PDA

View Full Version : [3.P] Fire and Earth Themed Spells

Olo Demonsbane
2013-02-28, 04:57 PM
I was building a character today when I noticed that the two spells he meant to have running nearly constantly were air and water themed. Naturally, I wanted to see if I could turn this into a "Master of the Elements" situation. However, I have been unable to find spells that do this appropriately.

Criteria:
Spell should be no more than 4th level
Spell should be castable by an archivist//sha'ir
Spell should be able to move with the caster (ie, no Spike Stones) either by being able to move or by being centered on the caster any non area/multiple target spell that isn't centered around the caster
(Bonus) It'd be nice if the spell did something more than just damage. Damage is fine and all, but I have melee classes for that.
Spells can be from 3.5 or Pathfinder

Helpful things:
Spells can be reflavored. For example, Black Tentacles would be great, assuming I could make it stay centered on me.
Basically infinite metamagic from 3.5 can be applied to this spell. Persist Spell, Born of Three Thunders, you name it.

For reference, my other two spells are Summon Swarm and Aqueous Orb, both with excessive amounts of metamagic.

Thanks! I look forward to seeing any completely wonderful spells that I missed :smallsmile:

Quirp
2013-02-28, 05:46 PM
Well there are Balor Nimbus and Body of the Sun in the Spell Compendium. Both give you an aura of fire.
For an earth spell there is Stone Fist in RoS, which transforms your hands into big lumps of stone and increases your unarmed damage. There is also Sandform from Sandstorm.

Olo Demonsbane
2013-02-28, 06:35 PM
Body of the Sun works quite well! Do you know if targets take the damage immediately upon entering, or only on my turn? If it's the first, this is quite a defense against chargers that aren't obscenely higher level than me.

All ideas are still welcome!

Quirp
2013-02-28, 06:46 PM
Sadly the only text in the description says something about damage on your turn, so the defense against chargers probably falls flat.

Evard's Menacing Tentacles (refluffed to hands/appendages made of stone or earth) from PHB2 might be another interesting spell.

mregecko
2013-02-28, 06:55 PM
I'm just gonna leave this here (http://dndtools.eu/spells/complete-mage--58/heart-of-earth--877/)

Olo Demonsbane
2013-02-28, 07:52 PM
Evard's Menacing Tentacles...that could potentially work. :smallsmile:

mregecko: I probably will have all four Heart buffs running simultaneously, but that's not exactly what I'm looking for. I'm going more for the visual factor of a mage wielding the elements in battle: a giant whirling ball of water picks up some of the enemies while a storm cloud made entirely of translucent bats shoots lightning at a whole host more; the rest are fried from the pulsating flames emanating from the caster.

Also, realized a new trick. So any related single target or touch spells work too...anything but area or multi-target spells, basically.