PDA

View Full Version : Bard equipment help?

sambouchah
2013-03-01, 11:09 AM
So last night after some fickleness I erased a character sheet. I need help with my equipment. I am buying a Keen Rapier of Holiness, and a mandolin of musical perfection(+2 or more bardic music), and Heward's Heft Haversack. That's all I've decided on. I know I need wands, armor, and quite a few other things. Badge of Valor of course.

Anyhow, thanks, Sam

Postmodernist
2013-03-01, 11:18 AM
Harmonizing crystal echo blade. Get one. Flavorful and effective. Anklets of translocation are always great. Mithral breastplate is pretty standard for armor.

ArcturusV
2013-03-01, 11:40 AM
Usual selection of Wands that you'd want/need. Simple things like Knock, some from of healing, removing poison is always nice to have available. It's like a sweater, better to have it and never need it than need it and never have it.

sambouchah
2013-03-01, 11:43 AM
Usual selection of Wands that you'd want/need. Simple things like Knock, some from of healing, removing poison is always nice to have available. It's like a sweater, better to have it and never need it than need it and never have it.

I use that saying about flannel shirts. But we have a paladin and cleric in addition to a couple of my own healing spells. I was thinking Knock, Black Tentacle, Fireball(10th). But that is using quite a chunk of gold.

ArcturusV
2013-03-01, 11:50 AM
Eh, Fireball doesn't really Wow me unless you plan on going up against hordes of Mooks of some variety. Which might well be the case after all. But if you don't know you're going to have to do it then it's not really all that great a choice.

sambouchah
2013-03-01, 11:51 AM
Eh, Fireball doesn't really Wow me unless you plan on going up against hordes of Mooks of some variety. Which might well be the case after all. But if you don't know you're going to have to do it then it's not really all that great a choice.

Attack spell suggestions then?

Postmodernist
2013-03-01, 11:54 AM
Knock is always useful. As a bard, you're less of a glory hound and more of a Swiss army knife. You make everyone else better, so spells like glitter dust to disable enemies are ideal. Try and have some means of targeting multiple saves, and leave the direct damage to the melee and mailman sorcerers.

ArcturusV
2013-03-01, 11:57 AM
I generally don't use them as a Bard. Other guys can dish out damage. If you're counting on the BARD to finish off people with a spell then you're really up the creek without a paddle. I tend to run mine based off Illusions and Enchantments with healing/utility spells on wands and the like. Even if the Cleric does have healing available, and Remove Poison, etc, they generally appreciate having a backup and not having to burn spell slots on it.

Plus since they do have the spells, when they're not using spell slots (Week's rest in town, etc), they can top off your wand charges for you so you don't need to buy unlimited uses.

Ardantis
2013-03-01, 12:19 PM
There are more items for your music, I feel, although I can't think of them off-hand.

I would be sure to grab a wand of Enlarge/Reduce Person, depending on your UMD. Useful in so many places.

sambouchah
2013-03-01, 12:23 PM
There are more items for your music, I feel, although I can't think of them off-hand.

I would be sure to grab a wand of Enlarge/Reduce Person, depending on your UMD. Useful in so many places.

23 UMD. I assume it's worth it?

Miriad
2013-03-01, 12:33 PM
Depends a lot on what kind of bard you are playing.

These are some good items for all around bards

-Bow of songs (Use Bardic Music, add Charisma bonus to ranged attack)
-Gauntlet of heartfelt blows (Dragon Magazine) add charisma bonus as fire damage on melee attacks.
- Badge of Valor
- Wand of lesser vigor
- Infinite Scrollcase
- Crystal Echoblade (Harmonizing +1)

If you intent to fight and use bardic music I recommend picking up a Perform skill that doesnt use an instrument. This free's up your hands and allows you to join in on the smacking. (Example: Singing)

sambouchah
2013-03-01, 12:42 PM
Depends a lot on what kind of bard you are playing.

These are some good items for all around bards

-Bow of songs (Use Bardic Music, add Charisma bonus to ranged attack)
-Gauntlet of heartfelt blows (Dragon Magazine) add charisma bonus as fire damage on melee attacks.
- Badge of Valor
- Wand of lesser vigor
- Infinite Scrollcase
- Crystal Echoblade (Harmonizing +1)

If you intent to fight and use bardic music I recommend picking up a Perform skill that doesnt use an instrument. This free's up your hands and allows you to join in on the smacking. (Example: Singing)

Combat Bard basically. I play/sing my song and charge in to strike with apr. +19d6 electricity damage on Mosquito(my rapier). I bought Heavy Fortification Mithral Shirt so I am immune to sneak attacks and critical strikes.

Could anyone tell me if Improved Critical and Keen stack? because if so I can critical at least every few turns at 12-20x2

ArcturusV
2013-03-01, 12:46 PM
Sadly, no. Unless you can get the 3.0 stuff houseruled in. 3.5 over wrote it so that pretty much everything that improves critical threshold doesn't stack so no more 10-20 crit fishing kukris and such.

sambouchah
2013-03-01, 12:53 PM
Sadly, no. Unless you can get the 3.0 stuff houseruled in. 3.5 over wrote it so that pretty much everything that improves critical threshold doesn't stack so no more 10-20 crit fishing kukris and such.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! !:smallfurious::smallfrown::smalleek::smallmad::sm allconfused::smallyuk:

I wasn't sticking my tongue out at you, it was meant for the rule