PDA

View Full Version : Good high level spells

LeeroyJenkins
2013-02-27, 12:16 PM
For an epic level 3.5 campaign my character, a monk/swordsage specializing in unarmed strike, is able to pick up a greater spell like ability where I can choose a spell of 9th level or lower with no XP costs from any list and cast it once a day. I already have time stop as a greater spell like ability from this happening a different time and I have 45 Wisdom from other special level ups. I was wondering what spells would people recommend for me to pick up. Our party consists of an archivist, ranger, sorcerer specializing with scorching rays, and a dragonfire adept. This is one of my first campaigns so I don't really know all that much about what different spells can do and whatnot. I was thinking something with a saving throw from the cleric list since my wisdom is so obscene. Our party mainly fights dragons so if there are any spells good against them that would be ideal.

Eldest
2013-02-27, 12:18 PM
Shapechange is great, for being pretty much anything you want it to be. Not directly offensive, but I'm sure you have that side down from the other stuff.

ahenobarbi
2013-02-27, 12:55 PM
Wish? It would allow you to replicate any 8th-level-or-lower arcane spell or 7th-level-or-lower divine spell.

Story
2013-02-27, 01:14 PM
Wish has XP costs, so it's out. Also, Wish can only replicate 6th level non Wizard spells.

Miracle is a great choice though. For me it'd be a tossup between Miracle and Shapechange.

Krobar
2013-02-27, 01:59 PM
A good spell if you're fighting dragons a lot, is Hide from Dragons. It lasts 10 minutes per caster level, and you can cast it on the entire party. You'll need other means against their henchmen and servants, though.

But you can walk right up to that ancient wyrm, and everybody gets a full round before he even knows you're there.

But I'd take Miracle, and then use Miracle to duplicate it.

As far as Wish only duplicating 6th level or lower spells, we houseruled that to 7th level, matching Miracle. Limited Wish can do 5th level spells, so Wish should be able to do 7th level, like Miracle. We assume 6th level is a typo, and they really meant 7th level. :smallsmile:

ahenobarbi
2013-02-27, 02:04 PM
Wish has XP costs, so it's out. Also, Wish can only replicate 6th level non Wizard spells.

Miracle is a great choice though. For me it'd be a tossup between Miracle and Shapechange.

You're right. I misunderstood OP that he could pick a spell with XP component and not pay it :smallredface:

Miracle then.

EDIT: Also Astral Projection (be nigh-unkillable), Mindrape, Prismatic Sphere.

Raimun
2013-02-27, 02:28 PM
Miracle is solid.

There's one Miracle-trick I recommend. Wu Jen-spell list has a 7th level spell "Giant Size". Normally it's a personal spell, so Monks can't benefit from it, because they can't cast it. This is not the case this time.

With high enough caster level, you can become Colossal size. That means your Str and Con increases a lot and your Monk unarmed damage (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Monk#Table:_Monk_Unarmed_Damage_by_Size)increa ses too. Not to mention your Reach.

Edit: Damn it. Now I want to be able to do a Colossal-sized roundhouse kick.