PDA

View Full Version : PF Adventuring Necessities

Uhtred
2013-02-28, 08:20 PM
So I'm new to the system, gamely getting ready to run a Pathfinder campaign for my graveyard shift buddies. Party consists of:

Gnome Experimental Gunsmith, with the Master Tinker and Pyromaniac racial traits, planning to prestige into Living Legend next level
Oread Order of the Dragon Cavalier, with the Beast Rider ACF'S, Tyrannosaurus mount and plans to prestige to Mammoth Lord at lvl 7
Sylph Rogue with the Swashbuckler ACF's, not sure where he intends to go
Half-Elf Summoner with a serpentine Eidolon who intends it eventually to be a flying Huge-size swallow-whole-ing mount of doom
Suli Magus with the Elemental Knight racial class features, will probably have some convoluted build if I know the player.
Some sort of Oracle. I haven't discussed it with the player yet.

This is a group I've played with before, their characters are Statted out, feats and spells picked, blah blah blah. But the last time I played with them, they spent four hours painstakingly picking equipment. I understand that's just how D&D players are, but I was hoping for a nice easy start this time around, maybe get some actual adventuring in. They're mid-high op, 5th-lvl, 10,500gp to play around with. They're going to be the crew of an Eberron-style elemental airship, and will likely lean toward piracy. No 3.5 equipment, Pathfinder only. What sort of necessities should they bring with them, both on and off the Fowl Wind? Thanks in advance

Squirrel_Dude
2013-02-28, 08:42 PM
Alchemical solvent: Because it suuuuuuuucks when a mimic or anything like that gets a hold of you.
Antiplague/Antitoxin: 1 or 2 vials for emergencies.
Bladeguard: No one like rust monsters, nobody.
Smoke Sticks or Smoke Pellets: Because rogues should be able to obscuring mist too.
Cold Weather Outfit/Hot Weather Outfit
Sunrods/Torches: Light is good, hurr durr.
Tear-Away Clothing: Standard action disguises? Sweet
Weapon blanches: For your ammunition.

Oh, and since your on a ship: loaded dice, marked cards, and normal versions of both. Oh, and Grog.

Sylthia
2013-02-28, 08:47 PM
Never forget to bring rope.

Bhaakon
2013-02-28, 09:18 PM
Since they're in an air ship, a potion or two of feather fall seems like a wise and inexpensive precaution (assuming they don't make the rookie error of drinking it immediately and having the spell run out several thousand feet above the ground).

I don't think they can afford it at present, but enough immoveable rods to hold the craft aloft in case of disaster/hold it in place in rough weather might be a worthy investment.

avr
2013-02-28, 09:56 PM
Piracy? You'll want to hold some prisoners sooner or later. Some manacles (masterwork) might be handy.

Some (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/e-g/feather-token/bird-token) feather (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/e-g/feather-token/floating-feather-token) tokens (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/e-g/feather-token/sky-hook-token) could be handy for getting things off/on the airship. Not for routine use but definitely cool when you could use them.

Uhtred
2013-03-01, 02:33 AM
A friend pointed out what is essentially a magical Pathfinder Leatherman, it's a plain metal bar that can become any tool you need. That sounded pretty rad, and useful for doing stuff on and off the ship.