PDA

View Full Version : Splat based campaign

NotScaryBats
2013-02-27, 10:08 PM
What book would you use to play a campaign based on? Like, "this is a Races of the Dragon campaign, focusing on kobold miners discovering..." or "this is a Stormwrack campaign focusing on a ship of salty buccaneers..."

Other books needn't be banned, but the majority of Content would come from the one book.

Which would you choose?

Morcleon
2013-02-27, 10:41 PM
Tome of Magic. A group of truenamers sets out to discover the reason behind their lack of power compared to other classes, and finds at the end of their quest, a tier 3 truenamer fix. :smalltongue::smallwink::smallbiggrin:

*ahem* I would really enjoy a psionics game, based on Hyperconsciousness. 3rd party, but it's a wonderful book. Libris Mortis would also be fun. Undead for everyone! :smallbiggrin:

Psyren
2013-02-27, 11:01 PM
An Incarnum campaign would be fun - simply because no matter what classes the players are using, you can slap on a few soulmelds and make them better. And those that want a deeper dive into Incarnum can PrC or retrain.

NotScaryBats
2013-02-27, 11:31 PM
I've always thought Frostburn would be cool to explore, because then you could get use out of those super situational spells / prcs etc

JoshuaZ
2013-02-27, 11:33 PM
Tome of Magic, because Binders are awesome. They have great flavor, the crunch and fluff fit together like no other class, and they aren't too strong but for the most part comfortably in T3 (or with online vestiges), low T2. So fewer headaches for the DM. And so, so many potential plot hooks.

Metahuman1
2013-02-27, 11:46 PM
In before tome of battle.

The book of Melee finally had something nice deserves mention.

Acanous
2013-02-27, 11:55 PM
Dungeonscape. Wait, that's a normal session...

ArcturusV
2013-02-27, 11:59 PM
I'd go for Stormwrack. The sea gets no lovin' from anyone who isn't a freaky fish guy. Players seem to want to avoid it like the plague. Been forever since I've been in a campaign that even SAW a body of water larger than a river much less featured it. Plus I always wanted to run around as one of those Dolphin guys from the book.

Phelix-Mu
2013-02-28, 12:01 AM
I've always thought Frostburn would be cool to explore, because then you could get use out of those super situational spells / prcs etc

I will second this. In particular, alongside Sandstorm, low-level survival encounters using the weather/terrain info in these books can be pretty cool, a very memorable alternative to hack-and-slash. If the DM ratchets it up a little, then the challenge can even persist into mid-levels (what was it called? negation snow? w/e it was, I used it, and win followed).

A major campaign I ran actually had a crystal dragon heritage spellscale exalted VoP cleric that took Rimefire Witch. Super not optimized, but Hleid had personally approached the character as part of a rebuild-into-cleric quest/spirit journey, so the flavor was pretty awesome. And I made sure that the class features weren't totally useless outside of frostfell regions, where most of the campaign took place. In any case, the player made a very memorable character, and the Frostburn-driven parts of the campaign were quite awesome.

Fates
2013-02-28, 12:01 AM
Complete scoundrel, because why the hell not?

Kuulvheysoon
2013-02-28, 12:24 AM
I will second this. In particular, alongside Sandstorm, low-level survival encounters using the weather/terrain info in these books can be pretty cool, a very memorable alternative to hack-and-slash. If the DM ratchets it up a little, then the challenge can even persist into mid-levels (what was it called? negation snow? w/e it was, I used it, and win followed).

I'm actually going to be running a low-level, low-tech (think more bronze age) Sandstorm campaign for a pair of my friends one of these days. Just got to finish fleshing out the campaign world (well, it happens in my default world, but about 2000 years in the past).

They've chosen to play as a Hexblade and Dread Necromancer.

NotScaryBats
2013-02-28, 12:52 AM
What would a Tome of Battle campaign be like? Martial artists searching for a legendary weapon? I guess that would be pretty cool -- especially with some OA flavor thrown in.

Psyren
2013-02-28, 01:07 AM
They've chosen to play as a Hexblade and Dread Necromancer.

Be sure to use the designer's Hexblade fix. (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19547530/Contacting_Wizards_of_the_Coast_about_Hex_Blades?p ost_id=332210466#332210466) Or if you want even more power, bring in the Magus from Pathfinder with the Hexcrafter archetype.

Kelb_Panthera
2013-02-28, 01:28 AM
Not one, but a pair. I'd really enjoy playing a campaign that drew heavily on the Books of Exalted Deeds and Vile Darkness. Really crank up the frequency of moral dillemas and the intensity of the moral imperatives.

I've never been part of a group that could handle more than a splash of such treatment though; much less really diving in head first.

Metahuman1
2013-02-28, 01:30 AM
What would a Tome of Battle campaign be like? Martial artists searching for a legendary weapon? I guess that would be pretty cool -- especially with some OA flavor thrown in.

Or seeking to found and gain acknowledgment of there own school, or the last surviving students of a once great school seeking to avenge it's destruction, or simply seeking there own forms of enlightenment, or just actually bad-ass martial types with more typical motives to there inspiration sources.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-02-28, 02:10 AM
Be sure to use the designer's Hexblade fix. (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19547530/Contacting_Wizards_of_the_Coast_about_Hex_Blades?p ost_id=332210466#332210466) Or if you want even more power, bring in the Magus from Pathfinder with the Hexcrafter archetype.

Trust me - ever since I discovered that, it's been printed and has a permanent home in my copy of Complete Warrior. The difference is staggering.

Morphie
2013-02-28, 07:38 AM
Or, if you want to bring chaos to the table, Unearthed Arcana!!

I'm also thinking about Manual of the Planes, that would actually sound interesting...