PDA

View Full Version : Ambush setting advices (3.5)

Henryj
2013-02-27, 12:23 PM
Hello guys!

As the title suggest, i'm creating an ambush situation, i already have a general idea, but still i'm not sure about some mechanics (Hide always bother me).

So, long story-short, an elite group of bandits has to kill the players.
Players characters:
Sorcerer, Cleric, Duskblade (tripper with reach weapon) all humans
Dwarf warrior and..
Well, another character wich can be a psion, or a thief probably (a new player coming)
I'm not sure if the warrior player will come, or another guy with a druid..
Yes, it's a little messed up the character question, but we have just started and i'm still not sure if everyone want to continue.

Oh, everyone is Lv5

The npc:
Wizard lv 5, Rogue lv 6 and.. i have to think at least another one^^

The idea was that the Wizard casts Fog Cloud, then the Rogue (wich has a Blindfold of true darkness, i know it cost a little bit for this level, but probably it will be the only magic item between all the npc) will use the blindsight and spring attack for a bite and hide strategy.

The question is: can it be done?
Movement, attack, movement and hide (using the total concealment of the fog)
Eventually an expeditious retreat spell was cast to the rogue before the battle, so he can use tumble to avoid AoO and still move as normal.
I thought about darkness but it seems that it does not help to hide since it gives only 20% concealment.

Can you help me with some way to divide the group using the wizard?
(Like divide the group, then cast the fog only to one part of the group wich will be facing the rogue)
I haven't found any wall spell suitable at his level.
Probably i will use it to summon some fiendish dire bat if i can't use him to divide the party uhm..
ah, the wizard will be on the top of a building, to protect himself from melee situations.

Eventually wich can be a good addiction to this npc party (remember that is an ambush/infiltrator squad), or funny tactics that can be used with this new npc?

Oh, we use almost every source possible, complete stuff, spell compendium, and everything else.. only magic item compendium would be a problem.

Last question:
For the retreat, Dimentional step with the expeditious retreat would be enough to teleport the rogue near the wizard and run for their lives (once the rogue has leaved the fog obviously), but if you have something faster or safer in mind would be very nice...

Thank you very much^^

Edit:
I adjusted the level of the rogue to meet the prereq. of spring attack.

Darrin
2013-02-27, 01:10 PM
Can you help me with some way to divide the group using the wizard?
(Like divide the group, then cast the fog only to one part of the group wich will be facing the rogue)
I haven't found any wall spell suitable at his level.

Wall of chains (Book of Vile Darkness) should do it. The PCs aren't strong enough to tear through the HP/hardness quickly, so that should give plenty of time for the rogue to do his business.

I would consider adding a Warlock, give him the Intensify Darkness feat (Drow of the Underdark), and then have the wizard cast ebon eyes on himself and the rogue. This lets him drop a 60' radius of deeper darkness as a full-round action, and removes the need for Blindfold of True Darkness (the assassins can see normally, the PCs are blinded by deeper darkness). Summon swarm could also be used to help divide or distract the party.

For the retreat, Dimentional step with the expeditious retreat would be enough to teleport the rogue near the wizard and run for their lives (once the rogue has leaved the fog obviously), but if you have something faster or safer in mind would be very nice...

Benign transposition would probably work well here. Keep a summoned creature handy so you can switch it with the rogue. Wizard might need line-of-effect to the rogue, though.

Panic Button of Escaping (750 GP, Complete Scoundrel) could be used for a quick consumable getaway, dimension door up to 30'. Potions of gaseous form can also be good getaway items.

Henryj
2013-02-27, 05:41 PM
Wall of chains (Book of Vile Darkness) should do it. The PCs aren't strong enough to tear through the HP/hardness quickly, so that should give plenty of time for the rogue to do his business.

This exactly what i was looking for, probably i'll put the fight under a bridge, wich will be closed by the wall dividing the group.

I would consider adding a Warlock, give him the Intensify Darkness feat (Drow of the Underdark), and then have the wizard cast ebon eyes on himself and the rogue. This lets him drop a 60' radius of deeper darkness as a full-round action, and removes the need for Blindfold of True Darkness (the assassins can see normally, the PCs are blinded by deeper darkness). Summon swarm could also be used to help divide or distract the party.

I thought about Ebon Eyes and if you are suggesting to use it with Darkness, it mean that i can actually use 20% concealment to hide (and became basically invisible), i wasn't sure about that, as i said.

In this case Darkness (or Deeper Darkness) would be more intresting, like hiding the item subjected to the spell in a box then release the darkness and the wall in the same round.

Benign transposition would probably work well here. Keep a summoned creature handy so you can switch it with the rogue. Wizard might need line-of-effect to the rogue, though.

Panic Button of Escaping (750 GP, Complete Scoundrel) could be used for a quick consumable getaway, dimension door up to 30'. Potions of gaseous form can also be good getaway items.

Benign Transposition it's pretty good, i will definitly use it.
Panic Button of Escaping? I have to thank you, because i never notice this item. I love it!
Ripping a button from the shirt, throwing it on the ground and vanish? very cinematic^^

Still not sure about other party members, the warlock would be a nice addition.. i'll decide tomorrow i guess..

Do you think that it would be a balanced fight with a warlock engaging the pc on the non-darkned side of the wall (just to slow them down, probably from a safe position, maybe giving him the Eldritch Spear)
Or maybe a Melee Warlock in the darkness helping the rogue (i'm not really sure, but that will be a difficult situation or very difficult depending on wich characters are on the battle side of the wall)

About the balancing issue, how do you manage it (with class level npc)?
I found that the cr is not sufficient, most of the time the composition of the enemy group decide how much they are difficult to beat, and the set up of the battle obviously...
Do you prefer to use common sense during the battle?
Or you simply go on with the best tactics and actions and if it becomes to hard you hope that the players run or die?

I'm asking because i always have problems to figure out a good challenge, most of the time is always to low, in few cases is the opposite, and it's too hard -.-