PDA

View Full Version : Freakiest build you can think of?

danzibr
2013-02-27, 07:39 PM
I've been reading some tentacle threads (don't ask) and got to thinking it'd be neat to build a character which truly *unsettles* people.

I imagine this will involve some grafts and feats and the like. Suppose no LA is allowed and we want to do this without casting and not necessarily evil. Just creepy to behold.

And all 3.5 is good. Sorry Ozodrin :(

Juntao112
2013-02-27, 07:40 PM
Think Fleshwarper/Cancer Mage.

Daftendirekt
2013-02-27, 08:08 PM
Think Fleshwarper/Cancer Mage.

Oooo, that's a good one. Adding it to my list of build ideas.

Empedocles
2013-02-27, 08:16 PM
It depends on what type of "freaky" you want. Some sort of illithid-graft equipped alienist would be a sort of far-realms freaky, but the most disturbing might be something with a cancer mage I think (as was already said).

Daftendirekt
2013-02-27, 08:19 PM
Not a build, but a spell: Avasculate (http://dndtools.eu/spells/libris-mortis-the-book-of-the-dead--71/avasculate--1467/). I'll let the spell's text speak for itself. Not only is it a good spell, it is also ****ING HORRIFYING.

You shoot a ray of necromantic energy from your outstretched hand, causing any living creature struck by the ray to violently purge blood or other vital fluids through its skin.
You must succeed on a ranged touch attack to affect the subject.
If successful, the subject is reduced to half of its current hit points (rounded down) and stunned for 1 round.
On a successful Fortitude saving throw, the subject is not stunned.

Phelix-Mu
2013-02-27, 08:36 PM
Wasn't it called Master of Swarms or something from Savage Species. Lots of creepy there. Not an easy class to get into, and some niche abilities, IIRC, but some crazy horrific flavor. Maybe combo with blighter or evil druid.... So many options.

Now, I think that there is a whole different way to take this. Gross physical effects can be quite disturbing, but I went for an mid-op Intimidate build for draconic sorcerer, and went with the flavor that she isn't in-your-face scary, but deeply disturbing at some instinctive level without even trying. She looks kind of innocent with a touch of goth (very pale, black hair, red eyes, a touch of the draconic heritage for those that know what they are looking for), acts extremely weird, hums to herself, and just freaks people out.

Eventually she moved into Dread Witch, and her Intimidate moved into the 50s-60s.

Just saying that tentacles aren't the only way to establish that feeling...you know, the one that's hard to put into words...

....a certain something that nags at the back of your mind. Slowly, it consumes your attention until you just...

can't....

stand it anymore...

BUT WHAT THE HELL IS IT?

Hehe, man I do like a touch of the horror.

QuickLyRaiNbow
2013-02-27, 08:59 PM
Caelic's Boogeyman

The Boogeyman
In all times, in all places, children have their stories of the dark figure who lurks in the shadows, ready to pounce on the unwary and drag them off. He goes by many names in many cultures, but is known to some simply as the Boogeyman. Parents, of course, always dismiss such stories with the same strengthless reassurances--there's no such thing as a Boogeyman, he's not hiding in the closet, and he's not going to eat you. The children know differently, though.

And in the city of Sharn, the children are right. There IS a Boogeyman, and he IS coming to eat your soul.

Nobody knows for sure who this creature is, or how he came to be...but he is undeniably more than childrens' stories. The dregs of the city speak of him in hushed whispers, and there are certain areas of the sewers and the low city which they avoid like the plague. These are the haunts of the Boogeyman, and those who go in do not come out again. He has worn a thousand faces, and will wear a thousand more--usually the faces of those most trusted by his victim. He lives not for the kill, but for the terror in the eyes of his chosen prey. The fear is what adds savor to his meat...and his meat is nothing less than the souls of living beings. The innocent and the wicked alike are his prey, and all who know of him fear him.

The Boogeyman is real. Pray that he's not hiding under your bed when you go to bed tonight.

Feral Changeling Rogue2/Hexblade3/Warshaper3/Soul Eater 9/Blackguard 2

1. Rogue 1: SA +1d6, Trapfinding, Alertness
2. Rogue 2: Evasion
3. Hexblade 1: Hexblade's Curse, 1/day, Power Attack
4. Hexblade 2: Arcane Resistance
5. Hexblade 3: Mettle
6. Warshaper 1: Morphic Weapons, Morphic Immunities, WF: Claw
7. Warshaper 2: Morphic Body
8. Soul Eater 1: Energy Drain 1
9. Warshaper 3: Morphic Reach, Cleave
10. Soul Eater 2: Soul Strength
11. Soul Eater 3: Soul Blast
12. Soul Eater 4: Soul Enhancement, Multiattack
13. Soul Eater 5: Soul Endurance
14. Soul Eater 6: Soul Radiance
15. Soul Eater 7: Energy Drain 2, Improved Sunder
16. Blackguard 1: Aura of Evil, Detect Good, Poison Use
17. Blackguard 2: Dark Blessing, Smite Good 1/day
18. Soul Eater 8: Soul Agility
19. Soul Eater 9: Soul Slave

STATS (28 pt buy)

STR: 10 +4 unnamed +4 enhancement=18
DEX: 10 +4 enhancement=14
CON: 16 +4 unnamed +4 enhancement=24
INT: 10
WIS: 10 +4 inherent +6 enhancement=20
CHA: 16 +5 level +5 inherent +6 enhancement=32

BAB: 18

SAVES:
FORT: 14+7+11=+32 (+43 vs. spells)
REF: 12+2+11=+25 (+36 vs. spells)
WILL: 11+5+11=+26 (+37 vs. spells)

KEY ITEMS: Tome of Charisma +5, Tome of Wisdom +4, Cloak of Charisma +6, Periapt of Wisdom +6

TACTICS: The Boogeyman has created an underground kingdom for himself in the sewers of Sharn, populated by his subjects...the husks of his former victims, now wights under his command. He sends these servants out at night to snatch the unwary, dragging them down to his underground domain to fill his menagerie. Always hungry, he is nonetheless a fussy eater, preferring to feed only upon souls in the uttermost states of terror. While the prisoners in his menagerie serve to slake his thirst for fear and misery on a day to day basis...and occasionally serve as his food in lean times...he prefers to hunt on the surface, selecting victim (preferrably an innocent) and then stalking them relentlessly. With his ability to shift forms, he is able to gather information on his prey with relative ease. When ready to strike, he comes to them in the forms of those they trust the most, terrorizing them before devouring their souls.

In combat, the Boogeyman sprouts claws, fangs, and horrific tentacles. While these weapons do little physical damage, they are nonetheless absolutely deadly, as each strike bestows two negative levels on the target.
Typically, the monster attacks with two claws, a bite, and two tentacles, possibly resulting in ten negative levels per round.

Xaktsaroth's Triad of Shadows: Here (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19868722/Triad_of_Shadows)

I really think the best way to handle this visually is templates. Tauric, Symbiotic and Insectile off the top of my head could have solid fluff there. Also Anthropomorphic animals. Specifically octopus or squid.

Fyermind
2013-02-27, 09:04 PM
So I played a changling wizard incantrix. I persisted detect thoughts.

I would take the form of their loved ones but with cruel errors.

Of course, as an incantrix abusing persistent spell, I had a lot of other things that were scary. And could capitalize on weaknesses I left.

GutterFace
2013-02-27, 09:07 PM
add mother cyst to anything! :)

Vaz
2013-02-27, 11:02 PM
Dvati Wild Shape Ranger 5/Impure Prince 5/Fiend of Possession 5/Planar Shepherd 5

Being from Xoriat they get 10:1 actions in the bubble, transforming into Neogirand Old spitting out 2d4 spawn each round. In the bubble for each action you take, 40d4 Spawn are created. They have a Wild Cohort, and each possess their own Animal companion and are immune to damage in those forms. Trick is that the Crow AC is really hiding the FoP not the Bear. If fightning does need to be done, well, it has its symbionts to back it up.

Slipperychicken
2013-02-27, 11:26 PM
How about an ordinary noble, who can suddenly grow 7,600 waving striking tentacles which feed off his body, each with a mind of it's own (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19861906/LoPs_Dirty_Tricks_4:_The_Nasty_Gentlemen).

Deathra13
2013-02-27, 11:55 PM
Depends on what kind of unsettled you want. I think most parties would be unsettled if you decided to add a new class every level for as long as possible.

Rubik
2013-02-28, 12:03 AM
I had a ghost lesser tiefling psychic warrior build once that specialized in Illithid Grapple feats (which give you tentacles). I'd possess another creature, and since I retained all my feats even when possessing, whatever I inhabited would explode into demonic features and horror and proceed to eat face. I fluffed the tentacles as necrotic worms burrowing out through the creature's body from the corruption of the malevolent demonic undead spirit within it. Further mutations would occur whenever I'd manifest powers. Claws would shred the creature's fingertips bloodily whenever I manifested Claws of the Beast, and the bones of the lower half of its face would burst through the skin in a horrible gout of blood when manifesting Bite of the Wolf. Then when I manifested Form of Doom, its entire hide would slough off and oozing tentacles would squirm out and wiggle at foes.

It was horrible. And awesome.

And best of all, he was the misbegotten, stillborn spawn of Cthulu. Yay miniature elder evils!

Gnome Alone
2013-02-28, 12:38 AM
The vaguely unnerving draconic sorceress just sounds hot to me. I'm sure it was creepy, it's just... creepy is not what I'm picturing.

On that note, is there a way to wildshape into a swarm? Because if a succubus druid did that: succubus swarm. Yech.

Kelb_Panthera
2013-02-28, 01:19 AM
The vaguely unnerving draconic sorceress just sounds hot to me. I'm sure it was creepy, it's just... creepy is not what I'm picturing.

On that note, is there a way to wildshape into a swarm? Because if a succubus druid did that: succubus swarm. Yech.

There's just too much here not to comment.

1) You've regarded what was supposed to be creepy as hot while simultaneously regarding what's supposed to be hot as creepy.

2)That juxtaposition is enhanced by the dramatic increase in the use of a swarm (mob template in DMG2 btw)

3) Given the OP's use of "freaky" in his thread title, the succubus swarm is likely quite a bit freakier than the creepy draconic sorceress in a completely different use of the word.

I'm sorry, I just couldn't resist highlighting the irony and word-play.

On topic:

For me creepy comes almost entirely from the fluff of a character. The crunch can only go so far.

I'd say that there's little that's as creepy as a ranking member of one of the Riedran shadow lines, whatever his build; A no-longer-quite human character that knows he's been intentionally bred by ineffable entities born from dreams for the sole purpose of advancing their cause on the material and works on their behalf in-spite of this knowledge..... *shivers*