PDA

View Full Version : Legend of Starlight: IC Thread

artofregicide
2013-02-27, 06:48 PM
*This thread is restricted to those who are playing in the Legend of Starlight Campaign, obviously*

Link to OOC Thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14792986#post14792986

Chapter One: To where nopony has tread before...

Six young ponies are brought before the court of Celestia, each accomplished in their own field, lauded by their fellowponies and each with a bright future. Several are brave warriors, but their skills go beyond merely defense of the kingdom. A great ceremony is held, and both the Princesses of the Kingdom attend. Luna seems to take particular interest in the special project, which these six chosen ponies will oversee.

Only a few months ago, the Starlight Valley was uncovered, the ruins of an ancient pony civilization, spoken of in myths but never before found. More importantly, starlight ore is abundant in the region. This material is very important to keeping Equstria safe through it's ability to shed bright light and ward the kingdom from evil forces, and all known mines have been depleted nearly a century ago.

After your names are announced: Sunchaser the Valiant, Raider the Swift, Compass Chaser the Tracker, Shadowreed the Trickster, Harvest Moon the Talented, and Eversparkle the Scholar. Everyone celebrates your nomination, and after nearly a day of revelries, you speak with Luna and Celestia, as well as the head Archeologist, the fabled Artemis Solan. A bit old, he still managed to take a small team into the valley and find the ruins on an expedition he funded himself.

They explain to you that you'll be securing the Valley so that a small outpost can be set up, eventually growing into a town. A vanguard, including you six, will be sent by train and then foot, to the valley. Artemis will be joining you as well, but the majority of his team will be staying behind to research the artifacts they brought back.

You'll be out of the realm of Equestria entirely, and the region is full of more primitive creatures, particularly Ursine tribes, and Artemis speaks of strange and wonderful creatures which inhabit the region, some of which are quite dangerous. Regardless, it will be quite a task.

Finally, after what seems an eternity of listening, you head out.

A train takes you from the central station, along with a squad of Equestrian Guard Ponies who aren't particularly talkative.

Regardless you have time to talk among yourselves on the train ride, get to know each other, since before you spent most of your time with friends and family, preparing to go away for some time.

Around you the countryside passes by, each pony anticipates what is to come.

artofregicide
2013-03-02, 01:57 AM
The conductor comes back, to inform you:

"It'll be at least ten hours till we get to the last station, but there'll be refreshments in an hour or two. Until then, enjoy the ride."

One of the guard ponies complains:

"Can we move any slower? I signed up for action, not a train ride."

Frosty
2013-03-02, 02:23 AM
A unicorn pony with billiant, light-blue skin sits fidgeting on the train. She alternates between looling out the windows at the passing scenary, and back into what appears to be a large, heavy tome that is...floating...and turning its own pages. "Take a memo, Homer. Today, as we leave Canterlot Central Station, we are about to be a part of...neigh...not just be a part of, but about to make HISTORY! I've always read a lot about history, but to be a part of something so important in the here and now is soooo exciting, and I can't wait to get there!"

The floating boak seems to be able to magically write in its own pages, and then, using some sort of magic (maybe prestidigitation), it wrote a brief message in the air (that disappears after a short while) saying, "But we're not even there yet."

The unicorn replies, "I know I know! Why aren't we there yet? Conductor, are we there yet, are we there yet?" She seems very...energetic.

Drawing of Eversparkle: http://lasolistia.com/mlp/Solistia_s.png

Link to OOC thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14792986#post14792986

Techmagss
2013-03-02, 03:33 AM
I sigh. "Eversparkle, we aren't there yet since we aren't there yet even though I wish we were there. Didn't you hear the conductor?10 hours to go. However, we'll be there, so it's all fine, calm down."

tallonRook
2013-03-02, 12:21 PM
Compass Chaser doesn't say much- he's never been a talkitive pony, especially around strangers. Mostly he just looks out the window a little, or looks to his beloved husky, Snowball. Snowball seems to be enjoying herself on the train ride, though she may get a little antsier a few more hours in...
Trying to be helpful, Compass Chaser pulls out one of his maps and shows it to Eversparkle. "See, we're right here right now..." he points to a point on his map- "And the Starlight Valley is here." He points beyond the map, a point on the table where the valley would hypothetically be, were the map a little longer.

King_of_GRiffins
2013-03-02, 12:41 PM
A dark blue unicorn sits in one of the corner seats of the cart. It takes a moment to recognize who he was from the ceremony; Shadowreed, though the black cloak he had worn at the time now sits folded next to him on top of what seems to be a pile of leaves saved from last fall. At the peak of the pile though is a black cat with a single white stripe down its back.

For a while, he was just looking out the window, apparently deep in thought after the ceremony. On hearing the slightest bit of conversation though, his horn glows and a bit of blue magic brings down an old looking black harmonica to his hooves, looking quite like the mark on his flank.

He taps his hoof for rhythm and for soft percussion, while he plays a blues scale to sing along to.
"Patience is a virtue,
for those who explore.
Legend is ours to pursue~

but there's 10 hours to go!
Just need something to do."

He follows up his little song with an energetic melody, ready to continue it indefinitely if needed, having found his entertainment for the ride. He comes back to his sing-along blues though to speak in song, looking right at Raider.

"Now Raider.
I heard you were swift.
Just what did you do,
to come on this trip?"

Techmagss
2013-03-02, 12:49 PM
I look at this singing pony. ""Well, erm. I really came along just to manage the weather. You might have already guessed since I'm one of the better weather ponies. I'm quite fast, yes. I have no idea how I was selected, I cannot remember." He looks around and mutters to himself. "Is everypony but me sent out a complete nutter..."

King_of_GRiffins
2013-03-02, 01:44 PM
Shadowleaf stops the music just long enough to let Raider finish speaking, before picking right up again.

"A weather pony is just fine,
but dear Eversparkle,
I take it you're more about the mind?"

Admiral Squish
2013-03-02, 05:20 PM
Sunchaser patrols up and down the train once or twice before settling into a seat, taking off his helmet. He's a large earth pony, with yellow fur over a powerful frame. He has a short, spiky mane and a bobbed tail, with hair that fades through several shades of blazing reds and oranges, like a sunset. He's wearing gold armor in a style much like the royal guard. His cutie mark looks like celestia's sun, half-set on the horizon. His weapon leans against the wall of the train, a massive hammer with a square, rectangular head. As the train rattles along the tracks, the hilt end ticks and taps where it rests.

He looks over the rest of the ponies in the vanguard and listens as they greet each other and complain about the length of the trip. He listens for a long while before he speaks up, his voice deep. "Complaining won't make the train go faster. We just need to try to enjoy ourselves on the way." He says, and gets to his hooves, stepping out into the isle. "We might as well get to know each other. My name's Sunchaser. I'm a guardsman."

artofregicide
2013-03-02, 05:40 PM
The conductor is currently not in the car. The soldier-ponies, are however, and some of them are a bit put off by the very boisterous and talkative nature of their fellow travelers.

The one who complained before boasts to the five civilian ponies (he seems to have significant respect for Sunchaser)

"You mares just remember to keep your dainty hoofs out of our way, while we professionals get the area secured. Don't want you to dirty your horseshoes..."

He is silenced by his sergeant, a strong and gruff pony that stands taller than all but Sunchaser.

"Keep in line, Guardpony. Celestia picked them for a reason, and you'll respect that."

The commander turns to Sunchaser

"Sir, we are honored to have you with us. I'm sorry about my ponies, they're pretty green and ready for action. Can't blame them for being restless..."

Techmagss
2013-03-02, 06:11 PM
"Probably already guessed who I am. I don't suppose one of you unicorn chaps has a chessboard?" I say, turning to Sunchaser, then the unicorns. "No? Dear. We'll have to make do."

King_of_GRiffins
2013-03-02, 07:02 PM
The blue unicorn puts down his harmonica, relaxing in his seat. "My name's Shadowreed. It's a pleasure, Sunchaser."

He looks back to Raider and starts to focus for a moment, Shadowreeds horn glowing blue as he fabricates what seems to be a cheesboard; it looks more like a cartoon image of a board than a real thing. "There's always a game board with me around. We can play a few games on the way.

Maybe we should also discuss what we'll be doing when we get to the valley first. I don't suppose we know the layout of the area?"

Casting Prestidignation "Prestidigitation can create small objects, but they look crude and artificial"

Techmagss
2013-03-02, 07:03 PM
"Grand. Pick a colour.""

King_of_GRiffins
2013-03-02, 07:24 PM
"I'll choose black." he says as he patiently waits for the first move, furrowing his brow as he begins to think.

"We'll have the guards here to help protect us while we set things up. Assuming there's no ancient structures lying about to live in, we probably want to lay a camp, and then start on seeing what we can do for more permanent shelters. I'd suggest a simple longhouse to support us first. I can have plans for one drawn up before we even get there, and if there's enough wood or solid stone, I could build it quickly as well."

OOC:

I"ll just make an intelligence roll to see how the game goes, if that sounds alright with Chris.

[roll0]

Techmagss
2013-03-02, 07:28 PM
"I'll choose black." he says as he patiently waits for the first move, furrowing his brow as he begins to think.

"We'll have the guards here to help protect us while we set things up. Assuming there's no ancient structures lying about to live in, we probably want to lay a camp, and then start on seeing what we can do for more permanent shelters. I'd suggest a simple longhouse to support us first. I can have plans for one drawn up before we even get there, and if there's enough wood or solid stone, I could build it quickly as well."

OOC:

I"ll just make an intelligence roll to see how the game goes, if that sounds alright with Chris.

[roll0]

OOC:

Okay, but may I make a bluff check to cheat at the game?

King_of_GRiffins
2013-03-02, 07:38 PM
OOC:

Okay, but may I make a bluff check to cheat at the game?

OOC:

You can, but it really depends on how. If you're trying to swipe away pieces, it's sleight of hand. If you're trying to convince him that you can -totally- castle after being in check, that'd be bluff.

Not sure what effect we'd want it to have though. I guess you could use it as an assist to yourself for +2, if you beat sense motive? Still depends on how you want to describe your cheating.

Techmagss
2013-03-02, 07:43 PM
OOC:

EDIT: Actually changed my mind. Bluff him into castle when in check and other underhanded moves. Rolling.
1d20+11

Techmagss
2013-03-02, 07:47 PM
Dice roll since the counter was being iffy:

[roll0]

King_of_GRiffins
2013-03-02, 07:52 PM
Dice roll since the counter was being iffy:

[roll0]

OOC:

[roll0]

And I suppose then if you win, it's +2 to your int check?

Techmagss
2013-03-02, 07:54 PM
OOC:

Mhm. Let's roll INT
[roll0]

"Ugh. Blue blazing chessboard keeps falling over..." I say.

Admiral Squish
2013-03-02, 09:28 PM
Sunchaser cracks a grin. "No need to apologize, Sergeant. I can sympathize. We're all eager to see what lies at the end of these tracks." He said, then turned to the guardpony who'd spoken up before. "If there's anything I've learned in the princess' service, it's that there are things that a pony can't do alone. It takes all kinds. One of these ponies may well save your life." He commented, then turned back to the other ponies selected.

With some passing interest he watched as the pegasus and unicorn played chess. He wasn't good at it, himself, but he knew the rules well enough. He once had a commander who'd been convinced it was the best game ever, and had taken it upon himself to teach Sunchaser how to play. He had been a decent player, but he'd never been able to think six steps ahead. He was too rooted in the moment. Sometimes when they crossed paths again he'd let the old commander kick his butt up and down the board while they caught up.

So, when the pegasus tried to tweak the rules, he paused for a moment, pondering.
Sense motive: [roll0]

King_of_GRiffins
2013-03-02, 09:54 PM
Shadowreed seems entirely unsuspecting of any of the 'corrections' given out, but despite such moves to checkmate in due time. He chuckles at Raider, twirling his hoof and making the chessboard twirl likewise in the air, remaining otherwise still. "Hard to make silly illusions fall over, but a fun game anyway. I'm willing to play anyone all the way to our stop."

Frosty
2013-03-02, 11:54 PM
Shadowleaf stops the music just long enough to let Raider finish speaking, before picking right up again.

"A weather pony is just fine,
but dear Eversparkle,
I take it you're more about the mind?"

The other blue unicorn was only semi-interested in the chess game, but the mention of maps did...spark...her interest. She replies to the inquiries of others about her talents and why she was picked for the mission. "Well, I, Eversparlkle, *am* very studied in all of our friends of nature,in our friends of nature augmented by magic, and in what we did to get along with friends of nature oh-so-very-long ago. In fact, while I wasn't on the original expedition, my research partly helped give Artemis Solan the idea that there was even an acient pony civilization there in the first place. Digging through these ruins is gonna be SO MUCH FUN! I'm so glad you all will be joining me on this expedition. The more the merrier!"

The unicorn adds, "Oh, and I can also give other people good luck or bad luck. Oh I know people say it's hogwash, but I really can! If you want to see, why don't two of play a game of simple dice? I can like, give one of a TOTALLY evil look, and you won't play as well, and I'll use my laughter to give the other one a good 'aura' which'll make most of the dice go your way!"

King_of_GRiffins
2013-03-03, 12:29 AM
"I think I'll trust you on that one. Exploring ancient things is always fun though." He says, a bit wary about being 'stared' at, but smiling at her enthusiasm. He stops everything and looks around for a moment.

"Didn't we have two more with us? Where do you think Artemis and Harvest Moon are?"

Frosty
2013-03-03, 12:43 AM
"Artemis who?" asks Everparkle. "Only Artemis I ever knew was a great huntress." She sticks out a tongue. "Just kidding. I'm sure he's around somewhere."

artofregicide
2013-03-03, 03:45 PM
The soldiers remain mostly silent for the rest of the trip, occasionally speaking amongst themselves.

The Sergeant briefly discusses general tactics with Sunchaser, in particular asking for his aid while the guard ponies secure the ruins. It is clear that the sergeant looks up to Sunchaser, even though the commander is both older and more experienced.

Artemis keeps to himself in a separate car, buried in scrolls and books full of ancient history and his research notes. It's not that the pony isn't sociable, he just is simply to focused on his work to talk.

The conductor finally comes back with an attendant pony, and bring you fresh limeade and sandwiches.

You are informed that it is only two hours until you reach the end of the line. From there, it should be about three days walk to the Valley, if all goes well.

tallonRook
2013-03-03, 11:27 PM
Compass Chaser doesn't spend much time talking to the other ponies during the trip. After a few words said to them, he goes back to his dog. As the trip wears on, the pony decides its time to meditate. Looking out the window, he thinks about what spell he'll prepare for the long journey ahead. After a few moments, he decides on one to increase speed. It takes about an hour just to get the spell in his head, but eventually he's finished with his meditation.
A little later, the pegasus is sipping on his limeade, half of the sandwich already eaten, the other half given to Snowball.

King_of_GRiffins
2013-03-04, 01:06 AM
Shadowreed talks politely and plays games on the illusory boards he creates. When conversation drops off he busies himself with creating toy buildings with the same power, visualizing different halls, storage houses, and watch posts that could be of use when they finally arrive. Between nibbling on lunch, imagining architectural constructs, and petting his cat, he settles in for next few hours to roll right on by if need be.

Frosty
2013-03-04, 01:09 AM
While not an expert of architecture or anything, Everpsparkle is a fan of legos (if legos existed in this world), and is happy to use her minor powers of prestidigitation to help illusion up the ideas that Shadowreed comes up with. "Oooh, that sounds good. Let's see what it'd look like next to the tower you suggested earlier."

Techmagss
2013-03-04, 11:23 AM
I stay silent, slightly humiliated, occasionally eating some of my meal.

King_of_GRiffins
2013-03-04, 11:42 AM
Shadowreed seems absolutely cheerful as he constructs miniatures with Eversparkle, simplifying his designs down into manageable, discrete chunks to clip together, almost like legos. He shifts a circular tower among the center of a few prearranged longhouses, stacking on a second level until it practically creates a miniature castle. "Hmm, more ambitious than I was thinking of at first, but it'd certainly be impressive!"

He slowly begins to eschew pure architectural concerns, having satisfied those, and begins developing more elaborate little palaces, defenses, and pretty little courtyards, illuminated by the light blue glow of the magic holding it together.

Admiral Squish
2013-03-04, 12:57 PM
Sunchaser nods as he speaks to the sergeant. "You can count on my help, sergeant. That's why I'm here, after all." He commented with a nod, just in time for the conductor to return, with food and drink, prompting sunchaser to excuse himself from the conversation in favor of delicious sandwiches. There would be plenty of time for specific plans later, while they walked.

Two hours left to go. This trip certainly dragged out. Still munching on his sandwich, he watches as the two ponies start playing around with the illusory blocks. That certainly seemed like fun. Unicorns got all the best toys. He headed back to his seat and looked out the window, watching the landscape that rushed past.

Techmagss
2013-03-04, 02:21 PM
I look at the unicorns playing around.
Why not add ponies to the castle? Could make it look more lifelike.

Emperor Ing
2013-03-04, 10:02 PM
Abruptly the scene is disturbed by a rather lanky grey-coated Unicorn Stallion with a scruffy dark turquoise mane and tail coming in from the adjacent train car. He has a magnifying glass juxtaposed over a scroll for a cutie mark. As far as most of you recall, this is Harvest Moon who, up into the last eight hours, was missing in non-action for whatever reason. On him appears to be a saddlebag filled with a many number of items.
Aha! There y'are! He then telekinetically lifts his saddlebag, placing it down on an unoccupied seat with a rattle of metal instruments rustling against metal.

Sorry ahm late. Ah wus held up jus' a bit ago. But where are mah manners? Ahm Harves' Moon. Please call me "Harvey." Pleased to meet y'all.

Frosty
2013-03-04, 10:12 PM
(Out of curiosity, we unicorns don't have Telekinesis or even Levitate at will, right? I mean, as cool as that'd be since Twilight Sparkle can apparently lift an Ursa, we're limited to Mage Hand at will right? I suppose a mage hand can *drag* a saddlebag on the ground depending on how much it weighs?)

artofregicide
2013-03-04, 10:18 PM
OOC:

(Out of curiosity, we unicorns don't have Telekinesis or even Levitate at will, right? I mean, as cool as that'd be since Twilight Sparkle can apparently lift an Ursa, we're limited to Mage Hand at will right? I suppose a mage hand can *drag* a saddlebag on the ground depending on how much it weighs?)

Please post this kind of thing on the OOC in the future.

All you get is mage hand, sorry. Telekinesis at will is... definitely a level adjustment

King_of_GRiffins
2013-03-05, 02:06 AM
Shadowreed ponders Raiders suggestion, creating on the balconies and among all of the buildings little doll-like ponies who glide about in their single, repeated pose along very wide, seemingly predetermined tracks. His brow furrows as he tries to keep track of some twelve unique, large buildings and about as many ponies riding about, a bit of sweat going down his cheeks until the sudden rattling of metal disrupts the simulation into a bunch of sparkling dust. :smalleek:

He takes a deep breath as he dismisses the remains of his glitter for the moment, pondering in his head "Perhaps I'll just build it by hand next time..." He looks up though, all smiles. "A pleasure, Harvey. I'm Shadowreed. We've all just been, well, playing around for the past few hours. You haven't missed much."

artofregicide
2013-03-05, 02:58 AM
Suddenly, a terrible screeching noise shatters the silence, as the train begins to rattle, shake, and then tilt to the side. The sound becomes thunderous, and the screeching becomes maddening.

The sergeant shouts:

"Everypony! Brace yourself!"

And then the train leaves the tracks entirely, falling on its side and dragging along the ground.

OOC:
Everyone make either an acrobatics check to keep your footing, or a climb check to hold onto something. The acrobatics check is harder to beat (as you're suddenly being tossed).

Techmagss
2013-03-05, 03:17 AM
I try to hold onto the seat.

[roll0]

Emperor Ing
2013-03-05, 04:14 AM
WAAH! Caught off-guard, the unicorn tries to look for anything to wrap his legs around.

Climb check
[roll0]

King_of_GRiffins
2013-03-05, 08:00 AM
Shadowreed tucks in and starts rolling to dispel his new momentum.

OOC:

Acrobatics
1d20+9

Frosty
2013-03-05, 09:30 AM
Eversparkle is caught off guard, and she is NOT an athlete by any stretch of the imagination.
Acrobatics check: [roll0]

tallonRook
2013-03-05, 10:32 AM
Compass Chaser is used to sudden shifts or movement in the wintery mountains he used to travel, so when the sergeant yells at him to prepare, he's ready.
[roll0] Acrobatics

Admiral Squish
2013-03-05, 11:32 AM
[roll0]
Sunchaser is caught off-guard by the sudden screeching lurch, struggling to keep his armored bulk from getting rattled around the train car.

artofregicide
2013-03-05, 01:58 PM
As the train departs from the rails, and comes to a crashing stop, various ponies are thrown asunder. Most of the guard ponies are able to grab on to their seats, but the boastful one is throw clear across the train. The sergeant attempts to help Harvest Moon stay in his seat.

Unfortunately, both ponies slip and are throw clear across the train.

Raider, being swift of hoof, is able to latch onto the seat and holds on for dear life.

Shadowreed is even more nimble, managing to tumble with the sudden movement and lands on his feet but is still quite shaken by the experience.

Eversparkle isn't so luck: she attempts the same but is throw when her footing gives way, and is tossed down the aisle.

Compasschaser is the least affected, moving gracefully with the sudden change of footing, and remains standing.

Finally, poor Sunchaser is thrown bodily from his seat down to the end of the aisle, slamming into the guard pony has he lands.

Everypony is badly bruised and shaken, but some are worse than others.

Damage:
Harvest Moon: [roll0] nonlethal damage, [roll1] damage

Raider: [roll2] nonlethal damage

Shadowreed: [roll3] nonlethal damage

Eversparkle: [roll4] nonlethal damage, [roll5] damage

Compasschaser: [roll6] nonlethal damage

Sunchaser: [roll7] nonlethal damage, [roll8] damage

Admiral Squish
2013-03-05, 02:34 PM
Sunchaser gets up with a groan, shaking off the ache from his injuries, armor clanking as he shifts. He rises to his hooves and looks over all the other ponies in the car, assessing injuries. "Is everypony alright?" He asks, clopping over to each pony in turn, examining their wounds. Seeing nothing particularly serious, he helps ponies to their feet. "What happened?" he asks, ignoring the trickle of blood running down his eyebrow.

Frosty
2013-03-05, 02:41 PM
Eversparkle gets up shakily, trying to clear cobwebs from her head. "Is anypony hurt badly? I can give some limited aid in that regard...after the train stops spinning in a circle."

tallonRook
2013-03-05, 03:27 PM
Flapping his wings, Compass Chaser flies around the compartment, looking out the windows to see what happened. "I- I wonder why that happened. Trains don't just suddenly go off the rails.."

And here's a perception check, to see if he can see anything relevant outside.
[roll0]

The pony ignores his bruises for the moment, knowing that others are much more badly injured than him.

Techmagss
2013-03-05, 03:36 PM
I have a smiling look on my face.
Obviously the train pixies have attacked and we're all doomed. Is everyone alright?

King_of_GRiffins
2013-03-05, 03:56 PM
Shadowreed lands on his feet, cat in arm, both he and his pet shaken up by the train and his own tumble, though at least less than if he hadn't. He takes a moment to look around, seeing everpony slowly getting back to their feet with various states of dizzyness and bruises. He grabs a golden domino mask shaped like the feathers of a griffin from the bundle that was in the seat next to him (now across the floor).

Mask donned, he takes a look through the same window as Compass Chaser for an answer, his cat peering over his shoulder. "It's bound to be either a very bad rail, or a very big -thing-. I'm hoping for one and not the other."

OOC:

Perception Check
[roll0]

Frosty
2013-03-05, 04:20 PM
Eversparkle is ready to give healing should anyone require it, although only once a day. "Oweeeeeeeee! That blew! They don't make train tracks like they used to..."

Emperor Ing
2013-03-05, 06:01 PM
Ugh... Harvey groans slowly getting up, almost immediately regretting having gotten up. Needless to say he knows he'll be feeling this in the morning. For now, he attempts to get back to his hooves, scanning what remains of the traincar in a state of being at least a little bit concussed.

Ahm...fine. Or at least ah will be.

artofregicide
2013-03-05, 06:39 PM
The guard ponies and their commander are quick to their feet, they do their best to assist you, but it seems that the shock of the crash was more significant than any actual wounds.

One of them speaks to Sunchaser:

"Everyone okay? Do you what happened, sir?"

The sergeant is the first to go outside the train, his eyes searching for potential problems.

"Looks like we got throw off the tracks. I wonder what the problem is..."

You're in a red-dirt wasteland, on top of a stone mesa. Despite the arid environment, the air is cold and the wind chill reduces the warmth of the evening sun.

The conductor is nowhere to be seen, and neither is Artemis. Neither were in your car. You do hear the train assistant cry out:

"Someone, please help! Quickly!"

Perception checks:
You notice that tracks seem to be badly damaged, not merely behind you (when you were crashing) but also ahead. The damage doesn't look natural: someone or something tore them up. Otherwise, you can't see any living thing in the area, save a few insects, should you look closely enough.

tallonRook
2013-03-05, 06:58 PM
Acting quickly, Compass Chaser flies into the car with the car with the train assistant in it. He pushes any doors he comes across. "Don't worry, somepony's coming!"
Snowball follows him, but she waits at the end of this car for her owner. If her help is needed, though, she'll come as well.

Admiral Squish
2013-03-05, 11:29 PM
Sunchaser shakes his head, wiping away the trickle of blood. "I have no idea what happened, unfortunately. But I suspect we're not going anywhere staying in this car. We should move out. Looks like we're gonna have to walk." He said, heading back to his chair, swiftly pulling his helmet back on and setting his hammer into the hooks mounted on the sides of his armor before clambering out of the toppled train car.

Hearing the cry, he bolts in the direction of the shout, hooves thundering on the red earth as he rushes toward the sound.

King_of_GRiffins
2013-03-05, 11:54 PM
Shadowreed chases after Compass Chaser, grabbing his toolbelt along the way and flinging it on with magic. "This is my kind of pony!", he thinks as he goes full sprint to help assistant. Opa the cat clings on to his back, as if experienced in sudden sprints while hanging on.

Emperor Ing
2013-03-05, 11:56 PM
Harvey follows the noise, he's not entirely sure why. But everyone else seems to be going that way ad he isn't entirely 100% in the head so there is no reason not to.

Frosty
2013-03-06, 12:01 AM
The blue unicorn looks around. "Mr. Artemis? Mr. Artemis? Oh no he could be very hurt!" At the sound of the assistant conductor crying for help, Eversparkle races over there, worried that Artemis is in trouble. Her spellbook floats along.

Techmagss
2013-03-06, 03:29 AM
I run after all of them.

artofregicide
2013-03-06, 10:32 PM
The ponies arrive to find the two train assistants trying to pry the conductor out from under a pile of heavy luggage, which has him pinned. The conductor pony is unconscious, and could be badly hurt.

The first assistant speaks:

"He's hurt! Someone help him!"

The second adds:

"Be careful! We don't want to make it any worse!"

OOC:
You can make a strength check to try to lift the luggage, or use heal checks/magic to help stabilize the conductor.

Further down the train, you hear another voice call out, terrified:

"The boiler is overheating! We've got to release it before it blows!"

You can hear grunting and the sound of metal clanging as the locomotive engineer tries to fix the problem.

Frosty
2013-03-06, 10:34 PM
edit: Putting the question in the OOC thread.

King_of_GRiffins
2013-03-06, 10:52 PM
Shadowreed furrows his brow in quick thought as he ponders how best to move the heavy boxes from atop the conductor, "Maybe I could slip him out of the pile..." he thinks briefly before another, slightly more pressing emergency dawns.

"See what you can do for the conductor and get clear when you can, Compass, I'll try to stop or buy time with that boiler!" He says, already galloping down the remaining length of train to find the engineer in trouble, already attempting to solve the problem in his head before he sees it. "I don't know how to fix it, but maybe I could break it in such a way it releases the steam harmlessly; It won't be going anywhere anyway if it explodes."

tallonRook
2013-03-06, 11:20 PM
Not being trained in disabling boilers and also not being that great at lifting things, Compass Chaser whistles for Snowball to come and give a hoof (well, paw.) Figuring it'd probably be bad for him to try and lift luggage but accidentally drop it, he simply guides his dog through the task. Snowball aids to the best of her ability.
[roll0] Strength Check (Snowball)

I'll upload Snowball's Stats to the OOC in a minute, but she's a pretty standard dog companion.

Emperor Ing
2013-03-06, 11:33 PM
Knowing at least a little bit about machines and mechanical bits, Harvey gallops back to the boiler to see if he can't release the pressure in a safe manner.

Knowledge (Engineering) check
[roll0]

Frosty
2013-03-07, 12:44 AM
Eversparkle touches her horn to the bit of the conductor's body that is exposed. "Hold on Mr. Conductor, this will make you feel better..." Her horn glows white, and soothing energy knits a bit of the conductor's wounds.

Healing Hex: [roll0]

Admiral Squish
2013-03-07, 01:02 AM
Sunchaser wastes no time helping the conductor. He steps up to the enormous pile, braces his shoulder, plants his hooves, and heaves with all his might, trying to shift the pile enough that they could pull the conductor free. "Grab a hoof and pull!" He tells the other ponies gathered around the luggage disaster.

Strength check [roll0]

artofregicide
2013-03-07, 01:54 AM
Shadowreed arrives as the train engineer and his assistant are trying to fix the boiler, which is red hot and surrounded by a cloud of sweltering steam. They look at pony, desperate for some help:

"We got five minutes, top, until the boiler goes! You can any ideas? I'm all out! The release valve is broken, and the boiler is pinned in place by the crash... besides, it's far too hot to touch!"

Harvest Moon's wealth of knowledge serves well, fact-wise. Instantly, the problem is apparent, but the solution isn't so much.

Knowledge Check:
The boiler is fueled by alchemical coal, the fire is probably still burning, and may spread to the coal supply, which is like spilled by the wreck. If that happens, the Boiler isn't going to be your only problem. In regards to the Boiler, there is a secondary emergency release valve on top of the train, which is only accessible by the roof. Also, if the water is still pouring in, pressure will be building very quickly. You may not have even five minutes.

Across the train, Compass Chaser and faithful hound start digging through the luggage, taking care not to bring a cascade down on them, but also not moving the heavy cases very quickly or efficiently.

Eversparkle's magic heals the conductor, and while he is still unconscious, the pony looks far more stable. He may have more extensive wounds, but the scholar can tell that her magic heals him to the point where he can be safely moved.

Flanked by two guard ponies, Sunchaser manages to pull the Conductor free. Unfortunately, this causes the tower of luggage to come crashing down.

Mechanics and OOC:
Compass Chaser, Sunchaser, and Eversparkle all make a reflex save or get hit by falling luggage. I'll assume that everyone else successfully jumps out of the way.

Emperor Ing
2013-03-07, 02:33 AM
As the effects of the concussion wear off, the wheels in Harvey's head start turning. Obviously the boiler needs to vent, it can't be moved, and it's too hot to touch. He's seen enough hot stoves on the farm to know the remarkably subtle difference in hue in cold vs hot iron to know the engineer is telling the truth. This model should have an emergency release valve on the top of the train car. The obvious solution would be to get either Raider or Compass to fly up to the valve and open it, however there's a high likelihood that that's too hot to touch too. But not for unicorn magic. "Yeah, I got one. This 'ere model should have an' emergency release valve on th' top o'this train. To get there though..."

"'ey Raider! Git over here, I need yer help RIGHT now!" He says with no shortage of alarm in his voice. Four minutes, by Harvey's own estimate, should be plenty of time to do what needs to be done, but he wants as much knee-room as possible to deal with the coals. And if this works he should have plenty of precious time.

King_of_GRiffins
2013-03-07, 08:25 AM
"The top you say? I'm on it." He dashes right out of the car and starts looking for a way up, and if there's no easy way up, he pulls out a rope and grappling hook from his belt to throw and help himself up.

Admiral Squish
2013-03-07, 10:08 AM
Sunchaser is relieved when the guard pull free the unconscious conductor pony, and relaxed for a brief moment before he heard the pile of luggage start to come tumbling down. He moves to leap away, but his heavy armor weighs him down. "Get Clear!" He shouts in warning.

Reflex: [roll0]

Frosty
2013-03-07, 10:44 AM
"Oh crud, YIKES!" Eversparkle tries to dive out of the way, hoping that she's more agile than how she acted when the train crashed. She wears no armor, but she spends her time studying, not leaping!

Reflex save: [roll0]

Techmagss
2013-03-07, 11:44 AM
As the effects of the concussion wear off, the wheels in Harvey's head start turning. Obviously the boiler needs to vent, it can't be moved, and it's too hot to touch. He's seen enough hot stoves on the farm to know the remarkably subtle difference in hue in cold vs hot iron to know the engineer is telling the truth. This model should have an emergency release valve on the top of the train car. The obvious solution would be to get either Raider or Compass to fly up to the valve and open it, however there's a high likelihood that that's too hot to touch too. But not for unicorn magic. "Yeah, I got one. This 'ere model should have an' emergency release valve on th' top o'this train. To get there though..."

"'ey Raider! Git over here, I need yer help RIGHT now!" He says with no shortage of alarm in his voice. Four minutes, by Harvey's own estimate, should be plenty of time to do what needs to be done, but he wants as much knee-room as possible to deal with the coals. And if this works he should have plenty of precious time.

I hover over. Yes? You wish for me to fly or something of the sort?

Emperor Ing
2013-03-07, 01:14 PM
"Fly me up to the too o' this 'ere traincar. Erhm...please."

tallonRook
2013-03-07, 01:28 PM
Compass Chaser tries his best to get out of the way of the avalanche of luggage.
[roll0]

Techmagss
2013-03-07, 01:50 PM
I try and lift the pony to said traincar.
Don't be surprised if I drop you, I'm a weather pony.

[roll0]

artofregicide
2013-03-07, 05:10 PM
As Harvey tries to work on the boiler, with the assistance of the Engineer, Shadowreed and Raider make their way to the top of the train (which is now on its side, thus the side of the train) and notice that the escape valve is wedge firmly against a boulder, surrounded by a cloud of burning steam. There is no release for the pressure on this end at the moment, meaning the boiler has nowhere to expand but within itself.

Luckily, it isn't very difficult to get out of the train car itself, with the help from Raider. Afterall, you only need to access the side, instead of the top.

Sunchaser, closest to the luggage, is hit on the head by a very heavy grain bin, which dazes him as well as hurts.

Compass Chaser and Eversparkle escape without harm: only the valiant Sunchaser was harmed.

Everyone cheers for Sunchaser, and one of the Guard Ponies helps him to his feet.

Damage
[roll0] Damage (Blunt)

[roll1] Nonlethal Damage

Frosty
2013-03-07, 05:18 PM
"Thank goodness we're all right. Now, what can we do what the train? That steam doesn't sound good!"

Emperor Ing
2013-03-07, 07:33 PM
"Okay uhh...you think you can help me move this? He looks to Raider, not really sure what else to do besides enlisting his help to move the boulder.

Frosty
2013-03-08, 12:40 AM
Eversparkle looks scared, but she breathes ind eeply and tries to think about this logically. "Umm...I...I have a way to make one of you smaller and one of you bigger. Would making you smaller help any of you get into someplace and shut off a valve or something? Or perhaps making you bigger can help you lift the boulder?"

The unicorn wracks her brain. "Also, if it's too dangerous to go in, I can summon up an invisible servant to do my bidding, but I'd need directions on exactly what to do, and I can't send it beyond about 30, 35 feet."

Admiral Squish
2013-03-08, 01:27 AM
Sunchaser is dazed for a moment under the blow of the heavy grain tub, falling forward. When the guard helps him to his hooves, he stumbles for a moment before snorting and shaking his head to clear it and stepping away from the guard pony to stand on his own. "Thank you, I'm alright now." He says, nodding gratefully at the guard.

His ears perk up at the sounds of the looming disaster at the steam engine. No time to rest. He galloped over, skidding to a halt next to the other ponies. "What can I do to help?" he asks.

Techmagss
2013-03-08, 10:59 AM
But of course.
I move in to help him

Strength check
[roll0]

King_of_GRiffins
2013-03-08, 01:15 PM
Shadowreed looks at the cloud of steam, brow furrowed. "If only I had learned to make a gust of wind, or summon some cold water..." He stops for a moment on that word before his brain ticks into action. He jumps back into the train, investigating the boiler for its water input.

He takes a quick look at the engineer, "Doesn't look we'll be able to release the steam, but maybe we can keep it from building up if we cut the water. Have you tried that already?"

artofregicide
2013-03-09, 01:29 AM
Time is running out... the pressure is building, and you can hear the metal creaking inside the boiler.

Worse yet, you smell a thick cloud of smoke coming from the coal-car.

Raider tries as he may, but the boulder doesn't budge. It's far too large for a pony such as he.

Inside the Boiler Car, the Engineer shakes his head:

"I've cut the flow, but there's enough water in the blow up two boilers! We need to release the steam somehow! But I don't reckon we have much time! Maybe it's best to get away from the train..."

The Engineer looks around, and realizes what the smoke is:

"The Coal is on fire! Somepony do something or the boiler isn't gonna be a problem!"

Further down the train, the Sergeant and guard ponies are evacuating the Conductor, assistants, and the few other passengers (who were mostly getting off at the last stop, but not coming to Starlight Valley)

There is no sign of Artemis still.

Frosty
2013-03-09, 03:27 AM
"Raider, here, try THIS on for size!" The blue unicorn concentrates for about 6 seconds, and then suddenly not only does Raider grow stronger (by 2), he is also twice as big now!

Techmagss
2013-03-09, 08:01 AM
I try to push the boulder again. Where is Compass chaser? He is a pegasus and therefore can bring a cloud in and out out the fire.

1d20+2

Techmagss
2013-03-09, 08:03 AM
Strength check
[roll0]

Admiral Squish
2013-03-09, 12:09 PM
Sunchaser rushes forward to lend his strength to the now enlarged Raiser, attempting to push the boulder out of the way of the release valve.

Aid another strength check: [roll0]

artofregicide
2013-03-09, 07:06 PM
With their efforts combined, Sunchaser and Raider manage to shift the boulder far enough to begin to release some of the steam, which explodes out with incredible force. Luckily, the steam sprays in the opposite direction as them, but begins to fog up the area, making it difficult to see and harder yet to breath. The boiler may still explode, but you've bought yourself precious time.

The Engineer runs into the Coal-Car, hoping to put out the fire before its too late. The smoke is getting thicker and thicker, and you can hear the crackle of flames as the spilled alchemical coal catches on fire.

Techmagss
2013-03-09, 07:40 PM
What is the weather? If cloudy, I fly up and grab a rain cloud and fly into the engie's room and start the rain up.

artofregicide
2013-03-09, 08:51 PM
Weather:
It's a nearly cloudless day, and the few clouds that exist are sparse and hard to take hold of. The sun is shining very bright, but the air is cold and there is very strong wind.

Admiral Squish
2013-03-09, 10:51 PM
Sunchaser, seeing the things he can help with taken care of, charges after the engineer toward the coal car. "Take care of the boiler! I'm gonna try to help with the coal fire!" He shouts through the spreading fog cloud.

Emperor Ing
2013-03-09, 11:29 PM
"Hang on." Harvey starts thinking again. "Try corralin' this fog into a raincloud or sumethin,' then pour it into the coals. Make sure there's plenty o' ventilation fer th' steam though, or we'll have two boilers."

King_of_GRiffins
2013-03-10, 12:12 AM
Shadowchaser tries to help the engineer with the coal fire, sending frigid blasts of ice from his horn to put out the fire, or at the least keep it from spreading to the un-ignited coal.

He calls out to the others, "Someone needs to go look for Artemis; he might be trapped under something in his cabin like the conductor was!"

OOC:
Trying to use Ray of Frost to cool the coal below ignition temperature and put it out. Here's hoping?

Frosty
2013-03-10, 12:40 AM
Eversparkle catches Sunchaser before he sprints too far into the fog, and blesses him with a bubble of air around him. "You have 4 minutes of air. Good luck!"

Techmagss
2013-03-10, 06:03 AM
Don't think that's a good idea. I'm still a bit of a rubbish flier. Allow the unicorns to do their bit. But... I suppose I could help.. How am I supposed to ventilate the room? Ill try my hand in this when you answer me.

tallonRook
2013-03-10, 10:02 AM
Compass Chaser hears Shadowchaser suggest that they try to find Artemis, and so he nods and attempts to look for the other pony. He really hoped he was safe...
I don't know if I need to roll a survival check for this, but in case. [roll0]

artofregicide
2013-03-10, 02:08 PM
The Boiler is partially relieved, but continues to creak and groan. The Engineer begins working to release the other valve, using a big metal wrench.

ShadowChaser's ray of frost temporarily cuts off the trail of fire from the coal storage bin, but it is too weak to completely put out the flames.

Sunchaser is protected from the fumes with is magic bubble of air. (Clever thinking on that one)

Compass Chaser runs to Artemis's room, only to find it a terrible mess of maps and scrolls and papers, strewn about, but no sign of the pony himself.

Emperor Ing
2013-03-10, 02:25 PM
"Ah dunno, fly around th' car, open latches an' break windows if ya have'ta. Ah can't move water...well, not enough anyways, t' make a difference." With that, Harvey gallops back to the boiler car, noticing it's still going to risk exploding. He remembers that the primary vent is broken. Initially doubting it would work, desperate times do call for desperate measures, and he tries using a spell that more than once saved his family bits on the farm with the tools and things that would break on a near-constant basis. It's not tested on machines, but it could, in theory, work.

Casting Jury-Rig on the malfunctioning vent so it can be opened.

Techmagss
2013-03-10, 02:34 PM
"Ah dunno, fly around th' car, open latches an' break windows if ya have'ta. Ah can't move water...well, not enough anyways, t' make a difference." With that, Harvey gallops back to the boiler car, noticing it's still going to risk exploding. He remembers that the primary vent is broken. Initially doubting it would work, desperate times do call for desperate measures, and he tries using a spell that more than once saved his family bits on the farm with the tools and things that would break on a near-constant basis. It's not tested on machines, but it could, in theory, work.

Casting Jury-Rig on the malfunctioning vent so it can be opened.

Roger that, moving.

I start to open latches into the room with the fog. Should there be no latches, begin breaking windows if needed.

King_of_GRiffins
2013-03-11, 01:02 AM
Shadowreed keeps zapping his ray across the coals, doing his best to keep up but sweating under the heat and pressure. "I.. I can't keep it back for long!"

Frosty
2013-03-11, 07:49 AM
"The engineer looks like he's doing something important. Umm...here!" Eversparkle goes p to him and offers some minor aid in the form of magical inspiration, allowing him to do whatever he is doing just a bit better.

Cast Guidance on the engineer.

Admiral Squish
2013-03-11, 01:00 PM
Sunchaser has no magic that can help him here, unlike most of the other ponies, but that doesn't stop him from helping. His lungs protected by the air bubble, he rushes forward, trying to stomp out fires beneath his heavy hooves, kicking unburned coal away from the burning coal, doing anything he can to keep the flames from spreading. "Somebody get some water! We're just buying time, we need to put this out before this whole train goes up!"

Techmagss
2013-03-11, 02:44 PM
I try to gather up the fog into a small raincloud.
Just making a check for Fly I think it is.
[roll0]

artofregicide
2013-03-11, 08:49 PM
Harvest Moon's magic is surprising effective: the primary vent opens itself enough to release a cascade of boiling steam, shrouding the entire room with moisture. A few moments later, the valve bursts open, releasing all the pressure is a significantly less destructive blast.

The Boiler is now safe, but also completely ruined.

At the same time, the Engineer is able to open the secondary valve, releasing what little steam is left. He quickly exists the area, avoiding any serious burns but is sweating heavily. He smiles, and then laughs, which turns into a cough.

"They weren't joking about you ponies being heroes! This could have be a lot worse, I'll tell you!"

The whole train car begins to vent steam as Raider opens dozens of windows and roof flaps, which begins to dissipate the steam. The place still feels like a sauna.

Between Shadowreed's ice beam and Sunchaser's well timed hooves, the burning coals are separated and extinguished without further incident. And just in time, the burning coals had nearly caught into the main coal storage bin.

Outside, Raider tries to wrangle together a rain cloud, but fails to pull the wisps together. Luckily, you currently have no need of one at the moment.

Both crises are averted. Everypony sighs in relief. Still no sign of Artemis. He seems to have disappeared. That combined with the fact that someone clearly sabotaged the rails is highly suspicious. The most worrying part is the strength or determination it would take to rip up all the railway that was destroyed.

The Sergeant, having evacuated the others, reports to Sunchaser:

"Sir, all the civilians are out of the train. Is the situation stabilized?"

Admiral Squish
2013-03-11, 10:07 PM
Sunchaser emerges from the coal car, coal dust on the feathering over his hooves, smoke darkening his normally gleaming armor, but looking triumphant nonetheless. As the sergeant approaches, he nods. "Seems like it. The fire's out in the coal car, and it looks like the boiler's no danger anymore." He explained.

He looks up and down the track for a moment and sighs. "But we're not done just yet. We've gotta get all these people where they're going, and safely. I think it's safe to assume that whatever did that to the tracks isn't done with us yet, so we need to keep on the lookout." He added, straightening up and looking over the milling crowd of frightened ponies, redoubling his resolve.

King_of_GRiffins
2013-03-11, 10:28 PM
With the fire out and the boiler relieved, he gives Sunchaser a pat on the back as he heads through the tipped over train, looking for Artemis' cart to begin looking for him. "I would have thought Artemis would end up like the engineer, but I'm wondering if whoever did this was after him."

OOC:

Perception check when I get to his cart, looking for signs of struggle or entry/exit after the crash
Perception: [roll0]

Frosty
2013-03-11, 10:51 PM
"Artemis...PROFESSOR ARTEMIS!" shouts Eversparkle, praying that the professor was merely thrown from the train somehow and could hear them. Unlikely, but one can hope. "If the professor i shurt somewhere nearby, we need to fan out and search. I can set out a search grid and seach patterns."

Admiral Squish
2013-03-12, 12:58 PM
Sunchaser nods. "I don't think we have time to do a proper grid search. We're losing daylight, and there's a lot of ground to cover..." He mutters, looking up at the rapidly-setting sun. Suddenly it occurs to him. He turns to the sergeant. "Sergeant, I don't want to step on your hooves, but can I trust that I have your help with managing this situation?" He asks. "The way I see it, we're not going to get far before night comes, and judging by the chill, it's gonna get a lot colder once the sun's gone down. I think we need to stay in the train overnight. That keeps everypony together and it's at least somewhat defensible. We can use the coal car to fuel fires in each car to keep everypony warm. They served lunch, So, I'm guessing they probably have at least enough food for the return trip. We can pass that out in the morning as breakfast and get on our way to the next station. Once we're there, we can send word back to canterlot, and they can send chariots to bring the conductor and the rest of the train staff back to canterlot. Then we pick up a little extra supplies, and just keep walking down the line to our destination." He explained, gesturing around the train and down the tracks as he explained his plan. "I think I can get these ponies to listen to the plan and keep calm. But I need you and the rest of the guards to help keep order and protect the train through the night. Can I count on you?"

tallonRook
2013-03-12, 11:46 PM
Compass Chaser looks around glumly, clearly not happy with this situation. He didn't think that this would be easy, but he had at least hoped that they wouldn't encounter too many problems until they were off the train. This was... just great. The pony thinks about Eversparkle's plan. "If you need any help with that, I don't think it's necessarily too late to start a search. I really won't be much use in here, after all." He had a few potions to prevent chill if it got to that point, but he didn't want to waste them if the other's plan worked.

Emperor Ing
2013-03-13, 01:26 AM
"Well, yer bein' a Pegasus means ya can cover ground quicker, so doin' a quick search from the air can't hurt." Harvey makes a quick, worried look to the wrecked train. "Ah like yer idea Sunchaser, but I think somepony should be keepin' watch in case whatever sabotaged th' tracks comes'ta check fer survivors. Return to the scene a' th' crime if ya will."

Admiral Squish
2013-03-13, 01:56 AM
"Well, yer bein' a Pegasus means ya can cover ground quicker, so doin' a quick search from the air can't hurt." Harvey makes a quick, worried look to the wrecked train. "Ah like yer idea Sunchaser, but I think somepony should be keepin' watch in case whatever sabotaged th' tracks comes'ta check fer survivors. Return to the scene a' th' crime if ya will."

Sunchaser nodded at the wisdom of the other pony's words. "That's definitely a risk, which is why we need the help of the guardponies. We can take shifts to help out, as well. Honestly, though, if whoever or whatever did this DOES come back, I'd rather fight here, where we can use the train to our advantage, rather than trying to guard a huddle of terrified ponies out on the open mesa." He explained. "Heck, if I can get these ponies to listen to me, we might even be able to get them to help with the search before we call it a night. That many sets of eyes could really help us out." He added, casting a glance over at the milling crowd.

Frosty
2013-03-14, 01:10 AM
"Well, I'm no good at actually finding tracks, but I can identify all sorts of animals and trees. Not that this'll help much but at least I know what's edible...if I can find it."

tallonRook
2013-03-14, 02:36 AM
"Yes, having more ponies would definitely be a lot more helpful. And though I hope this won't come to fighting, I'll go get my bow. There's an equal chance that whatever did that's just out there- maybe even waiting for us to come find it."
The pony thinks over what he's just said, then goes and gets his bow and arrows. Strapping the bow to his right front leg, and his quiver to his left front leg, he feels slightly more prepared.

artofregicide
2013-03-14, 06:17 PM
When addressed by Sunchaser, the sergeant merely nods and sends his men out to help deal with the stranded passengers. There are around a score (20) of them, not including the squad of guards and those still on the train such as the engineer.

Eversparkle calls out for Artemis, but there is no reply.

Again addressed by the pony paladin, the commander listens attentively. Hearing Sunchaser's plan, the Sergeant replies:

"You can count on me, and my ponies, sir!"

The guard ponies move out to follow these orders.

Otherwise, little else happens. The engineer continues to work on the engine, salvaging what he can, and those outside listen to the guard ponies, and get ready to make themselves comfortable for the night in the wreck.

The sun is just beginning to set: you have two hours before it falls.

An older looking pony approaches the Party as they talk, and warns them:

Night in the Mesa is cold. We're gonna need the warmth. Believe me, I was a mail pony long before the rails were out here...

He pulls a warm blanket woven over his back, and continues in an even more sombre and a somewhat suspicious tone:

"I know it sounds... crazy, but I've seen strange things out here in the Mesa. Maybe they were illusions, but maybe not. I'd be careful and keep to the Train, if I was you."

Knowledge Arcana: Eversparkle
Alchemical coal is created by infusing a powerful alchemical-fire like substance with regular coal, and then stabilizing the mixture with transmutation magic. This doubles the energy potential and increases the heat at which it burns, but the coal burns just as long. Lately, fire-evocation magic has been added to batches of coal, doubling the energy once again, but making the coal even more susceptible to fire.

King_of_GRiffins
2013-03-14, 08:40 PM
Shadowreed retreats to the group, just a bit disappointed at the empty results of his own search, starting to pull out his own bedroll and create his own spot to bed down later.

"Any trick needs an audience and a performer," he states to the elder pony. "If we get treated to a show, I'll be the one to find the pony behind the curtain."

He rests down on his pad, pulling out his Harmonica once more and settling down with a slow, deep tune. "Resting here for tonight is fine by me. If it helps, I can take a late watch, and relieve the guard ponies so they can get a little extra sleep. I'll be awake then at any rate."

OOC:

I'd like to try some knowledge checks about the area we're stopping in, if possible.

Knowledge: Arcana - What type of illusions or magical things occur in this area with regularity?
[roll0]

Knowledge: Geography - Out in the Mesa, where we are, are there any significant landmarks, caves, or areas otherwise where local creatures or people might rest?
[roll1]

Knowledge: History - Has anything magically strange happened historically in this area, outside of our objective valley?
[roll2]

Emperor Ing
2013-03-16, 02:26 AM
"Do that. 'scuse me fer a sec." He mentions, walking from the party towards the rails, specifically, the part that the train slid off from. He hopes to survey the damage, and hopefully see what manner of creature could have done this. And how.

Knowledge (Geo) regarding the surrounding terrain and info
[roll]1d20+10[roll] Rolled 27 in OOC (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14906051&postcount=71)
Knowledge (Engineering) on the tracks
[roll0]
Knowledge (Nature) regarding local wildlife
[roll1]

Perception checks to detect weird stuff
[roll2]

Frosty
2013-03-16, 02:38 AM
"Well, given what I know about the coal, we can *definitely* use them to keep warm...but can we keep the burn controlled?"

Techmagss
2013-03-16, 09:28 PM
I'm going to come in where the others are if you don't mind now.
Everything going well?

artofregicide
2013-03-17, 03:20 PM
As the Party discusses plans, the guard ponies and commander move out, corralling the passengers back into the safety of the train cars, and start preparing for the night. The Engineer begins setting up small controlled fireplaces for the alchemical coal.

It seems that the rest depends on you.

Knowledge Rolls: Shadowreed
Arcana: The Mesa isn't particularly well known for magic of any sort. There isn't much out here, honestly.

Geography: The Mesa is far north of Equastria, in an arid desert like area. The closest town is nearly fifty miles down the tracks, and your original destination. There is a small mining... village, where a few rough and tumble pony families live, but they are rumored to be bandits. That is only about ten miles away, and there isn't a road from here to there.

History: The Mesa has a bad history, of exiled ponies long ago sent out from the Crystal empire. They wandered for a long time, and eventually settled even farther north, eventually creating the town to which you were headed. There are rumors of "ghosts" of lonely ponies roaming these parts, but of course, those are just rumors...

Knowledge Rolls: Harvest Moon
Geography: The Mesa is far north of Equastria, in an arid desert like area. The closest town is nearly fifty miles down the tracks, and your original destination. There is a small mining... village, where a few rough and tumble pony families live, but they are rumored to be bandits. That is only about ten miles away, and there isn't a road from here to there. Despite being a desert, the Mesa is usually very cold, and there isn't much of worth out here. You are aware of an abandoned town only four miles away, on an unfinished line of tracks.

Engineering: The railroad tracks had recently been renovated as a joint effort by the Crystal Empire ponies and Equastrian engineers. Whoever or whatever ripped up the tracks did it intentionally, or at least was very lucky: because they way that they are angled helped derail the train in such a way that it would less destructive and lethal. This was intentional, and likely caused by some sort of... powerful blade or claw, which bent the tracks, cut the boards, and pried some of the stakes up, lifting the tracks into a ramp.

Nature: The Mesa is relatively unpopulated. There are some coyotes from time to time, and some small reptiles, insects, and some vultures. Otherwise, the place is pretty much lifeless.

Perception: You don't really see anything out of the ordinary at the moment, except of course for the wrecked train and ruined tracks.

Frosty
2013-03-18, 07:53 AM
Not knowing about the abandoned town nearby yet, Eversparkle helps calm and entertain the ponies gathered in the train with her illusions and prestidigitations. Panic is always bad in emergencies.

Admiral Squish
2013-03-19, 12:20 PM
With that chill warning still on his mind, Sunchaser helps organize the guard ponies, patrolling around the train with the sergeant, pointing out which places along the wreck need extra guards and which can spare some. He even volunteers to help with the first watch.

Emperor Ing
2013-03-19, 01:30 PM
Harvey comes back to the group. "Yep. Whoever did this did it ta' derail th' train. It ain't no accident. I reckon they got somethin' with big claws with 'em. But I gots th' feelin' they didn't want it to kill us."

"Now then, th' nearest town is...fifty miles down th' track. Ah think we should take inventory of th' food, water, an' supplies we got, and be ready for a loooong walk."

"However there be a minin' community ten miles from here, but they'z rumored ta' be the...ehh, inhospitable, ransomin' sort. Then there's an old abandoned town four miles away from here on some unfinished line o' tracks. Ah dun' think they'd have much in th' way a supplies, but ah do think if ya wanted some place ta' hide after ya...say...sabotage the rails an' ponynap someone named Artemis from th' wreck, that's where ya go ta' hide." The odd-accented unicorn tilts his head, looking particularly suspicious. "If ya catch my drift."

tallonRook
2013-03-19, 05:09 PM
Compass Chaser thinks over the available options for a moment, before making a decision. "If this town is dangerous, we shouldn't risk the lives of the ponies here by making them go there. But if we all go and investigate it, and are captured-" or worse, the pony thinks to himself- "there, the ones here will be severely weakened, defensively. So, I think a few of us should go out and investigate this town. I'm reasonably fast enough, and stealthy if needed, so I could go with this team."

Techmagss
2013-03-19, 05:45 PM
Quite. I'll head with you, Compass. I say, looking at him.

Emperor Ing
2013-03-19, 06:05 PM
"Ah'll prob'ly come too. Ahm not much of a fighter but I figure some of mah magic may be helpful."

Admiral Squish
2013-03-19, 06:33 PM
"Sergeant, you can take it from here." Sunchaser said, nodding to the older pony as he trotted over to the rest of the group. "If I can help our chances, I want to be there." He said, nodding firmly, his mind clearly made up.

Techmagss
2013-03-19, 07:05 PM
I advise we only have the Pegasi scouting. The entire group or most of the group can certainly look suspicious. Us Pegasi are light on our feet and wings and thusly we can escape if things go awry. I could, perhaps, move a cloud over to the town and inspect it from up there.I say, looking at the two ponies that have joined me and Compass.

Frosty
2013-03-19, 07:48 PM
"I think we should all go, but only the pegasi should go near. The rest of us should be a ways off, ready to come help if need be."

tallonRook
2013-03-20, 11:26 AM
"That sounds like a plan." More people would be better, and if they found anything dangerous at the village, they could just warn the non-pegasi before things got bad.
After a few moments of thought, he turned to Snowball. "You're going to have to stay here and watch the ponies in the train, okay girl? Make sure that nothing bad happens to them." The dog barks in agreement.

Techmagss
2013-03-20, 12:00 PM
Fair enough. Sunchaser, Compass, the rest, should we move out? If we are I advise we keep our weapons easy to reach as a last resort.

King_of_GRiffins
2013-03-20, 12:26 PM
"Everybody sure seems excited to explore a whole bunch of empty buildings. It's not all that far away, though we'll likely be coming back past dark." The dark pony begins slipping on pieces of his armor, throwing his black cape over his back, and donning his golden griffin mask. "Maybe some of our fliers might even spot which way poor Artemis disappeared to."

Frosty
2013-03-20, 12:48 PM
"Well, if nothing else, the abandoned buildings can serve as shelter if we must abandon the train for whatever reason tonight. Always good to have a backup. And yeah umm...I don't *have* any weapons to keep handy. I suppose my spellbook can try to slap someone if it came down to a fight, but..."

Admiral Squish
2013-03-20, 01:23 PM
Sunchaser nods. "I certainly hope it doesn't come to that, but I am prepared if it does." He replies. "I don't like the idea of crossing the mesa at night, but we need to check there soon. If Artemis was taken there, I suspect they won't stay there long before taking hm elsewhere."

artofregicide
2013-03-20, 08:55 PM
The six depart from the train wreck, just as the sun begins to set. Being ponies, the distance closes quickly, but night falls on the Mesa before the destination is reached. The air grows cold, and the wind stronger. The light of the partial moon is bright enough to illuminate the wasteland around you, but colors blend into greys and blacks.

Around you, there are howls of wolves, which seem to carry on the whispering breeze. From time to time, you think that you spot a lone wolf, luminous in the moonlight, but this could be merely tricks played by your mind.

Regardless, you arrive at the abandoned town with incident. It seems to be comprised of two large buildings: a general store and a hotel, along with eight smaller houses or farmsteds. All of which seem abandoned. The rail station is surrounded by old construction and stacks of railroad tracks, which were never used.

In the center of the town stands a pony, cloaked entirely in dark blue robes, face and body hidden.

Emperor Ing
2013-03-20, 09:42 PM
By now the banging of the head Harvey sustained is panning out to be a serious nuisance, as it's REALLY starting to throb. Hopefully there's some supplies that can be salvaged here, like aspirin. Harvey sees the pony, more than a little surprised that there actually turned out to be someone in this town. However the circumstances of his being seen are more than a little suspicious. He looks towards his companions, especially towards the Pegusi. "Fly up an' keep a watch. I don't like the looks o'this. Catch 'em if 'e starts runnin." He then stops, giving the pegusi chance to get into position.

King_of_GRiffins
2013-03-21, 12:07 AM
Shadowreed breaks off from the group, putting a distance between him and anyone who had brought a light. Nobody was supposed to be in the town, and a little caution in approach would perhaps be best. He skulks into the shadows of the night, cloaking himself in it, and approaches from a different angle than the party to get a closer look.

OOC:

Stealth Check
[roll0]

Perception Check
[roll1]

Techmagss
2013-03-21, 03:24 AM
Roger that, moving up.I whisper, looking for a hiding spot and should I find any move to it

Stealth check [roll0]

Admiral Squish
2013-03-21, 05:19 PM
Sunchaser hangs back, staying out of view of the stranger in the hood, but stays ready to come in should his aid be needed.

Frosty
2013-03-21, 11:35 PM
The blue unicorn also hangs back, although her spellbook companion seems to be nonchalantly floating. She's no good at skulking about, and to be honest she's a bit nervous at the whole situation. Mysterious stranger hidden by robes in an abandoned town usually means fishy business.

artofregicide
2013-03-22, 01:41 AM
The six ponies split up, spying on the strange cloaked figure, which at first pays them no heed. Then it turns, revealing its true nature: despite having the shape of a pony, the creature seems to have only outlines of features, composed of ethereal blue lines. Furthermore, at closer glance the cloak that it wears seems to be more of a thick fog than actual cloth.

Regardless, the not-pony turns and looks about, sniffing the air.

It fails to notice anything suspicious, and slowly begins to walk into the empty general store, its head hung low, body arched as though carry a great weight of sadness or despair. There seems to be the faint sound of crying coming from the pony-figure.

DM Rolls:
Perception check: [roll0]

Emperor Ing
2013-03-22, 03:25 AM
Harvey looks more than a little shaken after what he had just seen. Was that a ghost? Surely ghosts can't be real, right? He looks to the others, largely for confirmation (or denial) on what he just saw.
"Eehm...that wasn't a ghost, right?"

Admiral Squish
2013-03-22, 11:26 AM
Sunchaser looks similarly worried, but quickly steels himself. "I must admit, I was not expecting that. It could be a ghost, or some other-otherworldy being... But either way, it's the only creature we've found so far, and it may well have useful information. If it IS a ghost, then we have a responsibility to put the poor soul to rest for good." He says, pushing his chest forward. This was duty, this was what Celestia would want him to do.

Frosty
2013-03-22, 09:15 PM
"I umm...I have no idea how to put a soul to rest. If this place is haunted, it might not make a good resting spot for the rest of the passengers."

tallonRook
2013-03-22, 09:53 PM
"Or it could just be an illusion." replies Compass Chaser, squinting his eyes. "I'm not really one to believe in ghosts, if a more obvious reason can be found. I'm sure some wizard pony could have conjured up a believable illusion, with noises and everything."

Frosty
2013-03-22, 10:54 PM
"True. Shall we investigate then?"

King_of_GRiffins
2013-03-23, 05:36 PM
Shadowreed stays quiet, watching the strange figure walk away, rolling around in his mind if the pony was merely cloaked in some enchantment, or was really a ghost as they said. The others seem interested in following it, so he positions himself to take a guard of the area, hiding around corners and waiting to spot any other bizarre ponies in the area.

OOC:

Know:Arcana - What's the source of this misty effect; is it actually a ghost?
[roll0]

Stealth - Further hiding if necessary
[roll1]

Perception - Keeping an eye out
[roll2]

Techmagss
2013-03-23, 07:25 PM
This is a ghost town, chaps. We should find another town, as in right now.

Emperor Ing
2013-03-23, 07:28 PM
"Ah dunno. Makin' illusions like that is easy, but ah dunno why you'd jus' make an illusion for the sake o' makin' an illusion. Waste o' good mana of ya ask me.

I...reckon' we should at least check it out.

Frosty
2013-03-23, 08:22 PM
"Yes, let's check it out. Umm...maybe someone else should go first..." You all can see Eversparkle trying to be brave, but still shivering a bit.

Admiral Squish
2013-03-23, 09:13 PM
Sunchaser looked around at the other ponies, swallowing nervously. He thinks hard. Celestia would say that being brave means being afraid and doing what needs to be done anyway. He took a deep breath and held his head high, straightening up tall. "Somebody's got to check it out. If nobody else is going to, I'll go." He said, sounding braver than he felt, and stepped forward, walking slowly and deliberately forward toward the general store.

Techmagss
2013-03-24, 03:28 AM
Oh fine, old boy, I'll give you a bit of backup, shall I? I say, following Sunchaser

Emperor Ing
2013-03-24, 04:58 AM
"Well...ah guess it wouldn't be neighborly of me if ah didn't come too." The grey unicorn adds, joining Sunchaser with a bit more vigor. "Ah mean Mama Moonlight didn't raise no cowards."

artofregicide
2013-03-24, 02:52 PM
Sunchaser, Raider, and Harvest Moon follow the "ghost" into the General store, and find it lounging despondently on the counter, looking incredibly miserable. As they approach, the phantom notices them, and stares for a moment.

Then it becomes incredibly angry.

"Nopony wants to be MY friend! Go away, GO AWAY!"

With that, the ghastly pony rushes towards you furiously, leaps at Sunchaser. Before it lands, the spirit pony disappears into thin air, and all you can feel is wind rushing past you.

Shadowreed:
Knowledge Arcana: You know that this creature isn't a ghost. It is in fact an elemental, of loneliness. It has taken the form of a lonely pony, but it isn't one, nor ever was. The isolation and depression of some ponies, likely long ago, caused it to come into existence. Generally, loneliness elementals will move away from large crowds, by nature, but sometimes they get upset by the fact that others have friends and will retaliate. Regardless, the elemental by nature tries to instill loneliness and isolation in everyone it meets, and has several magical abilities, including ones which make you feel isolated, and the ability to turn invisible when it wants to, but not fight while invisible.

Stealth: Shadowreed stays very well hidden, darting between shadows and old barrels on the side of the road, nearly invisible by the nature of stealth.

Perception: You get a good luck around the town, but you don't see anypony else. Likely the elemental is... alone.

Harvest Moon:
Knowledge Arcana:You are pretty sure that the thing isn't a ghost: as far as you know, ghosts are rare if ever seen in Equastria. Mostly there are rumors, but nothing else. It could be an illusion, or something created by magic. Illusion wise, it could be someone using magic to disguise themselves as a ghost, or an entirely fake image.

King_of_GRiffins
2013-03-25, 07:42 AM
Shadowreed stays in his shadows, approaching a position closer to the store and hearing the light exclamations from within. His voice whispers across the wind to Sunchaser. "So it is a loneliness elemental. It almost makes too much sense for a place like this. It gets jealous of those with friends easily, but it will try to stay away from large groups; we could be safe if we brought everyone with us. If it goes invisible, know that it will have to appear again to harm you."

He puts his hoof to his chin, thinking, adding, "Though we could easily leave it alone, as it is, it might still be prudent to deal with it now, somehow..."

OOC:

Casting Message; hooray two-way whispering.

Frosty
2013-03-25, 07:52 AM
Eversparkle responds, "I will come then. It must be sad to *be* a Lonely Elemental..."

The unicorn rejoins the group, her fear lessening now that she knows it is not a ghost.

Admiral Squish
2013-03-26, 05:35 PM
Sunchaser looks this way and that, turning in a quick circle to see if he simply missed the strange spirit-pony. "Where did she go?" he asks, still looking around, until he hears Shadowreed say it can turn invisible. He shakes his head, still looking around. "I'll be honest, knowing it has to appear again before killing me is not that comforting! He whispers back through the spell.

He thought for a long moment. It was a lonliness elemental. It struck him what a sad existence that had to be. No friends, ever... He stopped his worried cantering, took a deep breath and called out. "Please come out! Nobody's going to hurt you! I just want to talk to you."

Techmagss
2013-03-26, 07:00 PM
Be very careful. We don't want to make this... Thing mad. I whisper to the teammates around me. Keep your weaponry in easy reach. You know, in case.

artofregicide
2013-03-27, 01:14 PM
Suddenly, the ghostly elemental reappears, standing on a balcony above you. There is malice in the creature's eyes, and it shouts down at you, voice belowing:

"Why did you come here? Making fun of me because I have no friends! Because I'm here all alone! I'll show you! I DON'T NEED FRIENDS!"

With that, it leaps off the balcony and charges, a rush of wind and shadow.

Initiative.
Everypony interested in combat should roll initiative. Anyone not involved can continue exploring as they wish, so long as they aren't involved in combat (Raider, Sunchaser, Eversparkle, and Shadowreed are currently in combat).

Roll Initiative on the OOC thread, please.

King_of_GRiffins
2013-03-27, 05:31 PM
Shadowreed recalls a few of the abilities of the elemental, and decides to disarm it from doing anything to them from out of anyponies reach. His voice echoes between the buildings as a dense fog rolls onto the street around Sunchaser.

OOC:

Casting Obscuring Mist from a scroll, and then returning to hiding given brand-new concealment. Will last 3 minutes. Targetting Sunchaser as the center, will be 20ft radius from where he's standing now.

" A creature 5 feet away has concealment (attacks have a 20% miss chance). Creatures farther away have total concealment (50% miss chance, and the attacker cannot use sight to locate the target)."

Stealth
[roll0]

Admiral Squish
2013-03-29, 03:09 PM
Sunchaser turns slowly in a circle, eyes searching through the mist, and he speaks up, his voice booming through the smoke. "We didn't come here to make fun of you, spirit! We didn't even know you would be here, honestly." He explained, before continuing. "We came here because one of our friends is missing. He's alone and lonely, just like you. And we came here to get him back. We want to include him again." He went on, trying to forge a connection between them and the elemental of loneliness. "But just because we weren't expecting to meet you doesn't mean we can't be your friends, too! We don't want to fight, and we certainly don't want to make fun of you. You don't have to be alone! You don't have to be lonely forever! If you just don't fight us, we can be friends." He implored the spirit.

Rollin' diplomacy: Dice don't fail me now!
Diplomacy: [roll0]

Frosty
2013-03-29, 11:44 PM
Eversparkle comes to the front, chiming in. "You don't *have* to be alone. You can come with us. Help you find friends. We won't let you be lonely here..."

Emperor Ing
2013-03-29, 11:51 PM
Emboldened by the other ponies' offers of friendship, the Unicorn steps up, adding his own to the chorus. "Nopony's here t' make fun of ya, we were jus' lookin' for our friend is all. Besides, nopony says ya have ta' be alone if you don' wanna. Ya can come with us if ya want, i'd be more than happy ta' meet yer acquain'ence.

Techmagss
2013-03-30, 01:18 PM
Yes, we should work together. After all, one should never have to be alone.

artofregicide
2013-03-30, 07:12 PM
The sheer sense of the Pony's comradely enrages the Spirit, but also drives it backwards. Not only is the Elemental's charge broken, but it also flees, unable to endure the bonds of friendship. It curses the Party in flight, words hollow in the face of its retreat.

"You think that your friends will always stand up for you? You'll all end up alone! ALONE!"

With that, the elemental is gone. It seems to have been warded by your friendship, and is unlikely to return any time soon.

Regardless, you now have the town to yourselves.

Techmagss
2013-03-30, 07:26 PM
So no stabbing today? Damn... I mutter. Is this place safe?

Admiral Squish
2013-03-31, 10:31 PM
Sunchaser keeps a wary eye after the elemental vanishes. After all, it was said the creature could turn invisible, and he didn't want to be caught off-guard.

Frosty
2013-04-01, 01:01 AM
"Well, it looks like even if those kinds of things show up, as long as the people care abut each other, they're safe! Let's check the rest of the buildings and make sure everything is fine and then see if the rest of the passengers want to come here instead."

Emperor Ing
2013-04-01, 01:56 AM
Harvey cringes at that thought. While he's not unfit, something about having to unnecessarily make multiple trips disturbs the unicorn. "...nah. It's gettin' perty dark, ah think we should be headin' back. But we could...look around an' see if we can't find any clues or supplies. Wouldn't wanna come back empty-hooved."

Admiral Squish
2013-04-01, 02:05 AM
Sunchaser agrees with the older pony. "We've already got everypony pretty much set up at the train, and I don't want to have a group that big moving around after night. Honestly, I don't like being here longer than we have to." He explained, looking over his shoulder. "I don't know if there are more things that settled in after everypony left the town. Let's not take any chances. Everyone split up into groups of two. Stick close to your partner and scream real loud if you get in any trouble. We'll search each building for any clues on where to find Artemis or what messed up the tracks." He said, gesturing from building to building as he spoke. "Who's coming with me?" He asked, looking over the other ponies assembled.

Techmagss
2013-04-01, 05:20 PM
Here's an idea: we search for this elemental and destroy it. Put it out of its misery if you will. Eversparkle, from what you saw, how strong was the elemental and how many ponies will we need to destroy it? By the way, I'll come with you, Sunchaser.

King_of_GRiffins
2013-04-01, 07:21 PM
A dark figure trots out of the mist; Shadowreed comes into view as the fog is dispelled and dissipates into the air. "I was expecting more of a showdown, honestly. But no, if we've gotten away free from this, we should just keep it that way. Pretty sure it didn't know anything anyway."

He looks about and motions to Eversparkle. "Why don't you come with me and we'll investigate the other buildings while they check out the general store?"

OOC:

Perception for investigating other buildings for traces of Artemis, other activity, shinies.
[roll0]

Frosty
2013-04-01, 07:24 PM
"I've never encountered such an elemental before. Let me consult Homer and see. And yes, I will search with you, Shadowreed." Eversparkle peruses through her floating spellbook quickly.

do I roll Knowledge Arcana to know more about this Elemental?

Emperor Ing
2013-04-01, 07:37 PM
"Ahm content to believe if we leave it alone it'll leave us alone. No need to go lookin' fer' trouble." He looks over at Compass Chaser "Ah guess that means yer' comin' with me. Ah guess no point in keepin' to tha dark now. Watch yer eyes." In a brief flash of white light, Harvey's horn begins to give off a soft white glow that illuminates everything in a large radius, knowing to shut his own eyes so they can adjust to the suddenly changing light.

Admiral Squish
2013-04-04, 02:07 PM
Sunchaser shakes his head. "There's no reason to pursue the elemental. It's been chased off and the chances are it won't follow us. Besides... I sort of pity it." He shrugged, then gestured with his head. "Come on, let's check out the hotel." He says, leading the way to the building.

artofregicide
2013-04-06, 03:36 PM
Looking quickly through her spellbook, Eversparkle is able to determine that the elemental is not going to be bothering you, and that the power of companionship really does ward you from it. It is a good idea not to wander off alone, however.

Also, the elemental is bound to this place and won't come searching for you, and probably won't remember you either.

Those that explore the general store find a few cans of rations, mostly red beets and stewed spinach. Not exactly appetizing. Apparently the place had been raided before, probably by bandits. You find two old lanterns, but no oil, and a 40ft spool of rope. There's plenty of wood (from chairs and debris) if you want firewood, and random odds and ends. (Anything else would require a search check, but you guys have been out rather late)

For those that try to explore the other buildings, they find that most of the town has been boarded up pretty securely. It'll take some real muscle to kick the doors down.

Regardless, you hear nothing from the Elemental, or any other threats. The place is properly abandoned.

Sunchaser and those who choose to join find that the Hotel is actually open, and very dark on the inside. Something about the place seems incredibly creepy, even more creepy than the general store with the ghost-like elemental. You can choose to go inside, but you'll want light, magical or mundane.

Frosty
2013-04-06, 08:15 PM
Eversparkle tries to remember more about the elemental. [roll0]

"I will come explore the Hotel with y'all if you want to go in. Let's make this this place is safe for the others in case they come here later."

The unicorn creates a ball of light on her horn.

Admiral Squish
2013-04-08, 11:22 AM
Sunchaser looks into the darkness and steels himself. "Seems like we'd better. You two keep close to me." He told the other ponies. Whether it was for their benefit or his, he wasn't sure. He pushed forward, and strode into the lobby of the hotel, looking this way and that.

artofregicide
2013-04-08, 02:32 PM
As the the ponies enter the lobby of the basement, the air grows suddenly chilled, and the darkness grows... darker, somehow. The magical light at the end of the unicorn's horn flickers, as though fighting to against extinguishment. The place is abandoned, but in perfect condition. The clock on the wall still ticks, and many open passageways lead back into the Hotel, gaping maws into the unknown.

Something about this place gives you the creeps. It seems that even the Lonely Elemental would probably avoid this place.

Regardless, you have the option of going on the old rickety elevator, upstairs behind the counter, down left or right hallways, or straight back behind the front desk.

tallonRook
2013-04-08, 04:12 PM
Argh, sorry for not posting in so long!
Compass Chaser flies in softly, looking around. Then he goes upstairs behind the counter, looking for anything that could be useful, or any records that would indicate that despite the looks of this town, ponies had been there recently. At the very least some sort of guest book or record would give him an idea of the number of rooms, so they could see if there would be enough to house all the ponies of the train.

Emperor Ing
2013-04-08, 05:13 PM
Harvey isn't entirely sure what's going on. One minute him and Compass were going to look at some other buildings the next the two of them are drawn to the hotel. The super-creepy hotel. Ahm...anypony else get th' feelin' somethin's gonna jump at us? Somehow he expects the light on his own horn to mysteriously go out.

Admiral Squish
2013-04-08, 05:17 PM
"Stay together." Sunchaser chastises compass chaser as he flies off on his own. "For now, let's just search the lobby. We'll head deeper into the hotel once we clear this room." He says, and heads to the front desk, looking through drawers and papers.

Search: [roll0]

King_of_GRiffins
2013-04-09, 08:53 AM
Shadowreed looked about the hotel lobby, taking note of which cobwebs not to step in to as he approached the lobby counter, looking for a guest book alongside Compass Chaser and Sunchasher. "If there's anything to be found in the rooms, it'd be in the last few that were booked, don't you think?" he says as he hops over the counter.

He stops a moment to wave a hoof dismissively at Harvey. "If there's something watching us, we've got a good chance of spotting it too. I doubt out lonely spirit from earlier would hang around if this place was all too populated."

Frosty
2013-04-09, 11:16 AM
"We shall search this lobby carefully, and we will AVOID the rickety elevator. That's just asking for it. We're too genre-savvy to go in."

artofregicide
2013-04-10, 01:27 PM
Compass chaser looks around, and finds a guestbook and set of keys behind the counter. He finds that there are plenty of rooms (almost 30) in the Hotel, and that all of them say that they are booked. However, you see no sign of anypony. Going upstairs, you find that the stairwell is blocked off by a metal gate.

The bad feelings Harvest Moon has only increase as they stay in the Hotel. Something about this place is just downright wrong, more wrong than the Elemental.

Sunchaser notices that Compass has found a set of keys, and the guest book. He also notices there are several posters of a strange pony, some magician pony, on the walls. The name reads "Mysteria, Lady of Secrets". Some sort of magic show? He also finds that all the lights in the room are missing their wicks...

Shadowreed finds that the last few rooms to be booked are down in the basement, the bottom floor of the hotel.

Eversparkle attempts to break the fourth wall, but it currently remains standing.

Every pony in the Party, whether superstitious or skeptic, feels a growing need to leave this place, probably leave the town too... get back to the train as fast as they can. But no pony can explain why...

Frosty
2013-04-11, 01:18 AM
Eversparkle also tries to break the mysterious feeling with fact-finding. "This feeling of dread...is it magical in nature I wonder?"

She concentrates, and her eyes glow blue as she examines the environs, trying to detect magical auras.

Start Detect Magic everywhere.

Emperor Ing
2013-04-11, 01:21 AM
Harvey's nerves are breaking down, glancing about the room panicked. Ooooor...maybe it's survival instinct an' we should get outta here like...right now before somethin' bad happens.

Techmagss
2013-04-12, 07:00 PM
Eversparkle, dear girl, could you perhaps- if there is one- help us find the source of this magic and destroy it?

King_of_GRiffins
2013-04-16, 07:18 AM
Shadowreed bounces nervously on his hooves for a few moments, unsure of what to make of this overwhelming feeling. He shakes out his mane and takes the keys from Sunchaser, approaching the gate of the stairwell. "No sense of being afraid of nothing. May as well press on, right? "

He looks for the lock to the metal gate and starts trying keys until they work. Curious, he also tried to look past them to the stairs themselves, to evaluate if they are still sturdy.

Profession architect, Nothing is going to collapse, is it?
1d20+3

Admiral Squish
2013-04-16, 10:24 AM
Sunchaser stops a hoof. "Everypony just calm down! Look, we're not gonna leave until we figure out what's so off about this place." He said firmly. He looked around at the posters of the magician pony. "Hey, somebody check the guestbook to see where this Mysteria pony was staying. I think we should probably start there." he says, moving up to the other ponies near the gate.

Emperor Ing
2013-04-16, 02:11 PM
Well...alright. Harvey says, firing a burst of white light from his horn which attaches to the wall just behind the guestbook, making it easier for anypony to read. Then he casts Detect Magic to see if he can't find any lingering magical auras.

Admiral Squish
2013-04-16, 02:32 PM
Sunchaser nods at the other pony. "Thanks!' he says, and heads to the guestbook, looking through it to find any mention of the magician or her entourage.

artofregicide
2013-04-16, 07:23 PM
Eversparkle's attempt to detect magical auras seems to somehow amplify the shadows in the place, and the chill grows stronger.

Eversparkle
You find a number of different auras, seeming to phase between very powerful and mere traces. They include strong necromancy, conjuration, and illusion.

Shadowreed works through the keyring until he finds the right one, and sticks it into the metal gate. The bars open with a loud click, and the door swings open, revealing the stairwell to the floors above.

Looking through the Guestbook, Sunchaser and Harvey find that Mysteria and her group are the last ones to book, and they've rented the basement of the hotel, as well as the largest suite.

It is then that a cold wind seems to blow through the lobby, from nowhere, carrying whispers, and the Unicorns' magic lights are extinguished, flooding the room with darkness...

All:
Everyone make a Will Save.

Emperor Ing
2013-04-16, 07:35 PM
Will save!
[roll0]

tallonRook
2013-04-16, 10:36 PM
Go will save, go!
[roll0]

Frosty
2013-04-16, 10:56 PM
Will save: [roll0]

King_of_GRiffins
2013-04-17, 08:35 AM
Will Save: [roll0]

artofregicide
2013-04-17, 03:44 PM
Sunchaser, despite feeling the strange tide of fear, is completely unaffected, the power of his courage untarnished. Shadowreed, too overcomes the fear, he by embracing the darkness and then releasing it.

The others are not so brave. A slow terror creeps into their hearts, shivers crawling down their spines. Those unable to muster the courage are given a terrible fright...

If you fail the DC 18 Will Save, you are shaken until I say so. (-2 on attacks, skills, ability checks, etc)

As well, the room is still flooded with darkness, and you can hear strange sounds echoing throughout the halls.

Since your light spells were... dispelled/negated, you either try to caste them again or try a more mundane light source.

Frosty
2013-04-17, 04:12 PM
Eversparkle is afraid...very afraid...and she desperately wants light! She tries her light again, so see if it can still work!

Emperor Ing
2013-04-17, 04:14 PM
Harvey doesn't want to be a coward, and he's trying with all his might not to bolt in the opposite direction and create as much distance between himself and this hotel as possible. But this lack of light is just wrong! He tries casting Dancing Lights to provide some illumination.

King_of_GRiffins
2013-04-18, 11:58 AM
Shadowreed is startled momentarily, sinking into the safety of the new darkness and evaluating the situation from there, before realizing there are no new threats taking advantage of the opportunity that was created. He reaches into his side pouch, pulling out a torch and lighting it quickly. "A magical wind that blows out magical flames, that's... fascinating, really." He says curiously, walking over to Eversparkle to hand off the torch. "It's not all that drafty, so these might work better for now."

Admiral Squish
2013-04-18, 12:35 PM
Sunchaser felt the cold grip of fear on him but fought it back, taking solace in celestia's teachings of bravery in spite of fear. "Everypony stick close to me! We're gonna find out what's causing this and we're gonna put a stop to it." He calls out to the others. "According to the book, we need to start looking in the basement, so that's where we're gonna go." He says, firmly.

artofregicide
2013-04-18, 01:11 PM
For the moment, your light spells return, and the torch stays lit, but the room seems even dimmer than before. The flickering is even more noticeable, the shadows growing longer.

Even Shadowreed's attempt to non-nonchalance and Sunchaser's disciplined bravery are not enough to hide the fact that this place is affecting them, even if they aren't terrified.

Again, you have five options to go deeper into the hotel:

The stairwell above, now unlocked.
The elevator, which is probably locked.
The door behind the counter, could be a closet or a stairwell or something else.
A door to the right of the lobby, hanging partial open.
A door the left of the lobby, closed but probably not locked.

Of course, you can also leave through the main entrance..

Frosty
2013-04-18, 01:18 PM
Eversparkle is now playing Zork suggests that they see all available options first. "Before we decide, let's look throught door to the right of the lobby and see what's on the side. Same thing for the door behind the counter."

tallonRook
2013-04-18, 10:40 PM
Compass Chaser thinks to himself that there's nothing to be afraid of, there's nothing to be afraid of! But there is! This room is dark and spooky and he doesn't know why he's afraid, and that's probably a good part of his fear.
"I-I don't know if we should bring the guests here. T-they might get as spooked as us, huh?"

Techmagss
2013-04-19, 03:22 AM
Sorry for my lateness. Rolling.
[roll0]

King_of_GRiffins
2013-04-29, 02:43 PM
Shadowreed puts the keyring into his sidepouch, before hopping over the counter to get to the closet-like door behind it. "Worth clearing out before moving ahead." He says, ready to do a quick search.

artofregicide
2013-05-02, 01:18 PM
The doors on either side of the lobby lead down dark hallways, with rows of doors on either side. Probably guest rooms.

However, the door behind the counter leads into a small office area, and then to a stairwell leading downward. This likely is the quickest route to the basement.

Emperor Ing
2013-05-02, 01:37 PM
Harvey glances down the door to the basement, then back to the other ponies, appearing more than a little alarmed. Hey, y'all aren't thinkin' o' goin' down are ya?

Admiral Squish
2013-05-07, 09:32 PM
Sunchaser heads into the small office, looking around briefly before peering down into the darkness of the basement. "Well, I am. You don't have to come with me, but do you really wanna stay up here alone?" He asked, sounding braver than he felt, and took the first step down the stairs.

Frosty
2013-05-07, 10:02 PM
"Yeah, let's go before my light gets blown out again." In fact, Eversparkle tries to summon a SECOND ball of light.

artofregicide
2013-05-08, 11:35 AM
The six ponies make their way down the steps into the basement, which seem to wind on and on. The air gets thicker, colder, and the darkness creeps further, but neither magical or mundane lights are put out, even if the flit and flicker.

Finally, you make your way to the bottom. The place is an expansive basement, mostly empty save some boxes, a table, and a large iron furnace at the back. On investigation, you notice that the table is covered in flyers for "Mysteria", whoever she may be, and the boxes seem to be full of props and costumes for a magical act.

But what takes your attention most is a small mirror, lying on the center of the table. Something about the object just bothers you... it seems to be the center of the strange fear around you.

OOC:
If you wish to approach the mirror, or pick it up, you must make a Will Save.

Admiral Squish
2013-05-08, 04:11 PM
Sunchaser looks around the large basement, his eyes drawn toward the strange mirror on the table in the middle of the basement. He steps closer and closer to the table, a hesitating journey, pausing in the trip to peer into the various boxes along his path. With no more boxes along the way he lingers in place for moment, mustering his courage to push forward and approach the table.

Frosty
2013-05-09, 11:37 PM
"Damn it why am I so scared? Mysteria...HAH! Magic is like my THING! There is nothing to be scared of...nothing at all..."

She tries to approach the mirror to check it out. Does she manage to overcome her fear?

Will save 14

King_of_GRiffins
2013-05-13, 04:23 PM
Shadowreed spies the mirror, but lets the others descend on it first, ready to take a look at it later. He instead shifts over to the boxes around the room, looking for anything useful inside of them.

OOC:

Perception check to search boxes
[roll0]

artofregicide
2013-05-15, 05:11 PM
The boxes seem to be full of magical supplies, cards and masks and fancy clothing. All of it seems pretty old and dusty. Anything related to magical performance should be easily accessed. You also find more flyers. Some of them are addressed to different cities, including Canterlot and beyond the far reaches of the Equestrian Kingdom.

Regardless, the strange mirror is the focus of your attention, and your dread. You seem to see the reflection of... somepony in it, but not yourself. But that could just be your mind playing tricks.

Emperor Ing
2013-05-15, 06:20 PM
The grey unicorn hangs back, the sense of dread overwhelming his senses, paralyzing him. Really he expects something is overwhelmingly WRONG witht hat mirror. Hey. Ya reckon that...mirror, that it's like a portal to anotha world or somethin'?

Frosty
2013-05-20, 01:41 AM
Unfortunately, Eversparkle cannot even approach. She is so scared of the mirror that she can't come closer to study it more.

"I...I don't know, but I don't like it. S...smash it! It's not safe! It's not safe for anypony!"

Admiral Squish
2013-05-20, 09:21 PM
Sunchaser swallows nervously as he reaches a hoof out toward the unnaturally frightening mirror. He powers through his fear and lifts the mirror up, to look into the reflection that isn't his own. He clears his throat. "Who are you?" He asks in a strong, commanding tone.

artofregicide
2013-05-20, 09:41 PM
The second that Sunchaser picks up the mirror, a sudden playful laughter bursts out throughout the entire hotel, echoing. It seems like a mean, but not evil laughter, like someone just played a trick on you or made a joke at your expense.

Regardless, the reflection of the strange pony, who seems to be wearing a mask suddenly disappears, and the hotel suddenly becomes a lot less creepy. The lights stop flickering, the darkness... retracts, and the mirror... is just a mirror, showing the brave pony's reflection.

Was it all a trick? You don't know. Regardless, the Hotel seems to be fine now. Except for being deserted.

Emperor Ing
2013-05-20, 10:03 PM
Suddenly the whole thing seem to just...vanish. As though a great veil was suddenly lifted from the building. ...ahhh... If anything, this is even more unusual to the farmpony. Ehhh...can somepony please tell me what the hay jus' happened?

Frosty
2013-05-21, 01:09 AM
"I...umm...*ahem*" The unicorn tries to get her bearings. "Well, my informed background tell me that...ehh...nope, I got nothing. Sorry."

King_of_GRiffins
2013-05-21, 03:13 PM
Shadowreed raises his brow curiously, not quite adding things up. "What exactly did you see there?" He says, hovering one of the flyers around, "Maybe something from one of these?"

He takes a peek in the mirror himself, seeing now only his own reflection. "At the very least, whatever was here is gone for now... Perhaps a quick, but thorough search for supplies is in order, before we wander back to camp?"