PDA

View Full Version : OOTS #874 - The Discussion Thread

Pages : [1] 2

The Giant
2013-02-28, 03:17 PM
New comic is up.

Also, I wrote a News post about my thumb's progress.

Peelee
2013-02-28, 03:19 PM
The background info given on Malack is awesome. Also, I very nearly laughed out loud when I saw him hanging upside down in panel 6. Awesome.

Doxkid
2013-02-28, 03:20 PM
Oh god, they're getting even faster.

Xiander
2013-02-28, 03:22 PM
I cannot see the comic :smallfrown:

Raineh Daze
Now this is more like it. Excellent. :biggrin:

I cannot see the comic

S.O.P. for me is 'refresh page', 'try another browser', 'clear cache', if I run across anything like that.

ThePhantasm
I always love a Thor appearance! Good strip. Malack hanging upside down is creepy. Durkon isn't out of this yet.

TRH
Hell yeah, now that's the kind of strategy I was expecting from Malack! Can't wait to see what his next trick's gonna be. Durkon probably is running low on spells at this point...He may have no choice but to use that Planar Ally spell soon.

XanKrieger
That was amazing, I love the effect of Gas Malack and the tiny tidbit about his time as being truly alive. 200 Years, guy really needs to get out more.

Gift Jeraff
2013-02-28, 03:24 PM
Hmm. So I take it OOTS vampires don't retain the souls of their living selves?

Raineh Daze
2013-02-28, 03:24 PM
Well, Durkon's now truly in a predicament, unless V has somehow managed to get into the area. Malack's fully healed, he's slowly running out of spells, and he can't get backup because of shoddy will saves. :smallconfused:

Hmm. So I take it OOTS vampires don't retain the souls of their living selves?

Where are you getting that from?

Giggling Ghast
2013-02-28, 03:25 PM
I was wondering, is Malack a stealth reference to the old D&D module Tomb of the Lizard King?

Caivs
Nothing beats the excitement of seeing a new comic appear as one wanders on the forum, thank you Giant!

Seems like Tarquin's allies are also skilled in different manners of fighting...Looking forward to seeing what happens next.

Also, good to see Thor hasn't changed

EDIT: Congratulations for your thumb too :)

Quild
Quite drunk from a professional party, checking in subway and... 10 wins in a row! I get a win each time I see an update before a friend xD

Alex Star
V could change the tide of this entire thing. But malaks story about being the last of his tribe might be a troublesome point if it comes out.

Ron Miel
2013-02-28, 03:26 PM
Was the Cure Critical Wounds spell cast on himself or Belkar

mawexzon
2013-02-28, 03:26 PM
Cool. :smallsmile:

stsasser
2013-02-28, 03:27 PM
Oh god, they're getting even faster.

It's the Mayans...a couple of months late!

WalkingTarget
2013-02-28, 03:27 PM

Himself - the two big vertical stab wounds that Belkar inflicted on him are gone in the next panel that you see him in.

Sir_Leorik
2013-02-28, 03:28 PM
Amazing strip! Malack runs off to both heal and to engage Durkon in a war of attrition, while Hel berates Thor for engaging in the running gag about trees!

It seems Malack is not rusty at all, he merely wanted to confront Durkon openly as a token to their crumbling friendship. But now he's decided to stick to the sort of plan Tarquin would recommend, a plan that maximizes his Vampiric gifts, while diminishing Durkon's remaining spells.

And given how low Elan, Belkar and Haley's Will saves are, Durkon can't risk their being dominated by Malack. He has to confront the Vampire himself.

Giant I am eagerly awaiting the next step in the cat-and-mouse game between Durkon and Malack.

mattie_p

I suspect himself.

Dr. Gamera
... who needs an enemy?

Raineh Daze
2013-02-28, 03:29 PM
Hmm, so this raises a few questions about Malack's fighting ability in the previous strip, to me: was it just a lapse in judgement, or a calculated risk to get Durkon to spend spells? In the end, Malack's right about the attrition thing: if it comes to just waiting things out, Fast Healing, Gaseous Form and Damage Reduction give him a lot more survivability in the long run, since he's not completely crippled by running out of spell slots.

Mike Havran
2013-02-28, 03:29 PM
Okay, I admit it now. Malack is totally Evil. And he is also totally awesome.

Edit: On the second thought, let's wait some more :smallsmile:

TRH
2013-02-28, 03:30 PM
V could change the tide of this entire thing. But malaks story about being the last of his tribe might be a troublesome point if it comes out.

This has been coming up again and again since 869 came out, and I can't suppress my curiosity any longer. Why does everyone seem to think that Varsuuvius is going to pop up out of nowhere? I thought it was pretty obvious at the end of 866 that she was in the middle of a serious BSOD and will take a while to get back on his feet. Granted, he'll have to get over it sometime, but until the story cuts back to her (using inconsistent gender pronouns seems appropriate for V) I don't see any reason to assume hir appearance anytime soon.

PrinceOfMadness
Hey, first page!

I'm really liking all the demonstrations of Malack's creepy vampire abilities, and it looks like he's back up to full now - and well prepared for round two. He's now aware of Durkon's Mass Death Ward and racial resistance to poison. He's also got more options than Durkon, particularly when spell slots run dry. And now Durkon's reluctant to raise the rest of the OOTS.

Ellye
V could change the tide of this entire thing.I'm afraid V might have a situational penalty for her Will checks right now. Not someone you'd want battling a Vampire Cleric, if that's the case.

Gaseous Form Malack is fearsome! Those evil eyes! He sounded so very evil.

Sir_Leorik
2013-02-28, 03:31 PM
I was wondering, is Malack a stealth reference to the old D&D module Tomb of the Lizard King?

Malack could be a homage to the villain in that module, who was a Lizard King Vampire Spellcaster (I can't remember if he was a wizard or cleric).

Kaulguard
2013-02-28, 03:32 PM
Well played, Malack. Went about the way the last thread thought.

mawexzon
Awesome Malack is Awesome :smallcool:.

Rui
NOW Durkon is lost. Malack played smart, If I were Durkon I would have ran for my life to the party. Low on spells and low on hp against a vampire? NO SIR.

Raineh Daze
2013-02-28, 03:33 PM
Even if V does show up, the recent change to her spells prepared might present a few issues. Not to mention that, you know, elf wizard in the same room as a vampire cleric (assuming there's no surprise attack) would not end well. Especially not one that isn't protected from negative energy.

Domino Quartz
2013-02-28, 03:34 PM
This comic is awesome! I really like how we get to hear a tiny bit of Malack's backstory, even if we don't get to hear any more.

HandofShadows
2013-02-28, 03:35 PM
This is an interesting fight. Whoever used thier abilities in the best fashion will probably win. Glad the thumb is better. :smallbiggrin:

Snails
Two thumbs up on the creepy gaseous Malack.

I do love the Thor gags.

Psyren
NOW Durkon is lost. Malack played smart, If I were Durkon I would have ran for my life to the party. Low on spells and low on hp against a vampire? NO SIR.

A Vampire Cleric, with at least 6th level spells, no less.

And as if all that weren't bad enough, Durkon is slower than Malack for sure.

mawexzon
Mmmm... From the comment on his past life, I wonder if Malack has Barbarian levels

DaedalusMkV
A comic a day keeps me inordinately delighted. Way to go, Giant!

Shale
2013-02-28, 03:36 PM
Regarding vampires not keeping their mortal souls, Malack says being resurrected would "kill" the person he's become since his vamping. So there must be a sharp dividing line there.

mawexzon
2013-02-28, 03:36 PM
Regarding vampires not keeping their mortal souls, Malack says being resurrected would "kill" the person he's become since his vamping. So there must be a sharp dividing line there.

I thing it refers to the fact that 200 years being a vampire you become a completely different person from who you were before, people change all the time.

Giggling Ghast
2013-02-28, 03:37 PM
Malack could be a homage to the villain in that module, who was a Lizard King Vampire Spellcaster (I can't remember if he was a wizard or cleric).

The vampiric lizard man in question was a wizard. Still, the details need not be exactly the same.

Rui
2013-02-28, 03:37 PM
BTW, I think Malack just used his only harm (I don't think he wanted to kill Durkon, so 1 harm to bring him to 1 hp and accept his surrender is a great way to keep him alive).

Sir_Leorik
2013-02-28, 03:39 PM
Hmm, so this raises a few questions about Malack's fighting ability in the previous strip, to me: was it just a lapse in judgement, or a calculated risk to get Durkon to spend spells? In the end, Malack's right about the attrition thing: if it comes to just waiting things out, Fast Healing, Gaseous Form and Damage Reduction give him a lot more survivability in the long run, since he's not completely crippled by running out of spell slots.

I think Malack wanted an honorable duel, then decided, "screw this, I'm a Vampire!" and switched to guerrilla tactics.

Durkon isn't entirely outmatched: while Malack has bonuses to Hide and Move Silently, neither skill is a class skill for Clerics. Durkon's high Wisdom gives him decent untrained Listen and Spot modifiers, and he might have Detect Undead prepared. But Malack can assume Gaseous Form, Dominate Durkon's allies and summon Bats or Rats more or less at will, while Durkon is going to run out of spells sooner or later. (He's already burned through many high level spells in this encounter!) Durkon is going to be in trouble fast.

(As a side note that has nothing to do with this story, 4E Durkon, from "Snips, Snails & Dragon Tales", would not have this problem. 4E Malack would need to roll recharge checks for his best powers, and Durkon could regain his Encounter Attack and Utility powers by taking a Short Rest. Also 4E Thor would just swat Hel away and snatch up his petitioner's soul. :smallbiggrin: )

Bluepaw
2013-02-28, 03:40 PM
SO STRESSFUL

This post-a-day business is sticking some vampiric fangs of its own in my grad school upkeep.

zimmerwald1915
2013-02-28, 03:40 PM
Even if V does show up, the recent change to her spells prepared might present a few issues.
...what change would that be?

BTW, I think Malack just used his only harm (I don't think he wanted to kill Durkon, so 1 harm to bring him to 1 hp and accept his surrender is a great way to keep him alive).
Malack used harm to heal himself.

Xiander
2013-02-28, 03:41 PM
Yay, I can see it now! :smallbiggrin:

Malack is scary :smalleek:

AutomatedTeller
2013-02-28, 03:41 PM
that was awesome. Malack takes the hit, but is still going. 3 spells down to my vampiric gaze, which doesn't run out - great line.

I hope this turns out like the Roy/Thog fight - Durkon winning in a way that is completely unexpected :)

ThePhantasm
2013-02-28, 03:42 PM

Durkon may be unwilling to abandon Belkar. Remember, Durkon is very loyal to his teammates, and he left the others to fetch Belkar anyways.

super dark33
Somehow I think that Hel is haveing a lovely tea party with all the souls she has, because they are so few.

Dr. Gamera
Heh, "just Roy".

Also, nice callback to Hel's appearance in a previous, more peaceful, Durkon-Malack encounter in OOTS #737 (Comparative Mythology) (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0737.html).

Rui
Malack used harm to heal himself.

I know, that's why I told that he used his one harm. Instead (by plans) to just make Durkon surrender he went totally defensive and cast harm to heal. He also getting short on spells (2 fire strikes, poison, QILW, GDM and harm).

Turgon9357
2013-02-28, 03:45 PM
I hereby cite panel 1 as evidence in favor of the "Malack is a snake thingy" argument.

Tomada
2013-02-28, 03:45 PM
I would suggest magic circle against evil so as to protect the teammates against domination, but Belkar.......

Shale
2013-02-28, 03:46 PM
I thing it refers to the fact that 200 years being a vampire you become a completely different person from who you were before, people change all the time.

Yeah, but it only works if he'd change back if he returned to his mortal self.

Peelee
2013-02-28, 03:46 PM

Actually, an evil cleric can spontaneously swap out any spell on his list for an inflict spell, so as long as he has a spell slot open, he can augment his healing. Also, Harm heals him and hurts pretty much everyone else, so it's a good spell to double or triple up on; I doubt he only prepared one Harm.

DaOldeWolf
2013-02-28, 03:47 PM
So, Malack won round 2, eh?

I must say that the cute lady dwarf deserves a medal for her courage. Fighting an elm is no small deal. :smallbiggrin:

Caex
2013-02-28, 03:47 PM
Awesome. I knew fears of the battle being over too quickly/anticlimactic were not going to bear out. This should be a lot of fun.

Also: THOR!

Agnostik
2013-02-28, 03:48 PM
:durkon: Weak-willed... och, tha describes half tha party.

This line made my day. :smallbiggrin:

Raineh Daze
2013-02-28, 03:48 PM
I hereby cite panel 1 as evidence in favor of the "Malack is a snake thingy" argument.

So, what sort of snake thingies come to mind? Only things I can think of are yuan-ti... and they're exceedingly messed up by the point that would be an option. Yuan-ti vampire cleric would be a bit much, too. :smallconfused:

Mike Havran
2013-02-28, 03:49 PM
I know, that's why I told that he used his one harm. Instead (by plans) to just make Durkon surrender he went totally defensive and cast harm to heal. He also getting short on spells (2 fire strikes, poison, QILW, GDM and harm).

Since Malack might have (and probably has) more than 11 cleric levels, that didn't have to be his last Harm. Anyway, Durkon is shielded against Harm.

Edit: Can Durkon rez Malack when he had been a vampire for more than 200 years?

SaintRidley
SO STRESSFUL

This post-a-day business is sticking some vampiric fangs of its own in my grad school upkeep.

Same boat here.

agnos
Awesome. Exactly the right move.

JosephOrJoe
2013-02-28, 03:50 PM
Gaseous Malack and hanging Malack are both great. Love panel 2 with the surprised look on Durkon's face.

Secris
That was perfect, because I was just reading the older comic where Thor argues with... Heta? Whatever her name is. And then BAM, new comic, and now argument between the two. Great battle, too! Thanks Rich!

Dr. Gamera
The vampiric lizard man in question was a wizard. Still, the details need not be exactly the same.

What is this "wizard" you speak of? Do you refer to a "magic-user"?

(Sorry, sorry, I'm not able to come up with a more clever 1st edition joke. Lest my picayune response tempt anyone to an even more picayune rebuttal, the lizard man in question had not yet achieved a high enough level to earn the Level Title of "Wizard".)

MeanMrsMustard
2013-02-28, 03:51 PM
I absolutely love Belkar's totally blank expression as he attacks Durkon. It really adds to the creepy tone.

Kaulguard
2013-02-28, 03:52 PM
Was the tribe two hundred years ago thing just a random background point, or do we know of anything that happened two hundred years ago that might be relevant? I mean, sometimes a hairstyle is just a hairstyle, but I wondered if anyone knew of anything. Nothing is occurring to me, but that means little.

Anarion
Uh-oh, Giant, you're in grave danger of having Belkar dominated by the Linear Guild turn into a running gag. Now, we just need to find out Malack's favorite show-tune. :smallbiggrin:

Also, I love the art on the gaseous form. Looks really cool.

diamondmx
...what change would that be?

V changed his spell layout to a party-support caster, less on the kill spells, more on the buffs. On the other hand, assuming Durkon is still up (and assuming V does show, something I would bet against - one unexpected interruption is contrived enough to be dramatic, two is just stretching belief) that support casting could easily give the dwarf the advantage.

Rakoa
2013-02-28, 03:53 PM
Excellent comic. I hope this battle is long and amazing.

Shale
2013-02-28, 03:53 PM
So, what sort of snake thingies come to mind? Only things I can think of are yuan-ti... and they're exceedingly messed up by the point that would be an option. Yuan-ti vampire cleric would be a bit much, too. :smallconfused:

Perhaps an "unevolved" lizardfolk (serpentfolk?), owing to his being born/hatched 200-plus years ago?

Raineh Daze
2013-02-28, 03:56 PM
Perhaps an "unevolved" lizardfolk (serpentfolk?), owing to his being born/hatched 200-plus years ago?

Snakes started off as lizards or something, some still have vestigial leg bones and the like. :smallbiggrin:

Rui
Probably went wrong in my other comments, I know very little of 3.5 clerics (as the one that always play the wizard).
That battle is going to be awesome. And another day looking forward to the update with a little hope that this won't happen so we can get another 9 strip-a-day bonus.

Themrys
So, Malack won round 2, eh?

I must say that the cute lady dwarf deserves a medal for her courage. Fighting an elm is no small deal. :smallbiggrin:

Actually, I was surprised the dwarf is female. I wonder why; I really shouldn't be. :smalleek:
That wouldn't have happened to Vaarsuvius.

Dr. Gamera
2013-02-28, 03:57 PM
Just noticed that Malack has vampirically dominating eyes in the sixth panel.

t209
2013-02-28, 03:58 PM
I kinda laugh at Dwarf's fear of tree stereotypes in OOTS.

Gift Jeraff
2013-02-28, 04:00 PM
Maybe Durkon could snap Malack's staff in half and use it as a stake? Would that work?

mawexzon
2013-02-28, 04:01 PM
Just noticed that Malack has vampirically dominating eyes in the sixth panel.

I found that really creepy.

Raineh Daze
Maybe Durkon could snap Malack's staff in half and use it as a stake? Would that work?

The staff probably has too much HP for that.

Cuthalion
Not good. I love the last panel, though.

Turgon9357
2013-02-28, 04:02 PM

If the rules don't allow for something like that, Rule of Cool would most definitely override them here.

zimmerwald1915
2013-02-28, 04:02 PM
V changed his spell layout to a party-support caster, less on the kill spells, more on the buffs. On the other hand, assuming Durkon is still up (and assuming V does show, something I would bet against - one unexpected interruption is contrived enough to be dramatic, two is just stretching belief) that support casting could easily give the dwarf the advantage.
She really didn't. In the very comic where she said she did, she busted out a level 6 blasting spell, and in her fight with Zz'dtri she fell back on an empowered fireball within a few rounds.

Winter
2013-02-28, 04:04 PM
Pretty nice how the fight plays out. Let's see how Durkon reacts when he runs low on his resources.
Now that he froze Belkar again, he cannot even flee and leave him behind...

mhensley
2013-02-28, 04:05 PM
I failed my Knowledge: Norse Mythology check. Could someone explain the Thor joke at the end to me? :smallconfused:

Gazebo's Bane
Hi. Long time admirer; first time poster here. I just registered to, erm, register how much I'm enjoying the way the strip is developing.

Also: dramatic cleric fight is dramatic, and yet time for philosophical discussion of personal identity in the middle of it. Outstanding.

Raineh Daze
Hmm.

Honestly, I can't say that V's showing up would do any good if Malack isn't OH-KOed, since what does that lead to? A wizard (d4 HD) who is also an elf (-2 to CON) and has negligible defences against the physical in the same room as something that can turn to gas. Also, no protection against negative energy, unlike the other two.

Sir_Leorik
Was the tribe two hundred years ago thing just a random background point, or do we know of anything that happened two hundred years ago that might be relevant? I mean, sometimes a hairstyle is just a hairstyle, but I wondered if anyone knew of anything. Nothing is occurring to me, but that means little.

Its probably nothing more than backstory: Once upon a time there was a tribe of Lizard-folk barbarians. They had a shaman whose name is lost to history. He became a Vampire. As many Vampires do, he adopted the name "Malack". At some point the tribe of Lizard-folk barbarians Malack belonged to was wiped out, probably due to the eternal conflict of the Western Continent. (The bards who tell this tale are unclear if this occurred before or after Malack was sired.)

At some point after losing his tribe, Malack converted to the worship of Nergal and Ereshkigal. (Or he may have been a Cleric of Nergal while still alive, and the term Shaman was just an honorific. The bards disagree on this detail of the story too.) Malack became an adventurer for hire, but he was frustrated by the lack of challenge the opponents he faced rated. (At this point of telling the tale, many bards get pelted with pistachio shells for this atrocious Challenge Rating pun.)

One day Malack encountered a Human fighter from the Northern Continent named Tarquin. Tarquin, smarting from losing custody of one his twin sons in a messy divorce, had journeyed to the Western Continent to try to seize power in a kingdom. He succeeded, only to flee in shame with his son Nale months later.

Today Malack is a minister serving the glorious Empress of Blood. All hail the Empress of Blood! May her Empire grow as prosperous as she has grown in girth! (At this point the secret police show up and arrest the bards for spreading slander about Minister Malack being a Vampire. Everyone else in the tavern is arrested for treason and sold into slavery.) The End.

Feddlefew
2013-02-28, 04:06 PM

It's a staff that makes undead- Durkon and the other living beings in the room may be protected from an explosion of negative energy, but who knows what else might happen?

Raineh Daze
2013-02-28, 04:07 PM
One day Malack encountered a Human fighter from the Northern Continent named Tarquin. Tarquin, smarting from losing custody of one his twin sons in a messy divorce, had journeyed to the Western Continent to try to seize power in a kingdom. He succeeded, only to flee in shame with his son Nale months later.

They knew each other for ten years prior to that. :smalltongue:

Twilight Jack
2013-02-28, 04:07 PM
She really didn't. In the very comic where she said she did, she busted out a level 6 blasting spell, and in her fight with Zz'dtri she fell back on an empowered fireball within a few rounds.

V has changed up her approach significantly, but she is still an Evoker, after all. She is pretty much bound to carry a full compliment of blasting spells where ever she goes. There just isn't enough non-blasty evocation out there to allow for anything less.

Giggling Ghast
2013-02-28, 04:08 PM
What is this "wizard" you speak of? Do you refer to a "magic-user"?

(Sorry, sorry, I'm not able to come up with a more clever 1st edition joke. Lest my picayune response tempt anyone to an even more picayune rebuttal, the lizard man in question had not yet achieved a high enough level to earn the Level Title of "Wizard".)

Ah yes, "magic-user." I forgot my antiquated 1E lingo.

zimmerwald1915
2013-02-28, 04:09 PM
V has changed up her approach significantly, but she is still an Evoker, after all. She is pretty much bound to carry a full compliment of blasting spells where ever she goes. There just isn't enough non-blasty evocation out there to allow for anything less.
Which comes to the same thing: there's no reason to believe V isn't carrying around a bunch of blasty spells.

Koo Rehtorb
2013-02-28, 04:09 PM
While I was entirely expecting the whole dominating gaze thing I was expecting it to be the finishing blow in Malack beating Durkon.

Now that it's already been played without a victor I don't know who to expect winning. Hurry up next comic please!

Vectner
2013-02-28, 04:11 PM
Thor jokes are getting old. I'm sure he must occasionally be competent. I'm pretty sure Durkon is in trouble.

Dienekes
2013-02-28, 04:12 PM
I failed my Knowledge: Norse Mythology check. Could someone explain the Thor joke at the end to me? :smallconfused:

Read this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0737.html) comic.

Anyway, cool strip. But it is weird that my first thought when seeing upside-down Malack was, "How does his robe stay straight?"

Sir_Leorik
2013-02-28, 04:12 PM

The last panel features Hel (aka Hela) the Norse goddess of the underworld, arguing with Thor over the soul of a female dwarf. Each wants to claim the Dwarf as a petitioner. According to Norse mythology, the heroic dead were escorted by Valkyries to Valhalla, a mead hall where they would feast, drink and practice fighting until Ragnarok, when Odin would summon them to battle. Those who died the "straw death", from disease, old age or murder, were condemened to Nifleheim, ruled by Hel for eternity.

The Dwarves follow this rule, but they have an unusual standard for determining who died a heroic death, as seen in strip No. 737 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0737.html). In today's strip Hel and Thor are arguing again, though Hel is less likely to give in this time. As a result Thor is unable to pay attention to Durkon's prayer. :smallwink:

luc258
2013-02-28, 04:13 PM
I expected a spell-combo that really hurts Durkon, but I did not expect some kind of war of attrition. Nice surprise.

Twilight Jack
Which comes to the same thing: there's no reason to believe V isn't carrying around a bunch of blasty spells.

Too true. :smallsmile:

GSFB
V may also have any number of scrolls, wands, etc., in addition to prepared spells.

However, Malack also likely has any number of powerful magic items to protect against fire, etc.

Although - I am curious why a high enough level Cleric to create a spell powerful enough to protect a vampire from the sun AND with the resources of a top government minister didn't already make a wondrous item to keep that protection 24/7 instead of relying on casting it daily...

Sir_Leorik
2013-02-28, 04:14 PM
They knew each other for ten years prior to that. :smalltongue:

Well if the secret police would stop arresting the bards who tell the story for slander and the audiences for treason I'd have been more likely to remember that fact! :smallamused:

SavageWombat
2013-02-28, 04:14 PM
Another over-the-shoulder viewpoint shot. Is this just rule-of-cool, or does Rich want us to be sure we know where the combatants are standing?

Note that, if I read correctly, Malack is now between Durkon and the rest of the party...

Mister Non PC
2013-02-28, 04:15 PM
Well, the rest of the party should be along any moment now. They know Durkon went to fetch Belkar but he's been gone for 6 or seven comics by now. Haley has had time to either disarm the door, or extricate herself from it. Roy is unlikely to simply wait for Durkon and Belkar to come back.

Tarquin and Nale will soon tire of waiting on Malack so they might be coming down too.

Doug Lampert
2013-02-28, 04:16 PM

One thing is it means Durkon CAN NOT resurrect Malack as he suggested he wanted to do. The limit on time since death for a resurrect is ten years per caster level, and Durkon is only about level 15 or so.

What part confuses you? The Norse had two afterlives available, if you died bravely in battle you went to live with the gods in Vallhalla and fought every day and then rose from the dead if you were killed to feast every night.

If you died of anything else or if the Valkaries didn't choose you for some other reason then you went to serve the Goddess Hel in her afterlife. Which was less pleasant. Hel being one of Loki's daughters, she's on the side of Loki and his family when they get sick of the rest of the gods and take them all on at once with help from various giants.

Either way, at Ragnorock you got to be cannon fodder for whichever side had grabbed you and you then die permanently.

This means that to norse myth it's important whether you died in battle or not. It's a running gag in OoTS that the dwarves think they are at war with trees. Hel is pointing out that you CAN'T die bravely in battle with an inanimate tree and thus she's one of Hel's souls. Thor is insisting that she died bravely and he should get her.

Note that actual Norse myth seems to have taken dying of an infected wound as NOT dying in battle, so she'd be Hel's either way if Rich were taking the Norse myths seriously.

Dr. Gamera
2013-02-28, 04:18 PM
Even if V does show up, the recent change to her spells prepared might present a few issues.

If not, at least now Vaarsuvius can get back to enjoying a glass of whine in peace and quiet, without being called on to intervene in someone else's problems.

:durkon: Git away from me, ye daft fool! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0385.html)

(Interesting contrast: In that strip, Durkon didn't cast Hold Person on a magically turncoat Belkar, even though we would later discover that he had it prepared (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0398.html). Of course, there's a lot that's different about the two magically-turncoat-Belkar situations too.)

stsasser
2013-02-28, 04:18 PM

Anyway, cool strip. But it is weird that my first thought when seeing upside-down Malack was, "How does his robe stay straight?"

Vampire Charisma.

Xelbiuj
2013-02-28, 04:19 PM
It's time Durkon allies himself with old enemies.
He needs a pointy stick. :D

Great comic. Took my a minute to realize he went gaseous form on his own, was wondering why he was able to rest without his coffin.

Really loving the art (which only works so well in the context of stick art)

Also, do I really* have to be the one to point out the karma of Belkar being mind enslaved?
Yukyuk anyone?

Querzis
2013-02-28, 04:20 PM

Yeah but Malack whole point is that if they both run out of spells, he win the fight easely. And hes right, Durkon normal strike probably dont even get past Malack DR.

ThePhantasm
2013-02-28, 04:21 PM

Robes stay straight in the creepy old Dracula movies and stuff too, when he is upside-down. It actually makes it even more surreal and disturbing.

Twilight Jack
2013-02-28, 04:22 PM
I expected a spell-combo that really hurts Durkon, but I did not expect some kind of war of attrition. Nice surprise.

NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!!

Our chief weapon is surprise, surprise and fe. . .

Oh wait, I'm sorry, did you say "Spanish Inquisition" or "war of attrition"?

Well, bugger. Terribly sorry. Carry on.

Xelbiuj
2013-02-28, 04:22 PM
Yeah but Malack whole point is that if they both run out of spells, he win the fight easely. And hes right, Durkon normal strike probably dont even get past Malack DR.

But Belkar's head does? :smallamused:

spruce56
2013-02-28, 04:23 PM
I don't know the rules for vampires, but for a moment there I thought Mr Scruffy would provide a useful circumstance bonus for breaking the domination/charm/whatever it is.

Quickest reprieve from Hold Person :smallbiggrin:

Starbuck_II
2013-02-28, 04:24 PM
I would suggest magic circle against evil so as to protect the teammates against domination, but Belkar.......

Don't worry, Belkar would still be protected, it suppresses any current domination/charm.

Rui
2013-02-28, 04:24 PM

So his a goner without the rest of the party. Let him just pray that Tarquin won't come back (and I don't think so, they rode on the flying dinosaur).

Surfing HalfOrc
2013-02-28, 04:27 PM
Wow! Just, WOW! This strip os so full of AWESOME, my head's about to EXPLODE trying to contain it!

And the Daily Schedule? Please Rich! Don't spoil us!

SaintRidley
2013-02-28, 04:29 PM
But Belkar's head does? :smallamused:

Belkar's stats as an improvised weapon are probably better than his daggers.

Rakoa
2013-02-28, 04:30 PM
I'm predicting that this battle will progress eventually until Durkon and Malack are very near the outside of the dungeon, and Durkon will dispel Malack's sun protection and Spartan Kick him outside to his death.

TheTeaMustFlow
2013-02-28, 04:30 PM
Lizgreaper, you are officially awesome. In both senses of the word.

Also, I must say that I am truly impressed with how fast this comic went up.

sam79
2013-02-28, 04:36 PM
Another great strip, which again turns the tables on the apparent victor in the previous one. Was really hoping Durkon would nail him, but now I'm kind of worried for our favourite Dwarf cleric. If only, instead of "surrender Malack", he'd said "cure serious wounds". Oh well.

Good to see Thor again too!

EDIT:

I'm predicting that this battle will progress eventually until Durkon and Malack are very near the outside of the dungeon, and Durkon will dispel Malack's sun protection and Spartan Kick him outside to his death.

That's...a pretty damn good shout, I reckon. Dispel Magic, Thor's Might, drop kick the lizard through the door/wall.

Shale
2013-02-28, 04:37 PM

Oooh, that's definitely a possibility. Seeing as:

(a) Malack's protection from sunlight is due to a non-permanent spell cast by him.
(b) Durkon's dispel check is better than Malack's.

It'd be a pretty great scene, too.

SteveDJ
2013-02-28, 04:39 PM
Another over-the-shoulder viewpoint shot. Is this just rule-of-cool, or does Rich want us to be sure we know where the combatants are standing?

Note that, if I read correctly, Malack is now between Durkon and the rest of the party...

And in this case, I think the viewpoint in frame 6 is to show that just as Durkon unfreezes Belkar, you can see that Belkar can now see Malak - thus allowing the Vampiric Gaze to take effect.

I will also add that at least Belkar gets to keep his mouth closed now for this new period of being Held. :smallbiggrin:

Xelbiuj
2013-02-28, 04:44 PM
And in this case, I think the viewpoint in frame 6 is to show that just as Durkon unfreezes Belkar, you can see that Belkar can now see Malak - thus allowing the Vampiric Gaze to take effect.

I will also add that at least Belkar gets to keep his mouth closed now for this new period of being Held. :smallbiggrin:

Surprising he could make a spot check at that distance against a partially concealed target lol.

Ahhh rules jokes.

Gazebo's Bane
2013-02-28, 04:46 PM
Belkar's stats as an improvised weapon are probably better than his daggers.

He probably weighs between 26 and 50lb so he'd do 2d6 as an improvised weapon. 3d6 if you consider him 'pointy' :smallsmile:

gorocz
2013-02-28, 04:47 PM
Now that's where the Level Adjustment pays up. 3 2nd level spell slots and 1 4th level spell slot wasted thanks to a class feature. Also, as someone has pointed before, if V turned up now, there could be a penalty on V's will check thanks to the emotional distress...

EccentricFellow
2013-02-28, 04:50 PM
Another excellent development. I like the way this is playing out, battle and tactics and now a little dilemma for Durkon. The battle of Roy v Thog was a good one but this one is, I think, even better because it feels like there is more subtlely here. More nuance in every action/reaction.

Plus I am certain the Giant has something sneaky planned.

Stormlock
2013-02-28, 04:58 PM
Yeah I'm enjoying this fight more than any since Darth V. Logic/tactics aside, the atmosphere and symbolism of everything has been fantastic.

DaOldeWolf
2013-02-28, 04:59 PM
Actually, I was surprised the dwarf is female. I wonder why; I really shouldn't be. :smalleek:
That wouldn't have happened to Vaarsuvius.

It probably has to do with how uncommon it is to see a female dwarf or identify them.

ReaderAt2046
2013-02-28, 05:00 PM
1. And the initiative swings back to Malack again! Very clever use of the Dominating Gaze attack, forcing Durkon to burn two Cure spells and two spells that could become Cure spells. I'm surprised Malack used Harm, though. His fast-healing could do most of his healing needs with even a few rounds to work with, so he could probably make do with IMW or even ILW. Then again, maybe he wanted to have a full hp load ASAP.

2. That last panel is so funny!

3. I also like Mr. Scruffy's expression in Panel 7 (funny) and the Gaseous Malack image (cool/creepy).

4. I think we're getting spoiled by getting a great comic every day.

Kurald Galain
2013-02-28, 05:01 PM
Durkon is being stupid. Good comic, bad dwarf.

AntiMatter101
2013-02-28, 05:01 PM
Aww, I was counting on belkar to do the last minute field goal (http://http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0613.html) again, but he's back under the paralysis...

Looks like that job now falls to V. Don't screw it up, V!

Rakoa
2013-02-28, 05:03 PM

I forgot to mention before posting this that I would be sad to see Malack go, but if it had to happen this is how I would want it.

SteveDJ
2013-02-28, 05:06 PM
Durkon is being stupid. Good comic, bad dwarf.

Funny how some people were complaining that Malak was being stupid in the last strip... don't be too quick to judgement just yet... :smallwink:

Burner28
2013-02-28, 05:08 PM
Awesome strip.

Gorky
2013-02-28, 05:10 PM
I must say that this is completely awesome. I cannot believe how good the strip is now.

Dr. Gamera
2013-02-28, 05:11 PM
How Durkon refers to the rest of the Order of the Stick in the penultimate panel is a deep expression of a side of his character that hasn't been emphasized for a while.

:durkon:
I cannae risk any o' em gettin' dominated or vamped... Thor, if 'n ye have any ideas on how ta beat this vampire by meself witout losin' any o' me friends, I'm listenin'.

SavageWombat
2013-02-28, 05:15 PM
First one combatant is ahead, then the other - classic rule for drama.

So for the next strip - either Durkon takes the lead again, or something changes the battlefield completely.

I think it's time for the second option.

Silakka
Well, the rest of the party should be along any moment now. They know Durkon went to fetch Belkar but he's been gone for 6 or seven comics by now. Haley has had time to either disarm the door, or extricate herself from it. Roy is unlikely to simply wait for Durkon and Belkar to come back.

Tarquin and Nale will soon tire of waiting on Malack so they might be coming down too. Well, we don't really know how much time has passed in those 6-7 comics. In terms of combat, it's been a bit over 10 turns of Belkar vs. Malack and Durkon vs. Malack & Belkar, so that's just over one minute. How long the Malack monologue and his discussions with Belkar and Durkon have taken, we have no idea, but all in all I think Durkon has been away for like a few minutes. It could still be a while before the rest of the group gets there.

Then again, they'll get there when it's appropriate for the story ;)

Leewei
How Durkon refers to the rest of the Order of the Stick in the penultimate panel is a deep expression of a side of his character that hasn't been emphasized for a while.

I cannae risk any o' em gettin' dominated or vamped... Thor, if 'n ye have any ideas on how ta beat this vampire by meself witout losin' any o' me friends, I'm listenin'.

Magic circle against evil, holy aura, or protection from evil.

Any of those will prevent ongoing control such as a vampire's domination attack.

danielmayer
2013-02-28, 05:16 PM
Yeeeeeeaaaaaaah! Thor's back!!!!! I waited for him in many, many strips!
Finally some old-school comedy from/about Durkon :)
I'm so happy! Thanks Giant!
- still anxious about the outcome of the fight...

SteveDJ
2013-02-28, 05:16 PM

Hmmm, could the answer be: "Sacrifice yourself?" Solves some prediction issues, at least.

Question for all you D&D gurus... previous threads discussed that when someone is converted to a Vampire, they are under the control of said Master until they are 'released'. My question is: Could such "release" be imposed before completing the conversion? That is, if Durkon did indeed sacrifice himself, could he make the condition that he has to be a free-willed vampire before allowing himself to be turned into one?

Stormlock
2013-02-28, 05:20 PM

Any of those will prevent ongoing control such as a vampire's domination attack.

Can evil characters benefit from the effects of a protection from evil spell? Would seem odd for that to be the case.

Mutant Sheep
2013-02-28, 05:20 PM
Gotta love Malack hanging side down.:smallbiggrin: Vampire lizards play strange bats.:smallamused:

Starbuck_II
2013-02-28, 05:23 PM
Can evil characters benefit from the effects of a protection from evil spell? Would seem odd for that to be the case.

Yep, they can. Evil fights evil just like good fight evil.
Protection from good, however, is usualy only used by evil.

Shale
2013-02-28, 05:24 PM
It would have come in handy against Miko!

TheYell
2013-02-28, 05:26 PM
Awesome fight!

Also very suprising that Durkon shut down Belkar so quickly. Maybe he thought that through a long time ago... :smallsmile:

Shale
2013-02-28, 05:30 PM
Now I'm wondering what Durkon prepared in his first-level spell slots that he doesn't seem to have a single shot of Protection From Evil (since he defaults to Hold Person on Belkar and doesn't consider it as an option to protect the party).

Deuce
2013-02-28, 05:33 PM
What's the casting time on a "Raise Dead" and what effect would that have on a Vampire that hasn't been "re-killed"?

Feddlefew
Malack might have just changed plans from "Kill Durkon" to "Turn Durkon". :smalleek:

(Assuming that wasn't his original intention anyway.)

Malack apparently finds Durkon's offer to resurrect him just as abhorrent an idea as Durkon finds turning living beings into vampires. So Malack could be waiting until Durkon has burned through his spells before returning to biting range...

Cyllan
Hmm. I've been rooting for Malack in this fight, but I like Durkon and can respect his morals. But I really don't want Malack to end here. The Western Continent arc has been my favorite in the entire comic, and I want the events and characters (namely, Tarquin and Malack) introduced in it to play a big role in the grand scheme of the comic and be explored in more depth. And if either of them are going to die in the comic (which is likely, considering they're both villains), I hope they at least have dignified ends. (Not rofl stomped by Xykon as I've seen some people suggest in the past. Blech.)

Anyway, I'm getting off track. What I want to happen in this battle is either it ending in a draw (or at least with neither dying/being destroyed) and Malack leaving to rejoin Tarquin, or possibly with Durkon being turned into a vampire (that could take the story and Durkon's character to interesting places).

Raineh Daze
2013-02-28, 05:38 PM
What's the casting time on a "Raise Dead" and what effect would that have on a Vampire that hasn't been "re-killed"?

Irrelevant; it wouldn't do anything. As Durkon was suggesting, Resurrection on a destroyed vampire is necessary.

goodyarn
2013-02-28, 05:39 PM
Just wanna say thanks for all the new strips, Giant. It feels like Christmas.

SteveDJ
Also, I wrote a News post about my thumb's progress.

So, it is totally wrong of me to be hoping "...I hope he fails at 8... I hope he fails at 8..." :smallwink:

SaintRidley

1 minute and zero effect on undead creatures, ambulatory or destroyed.

Commander672
I'm a bit confused about this "War of Attrition" Thing. Because didn't Malack just use a bunch of spells as well as Durkon? And what's this Vampiric Gaze? When did he use that?

luc258
2013-02-28, 05:41 PM
"It works only on the weak willed"

Elan probably falls into this category
Roy does not, sice Durkon would like him here
Belkar seems to fall to every hold/charm spell or ability

But how would Haley do? Especially since she has (or at least used to have) silver arrows.

Wizard
2013-02-28, 05:42 PM
I'm just loving the update speed right now.

Good comic, as always.

luc258
2013-02-28, 05:42 PM
I'm a bit confused about this "War of Attrition" Thing. Because didn't Malack just use a bunch of spells as well as Durkon? And what's this Vampiric Gaze? When did he use that?

Durkon used a lot more spells than Malack as a result of his vampiric gaze.
He does it while hanging from the ceiling in that dark corridor.

Shale
2013-02-28, 05:44 PM
If you meet a vampire's gaze, you must succeed on a Will save or fall under his complete mental control (assuming he chooses to use the power). It's not a spell, he doesn't have to declare it, and there is no limit on how many times it can be used per day. Durkon wasted three spells because of the gaze - Remove Paralysis, Hold Person and Cure Critical Wounds. Meanwhile, the exchange didn't cost Malack anything he can't do a thousand times in an hour if he wants.

glissle
2013-02-28, 05:44 PM
It also refers to losing the mental stat boosts. Personally, I would be very reluctant to give up a boost to my wisdom, intelligence and charisma.

This also helps explain why he would see Belkar as a suitable child - he likes the idea of lifting up a barbarian with vampire stat boosts, and Belkar revealed that he had barbarian levels when he shouted his attack.

SteveDJ
2013-02-28, 05:45 PM
So, some people are hoping that V makes an appearance ... to save the day.

Well, let's suppose that V does indeed appear... with Red Squiggly Eyes! Bwa ha ha ha!

(...hey, it could happen...)

Adeptus
2013-02-28, 05:46 PM
Belkar would have had a chance to shine, but alas his horrible will-save means he is just one more threat for poor Durkon.

The suspense! It burns!

Peelee
2013-02-28, 05:46 PM

Vampiric Gaze is first seen used in panel 6 - Malack's eyes are all red and wonky, and it's an over-the-shoulder shot of Belkar, indicating that Belkar can see it (and thus can potentially by affected by it).

The effect itself works as Dominate Person:

You can control the actions of any humanoid creature through a telepathic link that you establish with the subject’s mind.

If you and the subject have a common language, you can generally force the subject to perform as you desire, within the limits of its abilities. If no common language exists, you can communicate only basic commands, such as “Come here,” “Go there,” “Fight,” and “Stand still.” You know what the subject is experiencing, but you do not receive direct sensory input from it, nor can it communicate with you telepathically

The "War of Attrition" is that Malack's use of Vampiric Gaze (which is unlimited) has forced Durkon to use two extra spells - Hold Person and Cure Critical Wounds - while still not having access to any help from Belkar. Malack only started the war of attrition after the Heal spell. He is wearing down Durkon's spells, as once Durkon can no longer cast anything, Malack can win in a straight fight.

SlashDash
2013-02-28, 05:49 PM
This just gets better and better :)

Sorry, haven't read the whole thread, but if I'd have to bet...

I'm guessing that the earlier comment on Mr.Scruffy being protected by the death ward will come into effect. And I don't think that V or anyone else would show up due to Durkon's last sentence...

Hmmm...

Is it possible Mr. Scruffy would jump (or Durkon would throw him) on Mallack to block his line of sight so that Belkar would not fall for his gaze?
It could give Durkon enough time to get away to step outside the 30 feet range of the domination. Then possibly cast some buff on Belkar?

Adeptus
2013-02-28, 05:49 PM
the exchange didn't cost Malack anything he can't do a thousand times in an hour if he wants.
No he can't, there's only 600 battle rounds in an hour :vaarsuvius:

Needle
2013-02-28, 05:50 PM
Although - I am curious why a high enough level Cleric to create a spell powerful enough to protect a vampire from the sun AND with the resources of a top government minister didn't already make a wondrous item to keep that protection 24/7 instead of relying on casting it daily...

Clearly he considers the item slot more important, it's not that rare for it to be the case, neither in actual play nor in OotS, where Xykon maybe casts Overland Flight each morning (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0442.html) despite being the highest level caster we know (and we know he crafts items (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0543.html) as the protection from fire (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0653.html) thingie he used against V). Maybe he now has that item, but who knows, either way it makes things more interesting as Dispel Magic would ruin him, but... V usually prepares that, not Durkon :smalltongue:

Second, I'm clearly delighted at the pace, not wanting to think too much on outcomes :smallredface: as well as pretty happy to read a thumb update, hoping there's no stop on its recovery from now on :smallbiggrin:

Raineh Daze
2013-02-28, 05:50 PM
If you meet a vampire's gaze, you must succeed on a Will save or fall under his complete mental control (assuming he chooses to use the power). It's not a spell, he doesn't have to declare it, and there is no limit on how many times it can be used per day. Durkon wasted three spells because of the gaze - Remove Paralysis, Hold Person and Cure Critical Wounds. Meanwhile, the exchange didn't cost Malack anything he can't do a thousand times in an hour if he wants.

Four. There's a 'Cure Moderate Wounds' in there, too.

Brom
2013-02-28, 05:51 PM
Aha! THERE it is! That's what I was wondering about, and now Malak finally shows the cunning he's displayed in a tactical use.

Insidious. Most insidious. We'll see how this works out for Malak; I'd lend credence to the 'spartan kick outside the temple,' idea...though I half wonder, given the rationality of it, if Malak doesn't actually own a crafted protection from sunlight item, either as a redundancy or as a mislead to make enemies think they can dispel his protection to kill him. Normally I wouldn't be so...conspiratorial? yet Tarquin and his ilk DO love their lies.

Also, the prophecy about Durkon dying and visiting ruin on his homeland makes me think we might not just see the hero win. And this leaves plenty of room for the battle of wits and philosophy, for symbolism and drama.

I'm not sure if I can think of what could have made this strip more exciting =D

Shale
2013-02-28, 05:51 PM
the CCW got rid of both stab wounds - the CMW would be to deal with injuries from Flame Strike, which makes that a one-for-one exchange of spells.

Roland Itiative
2013-02-28, 05:53 PM
Question for all you D&D gurus... previous threads discussed that when someone is converted to a Vampire, they are under the control of said Master until they are 'released'. My question is: Could such "release" be imposed before completing the conversion? That is, if Durkon did indeed sacrifice himself, could he make the condition that he has to be a free-willed vampire before allowing himself to be turned into one?
Not really. The only way, according to RAW, for a vampire to be born free is if their master already has a number of vampire "slaves" that fills their limit (which we know not to be the case, as Malack currently has no vampiric offspring). Otherwise, he will be turned as a slave, and only Malack would be able to free him (either willingly, or dying).

Anyway, great comic, again. Absolutely loving this fight. I wonder if Malack's origins are a hint at some future development...

Peelee
2013-02-28, 05:53 PM
Four. There's a 'Cure Moderate Wounds' in there, too.

Durkon was already damaged beforehand. He could have cast a Cure regardless to beef himself back up

Pokonic
2013-02-28, 06:00 PM
Dat update pace.

Anyway, nice fighty strip.

Adeptus
2013-02-28, 06:04 PM
The gaze has a range of only 30 feet? Nine meters... that is nothing. Malach is risking getting annihilated by a second blast of lightning, or just rushed if Durkon had spotted him moogling from the corridor.

LordofNaught
2013-02-28, 06:06 PM
Well this fight is starting to get a little creepy. And more awesome! Thank you increased budget.

Raineh Daze
2013-02-28, 06:07 PM
The gaze has a range of only 30 feet? Nine meters... that is nothing. Malach is risking getting annihilated by a second blast of lightning, or just rushed if Durkon had spotted him moogling from the corridor.

He's back to full health, if Durkon even has one of them prepared.

Feddlefew
2013-02-28, 06:09 PM
Not really. The only way, according to RAW, for a vampire to be born free is if their master already has a number of vampire "slaves" that fills their limit (which we know not to be the case, as Malack currently has no vampiric offspring). Otherwise, he will be turned as a slave, and only Malack would be able to free him (either willingly, or dying).

Anyway, great comic, again. Absolutely loving this fight. I wonder if Malack's origins are a hint at some future development...

Well, since the vampire's new child-vampire or spawn takes at least 24 hours to "wake up" if slain by energy drain, it's possible that the parent-vampire could be destroyed before then, creating a free vampire.

TaiLiu
2013-02-28, 06:11 PM

Durkon's a Dwarf; he only has a twenty feet move speed.

TitusDrakeson
2013-02-28, 06:13 PM
So I'm fairly certain that Malak counts as having been dead for 200 years. But I can't seem to find any specific rule that says that anybody know where i could find that rule?

Tulya
2013-02-28, 06:13 PM
I can appreciate reflexively disabling a deadly threat rather than acting on the indirect threat - the domination - especially with Belkar involved. Plus, the fluff of Protection from X is dissonant with the mechanics in this kind of usage - it seems rather awkward to try to ward an unwilling creature by tracing a 3 foot diameter circle of powdered silver around them as a standard action.

Balance
2013-02-28, 06:28 PM
Durkon does have a defense that I think is being overlooked. Vampires can be repelled with a strongly presented holy symbol (or a mirror, but it's the holy symbol that's relevant here). This is distinct from Turn Undead, has different effects, and requires no roll to take effect.

These things don’t harm the vampire—they merely keep it at bay. A recoiling vampire must stay at least 5 feet away from a creature holding the mirror or holy symbol and cannot touch or make melee attacks against the creature holding the item for the rest of the encounter. Holding a vampire at bay takes a standard action.
This should enable Durkon to neutralize any melee threat from Malack.

Also, a casting of Owl's Wisdom should give Belkar another save against Malack's domination, right? It would also counter his negative modifier on the save (since it's known to increase his Wisdom enough to cast spells (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0058.html)), and probably give him a bonus. It's only a 2nd level spell; Durkon could have it prepared.

Mr. Pants
2013-02-28, 06:31 PM
Shame that Durkon probably can't cast his Holy spell again...that would rather helpful considering who he's dealing with...:smallfrown:

Once a Fool
2013-02-28, 06:33 PM
Durkon is going to die. Very soon. It is heavily foreshadowed.

The last frame calls our attention to this strip (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0737.html), which also has this gem of a conversation:

If the power of Death were truly Evil, it would take only the pure and heroic, wouldn't it?

Aye, well, after awhile, it starts to seem like tha's exactly the case. Only tha Good die fer good, they say.

The Pilgrim
2013-02-28, 06:45 PM
Belkar, showing once more that he is more a liability than an asset.

Kazyan
2013-02-28, 06:47 PM
We're going to have another "Spirit of St. Louis" scenario, aren't we...

Clistenes
2013-02-28, 06:50 PM
So, in the Stickverse, if you destroy an undead and then cast Raise or Resurrection on its remains, he becomes the person he was before being turned into an undead...interesting. That is an issue that is always confusing and every DM tend to homebrew it the way it is most convenient for his/her own plot.

By the way, it seems that Redcloak is right: Undead aren't the same people they were, or even persons, they are kind of spell effects that imitate life using dead corpses, otherwise it wouldn't make sense that Malack would lose all his memories and experience and revert to his primitive personality.

SoC175
2013-02-28, 06:51 PM
otherwise it wouldn't make sense that Malack would lose all his memories and experience and revert to his primitive personality.I don't think that's what Malak means

rewinn
2013-02-28, 06:52 PM
Most of the time when Durkon sends a request, Thor is unavailable due to goofing off.
At least this time, Thor is busy with something important. Story-wise, it is still humorous but doesn't break the mood.

I have no idea how Durkon will get out of this one, without outside help. If Malack decides to start summoning vermin, it could get quite messy ... but it would give Mr. Scruffy a chance to strut his stuff!

Feddlefew
2013-02-28, 06:55 PM
By the way, it seems that Redcloak is right: Undead aren't the same people they were, or even persons, they are kind of spell effects that imitate life using dead corpses, otherwise it wouldn't make sense that Malack would lose all his memories and experience and revert to his primitive personality.

Wait wait wait- So the fact that removing a supernatural template will take away a sizable chunk of a character's mental stats means they're not a person? Does that even make sense?:smallconfused:

Edit: Reworded a bit

Snails
2013-02-28, 06:55 PM
But how would Haley do? Especially since she has (or at least used to have) silver arrows.

Having probably >13 level of Rogue, she could have some nice goodies like:

Slippery Mind (Ex)
This ability represents the rogue’s ability to wriggle free from magical effects that would otherwise control or compel her. If a rogue with slippery mind is affected by an enchantment spell or effect and fails her saving throw, she can attempt it again 1 round later at the same DC. She gets only this one extra chance to succeed on her saving throw.

Snails
2013-02-28, 06:58 PM
Thor jokes are getting old. I'm sure he must occasionally be competent. I'm pretty sure Durkon is in trouble.

Writing for gods is problematic. They have to be MORE MORE MORE than any mortal. In the OotSverse more funny is a reasonable choice.

Oscaver
2013-02-28, 06:59 PM
next up: the prequel story of Malcor the Barbarian.

Emmit Svenson
2013-02-28, 07:09 PM

...for about a quarter of an hour, while the control will last for nearly two weeks. Hit and run looks better and better for Malack.

Clistenes
2013-02-28, 07:10 PM

It has nothing to do with Norse Mythology.

Durkon said that in his universe Hela gets the souls of dwarves who die of sickness or old age, while Thor gets those who die fighting.

The dwarves believe that the trees are malevolent, sentient beings who only pretend to be unable to move in order to better surprise and ambush their victims, so they regard cutting trees as a form of combat.

Wait wait wait- So the fact that removing a supernatural template will take away a sizable chunk of a character's mental stats means they're not a person? Does that even make sense?:smallconfused:

Edit: Reworded a bit

Malack seems to believe that he won't just get dumber, he will completely become the person he was then.

Snails
2013-02-28, 07:19 PM
Malack seems to believe that he won't just get dumber, he will completely become the person he was then.

A reasonable concern. He may or may not be correct.

I went to sleep one night and woke up with the clear memories of 200 years of bloodsucking evil makes for a pretty bizarre morning, too. Boy, I would definitely need a big cup of coffee for that one. :smallconfused:

ReaderAt2046
2013-02-28, 07:21 PM
It has nothing to do with Norse Mythology.

Durkon said that in his universe Hela gets the souls of dwarves who die of sickness or old age, while Thor gets those who die fighting.

The dwarves believe that the trees are malevolent, sentient beings who only pretend to be unable to move in order to better surprise and ambush their victims, so they regard cutting trees as a form of combat.

I think it might just be that he's been a vampire so long that if he were changed back to a... whatever he is... it would effectively make him a new person even if he retained his memories. Sort of like how becoming a vampire made him a different person in the first place.

Also, I just realized something. If Malack is 200 years old, that means that he could easily have been involved in the adventures of the Order of the Scribble, and could be an invaluable sorce of information.

Catbeller Mouse
2013-02-28, 07:21 PM
I kinda laugh at Dwarf's fear of tree stereotypes in OOTS.

That's straight from The Lord of the Rings. The dwarves fear the trees because they cut down so many of them - and some of those trees punch back. Maybe not during the last few millenia, but then again dwarves have long memories, and the Shepherds of the Trees punch really, really hard.

Envyus
2013-02-28, 07:22 PM
It should be noted that Durkon really does not have anyway to beat Malack alone. It's doubtful Dukon has any spells that are capable of one shotting Malack. And if he can't one shot Malack he can just turn into gas retreat for a bit, heal and attack again until Durkon has used up all of his useful spells.

RVAmbush
2013-02-28, 07:22 PM
The speed at which these comics are coming out is a dream come true, but I'm hoping it isn't going to kill the hand again..

Even if V comes stumbling in at this point, I can't imagine it'd be to do something heroic/useful.

Stormlock
2013-02-28, 07:25 PM
Consider this too: Malack could quite possibly have been Chaotic Evil (and a lot more evil at that) when he was alive. Sure, he's part of the evil empire now, but for all we know back then he was a slaver and sacrificed innocent children to his gods. Imagine if Durkon resurrected him only to be met with a personality somewhere between Belkar, Thog, and Xykon.

Acanous
2013-02-28, 07:30 PM
A reasonable concern. He may or may not be correct.

I went to sleep one night and woke up with the clear memories of 200 years of bloodsucking evil makes for a pretty bizarre morning, too. Boy, I would definitely need a big cup of coffee for that one. :smallconfused:

Bloodsucking *Neutral*. Malack made every attempt at not engaging Durkon, has used no "Save or die" spells, and seems set on capturing, not killing Durkon. At this point, his strategy seems to be "Remove the opponent's ability to fight" wheras his opening gambit was "Remove the opponent's willingness to fight". He's been struggling with vampirism for years, and made a sustained effort to preserve his ethics. Turning him back into a living lizardthing would invalidate all that effort.

Snails
2013-02-28, 07:30 PM
It should be noted that Durkon really does not have anyway to beat Malack alone. It's doubtful Dukon has any spells that are capable of one shotting Malack. And if he can't one shot Malack he can just turn into gas retreat for a bit, heal and attack again until Durkon has used up all of his useful spells.

True.

Seasoned adventurers tend to have scrolls of Protection from Evil for these scenarios -- but to our knowledge the Order has not had the "benefit" of getting embarrassed by Dominate Person and/or Magic Jar to pound that lesson into their noggins.

If Durkon did, he could just make a fighting retreat to regroup. Malack's fast healing is not fast enough to prevent this.

The full Order could probably destroy a lone Malack in a single round -- being forced into gaseous form would be lethal with his coffin so far away.

TheYell
2013-02-28, 07:33 PM
>>By the way, it seems that Redcloak is right: Undead aren't the same people they were, or even persons, they are kind of spell effects that imitate life using dead corpses, otherwise it wouldn't make sense that Malack would lose all his memories and experience and revert to his primitive personality.<<

I understood Malack to be objecting to becoming a former Vampire Lord and has-been dictator. He wouldn't even get a homecoming parade back in the village.

Envyus
2013-02-28, 07:36 PM
The full Order could probably destroy a lone Malack in a single round -- being forced into gaseous form would be lethal with his coffin so far away.

If Durkon had one ally they could pretty easily beat Malack. Also Tarquin and Malack seem way to smart to not keep his coffin at close range given that if he died they would not be able to bring him back. Tarquin probably has a bag of holding with Malack coffin in it or they left in a nearby cave.

Also Durkon does not want to get his allies involved as half of them could be easily dominated and Malack is faster and stronger then him so running away would be a rather bad idea.

Mantine
2013-02-28, 07:36 PM
I like how this is going, with Malack not being a cleric/vampire but an actually vampire cleric, supplementing his own experience malus and level deficit by making use of his own abilities.

Raineh Daze
2013-02-28, 07:39 PM
I'm starting to wonder if Tarquin hoards all the goodies for himself. :smallconfused:

Enero Irontoad
2013-02-28, 07:41 PM
Huh, I was wondering if Durkon would want to resurrect Malack. Turning someone who had long been a vampire into a living person would be an interesting scenario. They'd get their old alignment back, but retain their memories, right? And so they might chose to try to become a vampire again.

Math_Mage
2013-02-28, 07:43 PM
Bloodsucking *Neutral*. Malack made every attempt at not engaging Durkon, has used no "Save or die" spells, and seems set on capturing, not killing Durkon. At this point, his strategy seems to be "Remove the opponent's ability to fight" wheras his opening gambit was "Remove the opponent's willingness to fight". He's been struggling with vampirism for years, and made a sustained effort to preserve his ethics. Turning him back into a living lizardthing would invalidate all that effort.

I'm reasonably certain Malack's strategy was expressed in two words (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0872.html), involved the word 'die', and did not involve the word 'capture'. As for a sustained effort to preserve his ethics, his ethics are pretty thin if they don't twitch at feeding on people who are 'strictly speaking' guilty under the EoB's ridiculous legal regime. And when it comes to the ethics of reverting Malack, 'invalidating his effort' sounds pretty weak compared to 'no more bloodsucking'.

The MunchKING

Hel gets the souls of dishonorable dead (including those who die of disease), and noone wants to go to her realm, so when they get deathly ill they go pick with something nasty (like a tree) to die with honor.

It's become a recurring thing that Hel wants more souls, by claiming adventurer-related diseases fall into her purview. IIRC, last time it was a Paladin defending an orphanage from mummycted Mummy Rot.

Its probably nothing more than backstory: Once upon a time there was a tribe of Lizard-folk barbarians. They had a shaman whose name is lost to history. He became a Vampire. As many Vampires do, he adopted the name "Malack".

Obviously his name was Kcalam.

This has been your random Diskworld reference for the day.

EDIT: Actually that's what they do when they try to TRICK people in the Disc. DANG IT! Foiled by my own attention to detail!

Snails
Bloodsucking *Neutral*. Malack made every attempt at not engaging Durkon....

Malack could simply have walked away before the fight, during the fight, or even right now, and Durkon could do squat about it. So what you are saying is provably wrong here.

I recognize that it is not a mathematically provable fact that Malack is Evil. But the vast bulk of the evidence is pointing int that direction.

If you have to make up obviously wrong facts to support your opinion that Malack is Neutral, then you should probably reconsider your perspective.

SaintRidley
2013-02-28, 07:44 PM
So, in the Stickverse, if you destroy an undead and then cast Raise or Resurrection on its remains, he becomes the person he was before being turned into an undead...interesting. That is an issue that is always confusing and every DM tend to homebrew it the way it is most convenient for his/her own plot.

Only the Resurrection line. Raise Dead can't do it.

Stormlock
2013-02-28, 07:44 PM
I dunno. Belkar likely can't scratch him through DR. Halley can do basic arrow damage with silver arrows, but thats what, 1d6+5? Not going to go very far without cold or sneak attack damage, both of which Malack can safely ignore. Roy's weapon may or may not bypass the DR. As a weapon, it's not sufficient- it needs to be both magical AND silver to work- but it might have a special DR ignoring property. It certainly seems to work on Xykon, who has even stronger DR that a magic greatsword wouldn't get through either. He's also the only one putting out hits strong enough to bypass the DR by sheer force. Though Malack could have very decent AC to deal with as well, given the potential quality of his equipment and various innate armor bonuses.

V is the only one that could put out credible one shotting attack power. A disintegrate in particular would be quite effective if it hit, given the null Con score making for a flimsy fort save. But in his current state he seems more likely to get dominated and point the death ray at Durkon (or dispel the death ward.)

It's also worth noting that Bat swarms are immune to weapon damage, and the Order has very little means of dealing with one, let alone the 1d4+1 Malack can have show up in 2d6 rounds. Durkon might take out one or two with another lightning bolt, possibly hold them at bay with some sort of abjuration, but nobody else except V can likely deal with them at all.

Feddlefew
2013-02-28, 07:47 PM
I'm reasonably certain Malack's strategy was expressed in two words (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0872.html), involved the word 'die', and did not involve the word 'capture'. As for a sustained effort to preserve his ethics, his ethics are pretty thin if they don't twitch at feeding on people who are 'strictly speaking' guilty under the EoB's ridiculous legal regime. And when it comes to the ethics of reverting Malack, 'invalidating his effort' sounds pretty weak compared to 'no more bloodsucking'.
Judging by how angry Malack got when Durkon offered to res him, I think Durkon is lucky if Malack is still planing on just killing him. Instead of, you know, making a counter offer that can't be refused.

Snails
2013-02-28, 07:49 PM
Durkon is going to die. Very soon. It is heavily foreshadowed.

Kudos to the Giant on keeping my head spinning. Durkon or Belkar or both or neither could easily die right here.

Clistenes
2013-02-28, 07:50 PM
Consider this too: Malack could quite possibly have been Chaotic Evil (and a lot more evil at that) when he was alive. Sure, he's part of the evil empire now, but for all we know back then he was a slaver and sacrificed innocent children to his gods. Imagine if Durkon resurrected him only to be met with a personality somewhere between Belkar, Thog, and Xykon.

Well, lizardfolk are usually neutral, but they are quite stupid (-2 to int) and see other humanoids as food so yes, pre-vampiric Malack could be sort of a cannibalistic version of Thog.

Raineh Daze
2013-02-28, 07:51 PM
Well, lizardfolk are usually neutral, but they are quite stupid (-2 to int) and see other humanoids as food so yes, pre-vampiric Malack could be sort of a cannibalistic version of Thog.

Cannibalism is eating your own species. :smallsigh:

SaintRidley
2013-02-28, 07:53 PM

Definitions of things like cannibalism and racism tend to undergo scrutiny when consideration that humans are not the only sapient species is taken.

ManuelSacha
2013-02-28, 07:54 PM
Yes, Durkon is running out of spells, but so is Malack.
Of course, this might be a similar situation to the black dragon vs V one, which teached us that whitout spells... Durkon is just an ale-sipping monkey. While Malack? He is still a vampire.

Speaking of V, I hope s/he's around and comes in blastin' fire on the Lizgreaper's tail as soon as s/he hears commotion with his/her delicate elf ears.
Durkon has already said that he doesn't want to call the others, so unless V or Roy decide to jump in and help him on their own intent... the future where Durkon goes back to his dwarven lands posthumously and brings havok to them (as a vampire), looks closer every minute.

I hope this turns out like the Roy/Thog fight - Durkon winning in a way that is completely unexpected :)
Yup. Brilliant and unexpected doesn't sit well with us.
Boring and clichéd is more our thing. :smalltongue:

PS: some people are still questioning Malack's alignment, and trying to convince us he's not Evil? How quaint! :smallamused:

bguy
2013-02-28, 07:55 PM
Belkar, showing once more that he is more a liability than an asset.

Durkon's best move at this point might actually be to kill Belkar. Durkon could then withdraw safely to rejoin the rest of the party, there would be no danger of Belkar being turned into a vampire, and the Order could always resurrect Belkar later on (which Durkon would probably insist on under these circumstances). I doubt Belkar would even be upset (at least until he realized he lost a level.) He would probably be impressed that Durkon could be so ruthlessly pragmatic.

Clistenes
2013-02-28, 07:55 PM

Definitions of things like cannibalism and racism tend to undergo scrutiny when consideration that humans are not the only sapient species is taken.

Well, he would be...humanoid-phagic?

Feddlefew
2013-02-28, 08:00 PM

It's still only cannibalism if you eat your own species. Most of the races in D&D are similar enough that I would consider it cannibalism, but lizardmen and Kolbolds aren't mammals, so I wouldn't consider it cannibalism if they ate humans and related species, ethics aside. However, even as a funeral right cannibalism still generally taboo because it spreads diseases.

The act of eating sentient beings that isn't covered under the definition of cannibalism deserves its own word, frankly. Cannibalism is a more specific subset of that.

Edit: Obsessively fixed for wording.

Snails
2013-02-28, 08:03 PM
Assuming Durkon can retreat to his friends...

Malack probably has <100 hit points. That is dangerously low when up against multiple foes at this level.

We know Haley carries a few silver arrows. Silver arrows employed in a magic bow will do the job.

Roy's sword has a mysterious green effect that damages undead. Regardless he can blow through a measly 10 DR with Power Attack, if necessary.

Belkar would have the most trouble. But he still gets his Favor Enemy (Humanoid Reptilian) bonus. With strength and magic bonuses, he will easily do more than 10 per hit, even if not much more.

Elan can cast Mass Cure Light to heal his friends and hurt Malack at the same time. That is a sweet 1d8+13 damage.

It adds up quickly, even without V around.

Raineh Daze
2013-02-28, 08:05 PM

Malack probably has <100 hit points. That is dangerously low when up against multiple foes at this level.

We know Haley carries a few silver arrows. Silver arrows employed in a magic bow will do the job.

Roy's sword has a mysterious green effect that damages undead. Regardless he can blow through a measly 10 DR with Power Attack, if necessary.

Belkar would have the most trouble. But he still gets his Favor Enemy (Humanoid Reptilian) bonus. With strength and magic bonuses, he will easily do more than 10 per hit, even if not much more.

Elan can cast Mass Cure Light to heal his friends and hurt Malack at the same time. That is a sweet 1d8+13 damage.

It adds up quickly, even without V around.

However, there is one obstacle: Dominate.

Kish
2013-02-28, 08:09 PM

Malack probably has <100 hit points.
Malack definitely has (Malack's level X 10) hit points plus whatever Durkon's Heal left him with, having just cast Harm to heal himself.

It does occur to me that Will is Vaarsuvius' best (read: sole non-catastrophic) save.

baerdith
2013-02-28, 08:12 PM
Durkon still has a bunch of wounds, did he CCW on Belkar or himself??

Snails
2013-02-28, 08:13 PM
However, there is one obstacle: Dominate.

The answer to Dominate is a 1st level spell. If Durkon does not have it, he is most definitely in trouble. Eventually Malack will succeed in Dominating Durkon himself.

For what it is worth (not much), seasoned dungeocrawlers put Extended Magic Circle Versus Evil on a couple party members for exactly these kinds of situations. At this level of play, such would last almost 5 hours, so it is a no brainer to do before combat.

ShneekeyTheLost
2013-02-28, 08:13 PM
/facepalm

Durokon, PLEASE tell me you didn't forget a simple Protection from Evil spell, did you? You know, the one that suppresses mind controlling effects plus gives additional bonuses against evil creatures?

Shale
2013-02-28, 08:17 PM
The assumption is that Malack's max HP is sub-100. As a vampire with no Con bonus and a level below Durkon's, that is not unlikely.

Edit: CCW removed the stab wounds Belkar dealt him. That left the damage from Flame Strike, which was remedied with CMW.

Kish
2013-02-28, 08:19 PM
Ah, not a possibility I'd considered, my mistake.

Snails
2013-02-28, 08:19 PM
Correction: Malack definitely has (Malack's level X 10) hit points plus whatever Durkon's Heal left him with, having just cast Harm to heal himself.

Undead get d12s with no Con mod. That is a significant weakness at higher level play, even if it does have its advantages.

So, Malack is ballpark 13d12 = ~85 hit points. That is frightfully low in the context of the kind of violence even unoptimized PCs can dish out.

Gift Jeraff
2013-02-28, 08:31 PM
Hey, since Haley calls Durkon "D," (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0205.html) does that mean we can now call him Vampire Hunter D?

Shale
2013-02-28, 08:32 PM
Boooooooooooo!

white lancer
2013-02-28, 08:33 PM
I really like that both Durkon and Malack have their moments of badassery in this fight. Both characters are great in my book, and whatever the outcome, I'm glad neither is going down without a fight. Also, I think my favorite part of this strip is when Durkon offers to resurrect Malack--that's a very Durkon thing to do and is one of the reasons he's a hero in this comic.

I can see arguments both for foreshadowing of Durkon's death (the last panel with Thor as well as the prophecy) and of an intervention by V (by virtue of being part of the half of the party with a good Will save). I don't know what I'm hoping for, but I would still like Malack to get out of this alive because there's a lot we could learn about him and the rest of his party.

Stormlock
2013-02-28, 08:46 PM
DR and frighteningly high AC mitigate that low hp a lot when it comes to melee. Between lizardfolk and vampire, he's got ELEVEN natural armor while completely naked, toss a ring of protection +5 and bracers +8 on that (and he could have better, an epic ECL char should have epic wealth and items, and as a cleric he could cast while wearing proper armor under that robe, +5 mithril chainmail would be a lot better than bracers) and you're looking at AC on par with Xykon. (Oh, throw in dodge bonuses too, +4 dex for vampire and free Dodge feat so another 3 AC there)) Maybe even better (Almost certainly better). Roy might land a hit or two, but his later attacks with lower BAB are going to whiff, same with Belkar and Halley. Especially Belkar, who likely lacks a +5 weapon, let alone two.

In fact, his AC is so high that even if Durkon had Disrupting Weapon memorized (which would be handy for Xykon's minions, if not Xykon himself) it'd likely only be useful on an ally's weapon, since he's probably way outclassed.

Wait, that's it. Durkon is going to cast Disrupting Weapon on Mr. Scruffy's claws, who is going to roll a natural twenty and destroy Malack utterly. It'll be so dramatic (and hilarious!)

Dr. Gamera
2013-02-28, 08:52 PM

Not that I dispute the usefulness of these spells, but to me, that sequence was less about game mechanics and more about Durkon's character. His essence. His integrity. This is the dwarf who, in On the Origin of PCs, said:
It don't matter none tha they be rotten warts on tha arse o' tha world, I still have a duty not ta get 'em killed. Tha's what being a dwarf is all aboot.

Gnoman
2013-02-28, 08:58 PM
The act of eating sentient beings that isn't covered under the definition of cannibalism deserves its own word, frankly. Cannibalism is a more specific subset of that.

Perhaps intellivore? Admittedly, the term was coined to describe a species that eats "thoughts", but it could be adequate.

ReaderAt2046
2013-02-28, 08:58 PM

Yeah, I think the rule of thumb in worlds like this is that cannibalism is eating another sapient being. (

teratorn
2013-02-28, 08:59 PM
The 200 year thing tells us that Malack's kids were indeed vampires.

Dr. Gamera
2013-02-28, 08:59 PM
I like Durkon and don't want him to die. I agree with the analysis that the story has foreshadowed the possibility of his death here. I understand that to make a good story, sometimes beloved characters have to die. So if this is the end of Durkon, or the beginning of undead Durkon, it won't have been unexpected, and it might be necessary, but I'll still be sad.

Caex
2013-02-28, 09:04 PM
Yeah, I think the rule of thumb in worlds like this is that cannibalism is eating another sapient being. (

The issue with that is that it is cannibalism when unintelligent (for our purposes, Int< 3) creatures eat other members of their own species. It doesn't carry the moral weight, of course, as they aren't really capable of moral action, but the term is properly a technical one, not a moral one.

Rogar Demonblud
2013-02-28, 09:15 PM
I was re-reading Don't Split the Party and noticed that The Giant stated that we'd be meeting another of the factions involved in trying to control the gates (presumably, the people who cast the scrying spell at the fake gate site).

Wouldn't this make a heck of a time to add that complication?

Rakoa
2013-02-28, 09:17 PM
Alright, new outcome prediction. I maintain my former idea that Durkon will lure Malack close to the outdoors, dispel his sunlight protection, and Spartan kick him outside.

My new hope is that, as Brom mentioned, Malack will have a magical item to keep him safe from sunlight, either as a backup or because he lied about the spell in the first place. He will use Gaseous Form, and scream as if the sun is burning him into mist or some such thing. Then he will either escape to fight another day...or try a counterattack on Durkon.

My hope, anyway.

Kish
2013-02-28, 09:18 PM
The person who cast the scrying spell at the fake gate site was named Zz'dtri. We've met him.

(Yes, this is confirmed by Word of the Giant.)

St Fan
2013-02-28, 09:19 PM
next up: the prequel story of Malcor the Barbarian.

Tsk, tsk, tsk... shame on you. You should know that vampires can only use a pseudonym that's an anagram of their original name.

Gift Jeraff
2013-02-28, 09:23 PM
I was re-reading Don't Split the Party and noticed that The Giant stated that we'd be meeting another of the factions involved in trying to control the gates (presumably, the people who cast the scrying spell at the fake gate site).

Wouldn't this make a heck of a time to add that complication?

Like Kish said, that was Zz'dtri, as confirmed by Nale and the Giant.

However, as of now I presume that bit in the commentary was alluding to Tarquin.

LadyEowyn
2013-02-28, 09:30 PM
So, anyone care to stand in for Thor ('cause he's busy) and offer Durkon suggestions on how to get out of this mess?

The only strong option I can come up with is to take a lesson from the scene with Thanh in Book IV and engineer a situation in which obeying Malack's commands requires Belkar to harm Mr. Scruffy, and hope that's sufficiently contrary to Belkar's nature that it throws off the spell (and makes him really mad at Malack). Any way of doing that besides using Mr. Scruffy as a shield (which stands a high chance of making Belkar furious with Durkon rather than with Malack) currently escapes me, though. Unless the cat's smart enough to deliberately interpose himself (or, alternately, just gets in the way accidentally).

Other ideas?

JackRackham
2013-02-28, 09:34 PM
Damn, so much for being 1 low-level spell away from melee support. The Giant juked me again.

WoLong
2013-02-28, 09:40 PM
Gotta love Malack hanging side down.:smallbiggrin: Vampire lizards play strange bats.:smallamused:

Yeah, that looked really wierd.

Ivrytwr
2013-02-28, 09:47 PM
Loving Malack more and more: the mist, the eyes, the hanging out around the corner. A little bit lost, maybe a little bitter?
Durkon is proving to be more capable than when the rest of OotS is around.
Mr. Scruffy with the surprised eyes.
Good story, good story telling.
Thanks, Giant!

Deepbluediver
2013-02-28, 10:00 PM
Does this comic give anyone else bad vibes? Durkon in that second-to-last panel seems to be exuding an aura of "I'm only 1 day away from retirement" or something similar.

Maybe it's just me.

DaggerPen
2013-02-28, 10:13 PM
First of all: Amazing. I can't wait for the next one, and I'm so glad that this is the 9-in-a-row. Malack's gaseous form looks amazing, and I love the subtlety of the Vampiric Gaze casting panel, as well as the effects on his eyes when he does it.

Second: I was reading over the archives in response to this strip, and I noticed http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0333.html

If Durkon does get vamped... I don't think he's going to wind up buried alongside his ancestors...

Incom
2013-02-28, 10:16 PM
So, anyone care to stand in for Thor ('cause he's busy) and offer Durkon suggestions on how to get out of this mess?

The only strong option I can come up with is to take a lesson from the scene with Thanh in Book IV and engineer a situation in which obeying Malack's commands requires Belkar to harm Mr. Scruffy, and hope that's sufficiently contrary to Belkar's nature that it throws off the spell (and makes him really mad at Malack). Any way of doing that besides using Mr. Scruffy as a shield (which stands a high chance of making Belkar furious with Durkon rather than with Malack) currently escapes me, though. Unless the cat's smart enough to deliberately interpose himself (or, alternately, just gets in the way accidentally).

Other ideas?

Take notes from when Belkar fought Tsukiko (granted, Durkon wasn't there) and fling an angry cat into an enemy caster's face. Should buy him time to get himself good and lost in the maze at least (maybe he'll find V rather than vice-versa? /running gag).

Problem with that is what to do about Belkar.

In any case, guaranteed that it'll re-occur to Scruffy that he should be super ticked at the vampire any moment now.

brionl
2013-02-28, 10:40 PM
Obviously his name was Kcalam.

This has been your random Diskworld reference for the day.

EDIT: Actually that's what they do when they try to TRICK people in the Disc. DANG IT! Foiled by my own attention to detail!

It's a reference to Dracula by Bram Stoker. When Dracula goes to London, he books his tickets and rents his property under the pseudonym of Alucard. Pratchett was making a reference to that.

Gurgeh
2013-02-28, 11:05 PM
Actually, the Alucard alias doesn't come from Bram Stoker's novel; the count travels under his own name and generally gets away with it (since nobody knows that he's a vampire for quite some time - well over half the book passes before his true nature is revealed to the characters). "Alucard" was invented by later adaptations, generally ones that took the count being outed as a vampire for granted, and use the alias to preserve some mystery.

The more general application of vampires spelling their names backwards is most often put forward by Terry Pratchett (there's certainly no evidence of it in earlier vampire works like Carmilla or Nosferatu). Not that it's a bad thing, mind.