PDA

View Full Version : Monkey Race [3.P]

Milo v3
2013-02-27, 07:49 PM
Kaori
The Kaori are often known as "Monkey Men", a term which while appropriate is seen as an insult. They orginated from a tribe of monkeys which rapidly evolved after a star crashed into their forest. This didn't just increase their intelligence though, it warped their bodies into taller forms, and allowed to manipulate light.**** **** ****

+2 Dexterity, +2 Intelligence, –2 Constitution: Kaori are nimble, both in body and mind, but their form is frail.
Kaori Kaori are humanoids with the Kaori subtype.
Medium: Kaori are Medium creatures and receive no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Aboreal: Kaori have a base speed of 30 feet. and a climb speed of 20 feet.
Jungleborn: Kaori gain a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against disease, ingested poisons, and becoming nauseated or sickened. In addition, Kaori are always considered to have a running start when making Acrobatics checks to jump.
Prehensile Tail: Kaori have a long, flexible tail that can be used to carry objects. They cannot wield weapons with their tails, but they can retrieve small, stowed objects carried on their persons as a swift action.
Primitive Arcana: Kaori find casting normal spells difficult. To determine if a Kaori can cast a spell, they must have a casting ability equal to double the spell’s level + 10, rather than the spell’s level +10.
Stellar Bond: Because of their bond to the stars, Kaori are immune to light-based blindness and dazzle effects. They are also treated as one level higher when determining the effects of any light-based spells or effects they cast (including spell-like and supernatural abilities).
Touch of Night: Any Kaori which has an Intelligence of 10 or higher, may use light at will as a spell-like ability.
Weapon Familiarity: Kaori are proficient with atlatls, bolas, boomerang, and tepoztopilli.
Languages: Kaori begin play speaking Kaorthic. Kaori with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following: Common, Draconic, Elven, and Goblin.

vasharanpaladin
2013-02-27, 08:21 PM
Already done for you. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/uncommon-races/arg-vanaras)

You're welcome. :smalltongue:

Milo v3
2013-02-27, 08:49 PM
Already done for you. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/uncommon-races/arg-vanaras)

You're welcome. :smalltongue:

Don't like them and doesn't fit the intent of this race.

Vanaras have bad charisma (Unwanted)
Low-Light Vision (Unnecessary)
Lacks light generation (One of the main intentions of race)
Nothing to protection them from diseases (bad for a jungle race)
Lacks increased intelligence (One of the main intentions of race)

Frathe
2013-02-27, 10:01 PM
First thing: Why are you making up a subtype? It's almost certainly not going to be used for anything except for this race.

I'm not sure you should be using "Celestial" as a term, considering that that already has a meaning in the game (i.e., celestial creatures). I might suggest "Stellar" instead.

vasharanpaladin
2013-02-27, 10:05 PM
Don't like them and doesn't fit the intent of this race.

Vanaras have bad charisma (Unwanted)
Low-Light Vision (Unnecessary)
Lacks light generation (One of the main intentions of race)
Nothing to protection them from diseases (bad for a jungle race)
Lacks increased intelligence (One of the main intentions of race)

Subraces are a thing.

Milo v3
2013-02-27, 10:13 PM
First thing: Why are you making up a subtype? It's almost certainly not going to be used for anything except for this race.
All humanoids require a Subtype......

I'm not sure you should be using "Celestial" as a term, considering that that already has a meaning in the game (i.e., celestial creatures). I might suggest "Stellar" instead.
Stellar sounds fine.

Subraces are a thing.
Doesn't matter if I dislike most of the race.

Frathe
2013-02-27, 10:44 PM
All humanoids require a Subtype......Sorry, my mistake. I'm not used to the Pathfinder format and it confused me (the 3.5 SRD doesn't usually specify type in that part of the description).

For Primative Arcana (should be Primitive), what qualifies as a "normal" spell? It seems like they should be fine with Druid spells and such; maybe you could split it by spell list.

The standard advice I've heard is to not make up your own racial language, because it's going to be pretty much useless to a player. But I understand why you'd want one; maybe you could give them Sylvan instead.

Milo v3
2013-02-27, 11:23 PM
For Primative Arcana (should be Primitive), what qualifies as a "normal" spell? It seems like they should be fine with Druid spells and such; maybe you could split it by spell list.
A spell. They can still use Invocations, Soulmelds, Pactmagic, Blademagic, etc.

The standard advice I've heard is to not make up your own racial language, because it's going to be pretty much useless to a player. But I understand why you'd want one; maybe you could give them Sylvan instead.
I generally wouldn't make a new one, but I decided to from a flavour standpoint. They are a relatively new race, and they were isolated for a decent period. This means they would have to develop their own language.

Rizban
2013-02-27, 11:28 PM
Aww... I clicked this with a vision of halfling jockeys riding on the backs of dire apes.