PDA

View Full Version : Chimera

Ardantis
2013-03-01, 09:44 AM
So, I just bought a Pathfinder model, the "large monster" and picked up a Chimera. I would love to incorporate the monster in the next dungeon crawl I DM, but I'm at a loss as to how to use such a monster in a dungeon. I'm familiar with the Chimera from Greek mythology, but what tropes/ideas/strategies could I use to employ one in the DnD setting?

Note: I play 3.5 DnD, not Pathfinder (although I will be reading up on it, so not out of the question)

hamishspence
2013-03-01, 10:49 AM
It's the Big Bad's mount, and the party has just entered the stables?

sambouchah
2013-03-01, 11:11 AM
It's his cave. He knows every twist and turn and how to keep his prey inside.

Ardantis
2013-03-01, 11:11 AM
Never thought of it that way! A Chimera would make a very chaotic and flavorful mount for a bevy of Big Bads. What levels might that be apprpriate for?

Are they animal intelligence?

Fouredged Sword
2013-03-01, 11:37 AM
Chimera have int 4, so stupid, but able to talk. They are prideful and like shiny baubles. They can be cowed or convinced to be a mount.

At CR7 they could be a nice mount for a level 9 or so big bad, making for a nice tough encounter for a level 8 party.

A spellcaster would be a nice pair to the strength of the chimera. The chimera can hover creating a dust cloud, and pop up enough to disipate the cloud to use it's breath weapon and have the rider cast offensive spells. The pair could focus on AOE effects that ignore miss chance and use the dust cloud as cover.

Ardantis
2013-03-01, 11:53 AM
That's awesome, and a super annoying mount move. I would agree with a spellcaster, although it's a toss-up as to whether the flavor is more divine (unholy charger) or arcane (twisted wizard's experiment.)

As for their intelligence and attitude, they would make a fascinating (and slightly creepy) dungeon encounter on their own- basically an abominable monster who is highly susceptible to social skills (sounds like something out of Labyrinth!) I feel a connection to Jim Henson's Creature Workshop.

Thanks guys!