PDA

View Full Version : Is gurps easy?

ppedalini
2013-02-27, 12:27 PM
So i bought the books and from what i saw it seems that it is really easy to max out a skill and be a billionaire right from the start.So what i want to know is:does the easiness to max out a skill somehow ruins the experience or make the game easy?

jindra34
2013-02-27, 12:33 PM
So i bought the books and from what i saw it seems that it is really easy to max out a skill and be a billionaire right from the start.So what i want to know is:does the easiness to max out a skill somehow ruins the experience or make the game easy?

'Maxing' out a skill (putting it at 25+) gets costly and will narrow your character dramatically. Which with the diverse play field GURPS offers will hurt more than help. So not really.

ppedalini
2013-02-27, 12:37 PM
Thank you , so all gurps pcs are encouraged to be jacks of all trades?

jindra34
2013-02-27, 12:39 PM
Thank you , so all gurps pcs are encouraged to be jacks of all trades?

Its an actual balancing act. Making sure you can succeed (or at least not fail hard) everywhere while actually maintaining your area of expertise.

Ashtagon
2013-02-27, 12:41 PM
Bear in mind also that gurps comes with an entirely different paradigm for character building. GMs are actively encouraged to veto players' character builds, or even build them themselves according to the specs the player gives, and then negotiate any changes from that starting point. You can't just spend your 100 points on Wealth and be done with chargen.

ppedalini
2013-02-27, 12:58 PM
thanks,what about the combat compared to dnd is it "easier" or "harder"?

jindra34
2013-02-27, 01:15 PM
thanks,what about the combat compared to dnd is it "easier" or "harder"?
Its different. The rules and mechanics in general are easier. Eliminating foes from the battle is easier. Not dying is way fricking harder.

ppedalini
2013-02-27, 01:27 PM
Its different. The rules and mechanics in general are easier. Eliminating foes from the battle is easier. Not dying is way fricking harder.
i think i understand,you mean its easier to kill however its also easier to be killed?

Ashtagon
2013-02-27, 01:34 PM

I disagree here. A character who plays intelligently and uses equipment and terrain to his advantage will benefit much more than a character doing the same in D&D.

It's true that gurps has no big store of hp like high level D&D has. So played in hackslash mode you will be more likely to die to a bad roll. But it is so much easier to manipulate the odds in gurps that intelligently planned combats are generally easier than facewalk D&D encounters.

I guess where D&D rewards character building system mastery, gurps rewards tactics and tool use mastery.

neonchameleon
2013-02-27, 01:55 PM

That's one skill. Out of possibly a hundred. Who cares? Adventuring is an incredibly varied activity, and so rewards generalisation.

And in GURPS you want to take a crossbow bolt to the chest about as much as you would in real life. 2d6 impaling (more if your party tank reloads the crossbows between combat) is lethal enough to drop almost anyone and possibly kill. Guns are worse.

Gameinthebrain
2013-02-28, 10:10 AM
GURPS can be very easy (or learning any new system) if there is a baseline system to compare. What is your baseline system (the system you have mastered)?

Trick to making a gurps Character, if it will work in real life it will work in gurps. One of the advantages of simulationist systems is that it uses the real world as a reference and you can't go wrong. The systems requires you to err on the side of reason. In GURPS if there is data saying they got hiking heuristics wrong they changed it. So its a sciencey system.