PDA

View Full Version : Nergal the lion headed death god

Zmeoaice
2013-03-01, 04:55 PM
We know that Nergal is the god of death and destruction, and he wants it.

We don't know if he requires human sacrifice to be a follower, but just that he condones it. He probably wants all death whether they be from religious sacrifice, disease, war, famine, ect. I don't think it matter how they died, as long as they died on the Western continent, although it is possible that sacrifice is the only way for him to gain power.

But what happens to the souls after they die? Some people said he devours them, but I don't see this in the comics. We know that his wife is the goddess of the underworld, so it is likely that they go there, unless they go to the afterlife of their alignment/religion. But if they do go into Ereshkagal's underworld, what do they do there? Are they servants, or would they be able to choose whether to follow the death gods?

SaintRidley
2013-03-01, 05:02 PM
Reference for Nergal eating souls that you see people mentioning. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0811.html)

Shred-Bot
2013-03-01, 05:15 PM
A little off-topic, but I really like the way that enraged Malack looks (and given what we know now, I'm surprised he didn't vamp out).

I always assumed that "NERGAL WILL EAT YOUR SOUL!" was more of a special punishment for Nale for pissing off the high priest of a death god so much.

Leliel
2013-03-01, 08:36 PM
In Mesopotamian mythology, Nergal conscripts the dead to serve as his army, where they eventually decay into nonexistence because he works them so hard.

Mesopotamian mythology is pessimistic like that.