PDA

View Full Version : Ways to get horns in dnd?

123456789blaaa
2013-02-27, 07:12 PM
I'm attempting to create a build using 10 levels of the Thrall of Baphomet PRC (Dragon 341). It grants either a Bite or a Gore(if you have one, it grants you the other). If you have both, both go up a size category in damage. Obviously I want the last option.

Unfortunately it seems getting horns is much tougher than getting other types of natural attacks in dnd. So far I've got:

Taking a level of warshaper ( this leads to infinite natural weapons cheese. Yes I could just create the horns but that feels like artifically holding myself back. I'll take it as a last resort but I'd like to avoid it if possible)

Taking levels of the Thrall of Eltab PRC (not applicable to my character since you can't be the Thrall of two demons at once)

Taking levels in Geomancer (requires spells and level investment)

Being a Gorebrute shifter (sucks)

This is not for an RL game so I'm assuming no houserules (besides obvious ones like monks being proficient in unarmed strikes).

Does anyone know of any more ways? Preferably ones that would mesh with a Thrall of Baphomet build?

Spuddles
2013-02-27, 07:14 PM
Half-Minotaur would be oh so fitting.

123456789blaaa
2013-02-27, 07:16 PM
Half-Minotaur would be oh so fitting.

Holy crap how did I forget that :smallredface:. Dragon 313 right?

Spuddles
2013-02-27, 07:26 PM
Yep! Crystalkeep template index is accurate in this case (but not voidmind).

Darrin
2013-02-27, 08:45 PM
Totemist 2 + Threefold Mask of the Chimera = two bites and a gore attack.

Minotaur from Dragonlance Campaign Setting starts with a gore attack (LA +0). You can add a bite via the Hunger domain, Fanged Mask, etc.

Fyermind
2013-02-27, 08:54 PM
Gore can also come from one level of horned harbinger a necromancy PRC that doesn't actually advance spellcasting, but can make dread necromancer jealous of the size of your undead horde.

BHarkonnen
2013-02-27, 08:58 PM
You can take the bind vestige and practiced feats and get horns from binding Amon. Not sure how you would go about getting a bite though.

Qc Storm
2013-02-27, 08:59 PM
Horned Helmet gives you a Gore attack for 8k gold.

It's more like reindeer horns though.

Spuddles
2013-02-27, 09:06 PM
Armor of the Rhino gives you a gore, but it's not cheap.

animewatcha
2013-02-27, 09:10 PM
Don't mind me. I'm the Half-Minotaur Longtooth shifter with a bite that ( with a feat ) causes con damage.

QuickLyRaiNbow
2013-02-27, 09:19 PM
Let's see.

Bite attack for lowish investment:

Deformity: Teeth from HoH
Jaws of Death, RoE, Warforged only
Fanged Mask, MIC
Ankheg Breastplate, Threefold Mask of the Chimera, Phase Cloak, Winter Mask, Brass Mane or Behir Gorget with a 2-level Totemist dip
Dragon Disciple 2
Wildrunner 2

Gore attack for lowish investment

Krynn Minotaur
Horned Helm, MIC
Unicorn Horn, Totemist 2

Psyren
2013-02-27, 10:13 PM
You can take the bind vestige and practiced feats and get horns from binding Amon. Not sure how you would go about getting a bite though.

Was just coming here to suggest this. Lasts 24 hours and non-dispellable too.

Blueiji
2013-02-27, 10:34 PM
A bite attack can be gained by using the Planar Touchstone that gives access to a domain power and choosing the hunger domain. Considering that your character will already be consorting with denizens of the lower planes, the Planar Touchstone feat makes considerable sense.

You probably already have a way to gain a bite attack but this method hadn't been mentioned and it's one of the most efficient ways possible, so I thought I would put it out there.

Gildedragon
2013-02-27, 11:57 PM
Tooth of Dhalver Nar: Amon

123456789blaaa
2013-02-28, 11:39 AM
Thank you everyone :smallbiggrin:. Before I had too little options, now I have too many! :smalltongue:

Half-minotaur fits like a glove. It's just too perfect NOT to use (the only other one like that would be the Krynn minotaur and that's from a pretty iffy source). This means the horns are taken care of...

For a bite I have the choices of the Planar Touchstone feat, , the Willing Deformity:Teeth feat, two level totemist dip (good for other natural attacks as well), and playing a longtooth shifter.

Hmm...Thrall of Baphomet requires 9 ranks in Handle Animal so Totemist might be the way to go...the only problem is that the flavor clases jarringly....

ShurikVch
2013-03-02, 03:15 PM
Other ways to get a bite attack:

Dip: 2-lvl in Vermin Lord

Vestige pact: Chupoclops

Items: Fanged Mask

Grafts:
Grasping Mandibles (Illithid), Fiend Folio pg. 212

Also, any sort of natural attacks can be acquired by demonic possession. Demon-possessor can transform victim's body... (FC1, pg. 24)

AmberVael
2013-03-02, 03:22 PM
I suggest you take a look here! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7066595)
It shows quite a few different ways to gain the various natural attacks. And other attacks, but that's a bit off topic.

I think that the Poison Fangs graft suggested above would be the best way to go though. It might be a bit expensive at early levels, but later on, 8,000 gold is way less investment than most of your other options, which would require levels or feats.