PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Huge Eidolon Wielding Cannons

mistformsquirrl
2013-03-01, 09:33 AM
So, long story short: I have a summoner with a mechanical style eidolon that wields 4 crossbows. For practical purposes this will be just fine - I don't intend for that eidolon to ever get above Medium size.

However, thinking about my little robot buddy has given me... ideas. Namely - what if said robot buddy were in fact Huge, and instead of wielding crossbows, he wielded cannons. This idea makes me happy, even though I doubt I will ever have cause to use it inside of an actual campaign. The image it puts in my head is glorious enough.

The problem is... err, well... under the siege weapon rules I'm not seeing any way for an especially large creature to handle such a weapon in the fashion I'm envisioning.

I admit this isn't entirely surprising - your average PC is unlikely to fire a cannon in the normal fashion, let alone attempt to quad wield them... but, just in case I've overlooked something or someone has a different (but similar) idea on how to pull this off... well I'm looking for ideas < ._.>

Note: It doesn't have to be especially practical. I sincerely doubt this will ever see play as Huge eidolons and siege weapons are both pretty impractical in most environments. That's OK, this is mostly a question of "is this even possible".

Matticussama
2013-03-01, 09:38 AM
While not true cannons, couldn't you up-scale the damage for the larger firearms based upon size increases? So take Rifles, for example, then scale their damage based upon size increases to Huge. That way you can use the standard firearms rules, and you're basically dealing the damage of a medium-sized cannon.

stack
2013-03-01, 09:56 AM
There are already firearms that are designed for fixed use for medium characters that can be fired normally for large (double hackbut, culverin, etc). A huge eidolon duel-wielding large size double hackbuts would be entertaining. You would take penalties for wielding an improperly sized weapon, though. Might be best to just get a huge double musket (3d12, I think, same as a large double hackbut). I think the double hackbut and such are just a way to toss in mechanics for medium characters using large guns.

As for actual cannon, being huge helps reduce crew requirements (being large makes you the entire crew for a heavy bombard), but won't reduce aiming or load times below the listed.

Slipperychicken
2013-03-01, 10:03 AM
Well, back in the day, they would sometimes mount cannons on top of elephants. Perhaps a rider could operate one of them?

mistformsquirrl
2013-03-01, 10:24 AM
Hrm, I suppose an upsized gun could work. 3d12 is the same functional damage as a cannon, so it wouldn't be hard to get most people to figure "It's basically a cannon".

Only negative is the relatively short range... 40ft, or 10ft if you fire both barrels. I suppose the question at this stage is "Do we go to advanced firearms or not?"

Because 4 Pepperbox Rifles might just be kinda awesome. Not quite as much damage, but still pretty ridiculous...

stack
2013-03-01, 10:38 AM
Whoops, the musket's 1d12 goes to 3d6 for large, 4d6 huge. Duh. Not sure on a 2d12 double hackbut going to large, that one is off the chart. Maybe 3D12 or 4 D10?

2d10 goes to 2D8 (reduce die size, double quantity) for reference.

Fouredged Sword
2013-03-01, 11:23 AM
40ft is about right for early cannons. The advantage was that with fortifications you could basically just sit back and keep firing at the very large target. Trying to hit a single person at anything more than point black would be an exercise in futility.