PDA

View Full Version : Arvinon Sundered IC

razorback
2013-03-01, 04:46 PM
...Ina kug ba-bar-ra sab tumu mul nam-tar
Ina ges’u’ges da usu da ussa ana’am kig
Ina dirig ki’kukku gu ana’am kar su ti nig’u’rum.

-Fragment of the prophecy of Ul Tel'Menadian, Seer of the Third Court, in the ancient tongue.

A Brief History of Arvinon

The current year is 1245 FA (fifth age).
The Fifth Age began at the end of the War From Beyond and the defeat of Those From Beyond. The defeat tore the land asunder, with the Izvis peninsula sinking in part and creating what are now the Pryayatsu Empire and the Straits of Afin’Dor. The nation of Afin’Dor, whose rulers brought about the war, ceased to be while leaving island littering the Straits with ruins from their former glory.
Most of the times greatest heroes and villains of the time died in the war along with the northern god Falthur Deedkeeper. This included almost all the users of magic be it those who wielded the very fabric of reality, unlocked the powers of the mind, were friends of nature or followed the will of the Gods. The greatest exception was the Tower of Knowledge in the city-state of Arithanos, which became the greatest concentration of magic users of those who survived the war.
Most of the current kingdoms, especially in the west, were created after War From Beyond by those left in power or those who seized it. The notable exceptions are the dwarf lands of the Granite Kingdom and the elf lands of Gaermound-i-Alkarinqa'ara, although the former lost a substantial portion of its lands as the world sought to heal itself following the War From Beyond.

In the year 1242 expeditions began for the search of the keys that had unlocked the gates that allowed the beings to threaten the world, from the Pryayatsu Empire to the Tower of Knowledge and even denizens of the Underdark, each seeking to grasp the power for themselves or keep others from obtaining it.
In 1244, as governments and organizations sent more and more agents and adventurers, tensions rose and small skirmishes were fought amongst various groups. During the summer solstice, a black sun rose in the east and set in the west, emitting a cold and pale light. With that, the fight to capture the keys grew and wars were fought.
This continued for the next few months until the winter solstice when it was learned that a group of adventurers had been duped by cultists embedded deep within the Tower of Knowledge and the Imperial Court of Pryayatsu into collecting all of the keys. Sequestered on the island of Tigyo between the mainland and Pryayatsu, the cultist had succeeded where their forbearers had failed; they had opened a permanent gate to the Beyond.
With the creation of the fissure in reality the various forms of magic was warped and the backlash killed a vast majority of those who wielded that power, especially those whose power came from within. In one motion the cultists had opened the gate while simultaneously eliminating the greatest threats to their new-found power.

That was nearly six months ago. The various survivors are now in a fight for survival as more and more twisted creatures escape through the portal into this world. Rumors are that the fissure grows every day and that, if unchecked it will consume the whole world. Old hatreds and blood wars have been, for the most part, put aside as the realization sank in these beings had no interest in control but consuming the whole world and that the very existence of the universe was in jeopardy. Elves and gnomes worked alongside orcs and trolls.
Yesterday a Catfolk runner was brought in on the brink of death bearing a messenger bag. After handing the package to the head of your enclave, Captain Kgzik, he died. Captain Kgzik, a hobgoblin of some renown, took the bag to his ready room. An hour later the various heads of the underground enclave were brought in and were in there overnight.
This morning you were called into the meeting and informed of the contents of the bag: the means of closing the fissure. It was determined that a small, focused, well-trained group would have a better chance of success than trying to march a small army into certain death. That group would be you three.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc253/speedtrip/Mobile%20Uploads/Arvinon.jpg

The three of you are currently at the Eastern Base 2, situated on the eastern facing of the central mountain range, near what would have been the borders of the human lands of Halthus and the elven kingdom of Tauremena Eressea Aidanaru.
Near the 25 on the map

The word come down that Captain Kgzik will be taking candidates today. Each of you receives a summons and are brought to his ready room. As you enter you can see the other base commanders sitting around his room.

"Sit" he says with a feral smile.
"You obviously know why the three of you are here. The war goes ill for us. As we hunt out and seek to sustain ourselves these creatures from beyond find and overpower our outposts. We, here, are at times on the brink of collapse. We can barely feed our troops and the last incursion by these creatures was barely fought off. Time is against us. But a glimmer of hope still lives. You" he says as he points to Kotori "have the means of travelling with your ship. Unfortunately, you're ship is on the other side of the mountains. You two" as he points to Phobos and Tobias "have skills and abilities that, for the most part, have been lost since the beginning of the war.
He turns, hands clasped behind his back as he looks on at his commanders. All in attendance but the elven lord Tuatha Sulvio nod in agreement, as he shakes his head slowly back and forth.
"Duly noted" is the only thing that Kgzik says to the seated group.
Turning back to the three of you, he continues."We were able to find and interrogate one of the members of the Order of the Shining Star, the group the infiltrated the Tower of Knowledge. What we were able to retrieve from him is that the key, as it were, to holding the portal is just that. A key. He referred to it as the Eye of Infinity. What we were able to gather before he dies is that the Eye comes from the void beyond the gate. It is the link between our world and theirs. The Eye, when couple with what he called The Heart of Darkness, are the two pieces that keep the gate stable. By separating the two we hope that this will allow the gate to either cease to function or unravel on its own, given enough time. As the gate is the focal point for all the creatures coming through the gate, marching an army up to it would be folly. We hope, given your skill set, that you will be able to infiltrate the island of Tigyo, locate both the Eye and Heart, and either remove them or separate them. "
He slowly walks around the table before continuing.
"We have determined that the best course to retrieving the air ship is to take the route through the remains of the dwarven stronghold of Huval-virdhur-Dûm. While seemingly perilous, it is also safer than trying to cross through the wilderness with all of the creatures roaming the lands and skies. For this we have enlisted Gimel Axescar, a former resident of Huval-virdhur-Dûm, to guide you. He has made the passage twice since the war began and is your best bet to making it to the other side alive."
He pauses for a moment and lets the silence of the room stand before asking "Any questions?"

Doxkid
2013-03-01, 08:22 PM
"It seems counter-intuitive to put my 'skills and abilities' at risk on such a mission.

However I do need to return to the ship for my own reasons. The facilities here are sufficient for the simple work you have me doing now, but I'll need my proper tools and a..." Tobias' cowl concealed head turns, giving the impression that he is looking over each occupant in the room an the room itself.

"...Better atmosphere, if I am to continue making progress. What all can we expect to find in this fallen stronghold and what compensation can we expect for putting our lives at risk in this way?

<I'm Quite sure you're aware of my magical inclinations. Can I expect to find strong bodies for use in the army? And would you be willing to purchase such warriors once I have prepared them, as per usual?>[Kgzik]

Snowbluff
2013-03-01, 08:36 PM
Phobos

A creature clothed in twisted cloths takes a seat, folding his large moth-like wings behind him. He brushes his long purple hair back with his hand, making sure his antlers and antennae were properly displayed. Phobos does not speak. He merely surveyed the area with his eyes, which you could swear were your favorite color. He touches on the minds of those around them to announce that they had his attention. His role in the grand scheme of things was largely incidental, even if he was off to save the known world.

Morcleon
2013-03-01, 10:31 PM
Kotori Asobi

Leaning against the moth-winged figure is a young woman, wrapped in a large cloak, with gossamer wings. She blinks her bright red eyes, tucking a strand of silver hair behind her ear. "Oh be quiet Tobias. What use will we be able to take if we never put your 'skills and abilities' to the test, ne?"

"Anyway, Captain, I think it's a splendid idea. Also, I would much prefer to have an opportunity to study the Eye and Heart before they are separated. Side effects are entirely unknown."

Doxkid
2013-03-01, 10:51 PM
"I am capable of producing a full compliment of undead soldiers from slain allies and foes. Soldiers who do not eat, do not sleep, do not tire and do no feel fear.

There are few capable of preserving the lives of key generals quite like I can. Likewise, no other mage stationed here can boast greater familiarity with the living and the undead in concert.

To summarize all of this, as I'm sure you have already lost interest in listening what with that severely limited attention span of yours, simply teaching others how to use the arts I have mastered would be enough for me to earn my keep." Tobias' annoyance radiates through the room, projected mentally though his body language remains unaltered; he remains a stock still robed figure staring straight ahead.

"The gods of fortune smile upon you though; I would prefer to return to the ship anyway, so I will accompany you."

razorback
2013-03-03, 11:19 AM
Lord Sulvio begins to stand and the word 'insolent' can be heard before the captain extends his hand, silencing the elven lord.

"Maybe, Tobias, but you miss my meaning, it seems. Bringing an arm to the gate, gates of our enemy as it stands, would be folly. On the other hand, producing one once you are there... that may be the keystone to bringing ending the war."

Tobias only
<Even as the world sits on the edge of disaster you would harry my for a few pieces of gold? I am tempted to say no just so I can see that pompous elf smile for once and to see if you are the pure mercenary you make yourself out to be, but too much is at stake. We will move forward with the agreed upon schedule of pricing.>

Kgzik lets a small sigh before continuing.
Looking at Kotori he says "It will be at your discretion once you are there but keep in mind that the enemy will probably be alert to your presence by then and I, for one, would not want to dally with an experiment with an army of Pare'yakkvitixx breathing down my neck. But, who knows what the situation may be once you arrive there." His tone is slightly mocking at the end of this. "Closing the gate is paramount. At this you must not fail."
The assembled leaders look at the each other, some exchanging glances to each other, as Kgzik walks back around the table.
"If Nomog-Geaya, or any of the other gods still hold sway, may they grant you their blessing. And, if not, make your own. If there are no other questions, meet at 1 hour past dawn in the west entrance. Gimel will meet you there. Gather what you need."
With that he waves his hand in dismissal and the guards who brought you lead you out of the room.

Doxkid
2013-03-03, 02:09 PM
<Excellent. You do the world a great service; I'm sure the many statues erected in your honor will reflect the great force of personality by which you controlled me and my compatriots, not the coins you counted in the dead of night to ensure my loyalty.>[Kgzik]

<.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................( and so on)> [Lord Sulvio] It is immediately obvious there is no purpose to this communication. No emotion, no implications...just silence until he nears the edge of my telepathy range. Finally Tobias projects <So many of my experiments require the body of an elf...I wonder where might I acquire one...>[Lord Sulvio]

Tobias seems to be deep in thought as the guards lead everyone away, but that is nothing new.

At some point he breaks off from the group but barely ten minutes pass before he arrives at the meeting place and sits down to enjoy quiet meditation...ten feet above the ground, levitating by means of his strange magic.

Snowbluff
2013-03-03, 02:20 PM
Phobos

Phobos walks out, and mentally prods his compatriots. "So, what do you think?" <Kotori, Tobias> He does his best not to make any commands. At best that would make them nauseated.

Morcleon
2013-03-03, 03:33 PM
Kotori

"Me? I just need to get suited up to go out, then I'll be set." <Phobos, Tobias> Kotori murmurs to the both of them, smiling over at Phobos. She stretches, and latches onto his arm. "Oh, and I suppose a small snack would be nice..."

Doxkid
2013-03-03, 03:40 PM
Tobias
<Your personalities suggest I would be better suited simply killing myself now and saving me, and the terrible creatures we will inevitably happen upon during our travels, some time. Although the data collected during earlier travels together suggest I will easily survive this journey, the mental trauma of being in both of your presences for such an extended period of time is barely worth the security or reclaiming access to my research.

The Elf Lord will not last another hundred years if he carries on in this manner, for one reason or another.

The bodies preserved among my research materials should last another twenty weeks before natural processes come into effect.

This could very well be a suicide mission and, if I die, I will be most displeased at Kgzik. He should know better at this point.

I will need to replace undead that stood as my personal guard, which we lost when we left the ship several weeks ago. Likewise I need to rebuild my collection so I may keep the two of you alive until I deem such an effort inefficient.> [Phobos, Kotori]

Tobias does not so much as turn to look at either of them, staying completely fixed in space. Even without him moving a certain presence can be detected lurking in an around his body; his nameless familiar, or some other undead bound to his will most likely.

Snowbluff
2013-03-03, 05:21 PM
Phobos

"It is good to have you in such a good mood, Tobias." It's hard to tell if he is being serious or not. "Something to eat would be nice. I haven't had anything to cleanse my palate since that awful Filet Mignon. I didn't know you could make something so easily prepared that bad. How about some lovely grey matter for out illithid companion?"

Doxkid
2013-03-03, 05:41 PM
Tobias
A late check for my Levitate SLA, just in case:[roll0] vs DC 19

Roll for consequences (if I need it): [roll1]
Roll for Wild surge consequences (If I need it): [roll2]

A small stone floats out of Tobias's hood and orbits his head for a moment before slipping back inside.

>I have no need for food of any kind. I would thank you not to remind me of such base biological needs; I am more than mortal even if something like blood still flows through my veins.

Your analysis is otherwise correct, though I loath to admit the universe is capable of allowing such blasphemy; I will set to work tempering joy immediately. It would not do for me to be in a good mood.

This, of course, brings us to the question of "Why is the plant-maid so quiet?" I appreciate it, yes, but there is always that risk that her...inclinations...will simply burst forth all at once later. Literally.

...I will be rather displeased if I must discard yet another robe because of such an event. If I have any say in the matter I would prefer to simply die and lose the research that has become a part of this body.<

Morcleon
2013-03-04, 04:08 PM
Kotori

With a roll of her eyes, Kotori glares at Tobias, blushing slightly. "Hey, that was a special case! It won't happen again!"

"Besides, why can't I be quiet once in a while?" She sticks her tongue out, and tightens her grip on Phobos' arm. "Phobos, would you like to see if we can find something?"

Snowbluff
2013-03-06, 09:47 PM
Phobos

"That remains to be seen. Either way, I think the operation may be a more pressing manner, darling. Is there anything we can do to better prepare ourselves?"

Morcleon
2013-03-06, 10:47 PM
Phobos

"That remains to be seen. Either way, I think the operation may be a more pressing manner, darling. Is there anything we can do to better prepare ourselves?"

Kotori

Shrugging, Kotori continues to lean on Phobos. "Hm. If you say so. I think I'll wait until we leave to set up my defenses. More effective time and all that."

"Other than those, I don't believe I have anything else I need to do. I didn't use any of my supplies on our last mission, so everything's still set."

Doxkid
2013-03-07, 03:11 PM
Tobias

>I doubt anything of importance will happen during the first portion of the trip, our march to Red Moon.

A normal mortal has made a similar journey multiple times; there could not possibly be anything even approximating a legitimate threat to us there. Even if there are powerful adversaries in the area, that will only provide a means by which I can restock on my 'helpers' that much sooner.

My only concern is that we will waste time following said dwarf. If I wished to skirt around corners and skulk about as to not provoke the fury of some vole or mole or other low threat terrestrial mammal, I would have spent more time studying music or dance or stabbing those I disagree with using objects that possess either a sharp edge or a fine point at one or more of their ends.< Tobias fires off a pulse of Mindsight, scanning 100 ft around him in every direction for the dwarf they are supposed to follow.

Snowbluff
2013-03-07, 04:03 PM
Phobos

Phobos gives an audible sigh. "It would be unwise to act without caution. Tiny moles are one thing, but not every battle needs to be fought. Ideally I would rather not bother lifting a finger today. It would be so troublesome. I am not even mentioning how rude it would be if we were to invade someone's territory or privacy. Avoiding a social incident would be ideal." <Tobias, Kotori>.

Doxkid
2013-03-07, 04:30 PM
Tobias

>We need only be cautious in preserving ourselves. If the weak wish to dash themselves by sailing through the fjord that is our combined might, I see no reason to stop them; it will merely result in one less fool diluting the gene pool an one more tool for me to use for our benefit.

We are strong. We could easily take their privacy, their lands, their mates, their young, their minds and bodies and souls all in one action; I'm sure either of you could bring ruination to whatever idiot challenges you almost as well as I could.

We possess the power to do so. This makes it our right to do so. They may either evade us and live, or fall under that power and become examples for those that are slightly wiser and slightly luckier.> As Tobias broadcasts his thoughts an undertone of something like amusement leaks into what he spreads.

Morcleon
2013-03-07, 04:32 PM
Kotori

Giving Phobos a nod, Kotori shrugs. "Wouldn't we all prefer not to have to do anything today. But I do rather want to see what my sister's been up to."

"Yeah, while the dwarf may not have attracted much danger, it's probably because he poses none to whomever is out there. We, on the other hand, are at a much higher level of power. Anything wishing to challenge us will likely be quite powerful."

Doxkid
2013-03-08, 12:25 AM
Tobias

>Restraining the use of our might so as to not squander power is...acceptable.

I see no reason for us to take further action against the inhabitants of the that dark domain, assuming nothing comes forward with attempts to waste our time.< The watered down excitement is reduced to placid neutrality once again.

Morcleon
2013-03-08, 04:49 PM
Kotori

"Alright then," she turns back to Phobos. "Is there anything you need? Or are we all set for this trip?"

razorback
2013-03-09, 04:11 PM
As the three of you stand at the appointed place and time you slowly become annoyed by the tardiness of your dwarven guide.
Tobias stretches out his senses in search of the dwarf but is blocked by the how far he can see at the moment and there are no dwarves in attendance.
As the minutes pass you become aware of Kgzik coming through a passageway with a dwarf, deep in conversation, that none of you understand but what you are familiar enough to recognize as dwarven.

His moniker, Axescar, is evident by the long scar running down the left side of his face and neck, disappearing into the collar of his chain shirt, that narrowly missed his eye. Freshly cut hair and beard would leave you guessing as the his hair color if not for bushy, red eyebrows sitting on top of deep green eyes. Thin and rangy for a dwarf, he stands a few inches above 4 feet with two light hammers at his waist and a war ax across his back.

As the two approach Kgzik calls out "This is Gimel, who will act as your guide until you reach the other side of the range. He has laid out what he believes is the best path for you to reach the other side and I defer to his wisdom in the matter, as should the three of you. He is ready to go and, by the looks of it, so are you three. I bid you good luck. Whether this is granted by the gods or something you can forge yourself, whatever you do to succeed will bring a chance to this world. Now, I must be off to see about the diversion that will draw eyes from your path."

With that he turns and leaves, calling out to various command personnel as the move to the southern entrance.

Except for a few guards who begin to raise the entrance for you to exit, the four of you are alone.

"Ready" is all he says and you are unsure if it is a question or statement but before one of you can ask he starts to march towards the rising stone door.

Doxkid
2013-03-09, 05:06 PM
<Finally. Introspection loses it's charm when you are already aware of your own perfection...or near perfection, in my case. Soon...>[Phobos, Kotori]

Tobias lowers himself to his feet and pulls his mind back, just a hint of distast radiating from him. It is not so much because of the Drwarf as it is all of the feeble minds he touched upon while his senses were extended. The pseudo-emotion quickly vanishes as he pulls his awareness in to a small area around himself.

>Let us go then.<

Snowbluff
2013-03-09, 07:18 PM
Phobos

"Greetings, Axescar. I am Saint Venomcry."

Phobos gives the mental equivalent of a smile. "I would have to agree, Tobias. I would rather have this done sooner than later." <Kotori, Tobias>

Morcleon
2013-03-09, 10:06 PM
Kotori

Nodding emphatically, Kotori grins. "Hello Gimel. I'm Captain Kotori of the Red Moon. Let's get going, shall we?"

"Yeah... I wanna see what dear 'tsuki-chan's been up to. And I'm sure that Tobias would too."<Phobos, Tobias> She gives a mental smirk.

razorback
2013-03-11, 08:36 AM
Gimel nods as he walks.
"Just keep quiet for now. Once we are a few dozen miles out we can converse more if you wish."

As you walk out the gate the grim and dark sky, as if a thick smoke covered the skies, greets you. Stunted vegetation, giving scant covering, go out as far as the eye can see with no hint of wildlife. Gimel moves at a quick pace as the ground is quickly eaten up.

About half an hour after leaving the base explosions can be heard in the distance. Gimel only stops briefly as he looks over his shoulder and, as he squints and his eyes become impossibly harder, he moves at an even quicker pace.

About 4 hours later you approach a rocky outcropping. Gimel signals you with two fingers pointed up and then an outstretched hand. He disappears for a few moments and returns.

"The den still sits clear. We will rest here and take food, if that is to your liking, before continuing on." With that he leads you to the outcropping and into a small cleft in the rock that you have to squeeze through. The air is thick with a musk that has faded with time.

Without any ado Gimel sits and reaches into his pack and pulls out some dwarven Klut, a trail ration favored by the stunted folk, a small piece of freshly cooked meat, and a roll of some kind that smells of cinnamon.

Doxkid
2013-03-12, 02:06 AM
Though Tobias does not pant or wheeze there are still hints of weariness about him, as there always are when he is force to travel long distances. When finally allowed to rest he settles a meter or two away from the dwarf and, by the dint of his powerful mind, levitates himself; as it usually does, this sets him at 'ease' and 'relaxes' him, though most beings would never be able to tell one way or the other.

Wild Magic on Levitate SLA:[roll0] vs DC 19
Roll for consequences (if I needed): [roll1]

>What all do you fear might attack us in this place, dwarf? Put a name to this threat that is forcing me to slink through shadows like a common cut-purse. Perhaps I could make use of it...if it makes the mistake of attacking us, of course...< The last utterance carries with it the concept of being nagged at, closely followed by vague projections of the idea of fey, plants and young women/girls.

Morcleon
2013-03-12, 09:58 AM
Kotori

With a stretch, Kotori plops down on the ground. She smirks at Tobias. "Are you really that scared of me?"

She takes out a small piece of bread and begins munching on it.

Doxkid
2013-03-12, 10:23 AM
>If that is what you wish to believe, you may do so shrub. I have greater concerns than whatever darts through your simple mind for all of one brief shining moment, if you can sustain such cortical activity for that long.

Or...should I refer to it as 'rind'? If not for your sibling I could just...< The thought process peters out there, something like a person muttering under their breath when pondering aloud.

>And what of the fey martyr, fenced in with twigs and frayed yarn by his own volition? By now you usually spring to defend your mistress, snapping at threats until she yanks your chain back and tosses you a treat; would you deny me the amusement of measuring that chain?

Will you be feeding from her scraps, or did she pack something just for you? Kibble, perhaps?<

Snowbluff
2013-03-12, 12:30 PM
Phobos

Phobos speaks up, but in Undercommon. "Tobias, I would not question her intelligence... I think her attention span is proven by her affection for me. I think her primarily issue would be that her thinking is too linear." He then laughs. Whether or not he sincerely meant it as a joke is unclear. The laugh could very well be used to hide that he was speaking behind his lover's back. He didn't want to point out that he was not the "twigs" kind of fey, or that his twistcoat was a gift of the honorable svirfneblin but that would have been rude.

He sits down, furling and unfurling his wings. Long distance travel was nothing new to him, but being above ground so long made him ache."Hehe... kibble..."

Morcleon
2013-03-12, 02:49 PM
Kotori

Unfortunately for Phobos, while Kotori can't speak Undercommon, she does have a tongues effect active. But she's smart enough not to react as if she understood, despite the wilting inside. The plant-girl gives her lover a quirked eyebrow and grins. "Would you like something to eat Phobos? I have some peaches..."

She smirks, as if enjoying an inside joke.

Snowbluff
2013-03-12, 02:55 PM
Phobos feels more natural speaking in Undercommon, which is his native tongue. I was referring to his somewhat backhanded defense.
Phobos

The gloura shakes his head. "Awful surface food. I'll think I'll avoid eating until I can get my hands on enough truffles to make some mushroom bread." Being from the Underdark, Phobos does everything in his power to remind everyone else about how different his eating habits are. He wears a Ring of Sustenance because of his dislike for the over-sweet tastes of surface food. Everyone from the Underdark eats either spiders or mushrooms. Not many other foods can be found down there.

Morcleon
2013-03-12, 03:16 PM
What about his backhanded defense?

Kotori

With a bit of a downcast look, Kotori nods. "Ah, right, I forgot about your dislike of surface food. I may have some mushroom bread left from the last time you made some." She digs around in her bag for half a minute before triumphantly pulling out a paper-wrapped slice of Phobos' Mushroom Bread™. "There we go! ^_^"

Snowbluff
2013-03-12, 03:25 PM
His defense of Kotori was "She's bad, but not in that way." :smalltongue:

Phobos

Phobos takes the bread in his wrapped hand. His iridescent eyes turns towards Kotori. An eyebrow cocked, he says "Well, now I know why it seems each loaf is gone before I eat all of it. Thank you, zuccherosa." He lowers the cloth covering his face, revealing his flawless ivory skin. A less benevolent creature with such beauty would burn those who looked upon him. Fortunately, Phobos has no such inclinations.

Morcleon
2013-03-12, 03:31 PM
Oh, I know that. Kotori still doesn't like it though... :smalltongue:

Kotori

Kotori blushes deeply as she sees Phobos' face. "Ah, y- yes. Sorry about that... It's really good bread."

Snowbluff
2013-03-12, 03:39 PM
Phobos

"It's really not. I had to learn to make it myself. The only other times I got to eat were the offerings of the locals. Many other fey and gnomes were better at preparing than I. The best was a seelie known as Alvasra. Her loafs were incredibly delectable. Words can not describe their perfection. I still do not belief that they could be so fluffy and moist." He shakes his head, and finishes of the loaf. Wiping his hands off, he gives a few more words. "Your palate is not particularly refined when it comes to mushrooms, is it? That loaf was common fairy ring quality. Not very good."

Morcleon
2013-03-12, 03:51 PM
Kotori

Shrugging, Kotori smiles and leans back. "Hm. I still like it though. Never really had any other mushroom bread." She gives Phobos a sideways glance before muttering, "So then, this Alvasra. Tell me about her..."

razorback
2013-03-12, 04:11 PM
Tobias

Tobias receives images of creatures that, on the surface, bear some resemblance to himself superficially in structure if not size, before the dwarf snaps his force of will in place, ending the images.

Here is one of the images tha appears http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc253/speedtrip/Mobile%20Uploads/buildingoccupant.jpg

"Don't go where you're not invited, beasty." Gimil says in Tobias' direction.

"You three know about creatures who now walk the lands that have no right to exist. The aren't the worst, by far, that I've seen. Behemoths that fly, swallowing the souls and sanity of those not wary. Vaunted though you think your powers may be but insignificant next to these nether creatures. Like a thief we move and stealing we are, but a few more precious moments of life if they be."" with that he takes another bite of the meat of dubious origin.

"My job is to get you to the other side of the mountains, safe and sound, by any means. To me that means as few run ins as possible." Finishing his meal he stands, although with his height he has to duck a bit, and dusts off his hands on his pants.
"Stay hear for now and keep the noise down. I'm going to have a look around and check the signs. If all is well we will continue in about half an hour. If not, we'll... we may be spending the night here." He turns and starts to crawl out but pauses for a moment.
"Iffin' you don't mind, I'd like a piece of that mushroom bread when I get back. " before continuing out of sight.

Doxkid
2013-03-12, 05:53 PM
Tobias

<Excellent. I've been hoping to get samples of something more interesting than gnoll warriors with fleas. That is obviously not something I have run into before, but it bears similarity to many such beings...perhaps we will get to observe them in their natural habitat soon...>[Phobos, Kotori]

Tobias ponders over the being for a while, wondering what it could be and (more importantly) the physiology behind it.

razorback
2013-03-14, 07:41 AM
After nearly half an hour Gimil comes back.

"If you three are just about ready, it looks like the skies are clear. It looks like Kgzik's diversion was successful. Hopefully they made it back to base."

If any of the mushroom bread is left and offered, he eats it with relish.

As he shoulders his pack and sets his axe in place, he looks back at the three of you.
"We have about 2 days more travel, at this pace, until we reach the remains of the eastern gate. My hope is we do not run into anything out in the open as, if combat happens, like will attract like and we could quickly become overwhelmed. Just because the sky behemoths are not visible right now doesn't mean we couldn't be overwhelmed by a small army of Meenlocks, as I've seen before. Huge packs of them, like crazed wolves, stalk this area. So keep sharp. We travel fast from here. Call out before your tired so we can rest. Being tired and getting into a fight is a sure way to get yourself, and the rest of us, killed. Anything else before we set off?"

Morcleon
2013-03-14, 04:17 PM
Kotori

Getting up from her position on the ground, Kotori nods with a smirk. "I'm ready. And don't worry. I won't get tired."

Snowbluff
2013-03-14, 04:36 PM
Phobos

"Yes, you owe me some mushroom bread when we make it back." He smirks be fore replacing the wrappings on his face.

Doxkid
2013-03-14, 11:22 PM
Tobias
>...More walking?

So be it.<

Tobias sinks to ground level and follows the dwarf, his mind once again extending to read everything around the group. Now, though, he does not particularly pay any attention to what minds are nearby or how many...rather he is looking for any minds that rapidly approach or remain within his detection radius for an extended period of time.

Morcleon
2013-03-20, 07:19 AM
Kotori

Giving the area around her a bored glance, Kotori amuses herself by floating tiny shards of mind blade around her before reforming them. ^.^~~{~@

razorback
2013-03-20, 08:26 AM
The three of you follow the lean dwarf as he meanders through the blasted landscape. Occasionally he looks back with a look of disgust on his face whenever one of you makes a noise, such as sending rocks sliding or stepping on one of the desiccated, brittle plants that dot the land.

After a few hours of marching you take shelter to rest under the lee of a largish stone that protrudes like a finger from the ground, giving some cover from anything flying above.

As the three of you take rest Gimil sits towards the edge of the stone, almost invisible as he sits nearly motionless scanning the area. After a time you notice his head, as it move back and forth in a slow, methodical motion, stops as he slowly leans forward. After a few moments he says "Gather yourselves quickly and quietly, we move now. Kluz guth dhumzik." he trails off in dwarven and you are unsure if he is naming his fear or cursing.

Snowbluff
2013-03-20, 11:33 AM
Phobos

"Well, the thing about Elvasra is-" He stops suddenly when Gimil speaks. "What are we looking at?"<The Party>

Morcleon
2013-03-20, 03:12 PM
Kotori

The plant-girl snaps her head around to gaze off into the distance, murmuring back. "Absolutely no idea, but I have a suspicion that we'll soon find out..." <Party>

Doxkid
2013-03-20, 04:15 PM
Tobias

<I expected some suicidal creatures to delay us. This will be nothing but a tedious display of power the likes of which no vermin here could possibly conceive or comprehend.

As you requested, I will not take undo action against anything we find here...but we will not show mercy to those that dare oppose us.> [Party]

Tobias positions himself in the approximate middle of the group, learned and natural magical abilities alike bubbling up in preparation for a vicious attack.

As an after thought he addresses the party's scout.

<Do try to not get in my way, dwarf. I have no need for your corpse at this time and needing to reanimate you this early would inconvenience me somewhat.>[Gimil]

razorback
2013-03-28, 08:06 AM
Gimil scowls for a moment as he points.

His untrained thoughts take a moment to coalesce.

<Devil Snakes down there. I'm not sure what their real name is, but that is what we called them. I see two of them and they usually herd other creatures as part of their hunt, something like hunting hounds.> He points as you a creature flitting between the rocking outcropping in the landscape.
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc253/speedtrip/Wildernesscheck1.jpg
<Since they are following our path, I'm guessing they may have picked up our scent. If this is where we choose to fight these things, then so be it, but 'ware for others creatures.>
With that you see him draw out his two hammers.

Snowbluff
2013-03-29, 03:51 PM
Phobos

"Devil Snakes? Is there anything I should know before engaging them?" <The party>

Morcleon
2013-03-29, 05:22 PM
Kotori

"...I think they're called neogi..." murmurs Kotori, a small preparatory spark of violet light flickering at her fingertips. "Either way, they're quite intelligent, and are poisonous."

Doxkid
2013-03-29, 05:23 PM
Tobias

Familiar's Dungeoneering Knowledge roll to aid another: [roll0] vs DC 10.

Knowledge Dungeoneering to ID the creature(18 +5 from Collector of Stories): [roll1]+2(familiar's aid
<Those vermin are much less interesting than the first creature you brought to my attention, Dwarf.

If you are going to have us take the most arduous route and fail in your goal of escaping the attention of the creatures while you do so, at least make sure the creatures that attack us are noteworthy. Unique. Worth my attention.> [Our Group]

Strange, otherworldly whispers come from Tobias's robes while he says this. Dozens upon dozens of images flash through his mind at a feverish pace, several leaking outward into that which he broadcasts to the party. After a few seconds hthe images come to be more and more similar to the beings presented by the Dwarf's mind...

Snowbluff
2013-03-29, 05:52 PM
Phobos

Phobos raises an eyebrow. "Intelligent and poisonous? I can't say that's very helpful. I'm asking for other traits, like immunity to certain magics and if they can change shape." <THe party>

Morcleon
2013-03-29, 09:28 PM
Kotori

With a pause, the plant-girl responds slowly, "I don't think they have either, actually. No, wait. They can't be affected by mental attacks. Of course, that's the only one I'm familiar with, so they might have others..." <Party>

Snowbluff
2013-03-29, 09:42 PM
Phobos

Phobos presses his hand against his face. "Well, the good news is that nothing you told me has anything to with me. I think I have a plan that doesn't involve me discovering anything new about them. I can turn into a swarm of some vermin and pretend to be a hivemind. Hiveminds are evil so these creatures will trust me. Then, I will use my inborn telepathy to communicate to them your whereabouts. Your false whereabouts. My plan is foolproof."<The Party>

Doxkid
2013-03-29, 09:57 PM
Tobias

Tobias turns slightly to regard Kotori with thinly veiled annoyance.

<...They are Psurlons. Pathetic creatures only capable of minor Psionics that emulate standard magic; at best they are a step above mortal men. They have no poison, and I doubt they will get close enough to bite you anyway.

They are no threat. Their telepathy has sufficient range for them to coordinate themselves slightly better than a drunkard forcing a limb's obedience, but that is nothing particularly special.

What little mystical ability they do possess will probably have little to no effect on us; at most the few foul creatures weak enough to fall under their thrall will slow us down, but those too are unworthy of mention.> [Party]

Images of these maggot-like creatures eating a from a still living humaoid prey are projected. This is followed by images of them crawling through lines of starved and mangled humans, some of the 'Psurlons' much more massive than their livestock and others buzzing with restrained magical might.

Morcleon
2013-03-29, 10:07 PM
Kotori

With a slightly dejected slump, Kotori scowls. "Yeah, yeah... they look practically the same from up here. Anyway, can I shoot it now?"

She wrinkles her nose up at the mental images, less disgusted and more simply annoyed.

Doxkid
2013-03-29, 10:33 PM
Tobias

<Do what you must, but you will refrain from drawing them into battle unless you see an interesting specimen among them.

It bares repeating that I am interested in unique subjects to study. If you do not see one of them that is at least ten meters tall, capable of breathing lightning, or at least imbued with the blessing of a lesser form of undeath, I expect you to not waste my time. >[Party]

Tobias levitates himself and focuses his mind on detecting approaching subjects once more. As per usual he is mostly screening the minds he detects for those that approach quickly, stay within his range for too long, or are uncommon beings.

Wild Magic on Levitate SLA: [roll0]] vs DC 19
Roll for consequences (if I needed): [roll1]

His mindsight is passing over most things that come within it's range (100 ft), only looking for interesting creatures (Half walrus Elans, for example), things that seem to be running straight at him, or things that sit within his Mindsight range for more than twenty or thirty seconds.

Snowbluff
2013-03-29, 11:07 PM
Phobos

Hang on, this will only take a few seconds. <The Party>
The fey seemingly explodes into a large number of shadowy creatures. They get everywhere. A few of them climb onto Kotori, and tear pieces of her jumpsuit with what seems to be their mouths. "We'll be needing this."<The Party> The warlock's voices are jumbled, the result of suddenly being many beings.

The swarm moves around the cliffside, and then approaches the creatures from the shadows. "Greetings, fellow consumers. We are the hive mind. You look lost."<The Creatures, The Party>

Wild Magic... I take a 10 with Arcane Mastery.
Motivating Dexterity.
Hide:[roll0] (Hide in Plain Sight, in shadows)
Move Silently[roll1]
Bluff: [roll2]

razorback
2013-03-30, 12:37 PM
The creatures move through the dreary terrain, seeming to fan out towards the three that haven't moved yet, in a V pattern that Phobos can see as he flies forward.

Phobos only

Phobos senses a strange sense of pique as swirling thoughts enter his mind.
We are not lost. Lost we are not. Seeking is what we are. Long are the days and long are the nights. But days shall end for those who are sought. He gets the feeling of menace come through the thoughts.

Snowbluff
2013-03-30, 01:36 PM
Phobos

Some of the swarm drop the bits of cloth."Good luck finding them. This area is littered with decoys. Foul prey who would not want to be found, will not be found... unless you have someone who has been seeing them. Do you want our help?"<The Creatures>

"You guys might want to do something. They are moving towards you. We are not sure if we can convince them to stop."<The Party>

Doxkid
2013-03-30, 03:20 PM
Tobias

<Did you happen upon anything interesting? Were any of them, perchance, naturally on fire? Made out of golden winds? Host to an untold number of spectral eyes?

If not you have my permission to eradicate this colony; I will deal with anything interesting that we find later.> [Party]

Other than his typical role of being the central hub of information for the party, Tobias continues meditating, looking as serene as possible for a terrible fiend that has become twisted beyond recognition.

Tobias basically accepts all information anyone in the party sends out and filters it using his near-emotionless mind and massive store of knowledge.

The end result is purely factual images,maps, charts an grids using information on the positions of enemies, what weapons or magic they normally use and are using now, the status of various party members and anything else the party is willing to share. Guesses are refined, opinions are kept as foot-notes and anything/everything is updated constantly as new information comes in.

Even odds and ends regarding whether a subject's mind is being controlled by another creature are noted; every non Psurlon in the attacking group is labeled as "mind-controlled until proven otherwise" in this instance.

Snowbluff
2013-03-30, 03:29 PM
Phobos

"Not really... to be honest they all sort of seem the same to us. Some of them are invisible, some of them are smart, but they all seem really intent on killing anyone they are looking for. I'd rather wait and find out if I can trick them before attacking them, either way." <The Party>

razorback
2013-03-30, 07:06 PM
All at once the moving creatures stop and turn, as if listening.

Phobos only

PHobos feels the thoughts... slither across his mind.
<Find them we will. Time and distance hold no bonds on us. Deviticus wants them... so Deviticus will have them. The Star Spawn has been issued forth... help or hinder... matters not.>

A few moments later the formation begins to move again.

Snowbluff
2013-03-30, 07:25 PM
Phobos

The swarm moves in front of them."Deviticus? That's interesting... We'd love to hear more. "<The party, the creatures>

"So, if does not matter to you, I can give you a clue. They are using methods to hide their tracks. Time or not, they will evade you if you act without this knowledge." <the Creatures> The swarm points off in some direction.

Doxkid
2013-04-04, 02:16 AM
Tobias

<Plant wench, your pet's negotiation technique is not slowing the approach of these vermin. As such, you and the mud-crawler will most likely have to correct this problem before it becomes my problem.

Both of you are to deal with the targets with greater ability first while interposing yourself between me and the more massive vermin; the primary targets will be more bulbous and possess greater mental capabilities.

Should any of these beings prove exceptionally hardy, particularly insightful or possess physical abnormalities you did not expect, inform me. You are not allowed to take action against them before doing so.>[Party]

With the lesser minds of his party put in their place, Tobias adjusts his mental map of the area to clearly indicate any enemy that actually comes to be within fifty feet of him is to be a priority and those that reach twenty five feet of him are actual threats to his safety.

Morcleon
2013-04-04, 09:55 PM
Kotori

"Hmph. First you tell us to target the ones with better minds, then you tell us to preserve them. Perhaps you should make up your own mind first." <Party> Kotori smirks at Tobias, before peeking herself over the lip of the stone, turning invisible as she does so. "Yeah, there are at least four of them being invisible, by the way."

Snowbluff
2013-04-19, 07:55 PM
Phobos

I guess I'll have to try and kill them, then. Do you guys have any ideas?<The Party>

Morcleon
2013-04-19, 09:45 PM
Kotori

Shrugging, Kotori murmurs telepathically. "You know the drill; point me and I'll shoot it. Or you could have me time hop a few of them away first. I think that would be best."

razorback
2013-05-19, 12:46 PM
Initiative
Enemy group 1 - X
Phobos - Action stopped here
Enemy group 2 -
Enemy group 3 -
Enemy group 4 -
Kotori -
Tobias -
Gimil -
Enemy group 5 -

Kotori only

Kotori watches as 6 wispy creatures, 3 on each flank, move forward, the first in each group moving beyond where he can see due to the rock outcropping.

Tobias only

Tobias can hear the nervous chatter of the dwarf standing near him. As he ponders reducing the dwarf to one of his minions, he realizes that he can now sense 6 of these strange beings that are obviously using some form of magic to hide themselves from his vision.

Phobos only

As Phobos stands before this elder creature, he can sense more creatures moving in and out of his ability to sense. The creature before him reaches up and touches a pendant on around what he would call its neck as he is communicated to <Deviticus comes. Your doom as assured, even in death... you shall not escape his prying eyes...>

Snowbluff
2013-05-30, 12:08 AM
Phobos

"Oh. That's unfortunate."

Reposition my 4 squares of me for covering the enemies.

Everyone adjacent and/or within me are subject to a -17 on saves (Mind-Affecting).

At the start of each turn the ones within me must make a DC 35 Fort or be Nauseated for the round. Using a Power/Spell in my area requires a Dc 20+Spell Level Concentration check.

Quicken Eldritch Blast:
Chain, Targeting the 'elder' I am covering, and 3 others.
Noxious: DC 33 or be Nauseated for a minute
Since no one has taken an action, Sneak Attack and Staggering Strike: DC 10+ Damage Dealt on hit or be Staggered one round.
Takign a 10 on level checks.

Elder
Attack Versus Touch: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Attack Versus Touch: [roll2]
Attack Versus Touch: [roll3]
Attack Versus Touch: [roll4]
Damage: Half above.

Everyone I am cover takes [roll5] from my swarm attack.

razorback
2013-06-01, 09:09 AM
Initiative
Enemy group 1 - X
Phobos - X
Enemy group 2 -X
Enemy group 3 -X
Enemy group 4 -X
Kotori -Action stopped here
Tobias -
Gimil -
Enemy group 5 -

Phobos' form moves to envelop the Devil Worm that is before him thought-speaking him. While he cannot expand his form to cover any of the other enemies because they are too far away, his attack sends the Elder creature sprawling as the blast of eldritch energy leaves the creature smoking.

The rest of the Devil Snakes continue moving forward, sans their leader, as they head towards the rest of the group.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc253/speedtrip/RanInc1-DMRnd1copy.jpg

As they finish moving the air is rent by sounds like the rock striking rock as the three waiting in the lee of the stone are blasted by unseen forces.

Unless I missed it, none of you have power resistance.

Gimil
[roll0] nonlethal
[roll1] nonlethal
[roll2] nonlethal
[roll3] nonlethal
[roll4] nonlethal
[roll5] nonlethal

Kotori
[roll6] nonlethal
[roll7] nonlethal
[roll8] nonlethal
[roll9] nonlethal
[roll10] nonlethal
[roll11] nonlethal

Tobias
[roll12] nonlethal
[roll13] nonlethal
[roll14] nonlethal
[roll15] nonlethal
[roll16] nonlethal
[roll17] nonlethal

Phobos, during this same moment, can feel assaults on his mind.

Two will saves for Phobos, please.

Morcleon
2013-06-07, 11:15 PM
[Kotori]

Wincing at the buffeting blasts, Kotori snaps up a faint amber barrier that dulls the impact of one of them. She retakes her position, then sends a hailstorm of glowing iridescent shafts at the invisible creatures.

Immediate: Manifest damp power. Minimizes the damage of the first concussion blast.

Full-round: Full-attack, directing attacks on all of the invisible ones. If any of them drop before all attacks have concluded, direct the arrows onto any left standing. If all have already dropped before all attacks have concluded, then direct remaining arrows to the closest enemies.

Crystal of Revelation, Lesser: Invisibility of struck creatures is suppressed for 1 round.
Truedeath Crystal, Lesser: Undead take +1d6 damage, weapons are ghost touch.

Left 1: Targeting IS 3
Attack: [roll0]
Lucky reroll (if above is a miss): [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]
Energy Damage (fire, cold, electricity, acid): [roll3]

Left 2: Targeting IS 4
Attack: [roll4]
Lucky reroll (if above is a miss): [roll5]
Damage: [roll6]
Energy Damage (fire, cold, electricity, acid): [roll7]

Left 3: Targeting IS 3
Attack: [roll8]
Lucky reroll (if above is a miss): [roll9]
Damage: [roll10]
Energy Damage (fire, cold, electricity, acid): [roll11]

Left 4: Targeting IS 4
Attack: [roll12]
Lucky reroll (if above is a miss): [roll13]
Damage: [roll14]
Energy Damage (fire, cold, electricity, acid): [roll15]

Left 5: Targeting IS 3
Attack: [roll16]
Lucky reroll (if above is a miss): [roll17]
Damage: [roll18]
Energy Damage (fire, cold, electricity, acid): [roll19]

Left 6: Targeting IS 4
Attack: [roll20]
Lucky reroll (if above is a miss): [roll21]
Damage: [roll22]
Energy Damage (fire, cold, electricity, acid): [roll23]

Left 7: Targeting IS 3
Attack: [roll24]
Lucky reroll (if above is a miss): [roll25]
Damage: [roll26]
Energy Damage (fire, cold, electricity, acid): [roll27]

Left 8: Targeting IS 4
Attack: [roll28]
Lucky reroll (if above is a miss): [roll29]
Damage: [roll30]
Energy Damage (fire, cold, electricity, acid): [roll31]

Right 1: Targeting IS 5
Attack: [roll32]
Lucky reroll (if above is a miss): [roll33]
Damage: [roll34]
Energy Damage (fire, cold, electricity, acid): [roll35]

Right 2: Targeting IS 6
Attack: [roll36]
Lucky reroll (if above is a miss): [roll37]
Damage: [roll38]
Energy Damage (fire, cold, electricity, acid): [roll39]

Right 3: Targeting IS 5
Attack: [roll40]
Lucky reroll (if above is a miss): [roll41]
Damage: [roll42]
Energy Damage (fire, cold, electricity, acid): [roll43]

Right 4: Targeting IS 6
Attack: [roll44]
Lucky reroll (if above is a miss): [roll45]
Damage: [roll46]
Energy Damage (fire, cold, electricity, acid): [roll47]

Right 5: Targeting IS 5
Attack: [roll48]
Lucky reroll (if above is a miss): [roll49]
Damage: [roll50]
Energy Damage (fire, cold, electricity, acid): [roll51]

Right 6: Targeting IS 6
Attack: [roll52]
Lucky reroll (if above is a miss): [roll53]
Damage: [roll54]
Energy Damage (fire, cold, electricity, acid): [roll55]

Right 7: Targeting IS 5
Attack: [roll56]
Lucky reroll (if above is a miss): [roll57]
Damage: [roll58]
Energy Damage (fire, cold, electricity, acid): [roll59]

Right 8: Targeting IS 6
Attack: [roll60]
Lucky reroll (if above is a miss): [roll61]
Damage: [roll62]
Energy Damage (fire, cold, electricity, acid): [roll63]

Rapid Shot: Targeting IS 3
Attack: [roll64]
Lucky reroll (if above is a miss): [roll65]
Damage: [roll66]
Energy Damage (fire, cold, electricity, acid): [roll67]

HP: 204/204
(Nonlethal): 88
PP: 167/186

Doxkid
2013-06-08, 01:08 AM
Tobias

The blast rocks Tobias in place, tearing his attention away from the advance calculations he had been performing.

[Just as I expected.] He does not even seem disappointed that his 'protectors' failed him. If anything, he is amused that it happened so quickly.

[Pitiful creatures...your insolence shall be your undoing.]

A simple pattern is projected from Tobias: a straight line is drawn within the minds of all those standing in a specific portion of his telepathy's range. The line's length is then described.

The description of the lines length is then analyzed using words from every language Tobias knows; the words are broken down to letters, each of which is assigned a value based on their importance to creating the meaning of the original words, how common the letters are in the words from each language and the differences between each language's words. Those values are used to create new lines: each value is considered and used to plot where the lines intersect and how.

The shapes created by these new lines are then described, both alone and as a whole. Information from the whole is used to create new parts that add to the whole, while the the parts each describe the whole and each other creating an almost complete design expands and grows into an almost incomprehensible pattern.

Letters of common and undercommon and draconic and infernal wash over each other, each forcing the minds of those touched by Tobias' strange magic to strive to complete the pattern and finish the design; every addition piles more and more information into the complete picture which then adds more parts to itself which then forces the complete picture to evolves based on that new information. It never seems to end, but it's just so close to being finished...just a little more concentration...just a few more seconds...

A vile creature chatters excitedly under Tobias' robes as he gathers volatile magic. All at once the magic is released; the flesh of each Elder Psurlon stationed around Phobos is abruptly and violently drained of fluids and, spurred on by the amusing display, Tobias' shadow explodes entrapping everything around him in darkness.

Tobias fires off a mindblast, aiming to catch as many of the enemies as possible in the cone.

Those struck by the blast must make a will save DC 27 or become stunned for 3d4 rounds.
--

Tobias opens with a Horrid Wilting, targeting each of the Elder Psurlons stationed around Phobos. 63 damage (as per the IC roll) to each Elder Psurlon, Fort save halves.

Casting quickened Darkness on the large Stone behind our group, granting everything within a 20 FT radius of it 20% Concealment.
----
Spells :
{table] Spell level|Spells remaining/Maximum
0|-|-
1|9/9
2|9/9
3|9/9
4|9/9
5|7/7
6|7/8
7|7/7
8|6/7
9|3/3
[/table]

HP: 244/244
(Nonlethal): 80

SR: 28

razorback
2013-06-12, 10:01 PM
Kotori lashes out with her iridescent shafts strike down all of the creatures hidden from normal vision that he can range, taking all of those out with multiple shots. As each dies, a small waft of what looks like smoke or steam can be seen eminating from the spot it was occupying.

Gimil shudders as he catches a near mental blast from Tobias, scowl on his face as he turns towards the necromancer. Tobias call forth his magic and directs the mystical energies towards the three Elder creatures. Each screeches out as each creature is visibly drained of its vital fluids, the skin of the abberant creatures shrivelling and flaking off before your eyes. With that Tobias causes the area he occupies with Kotori and Gimil to suddenly darken.

Gimil then turns to Tobias, hammers at the ready, as he says "What now? Do we stay or do you have something up your sleeve"

As he says this the two huge creatures move up warily, head swivelling around as if listening smelling something.

Initiative
Enemy group 1 - XX
Phobos - action stopped here
Enemy group 2 -X
Enemy group 3 -X
Enemy group 4 -X
Kotori -X
Tobias -X
Gimil -X
Enemy group 5 - X

Current view
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc253/speedtrip/RanInc1-DMRnd2copy.jpg

razorback
2013-06-19, 09:28 PM
Initiative

Enemy group 1 - XX
Phobos - X Delaying
Enemy group 2 -XX
Enemy group 3 -XX
Enemy group 4 -XX
Kotori -X action stopped here
Tobias -X
Gimil -X
Enemy group 5 - X

New map

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc253/speedtrip/RanInc1-DMRnd3copy.jpg

Kotori senses the last remaining invisible creature move off towards a different location, away from the fighting.

The vast majority of the Devil Snakes, stymied by Tobias' magically created darkness, move forward into a more offensive stance with much wailing, screeching and gnashing of teeth.

Phobos, continues to hover around the leader of the Elders as the creature hisses and a venomous message permeates his mind <Your mind shall be purged into the endless falling... and as your last breath escapes your body I will suck your mind from your soul to devour it...>

Make 2 DC 21 will saves for Phobos.
I know you stated OOC that you were immune to mind affecting. I am unsure where that is coming from. If I am wrong it will have no effect but the creatures wouldn't know this.

Morcleon
2013-06-20, 02:19 PM
Kotori

Watching Phobos fight the others, Kotori begins to cut down the ones closest to her cave. "Tch... so many of them."

Full-round: Targeting AP1, moving onto the next closest AP if it dies. Add 8 damage to each shot if they are capable of using arcane spells or SLAs.
Left 1:

Left 2:

Left 3:

Left 4:

Left 5:

Left 6:

Left 7:

Left 8:

Right 1:

Right 2:

Right 3:

Right 4:

Right 5:

Right 6:

Right 7:

Right 8:

Rapid Shot:

PP: 167/186

Doxkid
2013-06-21, 10:29 PM
Tobias

<You need a plan? Fine. The plan is to eradicate every trace of these foul creatures from what is now my territory, and then continue our journey to my research laboratory.> [Party]

Within the shroud of darkness Tobias reaches a leathery claw toward the last invisible enemy who dared approach him. A single claw flicks in that opponent's direction, attempting to snuff out it's life force and annihilate its body all in one motion.

<Since you apparently lack the strength or skill needed to attack our foes, stay here and pretend you are capable of defending the plant wench.>[Gimli]

<I am advancing, Kotori. Try not to die in my absence; it would make me look sloppy.> [Party]

Massive black and grey wings, each looking as if they were just ripped from the corpse of a separate avian being, burst through openings on the back of Tobias' robes. A single flap propels him out of the darkness enspelled area he established earlier, sending him straight toward Phobos and the two Zeugalaks. He coasts on the force of the single flap, gliding a short way before landing in the middle of the battlefield.

Wild Magic check to cast Destruction: [roll0] vs DC: 22
Wild Magic consequence roll: [roll1]
Wild Surge roll: [roll2]
--
||Standard action||
Casting Destruction on the invisible target near us. He must make a DC 31 fort save or die (The DC is 1 higher thanthe listed DC on my character sheet due to Destruction being of the necromancy school, which I have Spell Focus for); if he dies he is destroyed utterly, leaving only his equipment. Upon making that save he will instead take [roll3] damage anyway.

||Move action||
Flying Forward 60 ft and landing immediately on that square.

||Other||
Spells:
0|-|-
1|9/9
2|9/9
3|9/9
4|9/9
5|7/7
6|7/8
7|6/7
8|6/7
9|3/3
[/table]

(Nonlethal): 80

razorback
2013-06-22, 03:00 PM
Kotori lashes out with her attacks and the first line of Devil Snakes, with many screeches and hisses, crumbles under the assault. Her last attack hits the first of the larger Devil Snakes on her left, wounding it slightly.

Tobias, ready to take this to a more personal level after being taunted by the dwarf, lashes out with a mystic attack that vaporizes the last remaining creature, leaving no trace behind.

As Tobias flies forward, Kotori hears Gimil curse something in Dwarven as he says "It seems that you can take care of yourself. I'll watch the braineaters back." as he, too, flies off and lands near Tobias, hammers at the ready.

A moment later, the two Zeugalaks, in a lumbering gait, pounce forward and each lets out a blast of electricity that targets Gimil and Tobias.

DC 26 reflex save for Tobias for half of
[roll0]

Gimil [roll1] for half of
[roll2]

A hairs breadth later, the two Devil Snakes that were skulking towards the back move forward and bolts of energy fly towards Gimil and Tobias again, causing an eruption of rocks and dirt under them, nearly knocking the dwarf prone.

Gimil non-lethal damage
[roll3]

Tobias non-lethal damage
[roll4]

The one that was enveloped by Phobos takes a step back and Phobos can sense strange signs in his mind as he is assaulted by the creature.

DC 25 will save for Phobos

The larger Devil Snakes move forward, and unleash their blasts at Gimil and Tobias.

Tobias non-lethal
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]

Gimil non-lethal
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]
[roll12]

Initiative
Enemy group 1 - XX
Phobos - X Delaying
Enemy group 2 -XX
Enemy group 3 -XX
Enemy group 4 -XX
Kotori -XX - Action stopped here
Tobias -XX
Gimil -XX
Enemy group 5 - XX

Latest map

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc253/speedtrip/RanInc1-Rnd36copy.jpg

Snowbluff
2013-06-25, 10:30 AM
Phobos

Phobos flies up and reforms himself. He looses another bolt of eldritch energy towards the creatures below.

Moved 40feet up, (Standardish) to reform, Swift to Quicken Eldritch Spellweaving Acid Cloud on GP7.

Attack versus touch: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Acid Fog there.

razorback
2013-06-26, 08:36 AM
As Phobos flies up and reforms, a roiling mist appears and encompasses some of the Devil Snakes. The smaller of the group screeches out as it is seriously hurt from all of the damage it has taken.

Initiative
Enemy group 1 - XX
Enemy group 2 -XXX
Enemy group 3 -XXX
Enemy group 4 -XXX
Phobos - XXX
Kotori -XX - Action stopped here
Tobias -XX
Gimil -XX
Enemy group 5 - XX

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc253/speedtrip/RanInc1-DMRnd37.jpg
Green is the Acid Fog

Morcleon
2013-06-26, 10:23 PM
Kotori

"Oh shut up, Tobias. I can handle myself better than you can."<Party> Kotori rolls her eyes, then gives Gimil a nod. "Yeah, just make sure he doesn't die, alright?"

Now free from any distractions, the archer grins, settling down to snipe down her enemies...

Full-round: Targeting GP1 until it dies, then GP2 and GP3 and so on. Add 8 damage to each shot if they are capable of using arcane spells or SLAs.
Left 1:

Left 2:

Left 3:

Left 4:

Left 5:

Left 6:

Left 7:

Left 8:

Right 1:

Right 2:

Right 3:

Right 4:

Right 5:

Right 6:

Right 7:

Right 8:

Rapid Shot:

PP: 164/186

Doxkid
2013-06-27, 12:54 AM
Tobias
Dark arcane magic washes over Tobias, rejuvenating him far more thoroughly than divine healing ever has.

With a flick of his claw he weaves a spell around the heart and mind of the Elder Psurlon to the left of Phobos. The magic forces it's already straied heart to beat faster, then faster, then faster still as unseen horrors close in on it from all sides.

With a single snap of his claws he ends the spell (and probably the Psurlon's life) before taking wing again, moving even closer to the two Zeugalaks.

<Is that what you believe? Interesting. That would certainly explain quite a few things I have been wondering about...> [Party]

Wild Magic check to cast Harm SLA: [roll0] vs DC: 21
--
Wild Magic check to cast Quickened Phantasmal killer SLA: [roll3] vs DC: 23
Wild Magic consequence roll: [roll4]
Wild Surge roll: [roll5]

||Standard Action||
Tobias uses one of his 4 Harm SLAs, healing all of the damage he has recently taken and negating 150 Nonlethal damage.

This reduces his non-lethal damage total to 26.

||Swift Action||
Tobias casts Quickened Phantasmal Killer on Elder-Psurlon 2. It mus make a will save vs DC 27. If that fails it must make a fort save vs DC 27 or die. On a successful will save it is not harmed at all. On a failed will save and a successful fort save it instead takes [roll6] points of untyped damage.
||Move action||
Flying Forward and to the right, maneuvering to position myself to be equidistant from both Zeugalaks. My estimate is that would be 10 feet to the right (toward Z1) and fifty feet forward (toward them).

||Other||
Spells:
0|-|-
1|9/9
2|9/9
3|9/9
4|9/9
5|7/7
6|7/8
7|6/7
8|5/7
9|3/3
[/table]

(Nonlethal): 26

razorback
2013-07-02, 07:59 AM
Initiative
Enemy group 1 - XX
Enemy group 2 -XXX
Enemy group 3 -XXX
Enemy group 4 -XXX
Phobos - XXX - Action stopped here
Kotori -XXX
Tobias -XXX
Gimil -XXX
Enemy group 5 - XXX

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc253/speedtrip/RanInc1-DMRnd44.jpg

Gimil grunts for a moment as he looks towards Tobias, then rushes forward, dodging and weaving against the giant creatures thrusting tail.

Tumble
[roll0]

If fails, AoO
[roll1]
Crit conf
[roll2]
Damage
[roll3] + [roll4]
Poison Save DC 26 fort
[roll5]

As he approaches the creature, he lashes out with one of his hammers.

Hammer attack
[roll6]

Crit confirmation
[roll7]

Damage
[roll8] + [roll9]

Electrical damage from Z
[roll10]

The first of the Zeugalaks moves forward and blasts Tobias, Gimil, and the second Zeugalak, causing it to disappear.

Tobias & Gimil DC26 reflex save for half of
[roll11] electrical damage
[roll12] rounds

The second creature unleashes a multitude of attacks on the dwarf

+ [roll13] Dex

Tentacle 1
[roll14]
CC
[roll15]
Damage
[roll16] + [roll17]

Tentacle 2
[roll18]
CC
[roll19]
Damage
[roll20] + [roll21]

Tentacle 3
[roll22]
CC
[roll23]
Damage
[roll24] + [roll25]

Sting
[roll26]
Crit conf
[roll27]
Damage
[roll28] + [roll29]
Poison Save DC 26 fort
[roll30]

Meanwhile, the Devil Snake that Phobos had previously swarmed over beams over thoughts to Phobos <Deviticus comes... your soul he will stretch through time in endless agony... and I will be there to watch...>. With that the creature disappears.
The other creature fires a blast of energy at Phobos that lights up the sky with sickening green energy.

DC 21 reflex save for half
[roll31] sonic damage

While that is happening, the larger of the Devil Snakes pause for a moment that seems like they look at each other and disappear as a group, reappearing just outside the sphere of darkness created by Tobias. Three of them then enter the darkness looking for Kotori.

Snowbluff
2013-07-05, 10:32 AM
Phobos

He mutters something.
Move 80 feet west.

Word of Changing, Zrul1. DC 35 Fortitude or be a toad.

Morcleon
2013-07-05, 08:16 PM
Kotori

Blinking up at the four hulking beasts in front of her, Kotori sighs. "Tch... why do they always go after the archer? I mean, I'm not that squishy, am I...?"

She gives a mocking bow, then flashes away, reappearing in midair upside down. With a small wink, she unleashes another volley onto their heads.

Swift: Manifest hustle (defensive manifesting auto-success), using the move action to manifest dimension slide (augmented to a move action, defensive manifesting auto-success) to teleport 65 ft up and around 12.

Full-round: Targeting GP5 until it dies, then GP6 and GP7 and GP8.

These shots ignore all cover and concealment short of total cover and all DR. Add 8 damage to each shot if they are capable of using arcane spells or SLAs.
Left 1:

Left 2:

Left 3:

Left 4:

Left 5:

Left 6:

Left 7:

Left 8:

Right 1:

Right 2:

Right 3:

Right 4:

Right 5:

Right 6:

Right 7:

Right 8:

Rapid Shot:

PP: 152/186

Doxkid
2013-07-05, 08:52 PM
<I commend them for recognizing the threat of a powerful enemy capable of attacking from a distance. I expect as much from higher beings, pathetic as this variety might be.> [Party]

One of Tobias' shriveled claws flick in the direction of the second Zegalak as the other claw twists the air in the direction of the sole Elder Psurlon. Terror sinks its fangs into the heart of the Psurlon while magic tries to disturb the Zeugalak's nervous system to kill the creature outright.

Before either spell takes effect Tobias is already retrieving darks gems, in preparation for his next bit of magic

>Such a waste of my precious time…< Tobias lifts himself with his mind, levitating under the fading influence of the magic he expended earlier.

Wild Magic check to cast Finger of Death SLA: [roll0] vs DC: 22
--
Wild Magic check to cast Quickened Phantasmal killer SLA: [roll3] vs DC: 23
Wild Magic consequence roll: [roll4]
Wild Surge roll: [roll5]

||Standard Action||
Casting Finger of Death on Zeugalak-1. Fort save DC 31 or die. On a successful save it takes [roll6] untyped damage.

This save DC is 1 point higher than the normalized DC listing on my sheet due to Spell Focus: Necromancy

||Swift Action||
Tobias casts Quickened Phantasmal Killer on the last Elder-Psurlon. The same as before: will save vs DC 27 and, if it fails that, fort save vs DC 27 or die. On a successful will save it is not harmed at all. On a failed will save and a successful fort save it instead takes [roll7] points of untyped damage.

||Move action||
Since Tobias hasn't been Dispelled and less than 8 minutes have probably passed, Tobias will lift his body with the power of the Levitate SLA that should still be in effect on him.

||Other||
Spells:
0|-|-
1|9/9
2|9/9
3|9/9
4|9/9
5|7/7
6|7/8
7|5/7
8|4/7
9|3/3
[/table]

(Nonlethal): 26

razorback
2013-07-06, 09:02 AM
The Zeugalak looks like it is about to pounce at Tobias as Phobos flies forwards and, with his power, causes the hulking beast to transform mid-pounce into a toad, which flops down mid-air to land with a slightly wet thump on the dusty plateau.

In a mischievous display of carnage, uses her power to move out of harms way and rains down death to all of the Devil Snakes that were surrounding her, floating upside-down above the fight. She smiles at her handy work as none of the large Devil Snakes are left alive from he onslaught.

Tobias calls for this dark powers as he extends his hand and squeezes his clawed hand slowly. As Gimil is fighting the Zeugalak, the creature suddenly rears back as it screeches out in pain that nearly knocks the dwarf flat and then the sounds as the huge beast crashes to the ground, dead. As Tobias' other claw extends out, the last Devil Snake swats at the air and emits bolts of energy at the sky before falling back, dead.

The melee over, the dwarf grunts in what can only be called dissatisfaction as he checks your fallen enemies to make sure that they are truly dead. A couple of the smaller Devil Snakes, still breathing, he walks over and bludgeons to death.

Looking at the three of you he says "I suggest we get moving as soon as possible, unless this one as he points to Tobias "needs to eat. That one buggered off to get who knows what reinforcements is my guess and I really do not want to be around when they come back."

Morcleon
2013-07-06, 11:12 AM
Her eyes narrowing at the mention of the one who ran away, Kotori mutters darkly. "It won't get away that easily. I'm gonna go catch it, 'kay?"

She glances off into the distance where the invisible creature ran off to, then takes off into the air, keeping as low to the ground as possible.

Kotori will fly off in the direction the invisible one ran off to, running. With a flight speed of 140', she'll get 560' at a run.

Spot check to find the creature: [roll0]

Doxkid
2013-07-06, 03:50 PM
Tobias floats in the dim light of the cave at the center of a maelstrom of carnage. In every direction corpses have taken up residence beside stalagmites and boulders, their blood and entrails pooling into warm little puddles that now dot the landscape.

Over a dozen creatures have been pierced through and through with missiles. Fine holes hide under droplets of blood, invisible beside openings that spill gore into the darkness.

The flower-maiden's value may not be found through a battle of wits, but she is worth quite a bit all the same; even as she takes off in a pointless search for a single straggler she walks a unique line between bumbling incompetence and hyper genius wit.

Only a few meters away a cloud of magic eats at the ground, courtesy of Phobos' magic. Reality itself bends to his whims, blushing and allowing him to rewrite the laws of existence with but a sly wink and a salacity inspiring smile.

One such law was that one creature does not simply become another. An unfortunate casualty, the universe sacrificed that to keep the basic tenants of energy conservation and gravity intact.

May Heaven and Hell aid the poor mortals of this realm should he ever decide to prepare a cup of tea by simply suggesting the universe create more energy. And a cup of cold tea, while it's at it.

With Gimil ensuring each of the downed enemies stay down Tobias reviews the massacre that just took place.

The battle was sloppy.

His own spells were not used to their fullest. Attacks from the pitiful enemies managed to land, despite all of the defenses their party possessed. An enemy may very well live, should Kotori fail to locate it.

Still, death found those who opposed Tobias' will. A beast of burden, trapped within the form on a common animal, reels as its mind desperately tries to acclimate itself to its new body; for an an eternity or for however long it takes for a predator of the darkness to locate it, it will have to live with its new accursed form.

--------

Tobias' floats in the middle of the battlefield. The corpses of bloated beasts around him are set upon by bacteria, the energies of their life begetting the power and majesty of death.

The heart of a mindflayer knows only cruelty and anger. Dragons covered in green scales are all but devils in mind and body; their spirits enriched with dark deals and evil pacts and twisted words. Mortal men are the wickedest of all, spitting truth to cover lies and praising good while doing evil. Tobias is all of these things and more.

It is for the best that none can see his tentacles and fang-studded-mouth smile under his hood.

Morcleon
2013-07-08, 02:41 PM
Kotori quickly realizes her mistake, curving back toward the group. She lands on the ground, only a slight blush marking her error. "Yes... if we could continue on our way, that would be best, I think..."

Doxkid
2013-07-11, 10:29 AM
>I suppose we must...if only because killing more of this pathetic little things would be a waste of my time and power.< Tobias gently lowers himself to the ground and falls into position behind Gimil, dark magic sparking from his robes with every movement.

Tobias stops levitating, and prepares to march out.

Until he has completely healed his non-lethal and lethal damage he'll be Charnel Touching himself every round.

razorback
2013-07-15, 08:03 AM
As the group discusses their next move, Gimil reaches in his pack and removes a wand, which he uses to heal anyone in need of it.

He points first from the rocky finger of hills you are currently at to the far end of the valley, which lies in a somewhat protected depression, with the murky light shining down as the blasted land undulates from where you stand.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc253/speedtrip/Valley1.jpg
You guys are at X and he is trying to get to Z.

"My original path was to follow this outcropping to the other side of the vale and up it until the entrance point, as the hills on this side are aswarm with all manners of beast. But, it would seem that someone or something has gleaned our purpose and we are now being tracked. Time, it would seem, is even more against us." With this, the doughty dwarf squats down on his haunches as he shades his eyes and looks down the valley. "My intent, unless you object, is to take the straight path from here. While numerous, I believe that was an advanced party of scout that were sent to capture or slow us. More speed is what we need, especially if they know we seek to travel under the mountains. What say you three?"

Doxkid
2013-07-17, 05:41 AM
<We will take that direct path. We will always take the direct path. Remember that, dwarf.

Every moment wasted trying to scurry along in the shadows is another moment where my research becomes outdated, my experiments lie untended and the goal your leader imposed upon us remains out of my reach.>

Tobias' wings stretch out behind him and he reconsiders the Zeugalak the he just brought down moments earlier, a shadow of dark magic lingering in his claw as his wounds finish repairing themselves.

<...I would prefer to not fly the rest of the way though. Perhaps I should create something out of this corpse...>

Morcleon
2013-07-17, 03:49 PM
"Oh, come on." Kotori groans, stretching. "Flight will allow us to bypass all ground based opposition, as well as be faster than ground movement."

"And yes, animating that beast will help. Because then we don't have to carry Gimil."

Doxkid
2013-07-17, 04:36 PM
<The advantages of flight, which are mostly tactical or related to the time spent travelling, become significantly less attractive once one considers the amount of effort I would have to put into staying aloft.

I will fly only because walking would take even longer and thus delay our arrival and force us to execute more fools.

As for the dwarf...> A single claw point in the dwarf's direction, then flicks upward. Matching the movement of Tobias' claw, Gimil floats upward.

<You or your servant can drag him along as you see fit. His weight should not be an issue now.>

Casting my Levitate SLA on Gimil. It can lift up to 800 pounds and has a duration of 8 minutes; if he weights more than 800 lb then there might be a problem.

Wild Magic: [roll0] vs dc 18
Wild magic consequence: [roll1]
Wild Surge: [roll2].

My line of thinking here is that Levitate suspends the subject in the air and allows them to, if they can get a hold on something, move around. Because the consequence of his weight is no longer there (falling downward) a PC should, in theory, be able to pull him along with ease.

Morcleon
2013-07-19, 11:46 PM
Kotori

"Wait, Gimil can fly by himself, can't he." Kotori shrugs, stretching out her own wings and staring up. "We go up to the cloud layer, above, if possible. These don't look too high, so we'll only need to climb to maybe 3 or 4 thousand feet."

razorback
2013-07-21, 10:23 AM
The dour dwarf looks coldly at Tobias as he echos Kotori with "As she said, I can fly by my own power, brainer.".

With that, he eases up into the air independent of Tobias' levitation. Flying up a few hundred feet, he waits until the rest of the group gathers up before heading out. As the four gather and fly even higher, Gimil says "It might be best to use the cloud cover to hide our moves as their are beasties that live up here that usually don't go too low, so we normally don't run afoul of them on the ground. Have any of you any ability to far-see?"

Morcleon
2013-07-22, 11:26 PM
"Cloud cover is good," Kotori nods in agreement. "Mm... I can sense the auras on anyone within 60 feet and any magic within twice that distance."

"Other than that, I'm afraid I can't do anything of the sort, especially within a cloud."

razorback
2013-07-23, 08:22 AM
The flight through the clouds is an exercise in half seen turns of the heads and sounds heard in the distance but only seen out of the corner of your eye. While nothing ever appears close enough to the travelers to be detected by their enhanced senses, they can feel things moving around in the cloud bank that gives a sense of gargantuan mass as the shock waves of movement in the distance ripples through the air, disturbing your flight.
The four fly four nearly two and a half hours before the dwarf signals them to descend. Clearing the cloud cover you can see that you are coming towards the end of the valley as Gimil had shown you on his map. Creatures, in swarms and individually, can be seen doting the landscape but each horror seems intent on hunting their individual quarry and rarely look up to the sky.
Landing lightly, Gimil stirs up a small cloud of dust and ash that wafts and clings to his cloths, swirling about him as he moves.
Pointing towards a ledge he says "Stay there, I'll be back in a moment." Virtually disappearing to normal vision, the dwarf stalks off. Nearly 20 minutes pass until you sense his return.
Squatting on his haunches, he speaks in his usual low and gruff voice. "We be damn lucky to not run into anything. I stood want and it looks like, if anything saw us fly down, they didn't pursue us. I believe we are as safe as we can be in this area for the moment."
Using his finger, he sketches out a rough map in the blasted soil, a fair impression of the map tucked away in his pack. Pointing he says "We be here. I'm sure you felt the presence of the two sky beast, what Captain Kgzik and his hobgoblin ilk call Tlagkzukil Kng Vlaruk. Whatever that means. Well, the sky above the mountains is thick with the creatures and, while each the size of a town, they move quickly and can communicate to each other over long distances, so we would be caught and overwhelmed if even one of the beasts sensed us, which is why we go under the mountains. That is also not without peril but be our best chance." Scratching an 'X' into a the map not far from your position, he continues. "Iffin' we move silently enough, we should be able to pass the broken gates of Huval-virdhur-Dûm within the hour. There be a lot of traffic in and out the last time I passed the gates but it seemed that daybreak and the eve of twilight were the times that saw the least, at least from the scouting I did last time." Looking up and scanning the sky the dwarf makes a scrunched up face before saying "We have about 3 hours to nightfall. We can either make our way in before that our, if you three need to prepare your magicks, we can make our way before daybreak. The chances be about the same but once underground it be the same to me. What preparations do you be needing?" he finishes as he wipes the map out from the ground.

Morcleon
2013-07-24, 10:53 AM
Kotori's wings flutter impatiently in the winds. "I don't really need to rest. I've barely tapped my reserves."

"A brief rest could help though. Rushing in without thought is a surefire way to get killed."

Doxkid
2013-07-24, 01:15 PM
<It would be wise to return to full strength before entering a more dangerous area, but I loath the thought of dallying here and wasting time.

What little power I have expended is but a fraction of my full might. Unless one of you need to recuperate I suggest we continue.>

Tobias dismisses the offer of rest as he usually does; redirection to avoid admitting weakness. It is quite clear that he has plenty of magical power remaining and the necessary willpower to harness it, but from the way he minds his wings so they do not sag for more than half a second at a time his physical stamina has been taxed by the constant movement.

While he is quite capable of flying and fighting and imposing his will upon the world for hours, or even days if he is still as strong as he was back when Kotori and Phobos last traveled with him, he certainly wont enjoy it.

razorback
2013-07-26, 04:57 PM
Gimil looks at the group and leads you two a small cave that he had scouted out earlier, cover your tracks while setting up a blind with some of the unnatural shrubbery growing near the entrance.
Once satisfied that the small group has not been followed and that you are reasonably safe in the cave, he lets down his guard and rests, pulling his pack out and eating some cured meat and lumps of some unusual dwarf bread.
Sitting back, he watches the three of you in the dark room, most intently upon Tobias.

After a couple of hours with his eyes closed, he snaps up and dusts himself off. Stretching a bit, he says "If you are ready, we need to decide how to proceed. The entrance to Huval-virdhur-Dûm is less than a mile from where we sit. Based on what I have seen, I would say either myself or Mister Phobos should take point, with the other one of last. Next would be Kotori then Tobias. Is this reasonable? Next, the gates themselves have had some traffic through there last time, as I told you, but the creatures seem to hate the dusk, so we should be moving shortly. Stealth, it would seem, is of the essence. While we can expect a run in with creatures large and small, we will do best if we can keep hidden as long as possible and eliminate threats and quickly and quietly as possible if they can't be by-passed. It is easy to get overwhelmed down there by a hundred tiny creatures as it is by a Drow War Band. These are my suggestions unless anyone has any others. If not, let's get moving."

With that the dwarf stands and, with a look towards Tobias, unconsciously touches his scarred face before leading you out.

Hide and Move Silently, I think are in order, along with anything else you can think of along with any questions you might have for your guide.

Morcleon
2013-07-28, 01:34 AM
As they reach the cave, Kotori promptly sits Phobos down and takes a nap with him as her pillow. She curls up like a cat, resting her head on his lap. After a while, she wakes up. She stretches out, still lying across Phobos, then concentrates for a second. A burst of mental energy, and her expended power comes flooding back to her.

"I see nothing wrong with that plan. The sooner we get to dear Tsuki-neesan, the better... she's probably really lonely by now..." With a sigh, the plant archer flickers out of the visible spectrum. Her disembodied voice cuts across softly. "Anything in particular we should be worried about, Gimil?"

Exactly how many hours has it been? This is important for healing nonlethal damage. And if it's more than 2 hours, Kotori can regain her PP. :smallsmile:

Using ring of invisibility to become invisible.

Hide: [roll0]
Move Silently: [roll1]

razorback
2013-07-29, 02:56 PM
Kotori, after revitalizing herself, turns invisible to sight as she move out with a very stealthy dwarf.

Gimil moves foward, surprisingly, along with paths northern stretch, hugging the wall. He keeps just at the edge of the rest of the parties enhanced sense, motioning you to slow or stop as the situation demands. After nearly half an hour, the path bears downward along a dried up rivulet which, as you peer down, can see the entrance to the former dwarven fortress. Standing stock still for nearly 5 minutes, Gimil then moves quickly as he jumps and floats down, landing 20 feet past the entrance and turning to scan the sky. Once satisfied that nothing is approaching, he motions the three of you down.
As you come along the last approach to the gate, you can see the rent pieces of the once magnificent doors thrown in the open area in front of the entrance, leaving a gaping maw into the side of the mountain about 20 feet tall and nearly 50 feet long. As you make your way slowly into the entrance you are keenly aware of the complete lack of life surrounding the area. Even Tobias is a nearly overwhelming sense of 'weight' that the area carries, as if sucking both life and unlife away slowly.
Once past the entrance you make out 7 portculli lying, broken,every 7 feet down the hallway that is nearly 14 feet tall and about 20 feet wide after it tapers down. Skeletons litter the ground, both dwarf and fantastic creatures intermixed on the battleground. Hand held up letting you know to stop, Gimil squats down and checks the ground near the most intact portcullis, checking tracks for a couple of minutes.
"Something large has been through here recently. This slime is still warm and damp. We must get moving quickly as this avenue has no side exits for nearly a mile. Not a place to make a stand." he whispers harshly as he moves past the broken barricade.
As you move through the area, anytime one of you brushes against the skeletons, it wafts into an ash that floats in eerily in the air.
The darkness comes quickly and soon only your heightened senses, attuned to this environment, keep you aware.
After nearly a mile of this you come to a crossroads, with the hall going straight with an side hall on the left (south) and right (north). Gimil lowers his hand, letting you know to be ready, as he whispers "I hear something... faint. I can't make out where it is coming from, like trying to see a speck on the horizon, but the sound has become ever so slightly louder." with a small shake of his head he says "Our path continues straight but I am leery of leaving our back exposed to whatever may live on either of these adjacent hallways. What say you?" he says as he looks at the three of you.

Morcleon, it was just over 2 hours rest before the dwarf woke you.

Snowbluff
2013-07-29, 03:10 PM
Phobos looks around. "I can arrange a gauntlet behind us. A few tentacles, perhaps a Blast barrier, or a few Shadows," Her responds, via telepathy.

Doxkid
2013-07-31, 03:41 PM
<If these remains were still viable then perhaps I would allow you three to play in the dirt while I study. Since they aren't this is little more than another event delaying my return to proper work.

Still...prepare the area with whichever traps or spells you think are most appropriate for slaying the mindless drones that undoubtedly frequent this place. If a minute of your efforts remove the need for me to cast a spell later then time spent will not be a waste.

Dwarf, have you been beyond this area before? I expect more minor inconveniences ahead, but do any of the creatures in this area bear mention?>

razorback
2013-08-03, 11:07 AM
Slowly Gimil answers Tobias.
"Aye, some of those skeletons be some of my companions. It be more than 20 miles from the eastern to western gate, if we could find a straight path through the mountains. With collapses and, ehm, new residents, the best path requires going from different levels to make your away across. Avoiding the conflicts between the dark elves and illithid that have infested the lower levels can be tedious but fighting war bands of either, or both, can be disastrous to both our mission and our existences. We are fortunate that none of needs a light source to see down here. From the briefing Kgzik gave me, it would seem that some of you have other means of detecting our foes at a distance, which may prove to be the success or failure of our mission. As far as traps, the kingdom is rife with them and, at last pass through, are still working. If you know not the signs and sigils to look for in the dwarven tongue, the traps will snare you not of dwarven blood." he gives out a stifled, barking laugh before continuing. "That is one of the tricks that has saved my hide more than once along the passage under the mountains. The more intelligent fiends, I am sure, have marked these areas if they haven't been able to either detect or destroy the traps, but some are still bound to be working." Snapping his fingers, he removes his pack and retrieves three pendants. "Wear these. They shall allow you to pass the traps without deactivating them. The blood that courses through my veins is all I need to pass the traps. Now, if the three of you are done with my hand holding of you for the moment, we should be on our way. It is nearly a mile to the next crossroads but the one about 4 miles shall be our first challenge to pass while here. It is one of the great halls and it was infested by foul creatures, mostly a small army of hobgoblins and bugbears but they were lead by some foul fiend, it would seem, but we never saw. Stealth will be our friend at the junction." With that he stealthily moves out.

Morcleon
2013-08-05, 01:00 AM
Slipping on the proffered pendant, Kotori nods, keeping her voice to a low whisper. "Acknowledged. And if we do get spotted, escape is the priority, not killing. Gimil, keep a running list on the closest traps in case we get pursued and need to take out the pursuers. Phobos, lay down a gauntlet for them right before the trap, and as many others as you feel we need. Tobias, toss out a few spells if you need to, and afterward animate anything you can to act as decoys."

She looks around the group with a small smile, then fades into invisibility, following the group.

razorback
2013-08-06, 09:37 PM
Gimil nods as Kotori's plan.
"That be good thinking, lass. Let us resume, then."

Go ahead and roll hide, MS, listen, and spot.

Gimil does his best impression of disappearing to sight although the three of you can still sense his, and each others presence.
As you march through the darkness, something sits at the back of your mind, weighing it down. At first none of you can quite put your finger on what it is but each of you find it disquieting in his or her own way. After a small march and Gimil moves to check out a section up ahead, the three of you discuss this and come up with the realization that it isn't something that is make each of you feel uneasy but the lack of something that is setting you off. While your mystic sense have become inured to to the background noise given off by all of the small creatures of the world, from insects to rodents, that inhabit the living world. Your sense have cut off the small creatures from your normal feeling, the lack of anything that would normal set it off, except the four of you.
A short time later the dwarf comes trotting back, hammer held with black ichor still fresh and dripping from it. Pointing one of the hammers at Tobias he says "Maybe something you might want to chew on back there. Hidden the body but we should get moving case there were more of them about. It seemed a guard of some sort rather than randomly wandering about the crossroads. Except for some tentacles it looked to be a hobgoblin of some type along with some flying creatures called Urquirsh by the Drow."
With that he turns and begins to move back down the formerly grand hallway.

Morcleon
2013-08-08, 02:50 PM
Kotori follows silently, sighing. "Killing things like that just makes them realize that there's an intruder..."

Listen: [roll2]
Spot: [roll3]

Doxkid
2013-08-08, 04:41 PM
<There are Illithid here? Of course...of course they would take up residence here, where nothing can hope to best them...> Tobias considers this for a moment.

<It would be best to move on quickly. My…close minded cousins, foolish as they may be, are a significant threat. They do not understand undeath, or lichdom, or the power only necromancy can summon forth, but they are clever and powerful all the same.

A threat…to the three of you, of course. Nothing is truly a threat to me. No lesser being could hope to truly challenge my power, my wisdom, my intellect; mortal man, high fiend and noble Illithid all fall before my might.>

Move silently: [roll1]
Spot: [roll2]
Listen: [roll3]

Snowbluff
2013-08-15, 09:15 PM
"What is the term for Illithid lich? Ulitharad?" Phobos quietly ponders to the party, producing Chilling Tentacles behind the group. A lot of chilling tentacles.

Spot:
Listen: [roll[1d20+1
Hide: [roll2]

Doxkid
2013-08-16, 03:19 AM
<Do not mistake Althoon, those of us who pursue the noble art of necromancy and the blessed status of lichdom, for mere Illitharid.

Illitharid are nothing but common Mind Flayers who start their lives with a minor advantage over other peasants; they know nothing of of true magic beyond what little their creation grants them.

At best they are to us what Vampiric Illithid are to them.> [Party]

Tobias' mental 'voice' conveys strange annoyance. It is quite possible this is because of his old status within an illithid community but even Kotori would know little about this; he rarely speaks of his life before he was subsumed into Kotori's entourage.

<You are correct in saying the residents of these caverns would become suspicious if their guards suddenly vanished, Flower Wench. I doubt even Illithid would be capable of reacting in time if they were instead betrayed by their guards,> Tobias indicate's Phobos who could easily force common creatures under his will, <or attacked by several common undead. If but a single enhanced Ghast reaches the holding pen where humanoid slaves are kept...> Tobias broadcasts a few moments of the imagined slaughter, stopping just after the corpses left by the undead's rampage rise as undead themselves.

<I could begin the massacre if given the corpse and given an hour to work magic upon it. Otherwise it would be best to give me the guard that has already been slain and for Phobos to subtly eliminate any other problematic beings that appear.

If, however, we happen upon a dozen Illithid slaves, it would be best to slay and then reanimate the group in its entirety. I have no interest in keeping any of the simple undead, but a legion of freshly animated skeletal beasts should distract anything that would delay us, even if they are released from my control first.>

razorback
2013-08-20, 03:31 PM
"Maybe, maybe..." as he stalks down the hall.

He pauses and motions you to do the same.
"The intersection up ahead is blocked, although we can easily move around it." he whispers. "My guess is that the barricade was meant to either hold back a mass of creatures, a very large creature, or some combination of the two." The intersection is further than your sense can dectect at the moment. "I don't see any movement. Any suggestions on how to proceed? This was not blocked when I came through here last, so I have no idea what inhabits these locals now."

Trying a new mapping program, rather than PS.
Let me know what you think. I still have to work out the scale. You guys are a little over 200ft to the intersection.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc253/speedtrip/MAP08-20-13.jpg

Doxkid
2013-08-24, 05:12 PM
<Both of my companions are well suited for reconnaissance; more so than myself at any rate. As such I will leave the matter in their hands.> [Party]

Tobias does not move at all, not even bothering to levitate himself as he usually does when he has a moment to compose his thoughts.

Morcleon
2013-08-26, 11:10 AM
Kotori nods, still invisible. "Very well then. Come on, Phobos dear. Let's go."

She silently launches her up to the ceiling of the passageway, sticking close as possible.

razorback
2013-09-06, 07:31 AM
As Kotori fades from view and hovers up towards the ceiling, Gimil and Phobos stealthily move forward. Within moments, both Kotori and Phobos sense creatures moving about at the edge of the range of their enhanced senses.
Their abberant thought betray an intellect barely above an animals, as you continue to move forward slowly, you can sense that there are at least 10 of these creatures. As Gimil leads you on, you then begin to detect more creatures, a dozen, that also of an abberant nature but are slightly more intelligent than the average humanoid, along with one other creature who's nature is not of this plane of existance and who is a bit more intelligent than the others.

Morcleon
2013-09-09, 11:01 PM
Raising an eyebrow at the array of creatures, Kotori whispers over the mental link. "It seems like a leader with both intelligent minions and a number of unintelligent beasts."

"I say we try to sneak by. If we can't, we'll fight it out as best we can..."

razorback
2013-09-11, 09:26 PM
"The Urquirsh have senses beyond sight and smell. I have some small ability that keeps me from being detected by creature with similar senses but it does not extend beyond me. What about the rest of you? I fear just stealth is not enough. the dwarf says in response.