PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Maug as PCs

Thurbane
2013-02-27, 03:47 AM
Hey all,

I know the RHD and LA make them sub-par as PCs, but I just want to check I have the stats correct for running a Maug as a PC:

Large Construct (Extraplanar)

2 Construct HD (2d10+30 hp, BAB +1, Fort +0, Ref +0, Will +0)
Racial skills: skill points equal to 5 × (8 + Int modifier) - Craft, Intimidate, Knowledge (architecture and engineering), Listen, Profession, Spot & Survival
+4 racial bonus on Craft (stonemasonry) and Knowledge (architecture and engineering) checks
Bonus Feat: Alertness
Proficient with two-bladed sword
Speed 40 feet (can't run)
+7 natural AC
Natural attack: slam (1d8)
Special attacks: pulverise
Special qualities: construct traits, grafts, rapid repair, SR class levels +14
Str +10, Con --, Dex +4, Int +2, Cha +2
LA +3

Does that all seem correct?

Cheers - T

Runestar
2013-02-27, 09:05 AM
I find that Maugs make decent melee fighter PCs, despite their low HP (construct bonus hp only goes so far to mitigate the lack of a con score). They do have some fairly potent and attractive physical stat boosts.

Your stats look about correct. Just bear in mind that they will end up having an ECL of +5 (2 racial HD, +3LA), and so would be suitable for play in a 5th lv party, not before, unless you have homebrewed a progression for it. :smallsmile:

Karnith
2013-02-27, 09:18 AM
As constructs, Maugs will only get skill points equal to 2 + Int modifier per level (x4 at first level), not the 8 + Int modifier that you have written.
Never mind, they have an ability for that. The stats you've given seem correct.

Miriad
2013-02-27, 09:20 AM
If you are looking into lowering the LA you can use "Incarnate Construct" and lower it to 2HD + 1 LA. You lose out on construct subtype but retain most of the important stuff (The huge stat boosts and the SR).

Also you have heavy armor proficency.

I am playing a Maug meleficer right now and even with the Huge LA I am still having lots of fun. Got myself a Horned Helm (Races of Faerun) and enchanted it with Spellblade: Desintegrate since my DM likes to put this on every freaking door there is.

Karnith
2013-02-27, 09:49 AM
If you are looking into lowering the LA you can use "Incarnate Construct" and lower it to 2HD + 1 LA. You lose out on construct subtype but retain most of the important stuff (The huge stat boosts and the SR).
Actually, you lose out on the spell resistance, too. The Incarnate Construct template makes you lose your natural attacks, all special attacks and special qualities (including spell resistance), and depending on how you read it also takes your feats away. Basically all you keep are the ability scores and the natural armor, plus you get some Giant type abilities (low-light vision, proficiency with simple and martial weapons, proficiency with light, medium, and heavy armor).