PDA

View Full Version : [3.5 PEACH] Twinsoul Template

Aldurin
2013-02-28, 03:38 AM
"No, I don't like to refer to myself as 'we'. While it is true that I am two, each has the same sense of self, the same desires, and the same motivations. There are distinctions, though, like that Phantasmal Killer you tried to use failed on me, simply because one saw through the illusion and held on so that the other failing wasn't the end. But now, it's time I released your only soul from your body."
~Malphus Elrend, Twinsoul Druid.

What is a soul? Why do those within this plane gain one upon birth? The answer is unknown, but the mystery deepens with the rare occurrences. One of those is a creature that is born of two souls. Neither separate nor combined, both souls recognize themselves and possess functional unison, though they eventually become indistinguishable from others as the same thoughts and experiences influence them equally. While each thinks for themselves, they operate the same body, which comes with its own advantages and disadvantages. A Twinsoul's mind becomes far stronger and harder to overcome, but many small and unconscious actions are often unsynchronized, making complex movement difficult to perform smoothly.

The Twinsoul Template

The Twinsoul is an inherited template that can be applied to any creature with an intelligence score of at least 4, except for Outsiders, Undead and Constructs.

A Twinsoul creature all the base creature’s statistics and special abilities except as noted here.

Special Qualities:
-Evasive Will: When making a successful Will save against any effect that would normally have a lesser effect on a successful save (such as any spell with a saving throw entry of Will half or Will partial), the Twinsoul instead suffers no effect.
-Dual Will: When making a Will save, you can choose to roll the save twice and take the average of the two results (rounded down). Rolling a natural 20 does not mean automatic success when rolling this way, but rolling a natural 1 with either roll inflicts 2 points of Wisdom damage that heal normally and results in automatic failure as normal. Should both rolls be natural 1, the resulting effect is treated as Intensified, as the metamagic feat, and the penalties for rolling a single natural 1 apply once. Evasive Will does not apply if you choose to use this, as both souls are dedicating themselves to resisting the effect.
-Dual Soul: Having two souls complicates coming back to life. Should a Twinsoul die, spells that restore the soul to the body, such as Raise Dead, Reincarnate and Resurrection (exception for spells such as Revivify that restore the body before the soul leaves), must be cast simultaneously from two different people, otherwise the spell is wasted and any costs consumed. Stronger effects (specifically those that would restore an Outsider back to life) work unimpeded by this template.

Abilities: Increase from base creature as follows: Dex -4, Int +2, Wis +6, Cha +2. Twinsouls have better mental faculties, but coordination can be difficult when it comes to complex actions.

Skills: The Twinsoul gains 1 bonus skill point per level, like those that a human gets. These bonus skill points stack with a human's bonus skill points and other such races.

Alignment: Any (Usually neutral), Twinsouls are still victims of life and its influence, so they may be found on any path of life. The constant companionship that the two minds provide each other often gives them an odd perspective, so many tend towards neutrality.

Challenge Rating: As base creature +2

Level Adjustment: +2

Ex-Twinsouls: Any Twinsoul that becomes an Outsider, Undead or Construct lose all three special qualities, as its souls are forced to be either fused with the physical form, or lose their connection. Turning an Undead Twinsoul back into a living creature causes it to regain those special qualities once again.

Notes:
The intention with this template is to provide a decent option for those seeking a stronger mental aspect for mechanics or fluff. The strong advantages around mental stats and will saves is balanced by the risks of backlash and reviving complications, along with the decreased dexterity. Hoping it's something people find interesting and worth using, since this is my first try at homebrew.

Frathe
2013-02-28, 05:06 PM
I'm not great at judging this type of thing, but +6 to Wis seems like a bit much (considering the LA and CR adjustment).

When I first saw this, I expected the main special ability not to be taking the average of Will saves, but that you get to roll two Will saves and take the higher of the two (kind of like 5e Advantage, if you're familiar with that).

I get why it takes two resurrection spells, but not why those spells explicitly have to be cast by different people. Oh, so it's simultaneous. Also, what effect does reincarnation have? (It gives a randomized new form that you roll for. How does that work here? Do you roll once or twice?)