PDA

View Full Version : How to price this item

tim01300
2013-03-01, 08:09 AM
I have been thinking of adding items that set attribute points to set numbers, example bracers that set strength to 20, instead of +2 or something. So Someone with a strength higher than 20 would actually go down if they put them on.

Is this a bad idea? Have any of you guys played with items like this? And how would I go about pricing stuff like this?

All help appreciated

Lisselys
2013-03-01, 08:17 AM
I have been thinking of adding items that set attribute points to set numbers, example bracers that set strength to 20, instead of +2 or something. So Someone with a strength higher than 20 would actually go down if they put them on.

Is this a bad idea? Have any of you guys played with items like this? And how would I go about pricing stuff like this?

All help appreciated
It honestly depends on what kind of character would use it.
A rogue going from 16 to 20 is not that much, a Wizard from 8 to 20 is totally different.
I would place them as a continous item of Partial polymorph, thus working on a price of
4 (Spell level) x 7 (Caster level) x 2000 x 2 (Minute duration).
Thus going to 112'000 Gold.
The limitations are very hard on this, so I think a quarter of the price should be a fair deal, for 28'000 Gold.

nedz
2013-03-01, 09:01 AM
You could do something like:

Gauntlets of Ogre Power
Adds a +2 Enhancement bonus to Strength, but this cannot take you above 18 Strength.

Lisselys
2013-03-01, 09:07 AM
You could do something like:

Gauntlets of Ogre Power
Adds a +2 Enhancement bonus to Strength, but this cannot take you above 18 Strength.

Yeah but that is a limitation to the power of the gauntlets, not exactly (Read: Totally not) what the op asked...
I think the Poly item is the only way, but I would refrain from such an item, honestly.
Otherwise you could make them cursed items. Very very useful and tempting, but you cannot remove them and you cannot (for example) use something less heavy than a Greatsword.

Matticussama
2013-03-01, 09:22 AM
This is how many 2nd edition magic items worked (which, presumably, is why you're wanting to do it) so you might want to consider introducing them as Minor Artifacts if you're the DM. Play up the particular aspect of "they are magic items that no longer can be created, at least by common mortal means." That way, if the party really does want to create them, when(if) they do finally learn how to make them (which in and of itself can be an adventure) they feel some accomplishment rather than just the blandness of learning to create another common item.

That being said, I think Lisselys' idea of a "partial Polymorph" effect would be fair. The exact price, of course, would need to be ad hoc based upon the stat. 28 - 35k for a Strength 20, for example, seems fair. However, if you introduced another item with a higher stat (Str 25, or Con 30, etc) make sure to significantly increase the price.

ahenobarbi
2013-03-01, 11:20 AM
There is one problem with items like that. When you get one of them you want to dump the stat (or if you are pumping it anyway you don't use item).

For example: if my wizard got braces of Str 20 I'd wish I dumped my Str more (because anything I put in Str doesn't matter anyways).
If the character found Headband of Int 20 he'd sell it ASAP (because it's useless to him).

herrhauptmann
2013-03-01, 12:08 PM
There is one problem with items like that. When you get one of them you want to dump the stat (or if you are pumping it anyway you don't use item).

And if a warrior with 18 strength gets this Str=20 item at level 3, I'll bet he'll still keep pumping his strength as he levels. Eventually he'll find/buy something better, maybe a standard belt of giant strength +6. When he does, he's going to regret that he didn't pump his natural strength to 20+ (resulting in a 26+) because "It was useless to pump strength further."

For example: if my wizard got braces of Str 20 I'd wish I dumped my Str more (because anything I put in Str doesn't matter anyways).
If the character found Headband of Int 20 he'd sell it ASAP (because it's useless to him).
The whole issue of dumping stats even more seems to be an odd reason to not use these AD&D items, not every game uses point buy.

Or let the party warrior take the intellect headband from the loot pile rather than sell it. Suddenly, the barbarian is capable of a decent conversation beyond the whole "What is best in life" shtick.

You do come up with one odd point (sorta).
An item that boosts a stat to X is very useful to a class that dumps that stat mostly. Like gauntlets of str=18 is not very useful to a half-orc warrior, but to the halfling rogue it's a pretty significant boost.
Could create interesting party dynamics when it comes to loot division.

ahenobarbi
2013-03-01, 01:01 PM
You do come up with one odd point (sorta).
An item that boosts a stat to X is very useful to a class that dumps that stat mostly. Like gauntlets of str=18 is not very useful to a half-orc warrior, but to the halfling rogue it's a pretty significant boost.

My point is: such items are either useless (because you get the same/better stats without them) or make your stat without item irrelevant. I don't like such design.

And if a warrior with 18 strength gets this Str=20 item at level 3, I'll bet he'll still keep pumping his strength as he levels. Eventually he'll find/buy something better, maybe a standard belt of giant strength +6. When he does, he's going to regret that he didn't pump his natural strength to 20+ (resulting in a 26+) because "It was useless to pump strength further."

Well, that's a problem. It's kind of trapish design... make player choose between pumping strength now (without benefits until you make the item useless but making the character better in the long run) and investing resources somewhere else (getting benefits now but quite possibly crippling character in the long run).

Also it would probably boost casters even more. They could be venerable with relevant fixed-value-stat-setting item while others. And possibly MAD characters. And poor folks who need to meet stupid prereqs.

I think I got a good usage for this:

Amulet of Weird Prerequisite Meeting
While wearing this amulet your Dex, Int and Wis are 13. Not only this lets you meet weird prerequisites but also makes you effectively immune to ability drain & friends on those attributes.