PDA

View Full Version : FyreByrd's City of the Spider Queen IC Thread

FyreByrd
2013-03-01, 07:01 AM
City of the Spider Queen
This is the IC Thread | OOC Thread is Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273834)

You have received an urgent summons to the hall of Lord Randal Morn, ruler of Daggerdale. Randal Morn has governed the war-torn dale for more than four years now. Under his wise guidance, much of the damage done by the decades-long Zhent occupation has been repaired and the folk of Daggerdale have begun to prosper again. The Heroic story of Randal Morn's resistance against the Zhents and the restoration of his throne is widely known throughout the Dalelands.

The Lord of Daggerdale does not stand of ceremony, and he personally greets you at the doors of his hall. Leading you to a comfortable study lined with bookshelves, he calls for refreshments. "I thank you for coming so quickly." he begins, "I know most of you by reputation, if not personally, and I know you have the skillset to help me a problem that I need solving.

"Seven days ago, a band of Drow raided several farms and freeholds about 10 miles south of here. A number of people were killed, and the marauders caused much damage. My local militia tracked the Drow band to the vicinity of an old set of crypts on the western edge of the Dagger Hills. Rumor has it that those crypts conceal an entrance to the Underdark.

"Three nights ago, the Drow raiders returned and caused even more damage. I think the time has come for some experienced and capabale adventurers to put a stop to these raids. I know you may not know each other well, but the Drow, and the Underdark itself are dangerous foes, and you will need to work together. Our community is still recovering from the Zhent occupation, and I can't spare the men, or the political capital on a military incursion, so I'm turning to you.

"We haven't had trouble with Drow in Daggerdale for hundreds of years, and I have no idea what has stirred them up now. Can you help me?"

Haluesen
2013-03-01, 12:32 PM
Veyshankor stood by a bookshelf as the lord spoke, his eyes moving around the room. He paid enough attention to him to hear his request, but his mind was otherwise focused on those around him. Quite a strange group we have here.. he thought to himself while idly fiddling with the lapel of his vest.

After listening to Lord Morn speak, Veyshankor took a moment to get his thoughts together before standing straight to present himself. "I admit that this situation with the drow is...troubling. he spoke slowly, emerald eyes fixated on Lord Morn. "There being any lead on these stange events is at least worth looking into. I believe I will gladly assist." After speaking he looked at the others here, a bit expectantly. Though unsure of their own actions of intentions, he knew that trying to hunt the drow alone would be foolish.

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-03-01, 04:42 PM
Varden

During the time the lord was speaking, it would have been easy to forget she was even there. The shadows cast by the bookshelves seemed to absorb her, and her presence only becomes apparent when she steps forward and speaks. Her pitch black appearance is rather uncommon. The fact that she was in a rather colourful company has given her the strength to expose herself and speak, but you can still see she is, in a sense, uncomfortable speaking to strangers.

"If the people of Daggerdale call upon me for help, I will help, Lord Morn." Her voice is light, hollow like a whisper, yet at the same time firm and full of resolve. She looks around the room and seems to remember something. "Varden, is my name. Humble servant of Selune... she rests her gaze on Lord Randal ...and Daggerdale. Pleased to meet."

Swami Monsoon
2013-03-01, 08:52 PM
Akbar lived and worked by two important rules:

1. No killing.
2. Always work alone.

Now he was preparing to break both of them, and in a big way...

Akbar had few friends in this world, and now he had one fewer. Sir Edmond Drake had come to him for aid in recovering his kidnapped daughter. That task had been accomplished, but in the process the knight became more than just a client. Edmond was an even rarer commodity than the proverbial whore with a heart of gold... a rich man with a heart, golden or otherwise. He was one of the few people of any station that treated Akbar like a man instead of a freak to be pitied and feared. The two became fast friends, and Edmond repaid his debt many times over, serving as Akbar's contact in elite circles and helping to bring many a case to a successful conclusion. And now he was dead. Surprised in his hunting lodge and shanked like a jailhouse snitch by these... Drow. Whoever they were... Edmond's wife had given him one last commission. She told him to attend to Lord Morn and to do whatever he asked. So that was what he would do. These creatures from ferengi campfire stories would find out that they were not the only things that went bump in the night...

_____

Akbar looks around at his new comrades and pulls off his mask. No need to be shy in this company...

"I'm Akbar Gorbagheh. I'm no soldier for hire... my work is usually much more discreet than that. This job, however, is personal. They took my friend from me. But beyond any score I need to settle with these Drow, it's becoming clear that they're the greatest threat to this city since the Zhent. They could ruin everything and everyone I've worked for... so any other job is pointless until this one gets done."

ptdapen
2013-03-01, 09:47 PM
It took a special sort of messenger to approach a Lizardfolk with an urgent calling. Under ordinary circumstances, Szar'tek would have ignored the man. Humans were laughable to him and their stone cities were uncomfortable. However, he had come here looking to solve an nondescript problem, and this seemed close enough.

By some miracle, the town did not try to attack him on sight; perhaps the Lord had warned his subjects. After all, there were few Lizardfolk out in Daggerdale, least of all one with a blue hue. All of the others who arrived disappointed him. Their statures were weak and pathetic in his eye. "You," he'd announce, pointing at Varden. "You hide in the shadows like frightened prey, hoping it will keep you safe. I warn you as an experienced hunter that they cannot keep you safe forever."

Szar'tek was prepared to continue his tangent to berate the rest of the group but instead hushed his tongue. "I tend to hunt alone. It has been long since I have hunted with others. Do know I reserve that privilege for those who are worthy." He turned his attention to the Lord, ready to criticize his people for their fragility but again held his tongue. "The drow are puny and can be broken easily. I will sniff out this band and destroy them. I promise nothing more." After all, he could not be sure if this threat was the one he had foreseen. It would take a blind man to not see that his intentions did not encapsulate the well-being of Daggerdale's subject. It just so happened that they were interlaced, for now.

Haluesen
2013-03-01, 09:59 PM
Veyshankor watched the others step up to speak, to declare themselves, and be ready to act. Hearing their words only proved that they were truly an eclectic lot. But for a threat like this, it took all kinds. Though they all seemed odd and perhaps unpredictable, working with them now at least seemed fair. He looked on those who had not yet spoken, and wondered.

This is a group of misfits, a band of wayward souls. He thought to himself, taking in all he could of them. The other adventurers had his attention more now than their potential employer. Will that be what condemns them all, or what assures our success? He did refer to them failing; no matter what happened, he would not let himself pass away before nature's will was done.

So far there was too little known about any of them to say what he thought of them. The one in the shadows, Varden, looked soft but dutiful; not a bad combination of traits. The masked one, Akbar, could at least be relied on to do the job. He had enough reasons to work on this. The lizardfolk grated on him slightly, with his talk of worth before knowing the people before him. But he certainly looked strong, tough, and both had their uses. Tough enough to support what looked like a fair number of soft people.

All in all, again misfit, but maybe just what was needed now. Veyshankor let himself be lost in his thoughts.

Silver Night
2013-03-02, 02:08 AM
Sketch stands on a chair, leaning against the back of it (as she is all of 2 feet tall) and running an eye over the others present. Some of them look like they might be able to handle themselves. It would be wise to reserve judgement until I can see them in a setting more challenging than a library.

Her dragonfly wings beat a single time, more of a twitch, as she considers Morn's words.

"More information on the situation would be useful." Her voice is deep, even gravelly - for a Pixie. For most normal sized folk, it is simply high pitched instead of the usual piping trill. She nods toward Akbar, "And with all due respect to Akbar here, I am a soldier for hire - so some information about what the pay will look like would be useful too. Assuming it's reasonable, I'm in. Haven't fought Drow before, but I've heard they have some interesting tricks."

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-03-02, 06:24 AM
Varden

Varden eyes Szar'tek with confusion, and then a small, wicked, smile. "From the mighty lion to the fierce crocodile, but also the keen chameleon and cunning spider, all great hunters strike from concealment." The smile is now gone from her face. "Underestimate the Drow like you do me, and you will find yourself ambushed and slain soon enough."

FyreByrd
2013-03-02, 07:41 AM
Morn nods firmly, his eyes fixed on the lizard like creature before him, that pronounced such critiques of his fellows. "Tales of your prowess Szar'tek, have gone ahead of you, as have tales of your arrogance." his voice hardens, "I am not sending people out piecemeal to have them cut down, or to advertise that we are taking action, fifteen of my people are dead, the Drow slaughtered them in their homes. If you accept you are all going, and you WILL learn to work together...or the Underdark will claim you."

He sighs deeply, "As for payment, I am willing to pay 5000gp, split between those that accept. Half now, and half when the threat to Daggerdale is ended." He looks at you reluctantly, "Also the priest of Tyr is a friend, tell him I sent you and he'll make his healing services, and supplies available to you at a heavy discount."

Silver Night
2013-03-02, 11:47 AM
Sketch replies almost automatically, "6000. Plus expenses. And I'm in. Or 5000, and a bonus for each drow. Speaking of - any idea how many of them there are?"

Haluesen
2013-03-02, 11:59 AM
Veyshankor looked back up to Lord Morn as money was discussed. Not a greedy man in any way, but he wouldn't turn down coin to make him more effective at his work. He listened to the others discuss. He nodded and stood straight again. "This is true, we need to have at least a small idea of what we are facing. More than just what they are. Were there any sightings of this raiding band, and perhaps if they had anything more than just drow with them? Pets, mercenaries, slaves. Every little detail you can provide to us is vital, Lord Morn."

He looked to the pixie then, with something almost like a smile. At least he would not be the only creature of nature here. "I can see the sense in..her words. I do not want to push the issue, but this could be a great threat to your people we face. We will need to be as fully armed and prepared as we can be. Though...to me I can honestly be content with the access to magical supplies." Veyshankor ran his fingers along the handle of one of his daggers, looking thoughtful. "Also not to bring up too many topics at once...but where are those refreshments I heard you call for? I am admittedly quite thirsty."

ptdapen
2013-03-02, 06:08 PM
"I will crush these Drow like insects," Szar'tek hisses. Under ordinary circumstances, money would prove useless to the Lizardfolk; he thrived off of hunting and looting. Plus merchants were often reluctant to even speak to a giant lizard. But payment could be abused, to grant him more dominance. "I agree with the little Pixie's second idea. For every head I bring back, I expect to be compensated more.

THEChanger
2013-03-02, 11:38 PM
As the assembled adventurers debated payment and discussed size of the opposition, a small black cat uncurled itself from under a nearby table, and slowly began to stretch itself. Lazily blinking its eyes, the cat sauntered over to the Lord's desk, and hopped up onto his lap. A small meow popped out of the cat's mouth, as it gazed up at its master, expectantly.

"So then, milord, these are the adventurers you sent for? Quite a motely crew, don't you think?"

Swami Monsoon
2013-03-03, 12:57 AM
Where did Lord Morn find these guys? Akbar wondered... Was the circus in town? He of all people knew better than to judge by appearances... but if you looked like a clown and acted like one too... Akbar chuckled uneasily to himself. I guess I need to find myself some face paint and a big red nose...

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-03-03, 06:03 AM
Varden

Varden does not care much for the money, but she does not want to interfere in the negotiations. When the Pixie brings up the issue of the number of Drow involved, she nods and 'hums' in agreement and looks at the lord expectantly.

Silver Night
2013-03-03, 02:37 PM
Sketch eyes Szar'tek for a moment, Watch who you're calling 'little' lizard man. Anyway, heads might be a bit much, not to mention bulky. Taking an ear - a right ear - from each would be more convenient, and more traditional.

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-03-03, 03:07 PM
Varden

"Or..." Varden has an expression of disgust on her face "...we don't maim our enemies after killing them and report honestly to the lord how many Drow were involved." She ponders a second. "Let me put it like this. If it requires me to carry around Drow body parts to get bonus payment, I'd rather work for free."

Haluesen
2013-03-03, 03:26 PM
Sighing softly, Veyshankor watched all of them speak. "It truly matters little." He said with a light shrug. "If it would be simpler then just 6000 would work. No worries about body parts, or dishonesty on anyone's part. Plus of course the deal on healing and supplies. It is a fair deal I think." He looked to the others afterward.

Silver Night
2013-03-03, 05:50 PM
The Pixie shrugs, "I'd be fine with carrying them - but a flat increase does involve a bit less book-keeping. And depending on how long things take, even ears can start to get a bit ripe. I also wonder, does anyone here have experience fighting in the Underdark?"

ptdapen
2013-03-04, 01:44 AM
Szar'tek throws his arms into the air and laughs. "None of you need to worry about carrying their heads. I will gladly do so myself, even if their flesh is being consumed by maggots. They will be trophies until they have lost their novelty." The Lizardfolk suddenly silences himself, staring forward at nothing in particular. A few moments later, he begins to smile. "I have not been inside the Underdark before. I will relish in this experience. There is no need to worry about me; my eyes are suited for the darkness."

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-03-04, 02:15 AM
Varden

"Thousands of Drow dwell in the forests I grew up in. I put a fair few out of action and learned to speak the language of the Underdark. However, aside from two very short probing visits, I have avoided the Underdark. We believe that as long as the Drow stay in their own homeland they are to be left in peace, and punished when they encroach upon our lands with their evil ways."

FyreByrd
2013-03-04, 07:29 AM
Morn shakes his head slowly, "5000" he declares flatly, "That is all the city's treasury can support." He pauses for a second, "However before you leave stop at the Elven enclave in the north section of the city, I believe their rather hotheaded leader Lari was talking in town yesterday about a bounty on Dark Elven heads, he may deal with you, if he knows you're setting out.

"As for numbers, all we know about is the small raiding parties, and roughly where they've come from. The area around there is sparsely populated because of the rumours about the undead in the area, and the proximity to a possible entrance to the Underdark. I think the raiding parties are small, but once you get below ground, I have no idea what sort of numbers you might face."

He plonks a heavy bag of gold on the table. "Daggerdale needs you more than ever my friends." he states seriously.

@Yrael:

"Why don't you introduce yourself to them then, they may suit your unique needs."

Swami Monsoon
2013-03-04, 11:09 AM
"It's been said that people like me were... designed... to operate in the Underdark. I've never been there myself... but it looks like I will soon get to put that assumption to the test."

Haluesen
2013-03-04, 12:25 PM
Veyshankor listened and gazed about at everyone. His own experience with drow was limited, but he didn't feel like it needed to be brought up. "I am fit enough to handle these murderers. That is all that matters, and apparently everyone else here is able too." He looked at the bag of coin and nodded. "Very well, I believe then we have spoken on this enough. It is the time for action. Perhaps we all should see this Lari, where the rest of you can negotiate bounties. I however wish to head out as quickly as possible. Let's waste no more time."

With that he walked forward to Lorn Morn and nodded his head. "We shall return soon with the monsters destroyed. At the very least, you have my word." he spoke seriously. Now just to see if the rest could stick to that. But it seemed like they could, if not all for the same reasons.

Silver Night
2013-03-04, 12:27 PM
"We can visit the elves then, as well." Sketch looks around, "If that sounds good to the rest of you."

1000 gold is nothing to sneeze at, and I'm sure that there might be loot to be had on top of that. Sketch scratches the pale scar that runs across one cheek, "So, there may be undead also? It seems as though it would certainly be a good idea to visit your priest also."

ptdapen
2013-03-06, 02:59 AM
"Let us talk to people and be on our way," Szar'tek states, impatiently tapping his foot. "The undead will surely be tougher to kill than the drow. I suppose one does not kill an undead but rather destroy its body."

Haluesen
2013-03-06, 12:28 PM
With a huff Veyshankor's eyes narrowed into a dark grimace. "Ugh, undead. Horrible abominations. Let us destroy as many as we can see while on our job. I can see no reason letting a single one live is acceptable." He picked his bag up from the floor and put it on.

He looked towards the pixie. "It does seem like the seeing this elf would be good for your purposes, plus anyone else here. No reason we can't make a little more coin in slaying these evil beings. But I would very much like to see this priest soon thereafter. Perhaps I could acquire some things to better fight the undead. If not, then just having some extra healing supplies will be useful." He then made to head towards the door, stopping as he thought and turned back to face the others.

"Since it only now came to mind, my name is Veyshankor. If you wish or cannot pronounce that, you may all call me Kor."

THEChanger
2013-03-06, 11:59 PM
The cat yawned, and hopped from the Lord's lap onto the desk. It blinked twice at its master, and then began circling the desk, eyeing each of the adventurers in turn. Apparently making a decision, the cat sauntered over to Veyshakor, and clambered up onto the Killoren's shoulders. Curling up, and being suprisingly light, the cat once more let out a small meow. "Yes, I think this one will do quite nicely. His shoulders feel right. By the way, hello everyone, my name is Yrael. Yes, I'm a cat, yes, I work for the good Lord Daggervale here, and yes, I'm coming with you. I am legally obligated to inform you that removing my collar is dangerous, and under no circumstances should you do so. And, yes dear Kor, I am likely to remain on your shoulders for awhile."

Swami Monsoon
2013-03-07, 12:14 AM
"So there's still holy items to procure and the price of Drow ears to be haggled over... we'd best get moving."

FyreByrd
2013-03-07, 03:57 AM
Morn smirks, although you are unsure whether it's really a grimace or a smirk, "It seems you've been adopted" he tells Veyshakor.

He gestures to the bag of gold on the table, "If you want the job, take the gold and get going, I don't want any more people harmed by those Drow."

ooc:

OK lets move on from mr. morn, where next the temple, the elven enclave, or onwards to high adventure!

Haluesen
2013-03-07, 01:15 PM
Veyshankor raised an eyebrow as he looked at the cat perched on his shoulder, eyes widening in surprise as he heard the voice in his mind. After taking a moment to compose himself, he smiled a bit. "Hmm what a very interesting turn of events here. I have no clue how you can speak as such, or why you wish to join us, but I am glad to have you with us, Yrael." It was a bit of relief to be able to speak to an animal without using his magic. Though he was sure that there was a lot more to this creature than just a cat, it didn't dissuade him from being happy to have it here. "Let us be on our way then allies."

ooc:
Alright then sounds great here!

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-03-07, 01:59 PM
Varden

"Thank you, lord Morn." She does not touch the money on the table, but looks around: "Yes, let's get going...to the Elves, I presume?"

Silver Night
2013-03-07, 04:25 PM
Sketch has no problem grabbing the money on the table and heading for the door, "Let's see the elf first, then grab some kit to take on any undead we run into from the temple, unless anyone has any problems with that? "

ptdapen
2013-03-07, 07:26 PM
"Let us go and talk to this elf." Szar'tek eyes the cat warily, particularly focusing on the collar. "Just be sure not to perch yourself on my shoulder unless I say so."

THEChanger
2013-03-07, 10:14 PM
"My dear reptile, your shoulders would be exceedingly uncomfortable. You have no need to fear on that score." Despite Yrael's cat face, the smirk crawling across it was unmistakably humanoid. The silver bell on his collar shook gently, the light glinting off it's surface.

FyreByrd
2013-03-09, 07:51 AM
And so the six heroes gathered outside the city of Daggerfalls later that day, fully prepared to hunt down the Drow menace. They had got directions from Morn, for the place they were to investigate, a set of mysterious crypts and burial grounds called the Dordrien crypts.

Many rumours swirled about this area, the crypts were haunted, there was a secret entrance to the underdark, and other similar things that peasants love to gossip about. However it is here that Morn believes the Drow are coming from.

The journey takes only a couple of hours, and most of it is on a wide well travelled road. however as you travel the last couple of miles on a track, you notice the signs of civilisation slipping away.

Before you, the trail winds past a low, rounded hill dotted with jutting boulders and dense briar patches. Sere grasses crown its barren slopes. Beyond this first rampart, a long chain of rugged hills stretches away to the south, and the east - the Dagger Hills. The trail turns here and continues south, skirting the lower slopes.

Two old, small, stone buildings stand here in the shadow of the hill. The ruined shells of several more lie nearby, overgrown with tough brown grass. A niche has been cut in the hillside just past the surface buildings. Within it, a stone door stands closed in a masonry alcove.

Haluesen
2013-03-09, 11:52 AM
As they all walked along the path, Veyshankor gazed around at frequent intervals. His tiger ally Iaurtinco stood beside him at all times. They both made sure to stand in the midst of the group, not in the front but fairly close. Veyshankor didn't care for leading, unless it was completely necessary like in tracking.

He looked upon the remains of the buildings here, eyes wandering in subtle curiosity. "Old and decrepit all around; it almost seems sad here." He noted casually. He turned his eyes to the rest of the group. "Well now, where from here?"

Swami Monsoon
2013-03-09, 12:57 PM
"I'm guessing the real action is going to be behind that big door... but we should clear the other buildings just in case..."

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-03-09, 07:11 PM
Varden

"Yes." Varden eyes the buildings thoroughly. "Why don't you wait here while I scout ahead?" Varden looks around the group of adventurers and adresses Sketch: "Why don't you join me, huh? See if it is safe?"

Swami Monsoon
2013-03-09, 08:32 PM
As Akbar steps next to a rock outcrop his skin and clothing begin to change color to match the stone. Within a few seconds it appears as if he has disappeared into the rock...

"I can be stealthy too, if need be," says his now disembodied voice.

Activates Walk Unseen (Invisibility)

Silver Night
2013-03-09, 09:48 PM
Sketch turns invisible, blinking out of apparent existence as if a switch was flipped, and says, "Sounds like a plan. Everyone have one of those rings so we can get in touch if need be? Let's go."

Sketch flies in the direction of the buildings to see what might be seen.

Activate the always-on SU Greater Invisibility. Sketch would also be flying, rather than walking, the better to travel quickly and quietly while having a good view of things.

Haluesen
2013-03-09, 10:21 PM
Veyshankor watched the others go and looked at his ring. "Very well, we shall wait here until you return with news or send it." With that he walked to a rock and sat, Iaurnco sitting close beside him.

ptdapen
2013-03-10, 05:21 AM
"Take these rings. Let us sync them to each other." Szar'tek holds out a set of rings, one for each of the group members. "They will allow us to communicate even when we are not near each other. Good for scouts or when we are not together."

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-03-10, 07:22 AM
Varden

"Thank you." Varden gladly accepts the ring and goes through the attuning process. You notice her focusing for a moment, followed by the sensation of smell that reminds you of something....what was it? But then it is gone. The black and grey tones of Varden's skin and clothes now adapt a little bit to the colours of her surrounding. "There we go", she says as he heads off to the buildings and blends in with the shadows.

Manifesting Chameleon and heading off to the buildings to scout, taking 10 when possible. My relevant modifiers are:
Listen +17
Spot +27
Search +30
Hide +41
Move silently +29

I have the Darkstalker feat, speed 40, superior low-light vision, darkvision and hide in plain sight, should any of these things matter.

Swami Monsoon
2013-03-10, 11:45 AM
Akbar adjusts his new ring and follows the other two scouts towards the ruins...

If needed:

Listen +19
Spot +21
Move Silently/Hide +27

With See the Unseen active I should be able to see and stay close to the others...

Haluesen
2013-03-10, 12:47 PM
Veyshankor looked over at Szar'tek and nodded. "Smart idea with the rings. It'll save us a lot of time with communication magic." He looked to Yrael then. "Well you've been around Lord Morn more. Do you know anything else about this situation with drow attacks?" While speaking Veyshankor sharpened his knives. Better prepared than not.

FyreByrd
2013-03-11, 07:10 AM
The trails passes between the two mausoleums, on it's way east to the large stone door, embedded in the hillside. The Mausoleum to the north, is the larger of the two and great stone double doors bar the entrance to this ancient mausoleum. The doors or the lintel may once have borne an inscription or crest, but centuries of wind and rain have erased any such marking, just as they have slowly eroded the structure of the building itself, leaving cracked walls and crumbling mortar in their wake

The second mausoleum lies to the south of the trail. A single, massive, stone door bearing a weathered, but still visible family crest marks the entrance to this crumbling mausoleum.

Silver Night
2013-03-11, 01:36 PM
Sketch flies along above the path, and then up to check around the crumbling buildings. No need to get ambushed. This place gives me the creeps.

Hide: [roll0]
Move Silvently: [roll1]

And, she is of course still invisible.

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-03-11, 01:57 PM
Varden

Varden goes ahead and sneaks towards the doors. She is looking for signs of recent activity, checking out whether the doors are locked and perhaps if there is a possibility to peek inside through some crack. She also spends a moment to listen for any movement inside.

Move silently: [roll1]
Spot: [roll2]
Listen: [roll3]
Search: [roll4]

Swami Monsoon
2013-03-11, 10:56 PM
Akbar makes a circuit around the tombs, checking if there is anything dangerous in the area...

FyreByrd
2013-03-14, 04:05 AM
As the scouts look around the buildings they see no sign of life at all. A closer inspection of the larger, more northerly building reveals that the door looks to have been opened recently, and it would be fairly easy to open it again. The smaller tomb looks like it has been opened also, but then plastered shut once more.

@Varden Only:

You notice as you look more closely at the southern tomb, that above the door it has the name "Chahir", and then some other writing that you can't understand. You also notice that there are a few cracks in the plaster at the bottom of the door.

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-03-14, 04:34 AM
@DM
Cracks as in one might look through it, or as in something has been trying to break out, or as in mediocre craftsmanship? I am sorry, I am just not entirely clear what you mean with this remark.

I assume you rolled a Decipher Script (+17) check (if that is even applicable) with regards to the writing I don't understand?

FyreByrd
2013-03-14, 05:30 AM
@Varden:

This is what comes of using a pre-built module you use their language when sometimes it's clearer to use your own!

All around the perimeter of the door is recent (At least compared to the rest of the masonry) plaster, sealing the door. This plaster is a couple of inches wide, at the bottom there are a few pieces of plaster missing, thus creating the cracks. The missing pieces are around three to four inches in length, and there are three of them.

Is that more clear?

Decipher Script Result which I totally remembered to roll for you:

The Script reads: "Together for Eternity"

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-03-14, 08:57 AM
Varden

Varden decides to move (silently) away a bit and inform the team on the findings through the new ring. Once at a safe distance, she brings the ring to her mouth, then ponders while moving the ring away again and then shrugs before she moves her hand to her mouth again. She whispers: "Uhm, test? Varden. Do you hear me?" With great expectations she waits to see what happens. When she gets confirmation on the functioning of the ring, she starts whispering again.

"So, there's a big and a small mausoleum. Both closed with stone doors, but the big one appears to be used recently. I guess that's the entrance we are looking for. The small mausoleum door is sealed with plaster. Either to keep us out or to keep something in. The seal is cracked in the bottom on a few places. This could be a random feature, but also to let in air for something inside, to let in light so anyone inside will notice us standing in front of the door. On the other hand, the inscriptions suggest this is just a tomb, and not even the one we are looking for, so perhaps I am just being paranoid. Do you guys want to investigate this small tomb, or want to ignore it?" She pauses a while and then mutters: "Uhm, end of message."

Haluesen
2013-03-14, 10:13 AM
Veyshankor listened to Varden's message before testing the ring to respond. "I think we should just enter the larger mausoleum. If that is our probable goal, we need to investigate it. The smaller one will keep. If it comes down to it, we could probably investigate it later." Iuartinco growled softly to Kor in response to it all.

Swami Monsoon
2013-03-14, 10:58 AM
Akbar moves back toward the group.

"There's nothing waiting in the weeds. If there's anything hiding out here, it's behind one of those doors..."

ptdapen
2013-03-14, 03:31 PM
Szar'tek listens to the voices from the ring, wondering if this was such a good idea. After all, what if he didn't want to hear them? "We should leave the dead to their tomb. There is no honor in looting someone you did not kill. Of course, we should go in there if the drow are there."

This is the first time I'm playing an Incarnum character, so hopefully I'm not using the system wrong:

Soulmelds:
Totem Avatar (Shoulder Bind)
-Chakra Bound (Shoulder)
-2 Essentia

Urskan Greaves (Feet Bind)
-Chakra Bound (Feet)

Blink Shirt (Heart Bind)
-2 Essentia

Rageclaws (Hand Bind)

Lammasu Mantle (Arm Bind)
-Charka Bound (Arms)
-2 Essentia

Unicorn Horn (Brow Bind)
-Chakra Bound (Totem)
-1 Essentia

Silver Night
2013-03-15, 01:52 AM
"My concern would be that after we enter the large tomb, something comes out of the smaller one and flanks us. I would rather not be stuck between a bunch of drow and a bundle of zombies or what have you." Sketch shrugs, "I will defer to the group, but I suggest we at least take a peek at what is happening with the smaller tomb, if it shows signs of recent activity."

THEChanger
2013-03-15, 02:12 AM
"Well, if someone were willing to pop the door for me, I would be willing to give it a look over. I would perhaps be unconspicuous, being a cat and such." Yrael hopped off Kor's shoulders, swishing it's tail back and forth. It was nice to have someone to ride on again. Lord Daggerdale insisted that Yrael act as a cat was expected to behave. It was, in a word, boring.

Haluesen
2013-03-15, 02:26 AM
Veyshankor looked down at Yrael and nodded. "It's true, you make a point Sketch. I suppose Yrael and I could both check it out. But we don't need to go far in. Just a look to be sure we won't be ambushed. You could be...inconspicuous, I' can hang back not far behind. But perhaps the rest of you can continue into the larger mausoleum. If, hypothetically, foes were to come from both ways, then they would both be covered." He looked down to his companion and smiled lightly, still gripping a dagger as though it were absolutely casual. "The three of us can likely handle a handful of undead should it come to it, does anyone disagree?" Veyshankor made the best suggestion he felt he could, but he didn't entirely expect it to be listened to.

Swami Monsoon
2013-03-15, 10:41 AM
"I agree that we should clear both tombs, but we should do it as a group. We really have no idea what's in there..."

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-03-15, 11:48 AM
Varden

Varden clinically adds to the discussion: "If we open the small mausoleum, we should leave the big one closed. Also, if there are undead inside, they will likely attack any living creature, whether it is a cat, a human or an animated piece of fruit. Sketch has a good point, it might be in our benefit to check out the smaller tomb first, and yes, we should do so as a team."

DM:
I did not specifiy I was looking for traps on that door. Did you assume I was and did I not find any, or did you assume I wasn't and do I still have to do that?

Silver Night
2013-03-15, 08:55 PM
Sketch flies over to study the door of the small mausoleum, careful not to touch down, "If anyone has the capability, we could leave a trap or other alarm at the entrance when we go inside, so we have warning in case anyone does try to sneak up on us. Otherwise I suggest we get to it, those ears won't cut themselves off. Why plaster up the door, do you think?"

Haluesen
2013-03-15, 09:06 PM
Veyshankor looked at the others and shrugged lightly. "If that would be easier than so be it, I don't mind." He kept a ways back from the door and looked at it. "Unfortunately I did not meditate on any kind of magic than could serve as an alarm in case of danger. If the other door could remain sealed, then we should check here. Otherwise whichever we check, the possibility of an ambush remains. I guess the could simply keep one of us who is extremely perceptive at the rear of the group, and not alone, to prevent a completely overwhelming assault." He crouched low to the ground and looked at the door, his eyes narrowed. "Why indeed...I haven't the faintest clue." He could only give another shrug of his shoulders.

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-03-16, 09:34 AM
Varden

"I would guess to keep people like us out, or whatever is inside in, Sketch," she shrugs, "who knows?" Does anyone have a good way to open this door in a non-destructive manner?"

Swami Monsoon
2013-03-16, 11:29 AM
"I wonder if acid will loosen that mortar..."

Akbar steps up to the tomb and spits a small stream of acid at the seam where the door meets the wall.

Testing to see what effect acid breath would have on the mortar.

FyreByrd
2013-03-18, 10:01 AM
The stream of acid melts the plaster quite effectively in the spot that Akbar tests it. It is obvious if that is continued the rest of the plaster will melt, and the door will be freed. However it does make a light "sizzling" sound, like that of frying bacon.

Swami Monsoon
2013-03-18, 10:52 AM
"Would you like me to unseal the whole thing?"

Haluesen
2013-03-18, 11:08 AM
Veyshankor shrugged and watched while they worked. "You may as well. Or at least exactly as much is needed to get us in." He held onto one of his daggers, staying ready while staring at the door.

Silver Night
2013-03-18, 02:30 PM
Sketch carefully positions herself to one side of the door, out of the way if anything comes rushing out.

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-03-18, 02:34 PM
Varden

Varden nods: "Sure, why not?". Just like Sketch, she finds a place next to the door from where she can act from concealment.

Swami Monsoon
2013-03-18, 02:58 PM
"Careful, everybody. I've warded you all against my breath, but this might still sting if you get it in your eyes..."

Akbar stands at an angle to the door, about 40 feet away, so that he won't be immediately visible from inside if it swings or falls open. He takes a deep breath and then sends a jet of acid playing over the edges of the door...

Acid breath (60' line) at door.
Damage (if needed) [roll0]

Reminder that group is all buffed with Endure Elements
(Dialogue is just for fluff)

FyreByrd
2013-03-19, 08:44 AM
The rest of the plaster melts away, forming a rather strange smelling smoke, and creating a loud sizzling noise. After a quick look it appears that the door, should be able to be pushed open easily now.

Silver Night
2013-03-19, 02:36 PM
Sketch makes sure she is invisible again, "Who wants to do the honors? If there is anything in there it's likely hears us."

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-03-19, 02:45 PM
Varden

Varden waits hoping for a brave soul volunteering to open the door. After all, she checked for traps, it is not locked, her job concerning the door was done.

ptdapen
2013-03-19, 03:17 PM
Szar'tek lets out a quiet chuckle. "No need to be afraid. I will open this door," He stands at the entrance, waiting for everyone else to be prepared before he pushes it.

Haluesen
2013-03-19, 07:09 PM
Veyshankor moved behind Szar'tek a bit and held his daggers at his sides. "You do seem the best here suited for it. Lead on." He of course referred to the lizardfolk's toughness, which was obviously above the majority of theirs. Still, being ready to immediately back him up seemed like a good idea. Iaurtinco stayed back farther, crouched with a low growl emanating from him.

Silver Night
2013-03-19, 10:49 PM
Sketch indicates through the ring that she is ready. She hovers with her blades out.

Swami Monsoon
2013-03-19, 11:16 PM
Akbar once again fades from view as he waits near the back of the group...

Activate Invisibility

FyreByrd
2013-03-20, 05:08 AM
Two ornately carved stone coffins lie side by side against the wall accross from the door. Dust lies thick on the floor, although there are a few small piles of lighter coloured dirt near the two coffins. The air is deathly still.

Silver Night
2013-03-20, 11:28 PM
Sketch sheathes her blades and takes out her bow. She enters the room near the top of the door, hovering forward carefully with an arrow drawn.

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-03-21, 02:57 AM
Varden

Varden waits for those that fight with weapons to have entered. There's no point in getting in the way. When the others are in, she follows, sneaking.

THEChanger
2013-03-22, 06:09 PM
Yrael yawned, and sauntered forward into the tomb. His tail swishing through the dust, the small black cat hopped up onto one of the coffins, looking at the rest of the group. "Well?"

Haluesen
2013-03-23, 06:45 PM
Veyshankor walked in with weapons drawn, eyes scanning around. Iautinco stayed a bit farther back so as not to overcrowd the place. His eyes wandered, taking in the small area, then he sighed. "Everything seems calm in here. Unless someone wants to check the coffins. But I don't think we should unless it is absolutely vital." He leaned against a wall close to where Yrael was.

Swami Monsoon
2013-03-23, 07:10 PM
"We should just make sure that there are no passages leading out of here and that the coffins are still sealed and not being used to hide anything..."

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-03-24, 06:34 AM
Varden

"The door was sealed. We can seal it back." still outside, Varden whispers in the ring. "Same goes for the coffins. We don't have to open them. If we fear a secret passageway, we can seal it." Then Varden sneaks inside and inspects the room for signs of activity.

Move silently: [roll1]
Spot: [roll2]
Search: [roll3]

ptdapen
2013-03-24, 09:58 PM
"Check what you wish, but do it quickly. There are still drow to be found and killed." Szar'tek crosses his arms, staring at the coffins and wondering if he will need to punch whatever is inside.

Silver Night
2013-03-25, 02:28 AM
Sketch puts away her bow and gets out her swords, then goes to study the interior of the tomb for treasure, occupants, or secret passages.

FyreByrd
2013-03-26, 04:50 AM
As you push further into the small tomb, the dryness in the air seems to increase. However it's when the small cat that seems to be following you around jumps onto one of the coffins that something happens.

A dirty grey mist seeps out from one of the coffins, the mist hovers for a moment then forms into two shapes that look like something out of a nightmare.

"Thought to rob the dead did you?" One of them breathes, "That's what we thought to do!"

OOc:

Map and Initiative will be posted in the OOC thread shortly, please don't post here until then, and then while we're in combat only post IC in intiative order
Thanks.

IT IS SKETCH'S TURN

Silver Night
2013-03-26, 11:22 AM
Sketch flies to E3, and takes a swing at the creature in E4

On her way over, she whispers into her ring, "I'm going to be behind the one next to the coffin - try not to shoot me!"

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] + [roll2] (Sneak attack - halved if they are undead)
If they are incorporeal, I'll leave miss chance to you - I knew I should have gotten ghost touch somethingorother!

FyreByrd
2013-03-28, 03:46 AM
The creature yammers slightly as Sketch's blade bites deep, however it appears that it hasn't done as much damage as you would expect.

ooc:

It is indeed undead, so sneak attack damage halved + DR

IT IS YRAEL's TURN

THEChanger
2013-03-28, 09:44 PM
The black cat sitting upon the other coffin hissed, its hackles rising, claws extended. However, it made no move towards the intruders. Instead, something crawled out from under the shadows. Something other. Vaguely feline in nature, the massive shape was rippling black and heat. It had claws, and fangs, and eyes. Of course it did. Big cats had claws and fangs and eyes, and this had to be a big cat. Just a big cat that had somehow gotten trapped in the tomb. What else could it be?

The big cat, or dog, or whatever it was, roared in the faces of the mist creatures, and swipped at the nearest one.

...I wanted a tiger too.

Using Summon Alien to bring a Pseudonatural Fiendish Tiger on...5D/5E/6D/6E. It full attacks the creature at E4. If any attack hits, it attempts to use Improved Grab and establish a grapple/rake.

1st Claw
To Hit-[roll0]
Damage-[roll1]

2nd Claw
To Hit-[roll2]
Damage-[roll3]

Bite
To Hit-[roll4]
Damage-[roll5]

We'll deal with any grappling that is needed in the OoC.

FyreByrd
2013-04-02, 05:00 AM
The strange chaos beast that suddenly appears startles you for a second then, as it rips apart the first of the strange undead beasts, the surprise turns to pure joy.

IT IS VARDEN'S TURN

ooc:

first monster is dead (E4)!

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-04-02, 11:05 AM
Varden

Varden was about to summon one of her constructs when she notices the ease with which the tiger deals with the foes. She reconsiders and stays hidden.

I delay my action. Sorry, that's somewhat anticlimactic, but I see no point in adding another behemoth to the fray (it would only block everyone else's path).

ptdapen
2013-04-05, 12:00 AM
"The dead rise due to our trespassing. Seems too late to make amends," Szar'tek announces, somewhat pleased by the impending action.

The lizardfolk rushes headfirst into the fray, aiming for the remaining monster. He keeps his cool however, as he believes these creatures cannot be too strong if one has already fallen.

Spent Swift Action Moving Essentia:
1 from Unicorn Horn
1 to Urskan Greaves

Also, I accidentally gave myself an extra Chakra Bind. Remove it from Lammasu Mantle.

Anyways, my charge attack:

Unarmed Attack 1: (1d20+20)[roll0]
Normal Damage: (1d10+7)[roll1]
Urskan Charge: (1d4)[roll2]

Unarmed Attack 2: (1d20+15)[roll3]
Normal Damage: (1d10+7)[roll4]
Urskan Charge: (1d4)[roll5]

Claw 1: (1d20+15)[roll6]
Normal Damage: (2d6+3)[roll7]
Urskan Charge: (1d4)[roll8]
Acidic Burst: (1d6)[roll9]

Claw 2: (1d20+15)[roll10]
Normal Damage: (2d6+3)[roll11]
Urskan Charge: (1d4)[roll12]
Acidic Burst: (1d6)[roll13]

Bite: (1d20+15)[roll14]
Normal Damage: [roll15]
Urskan Charge: (1d4)[roll16]

Horn: (1d20+15)[roll17]
Normal Damage: [roll18]
Urskan Charge: (1d4)[roll19]

This is more complicated than I thought. Hopefully I didn't get anything wrong. Also wasn't sure if you were going to make Urskan count for only one attack. I also technically forgot to activate my Acidic Burst before the battle, but if we assume I would have done so, I put it down.

ptdapen
2013-04-05, 12:06 AM
Both of Szar'tek's claws seem to have a chance to do some serious damage to his enemy...

Bloody Hell, both of those claws have a chance to crit. Let us see...

Claw 1: [roll0]

Claw 2: [roll1]

FyreByrd
2013-04-05, 03:54 AM
The second monster explodes, as punches, kicks, claws, and bites rain down on it from Szar'tek's body. No blood comes out, but bits of old dry flesh fall from the entity covering the floor, in an uncomfortable smelling substance.

ooc:

Squish squish squish

We're out of combat so post how you like!

Haluesen
2013-04-05, 10:10 AM
Veyshankor watched as the group quickly dispatched the mist monsters then put his blades away. "Well, that certainly wasn't what I was expecting. I guess that is our welcoming party. Are we done in here now? It's been cleared out, and I don't see an entrance to the Underdark in here." Kor spoke, making a face at the odd smell. Now that the menace was done with he was wanting to move on.

Silver Night
2013-04-05, 11:02 AM
"We should really at least check and make sure we aren't leaving anything valuable here. Seems a shame to leave it to a bunch of undead. Also, we have now confirmed that there are undead here."

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-04-05, 01:52 PM
Varden

"Sure thing, let's have a look." Varden proceeds to look for stuff that's dangerous, valuable or otherwise interesting.

Search: [roll0]

ptdapen
2013-04-05, 06:16 PM
Szar'tek spits on the ground to get the taste of rotten flesh out of his mouth. "You still wish to loot the dead after they rise to fight us?" he inquires while rubbing his hand through the substance on the ground. In the end, it is too foul for even he to take as a trophy. "Maybe you will awaken something that will be more enjoyable to kill. Or, better yet, the drow will come. Then we can take their heads and leave."

Haluesen
2013-04-05, 07:27 PM
Veyshankor sighed and nodded. "I have to agree. I don't see what these crypts could have of value. Disregard the dead more if you wish, but we must find these drow soon. Other than our pay, we also have to make sure that no other civilians are slaughtered." Veyshankor leaned back against his little spot on the wall again while he waited for them to finish searching.

Swami Monsoon
2013-04-05, 07:47 PM
"I agree that anything that actually belongs in this tomb should stay here."

Akbar makes one last check for anything out of the ordinary...

Search [roll0]