PDA

View Full Version : Damien Versus the World

Jarian
2013-02-28, 12:08 PM
Your senses return abruptly, and you awaken into a scene straight out of a dream... or maybe a nightmare.

The platform you lay on seems made of ordinary - if thick - glass, save for the crackles of dark violet energy you can see race through it from time to time. Eight dark stone pillars rise from the surface of the glass, each tipped with a large, rough-cut amethyst. More energy is stored within the crystals, arcing between each of their neighbors at semi-regular intervals in bright, lightning-fast sparks.

Before you can truly come to your senses, a massive bolt of the curious purple energy strikes an elevated section of the platform, depositing the horribly burnt form of what you assume was once a majestically beautiful male angel a full eight feet tall. The angel's feathered wings seem to have suffered as much as the rest of its body, feathers seared almost completely away and horrible ragged strips of flesh simply missing.

Even as your mind begins to process the angel's arrival, each and every one of its wounds begin to exude a revolting purple pus, which begins to flow across its body in a network of pumping veins. The angel screams, a deep-throated sound borne of pure torment. Its eyes flick to you, even as its one arm covered almost entirely in purple veins shoots to one side and flicks its fingers in a convoluted motion. "END IT! END IT, I BEG YOU! A-A... AAAAAUGH!"

The angel's yet untainted arm claws feebly at the one thrust to its side even as it throws its head back to howl in agony, but to no avail. A heartbeat later, a sword of violet crystal six feet long appears hovering in midair inches from its fingertips, wicked black spikes jutting from its blade.

---

You go first. You begin the encounter prone. So long as you remain in contact with the platform, you are hasted.

http://img805.imageshack.us/img805/8352/raggedboss1.jpg

RaggedAngel
2013-02-28, 12:50 PM
Free Action: Tumble to Free Stand, DC 35: [roll0]

He then Hides In Plain Sight: [roll1]

Swift Action: Stance Master to enter two stances. He enters Stance of Alacrity (one free Counter every turn, Diam.) and Child of Shadow (20% miss chance as long as he moves 10ft, Shadow).

Move Action: Shadow Stride to teleport to 10/4; the closest corner of the Angeldemon. Child of Shadow is active, as is Desert Wind Dodge.

Standard action: Strike of Perfect Clarity, Power Attack for 2.
Attack: (20BAB+8Str+14Enhance+1WF+2MoN-2PA) [roll2] +1 for Haste
If that misses, he counters with Lightning Recovery: [roll3] +1 for Haste
Damage: (100SoPC+12Str+3Enhance+9MoN+6PA+1Fire) [roll4]

Hide check to remain Hidden in Plain Sight (with -20 penalty), opposed by Spot: [roll5]

Without pause Damien rolls to his feet in a lightning-fast, fluid motion, his blade flaring out to the side as his left hand stretches the other direction for balance. He then turns with the motion, twisting shadow and light around him, using both the column and the strange crackling light to conceal himself like a phantasm.

He then shifts himself faintly, and the shadows around him roil with a life of their own, even as his own motions become sharper and more precise. With a faint breath of effort and a sharp twist, he folds himself into nothing but a point of shadow, which vanishes.

Directly beside the angel-monster, another point of shadow appears, expanding outwards with blazing speed. Still concealed by the air itself, Damien thrusts forward, the point of his blade carried with the precision and power of a hundred fencing masters, the fury of a thousand legionnaires. He strikes with the force of a thunderstorm, compressed down to the single razor tip of his greatsword.

Jarian
2013-02-28, 01:00 PM
Fluff coming after yours, but attacking the 'angel' triggers a contingent Blasphemy. If your HD is below 18+[roll0] you're dazed for one round and potentially suffer a reduction in strength of [roll1] for [roll2] rounds.

...yeah, that.

Even as Damien's sword begins to surge forward, the ichorous veins twist into the angel's mouth, wrenching its tongue about, twisting its howl of agony into a vile, blasphemous curse that strikes with enough force to leave you staggered and disoriented, limbs seeming watery with leeched strength.

--

Angel turn coming next post.

RaggedAngel
2013-02-28, 01:03 PM
Would becoming Incorporeal avoid that? I'll admit, it's been a while since I read up on my incorporeal/ethereal rules.

Jarian
2013-02-28, 01:07 PM
An incorporeal creature has no physical body. It can be harmed only by other incorporeal creatures, magic weapons or creatures that strike as magic weapons, and spells, spell-like abilities, or supernatural abilities. It is immune to all nonmagical attack forms.

Unless I'm missing something about Damien's current effects, no.

Edit: Probably best to indicate when your turn/counter strategy is done, so I know whether or not to progress.

RaggedAngel
2013-02-28, 02:57 PM
Even when hit by spells or magic weapons, it has a 50% chance to ignore any damage from a corporeal source (except for positive energy, negative energy, force effects such as magic missile, or attacks made with ghost touch weapons).

This should give him a chance of avoiding the ability damage, as well as mitigating the damage he's probably going to take next round.

So, yeah. As an Immediate action in response to the spell, he counters with One With Shadow. Additionally, he uses his Counter Stance ability to enter a third stance (two with Dual Stance, and an additional one from Stance Mastery makes three), which will be Immortal Fortitude. Just in case this thing can kill him in a single turn.

Otherwise, he has no response and is Dazed. Have at me, Jarian.

Jarian
2013-02-28, 03:13 PM
Blasphemy (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/blasphemy.htm) does not inflict ability damage, it just lowers your score. Unfortunately for you. :smalltongue:

The angel swings its twisted hand in an arc toward Damien, fingers flicking unerringly toward his faded form, vile black energy crackling along the nails.

Touch attack 1 (pop spoiler if hit): [roll0] (Incorporeal miss on 1: [roll1])DC 35 will save orYou are cursed, as Greater Bestow Curse. You suffer a -8 penalty to attack rolls, saving throws, skill checks, and ability checks.

Touch attack 2 (pop spoiler if hit) [roll2] (Incorporeal miss on 1: [roll3]If previous attack was successful, take 150 negative energy damage, or 75 on a DC 35 Fortitude save.

Otherwise, DC 35 Will save orYou are cursed, as Greater Bestow Curse. You suffer a -8 penalty to attack rolls, saving throws, skill checks, and ability checks.

The cursed hand continues to flicker in your direction, directing the viciously barbed blade in a series of lightning strokes.

Attack1: [roll4]
Incorporeal Miss Chance (Miss on 1): [roll5]
Damage: [roll6] and 1 Constitution damage

Attack2: [roll7]
Incorporeal Miss Chance (Miss on 1): [roll8]
Damage: [roll9] and 1 Constitution damage

Attack3: [roll10]
Incorporeal Miss Chance (Miss on 1): [roll11]
Damage: [roll12] and 1 Constitution damage

Attack4: [roll13]
Incorporeal Miss Chance (Miss on 1): [roll14]
Damage: [roll15] and 1 Constitution damage

---

No changes to map except your movement adjacent, not updating.

RaggedAngel
2013-02-28, 03:21 PM
Child of Shadow is still active, so these all miss on a 1:
Attack 1: [roll0]
Attack 2: [roll1]
Attack 3: [roll2]
Attack 4: [roll3]

His AC is 42 right now, so attacks 2 and 3 will hit if Child of Shadow doesn't stop them.

I assume that is two turns worth of actions, correct? Or is another round coming?

Jarian
2013-02-28, 03:25 PM
Attack4 is a 20, so it crit threats: [roll0] for [roll1] bonus damage.

That was one turn's worth of actions. You were dazed on your turn for 1 round, so the effect fades at the top of your initiative count.

Edit: The angel's attacks aren't affected by concealment. Child of Shadows doesn't apply.

RaggedAngel
2013-02-28, 04:27 PM
Damien Swiftarm (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=477503)
Male Lawful Good Human Warblade 20// Swordsage 15/ Master of Nine 5, Level 20, Init +16, HP 217/300, Speed 50
AC 41, Touch 25, Flat-footed 36, Fort +24, Ref +28, Will +25, Base Attack Bonus +20/+15/+10/+5
+3 Iron Heart Diamond Mind Shadow Hand Tiger Claw White Raven Greatsword +39/+34/+29/+24 (2d6+15, 19-20/x2)
Unarmed Strike +29/+24/+19/+14 (2d6+8, x2)
+1 Warning Armor Spikes +29/+24/+19/+14 (1d6+9, x2)
+5 Light Fortification Mithral Breastplate, Ring of Force Shield (+10 Armor, +2 Shield, +5 Dex, +4 Natural, +5 Deflect, +5 Misc)
Abilities Str 16, Dex 20, Con 19, Int 20, Wis 20, Cha 14
Condition Stance of Alacrity, Immortal Fortitude, Child of Shadow

Stat block, adjusted for lowered Str and Con. I'm sure I didn't managed to change everything, but it hopefully won't matter for long.

Damien draws on the power of his gleaming belt, and that small instant expands into a long moment; and moment becomes the vicious strike. His blade gleams with a blinding holy light, and he strikes out with all his might at the angel.

Strike of Righteous Vitality: (20BAB+3Str+14Enhance+1WF+2MoN) [roll0]
Damage: (4Str+3Enhance+9MoN)[roll1]
If it hits, he is affected by a Heal. Will the strength penalty be removed by that? It's hard to tell.

If it misses, he will reroll with Lightning Recovery, and change his Child of Shadow and Immortal Fortitude stances to Supreme Blade Parry and Leaping Dragon stances.
Reroll attack: (20BAB+3Str+16Enhance+1WF+2MoN+2) [roll2]

I will continue with his turn after I find out if he hits or not.

EDIT-Wow, those rolls are not fantastic. Here's hoping for luck.

Jarian
2013-02-28, 04:29 PM
That hits and is significantly reduced by damage reduction. The strength reduction is not something that heal repairs.

RaggedAngel
2013-02-28, 09:37 PM
Well, the HP damage and Con drain are gone, which is pimpin' enough for me. Even though I'm sure it'll come right back if I can't end this quickly.

One more question before I go crazy; Time Stands Still gives me two Full Attack actions in a row. Can one of those Full Attack actions be spent to perform a maneuver with the duration of a Full Attack?

Jarian
2013-02-28, 09:47 PM
Nope. You use your full-round action to activate the maneuver, which does what it says on the tin. Granting you a full attack isn't the same as a full-round action, which (I think) all of the full-attack maneuvers require.

RaggedAngel
2013-02-28, 10:54 PM
After his healing strike connects, Damien feels invigorated; but his strength has not returned, and so he calls forth a different kind of power. The shadows around him become cloying, thick, and he lunges forward, darkness piercing darkness. "Five-Shadow Creeping Ice Enervation Strike!"

Five-Shadow Creeping Ice Enervation Strike!

I like saying that.

Attack: (20BAB+3Str+14Enhance+1WF+2MoN) [roll0]
Counter-Reroll: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2] + [roll3]

Special Effect! [roll4]

If 1-7: [roll5] Dex damage. Special: speed is 0.

If 8-14: [roll6] Str damage. Special: -6 attacks and Concentration.

If 15-20: [roll7] Dex, [roll8] Str. Special: [roll9] Con damage.

The angel has to make a Will save, DC 25. If it succeeds (and I'm sure it does) ignore the Special effect, and it takes half the ability damage.

Damien then lunges away from the angel, tumbling effortlessly outside of its threatening range, back down to the lower level and behind the column. His movements are unhindered by his weakened state, and he will attempt to Hide In Plain Sight if it makes a difference.

Jarian
2013-03-04, 01:45 PM
Will:[roll0]

To be clear, you're going back to where you started the fight at, or some other space?

RaggedAngel
2013-03-04, 05:30 PM
To be clear, you're going back to where you started the fight at, or some other space?

Back to the starting point sounds fine to me. With one opponent he automatically succeeds any Tumble checks to avoid AoO's at full speed.

Jarian
2013-03-05, 02:10 PM
At this rate I'm never going to update the map. :smalltongue:

Still howling in agony, the angel thrusts its twisted arm skyward. The crystals atop the pillars respond, releasing twin blasts of dark energy, one of which strikes him squarely in the chest and seems to reinvigorate him, while the other briefly manifests in a field of crackling energy within the confines of the other set of pillars surrounding you.

You take [roll0] untyped damage, no save. The angel is healed for an equal amount.

RaggedAngel
2013-03-06, 03:57 PM
Male Lawful Good Human Warblade 20// Swordsage 15/ Master of Nine 5, Level 20, Init +16, HP 278/360, Speed 50
AC 41, Touch 25, Flat-footed 36, Fort +24, Ref +28, Will +25, Base Attack Bonus +20/+15/+10/+5
+3 Iron Heart Diamond Mind Shadow Hand Tiger Claw White Raven Greatsword +39/+34/+29/+24 (2d6+15, 19-20/x2)
+5 Light Fortification Mithral Breastplate, Ring of Force Shield (+10 Armor, +2 Shield, +5 Dex, +4 Natural, +5 Deflect, +5 Misc)
Abilities Str 16, Dex 20, Con 22, Int 20, Wis 20, Cha 14

Expended Maneuvers: Strike of Perfect Clarity, One With Shadow, Strike of Righteous Vitality, Five Finger Death Punch

Damien takes a moment to bring himself into a centered place, shifting the power of his interwoven stances. The shadows fall away from him, as does the unimpeachable vitality of nigh-divinity. Instead, a more simple kind of power hardens his armor and toughens his skin, and his feet balance on the air beneath them. He then leaps through the air, spinning and twisting with the faint light to appear all but invisible.

He ends up balancing in the air, ten feet above the ground and next to the creature; the creature down upon whom he brings his blade, a gleaming white light filling it with power. As he does he sets himself in the air, drawing might from the stone surrounding the dueling pair, feeling himself bolstered.

Swift action to shift stances to Stance of Alacrity, Supreme Blade Parry, and Balance on the Sky.

Move action to 10 feet up and to the right of the angel; exact position isn't important, and he has a 50ft move speed.

Hide while moving (nonmagical hiding, opposed by Spot, -5 for moving): [roll0]
He automatically succeeds any Tumble checks to avoid AoO's.

He attacks with White Raven Hammer, using Stone Power for 5 to gain 10 temporary hit points. (20BAB+3Str+16Enhance+1WF+2MoN)[roll1]
Damage: [roll2] + [roll3]
If he misses, he uses Lightning Recovery to reroll the attack with a +2 bonus.
If it hits either time, the angel is stunned for one round with no save.

If attacked physically, he will use Fool's Strike to send the first blow back towards the angel.

Jarian
2013-03-10, 03:22 AM
I don't know why I was putting off updating this. That hits, so the angel is stunned. Have another turn.

RaggedAngel
2013-03-10, 04:43 PM
Male Lawful Good Human Warblade 20// Swordsage 15/ Master of Nine 5, Level 20, Init +16, HP 278/360, Speed 50
Abilities Str 16, Dex 20, Con 22, Int 20, Wis 20, Cha 14

Expended Maneuvers: Strike of Perfect Clarity, One With Shadow, Strike of Righteous Vitality, Five Finger Death Punch, White Raven Hammer

The warblade takes his opponent's moment of weakness to lash out with a blinding flurry of blows, his blade and boots striking the angel in equal measure, trying to wear down the formidable opponent with a series of harrying attacks.

Damien allows the last of the strikes to fall away, for a moment, and he finds a calm center inside himself. And then he allows that calm to spread further, filling the room, wrapping around his foe. All becomes calm; and in that single moment of perfect calm, Time Stands Still. There is nothing but a faint flicker of motion, and a faint glint of steel to mark his split second assault.

Because he used Stone Power for 5 last round, all of his attacks this round ignore any DR or Hardness.

Swift Action: Raging Mongoose Boost, for four extra attacks, Power Attack for 2. (20BAB+3Str+16Enhance+1WF+1Haste+2MoN-2PA)

Sword 1: [roll0]
Damage 1: [roll1]
Crit Confirm: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

Sword 2: [roll4]
Damage 2: [roll5]
Crit Confirm: [roll6]
Damage: [roll7]

Unarmed 1: [roll8]
Damage 1: [roll9]
Crit Confirm: [roll10]
Damage: [roll11]

Unarmed 2: [roll12]
Damage 2: [roll13]
Crit Confirm: [roll14]
Damage: [roll15]

Full Round Action: Time Stands Still, with Haste and Power Attack for 2.

Full Attack 1:
Attack 1: [roll16]
Damage 1: [roll17]
Crit Confirm: [roll18]
Damage: [roll19]

Attack 2: [roll20]
Damage 2: [roll21]
Crit Confirm: [roll22]
Damage: [roll23]

Attack 3: [roll24]
Damage 3: [roll25]
Crit Confirm: [roll26]
Damage: [roll27]

Attack 4: [roll28]
Damage 4: [roll29]
Crit Confirm: [roll30]
Damage: [roll31]

Attack 5: [roll32]
Damage 5: [roll33]
Crit Confirm: [roll34]
Damage: [roll35]

Full Attack 2:
Attack 1: [roll36]
Damage 1: [roll37]
Crit Confirm: [roll38]
Damage: [roll39]

Attack 2: [roll40]
Damage 2: [roll41]
Crit Confirm: [roll42]
Damage: [roll43]

Attack 3: [roll44]
Damage 3: [roll45]
Crit Confirm: [roll46]
Damage: [roll47]

Attack 4: [roll48]
Damage 4: [roll49]
Crit Confirm: [roll50]
Damage: [roll51]

Attack 5: [roll52]
Damage 5: [roll53]
Crit Confirm: [roll54]
Damage: [roll55]

Jarian
2013-03-17, 08:20 AM
*smacks subscription list a few times*

Why the boop aren't these things updating properly for me?!

Ugh. Well. Thanks to that particularly clever combo (I honestly had never thought about it, and I've owned ToB for, what, over five years now?), the Angel From Hell is... quite dead. And significantly less challenging than I had assumed. I'll write up something more flowery and dramatic when I wake up, assuming you want to continue onto the next 'stage'.

RaggedAngel
2013-03-17, 01:11 PM
I'm a little afraid of what the "next stage" might entail, but I'd love to give it a shot if you're up for it. :smallsmile: