PDA

View Full Version : Soulrender[Artifact]

TheOOB
2006-11-12, 01:02 AM
The Soulrender[Major Artifact]
The Soulrender is an ancient and powerful weapon, reputed to have been made by the god Thaizdun to combat other gods. It's powers are both great and terrible, the blade rends through souls just as easily as flesh, and is even capable of killing a diety.

The Soulrender is a +6 keen ghost touch greatsword of wounding. Damage(including ability damage) delt by the Soulrender is unaffected by regenration, unable to be healed by fast healing, and is otherwise healed at half the normal rate(whether by magic or natural healing). Any who is slain by the Soulrender soul is completely destroyed, making them even beyond the gods power to be raised from the dead. In addition any creature of divine rank 0 or above struck by the soulrender losses all divine ranks for 24 hours, effectivally becoming a mortal for the duration of this affect.

Perhaps to dissuade mortals to use this weapon, or to create slaughter and chaos, a number of gods worked together to put a powerful curse of the Soulrender. Any creature who has a soul who is in possession of the Soulrender must make a will save once per day at dusk or whenever they slay a creature with a soul with the Soulrender(DC 10 + 1 for every previous will save succeded), or else go berserk, seeking out and destroying all creatures with souls they can find for 1d4 hours. After coming out of the berserk rage the save DC to resist the rage resets to 10. Giving the Soulrender to another does not change the save DC for resisting the berserk rage. The only way to completely avoid causing such a rage is to place the Soulrender in a place where no creatures with souls will come into contact with it. The curse can only be removed if a mortal living creature with a soul manages to remain in possession of the Soulrender for a full year without going berserk.

Method of Destruction

There is only one way to destroy the Soulrender, and that is to use it to slay Thaizdun, the god of the void and creator of the blade, with the Soulrender. This is made difficult as the collective gods long ago banaished the god of the void to a place far beyond the planes.

Strong Conjuration, Evocation, and Necromancy; CL 20th; 8 lbs.

Myatar_Panwar
2006-11-12, 01:58 PM
Hmmmm.... A weapon that slays the gods...... I like it!

TheOOB
2006-11-12, 05:24 PM
Hmmmm.... A weapon that slays the gods...... I like it!

In theory at least, a god without divine ranks still is likely to have a character level of at least 40.

Everyman
2006-11-13, 01:44 AM
How exactly is this a cursed item for a chaotic evil character? I mean...yes, they are now in a beserk fury and HAVE to slay as many soul-bearing people as possible. However, if this is in the hands of someone powerful and CE, I don't see how this artifact's curse is a problem. Heck, even NE characters would like it (LE might not, since it makes them act fairly chaotic for a while).

If you really want to curse this, perhaps the sword eats the soul of anyone who falls into a rage. In keeping with the magic traditions, I'd say seven times should be about right.

If any one wielder falls into a berserker rage seven times, then their soul and body are utterly destroyed upon exiting the seventh rage.

Otherwise, not bad.

XtheYeti
2006-11-13, 01:07 PM
Ok not bad but if a vampire gets its claws on this, or its given to an undead?Then you have a God killing being with no need to worry about any curse

Fredderf
2006-11-13, 03:53 PM
Yeah, I would make it slowly eat away at the soul of its weilder or something. Much more threatening than becoming an uber killer for a while, and the undead can just bugger off.