PDA

View Full Version : Theory on Malack's Age

Feddlefew
2013-02-28, 01:08 PM
Chronologically, Malack is probably at least 40, considering how long Tarquin has known him. We know he's a vampire, which means his actual age

I think he was turned as a child, possibly before becoming a cleric.

Evidence:
- Malack's legs don't seem to be touching the ground (but he definitely has them (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0737.html)), and he's stated he has a longer (implied to be floor length) hemline (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0764.html). While he appears noticeably taller than other lizard folk (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0721.html)*, he could be making himself that way via levitation and have very long tail. This would remove the suspicion about how someone who looks so young could have been an adventuring buddy of Tarquin's.
- Malack needs to have a high wisdom score to be an effective cleric, and he seems to be both reasonably charismatic (is a vampire that befriended both Durkon and V quickly) and intelligent (is a vampire who has amassed a sizable library and was able to help Durkon research Mass Death Ward). However, he's more than a bit socially clueless (best shown here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0871.html)).
-Malack is (in my opinion) motivated mostly by the desire to have friends, which is why he's willing to put up with Nale at Tarquin's request.

Basically, he's still physically a child, and he's mentally frozen at a young age. He's stupid or foolish, and he's still had +40 years to learn and amass a vast quantity of knowlage, but he's still childish. He's as much a foil to thog as he is to Durkon in this respect.

This also leaves the possibility that Malack was mostly socialized by other Vampires and his adventuring party, leaving him with a very warped understanding of ethics.

Thoughts?

*There are other comics that show this better.

Peelee
2013-02-28, 01:11 PM
Malack's legs don't seem to be touching the ground (but he definitely has them (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0737.html))

I do not see any evidence in that comic (or any other, for the record) that Malack has legs. Can you explain your reasoning behind the link you posted as evidence of legs?

Feddlefew
2013-02-28, 01:15 PM
I do not see any evidence in that comic (or any other, for the record) that Malack has legs. Can you explain your reasoning behind the link you posted as evidence of legs?

He has two 90 degree bends in his body, one for the hips and one for the feet or knees, where as if he didn't have legs he probably wouldn't have second sharp bend like that.

Peelee
2013-02-28, 01:19 PM
He has two 90 degree bends in his body, one for the hips and one for the feet or knees, where as if he didn't have legs he probably wouldn't have second sharp bend like that.

The first 90 degree bend is due to the shape of the chair; as you only mntioned it briefly, and without effect on his lower body, I'll assume there is no debate on that. The second is not necessarily due to knees; if he has a snakelike body, for instance, he could just be bending it at that angle due to comfort or to appear more natural to other humanoids.

Feddlefew
2013-02-28, 01:21 PM
The first 90 degree bend is due to the shape of the chair; as you only mntioned it briefly, and without effect on his lower body, I'll assume there is no debate on that. The second is not necessarily due to knees; if he has a snakelike body, for instance, he could just be bending it at that angle due to comfort or to appear more natural to other humanoids.

If he has a snake-like body he's got a very short lower half.

Peelee
2013-02-28, 01:24 PM
If he has a snake-like body he's got a very short lower half.

How so? Yuan-ti, for instance are medium-sized. They would be roughly the same size as humans, with standard variation. Malack's bottom half would then be normal, not very short.

I should note here that I do believe Malack is a yuan-ti. I am more than willing to give up this belief if I get evidence of legs. This is the purpose of my debating the issue.

Mike Havran
2013-02-28, 03:07 PM
I am more than willing to give up this belief if I get evidence of legs. This is the purpose of my debating the issue.

Well, he calls himself a lizardfolk and everybody else (Haley, Durkon) call him lizardfolk. And lizardfolk have legs so, why is it an issue?

Peelee
2013-02-28, 03:10 PM
Well, he calls himself a lizardfolk and everybody else (Haley, Durkon) call him lizardfolk. And lizardfolk have legs so, why is it an issue?

The issue would have been my lack of familiarity with lizardfolk in D&D (I've played several campaigns, but never had them crop up) and equating the word to be similar to "humanoid" and not refer to a specific race. Just looked it up and realized my error. Thanks!

Feddlefew
2013-02-28, 03:17 PM
How so? Yuan-ti, for instance are medium-sized. They would be roughly the same size as humans, with standard variation. Malack's bottom half would then be normal, not very short.

I should note here that I do believe Malack is a yuan-ti. I am more than willing to give up this belief if I get evidence of legs. This is the purpose of my debating the issue.

Well, ball pythons (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball_python) are pretty stocky, and their tails taper off pretty quickly. So if Malack has a tail short enough to account for the huminiod upper torso some Yuan-ti have, then thinking about having his upper-torso grafted on about half way down a ball-python's body is about as short as I think he could get with that body structure.

I always thought the snake-bodied Yuan-ti were based off of Cobras, because they both can move with the front part of their bodies lifted off the ground.

Edit: Never mind. :smallredface:

Peelee
2013-02-28, 03:21 PM
Well, I think the age questions is relatively settled, while the lizardfolk/yuan-ti one continues. Very bendy Malack in the new strip.

Feddlefew
2013-02-28, 03:44 PM
Don't forget that Malack is a lizard-person. Humans actually have a very limited range of movement for our spines. Of course, that's because we're bipeds and Malack is (probably) one too, so it could depend on what lizardmen take after for that bit of anatomy.

Alternatively, being super-huminoidly flexible is a perk of being undead.

Zmeoaice
2013-03-01, 01:25 AM
Well, we know he's well over 200, although still don't know when he was "turned" although being a Shaman probably means he was an adult