returning obsolete because now you can now get your weapon back when it hits the enemy? Is there any tips you guys have that would help this build be strong? Thanks :)

Fyermind
2013-02-27, 04:51 AM
If you want a damaging thrown weapon for lower levels look no further than the orc shotput. Those things are a beauty.

ranger557
2013-02-27, 10:56 AM
If you want a damaging thrown weapon for lower levels look no further than the orc shotput. Those things are a beauty.

Ahhh right, I remember that weapon to be a good choice as well.....but its ranged and I will get a penalty in melee and its from 3.0. So not sure if my Dm will allow it. =/

Fouredged Sword
2013-02-27, 11:14 AM
I like wielding a spear. You should get your damage from power attack, strikes, and strength anyway, so charge and throw it to hit your target or use it to initiate strikes at 20ft. A +1 distance spear of seeking is great for avoiding miss chances. Get mage slayer and pierce magic protection and you are golden. Power attack that spear through the wizards face at 40 ft after a charge.

Snowbluff
2013-02-27, 01:06 PM
Well, you can throw melee weapons, so I suggest a Falchion with Imp Crit and Blood in the Water; Greatsword would do well if you aren't into crit fishing.

I ran a BSB with Craven, Staggering Critical, Staggering Strike, Improved Crit, and Telling Blow. Worked very well with Eternal Blade (for Time Stands Still) right up until I got eaten by Cerberus.

Shining Wrath
2013-02-27, 01:41 PM
The problem with BSB is that you need Iron Heart maneuvers to enable some things but it doesn't grant any maneuvers.

A 4 level dip is about right.

Since you get "throw anything" as a 1st level bonus, you need not choose your weapon for throwability. Do take the Far Shot feat, though, to give you a range increment of 20' with your melee weapon.

Person_Man
2013-02-27, 02:12 PM
The main benefit of Bloodstorm Blade is that you can use effects triggered by melee attacks (certain maneuvers, Power Attack, Knock-Down, Knockback, Scorpion's Grasp, Improved Grab, Stunning Fist, melee weapon magical enhancements, etc) at a range. So I suggest loading up on them. I'm particularly fond of using Knockback (free Bull Rush on each Power Attack) + Shock Trooper (directed Bull Rush and trip enemies when you knock them into each other) with Bloodstorm Blade.

If you want to be really crazy, you can mix in War Mind for Psychic Warrior powers and Sweeping Strike (effect an adjacent enemy with each melee attack).

ranger557
2013-02-27, 10:08 PM
Thanks all. I was definitely considering going a two handed weapon and working with that because I still get 10 ft. range and with far shot that is 20 ft. Also would bracers of extended range work with the range increment to 40 ft? Also I had a question about the 4th level ability that is Lightning Ricochet.....does this ability make the 1st level ability of returning obsolete because it automatically returns to your had from bouncing of the enemy?

ranger557
2013-03-01, 06:31 PM
Hey this is my build for the character I had in mind. I was thinking of using a two handed weapon because I think it would look cooler to throw and ranged weapons can't be used in melee too (even though they have better range :smallfrown:).

Level 8

Warbld1/Barb1/Ftr1/Warbld2/BsB3 (32 point buy)

Race & template(used LA buyoff): Mineral Warrior Water Orc

Str: 22(level4&8)
Dex: 14
Con: 18
Int: 10
Wis: 10
Cha: 8

Weapons: +1 Greataxe, maybe some javelins
Feats: Point blank shot, Far shot, Power Attack, Improved Bullrush, Shock Trooper, and Daylight Adaptation
Flaws: Shaky

Magic items I am thinking: Gauntlets for extended range (does this stack with the double increments of Far shot)

What do you guys think? thanks :smallsmile:

Artillery
2013-03-01, 07:20 PM
Hey this is my build for the character I had in mind. I was thinking of using a two handed weapon because I think it would look cooler to throw and ranged weapons can't be used in melee too (even though they have better range :smallfrown:).

Level 8

Warbld1/Barb1/Ftr1/Warbld2/BsB3 (32 point buy)

Race & template(used LA buyoff): Mineral Warrior Water Orc

Str: 22(level4&8)
Dex: 14
Con: 18
Int: 10
Wis: 10
Cha: 8

Weapons: +1 Greataxe, maybe some javelins
Feats: Point blank shot, Far shot, Power Attack, Improved Bullrush, Shock Trooper, and Daylight Adaptation
Flaws: Shaky

Magic items I am thinking: Gauntlets for extended range (does this stack with the double increments of Far shot)

What do you guys think? thanks :smallsmile:

Why not take Sundark glasses instead of the feat? They are only 10gp and get rid of being dazzled by light.

After Bloodstorm blade set it up to do Master Thrower. All your main weapons are now throwing weapons and it has nice things like evasion, increased crit multiplier, and at lvl 5 you get improved critical on any weapon with weapon focus (because all your weapons are throwing weapons).