PDA

View Full Version : Panda King (3.5 monster PEACH)

AkazilliaDeNaro
2013-03-01, 07:10 PM
Panda King

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120914233009/sly/images/d/dc/Panda_King.jpg

Panda King
Large Monstrous Humanoid
HD 34D8 +374 (527HP)
Speed 60 ft. (12 squares)
Init: +18
Armor Class: 42 (+ 10 Dex, -1 size, +8 natural +15 armor), touch 19, flat-footed 32
BAB/Grapple:+34/+48
Attack Unarmed Strike +43 (1d8+10 plus 3d6 fire) or Large +6 firework +49 ranged (2d6+6/x4 bludgeoning and fire)
Full Attack: Unarmed strike +43/+38/+33/+28 (1d8+10 plus 2d6 fire) or Twelve Large +6 fireworks +49 ranged (2d6+6/x4 bludgeoning and fire)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks Booming Chop, Fiery wheel, Fireworks, Palms of Thunder, Stunning Fist 11/day
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., DR 5/ Epic, DR 15/Bludgeoning, Fast Healing 6, Immunity to Fire, Unaffected by Difficult Terrain
Saves Fort +21 Ref +29 Will +30
Abilities Str 30(+10), Dex 30(+10), Con 30(+10), Int 34(+12), Wis 32(+11), Cha 20(+5)
Skills Appraise +49, Balance +47, Bluff +42, Climb +47, Craft(Explosives) +49, Hide +47, Intimidate +44, Jump +61, Listen +48, Move Silently +47, Search +49, Sleight Of Hand +49, Spot +48, Tumble +49
Feats: Combat Reflexes, Deflect Arrows, Improved Initiative, Improved Toughness, Improved Unarmed Strike, Infinite Deflection, Extra Stunning, Fiery Fist, Reflect Arrows, Snatch Arrows, Stunning Fist, Superior Initiative
Environment: Any land
Organization: Solitary (Unique)
Challenge Rating 23
Treasure: Standard plus Bracers of Epic Armor +15, Large +6 epic firework launcher, Bandolier of Endless Fireworks, Flaming Hand Wraps
Alignment Lawful Neutral
Advancement: By Class (Favored Class: Monk)
Level Adjustment —

Panda King is an intellegent 12' tall Humanoid Panda.

Panda King speaks Common, and Draconic

Fireworks Panda King carries a Large +6 firework launcher and several hundred fireworks on his person at all times. His firework launcher holds a maximum of 12 fireworks when loaded to capacity. It can be loaded as a move action. Strength 20 is required to pull the trigger. When the trigger is pulled (requiring a DC 30 Sleight of Hand check), the fireworks are launched at any target within 100 feet. Up to 12 targets can be hit as long as they are all within 20 feet of each other. If the Sleight of Hand check fails, the fireworks are still launched, but fly in a random direction (see chart below).

Standard Firework Launcher

Exotic Ranged Weapon
Cost
Dmg (S)
Dmg (M)
Critical
Range Increment
Weight
Type

Firework Launcher
2,000 gp
1d6
1d8
x4
80 ft.
12 lbs.
bludgeoning and fire

Flaming Hand Wraps: These magical hand wraps grant +2d6 fire damage to your unarmed strikes.

Fiery Wheel (Ex): As a standard action, Panda King spins on his head with his arms extended causing a burst of fire to expand from his body, damaging anyone within 10 feet of him. All creatures and objects within that area except for him and any creatures or objects that share his space take 15d8 points of fire damage (Reflex DC 38 halves). When Panda King uses this ability, he may not use it for another 1d4 rounds. The save is Constitution-based.

Booming Chop (Ex): As a standard attack action, Panda King performs a powerful downward strike with both hands, coating his hands in flame and dealing extra damage to anyone unfortunate enough to be caught in its path. Panda King gains a +15 circumstance bonus to his attack roll and deals an extra 15d6 +15 points of fire damage when using this ability. When Panda King uses this ability, he may not use it for another 1d4 rounds.

Palms of Thunder(Ex): As a standard action, Panda King slams his hands into the ground causing all creatures and objects except for himself in a 15-foot radius to take 20d4 points of sonic damage (Will DC 38 halves). If the floor is made of stone, wood, ice, or anything anything softer than those, the floor is pulverized to a depth of 6 inches (considered difficult terrain), resulting in an area of soft dust, wood fragments, or loose crushed ice, as appropriate. Any creature moving across this surface is reduced to half speed. When Panda King uses this ability, he may not use it for another 1d4 rounds. The save is Constitution-based.

Designer notes: Damage on firework launcher is based on standard progression in reverse; 2d6 for Large is reduced to 1d8 for Medium and is reduced 1d6 for Small. Also, Panda King's Firework Launcher is an Epic weapon and would cost 722,300 gp (includes the extra 300 gp for masterwork weapon).

Debihuman
2013-03-02, 02:05 AM
I don't like to critique epic creatures normally, but this one is relatively easy.

Hit Dice are wrong. It should be HD: 34d8 +374 (527 hp)

34d8= 34x4.5= 153 hp; Con bonus = 340 hp; Improved Toughness = 34 hp.

340 +34=374 bonus hp.

153+340+34=527 total hp.

EDITED CORRECTIONS FOLLOW HERE

Since unarmed strikes are not natural weapons, you do get iterative attacks with them. Large unarmed strikes do 1d4 points of damage. However, the improved natural weapon feat does not apply to unarmed strikes. The attack needs to include the -1 size penalty to attack.

Attack: Unarmed Strike + 43 melee (1d4+10 plus 3d6 fire)

Full Attack: Unarmed Strike + 43/+38/+33/+28 melee (1d8+10 plus 3d6 fire)

Note: Unarmed strikes critical on 20 normally and cause double damage so that doesn't go in stat block. You forgot the fire damage from its feat in the stat block. It gets 1d6 from its feat and 2d6 from its item.

It is missing a feat. Improved Natural Attack doesn't work on Unarmed Strike attacks since they are not considered natural attacks but their own separate attacks treated like light weapons.

Here is the alphabetized Feat line.
Feats: Combat Reflexes, Deflect Arrows, Improved Initiative, Improved Toughness, Improved Unarmed Strike, Infinite Deflection, Extra Stunning, Fiery Fist, Reflect Arrows, Snatch Arrows, Stunning Fist, Superior Initiative

You should stat out the firework launcher as a weapon unless it is in a book and then you should cite to it. Note: loading a firework launcher should not be a free action. It should be a move action (see actions in combat). If the rocket launcher explodes at your feet, there should be a save to take half damage since you aren't taking a direct hit. If it explodes in the air, presumably you don't take any damage but you failed to say one way or the other.

Firework launcher would look like any other weapon. Look at your DMG to see how it should look. Sample:

Firework Launcher
{table=head]Exotic Ranged Weapon| Cost| Dmg (S)|Dmg (M)| Critical | Range Increment | Weight1|Type 2
Firework Launcher|X gp|xdx |xdx | X| X |X|X
[/table]

You can copy and paste the table and fill in the Xs.

Special Attacks and Special Qualities should be listed alphabetically.

Are your special attacks Ex, Su or Sp? DC is 10 + 1/2 creature's HD plus ability score modifier. Which ability are these DCs based on? You have to mention it in text.

Debby

AkazilliaDeNaro
2013-03-02, 05:16 PM
I don't like to critique epic creatures normally, but this one is relatively easy.

Hit Dice are wrong. It should be HD: 34d8 +374 (527 hp)

34d8= 34x4.5= 153 hp; Con bonus = 340 hp; Improved Toughness = 34 hp.

340 +34=374 bonus hp.

153+340+34=527 total hp.

fixed

Since unarmed strikes are natural weapons, you do not get iterative attacks with them. Large unarmed strikes do 1d8 points of damage. However, it is Large and should be able to use both of its hands for 2 unarmed strikes.

Attack: Unarmed Strike + 44 melee (1d8+10 plus 1d6 fire plus 1d6 bludgeoning)

Full Attack: 2 Unarmed Strikes + 44 melee (1d8+10 plus 1d6 fire plus 1d6 bludgeoning)

Note: Natural attack always crit on 20 and do double damage so that doesn't go in stat block. You did not explain where the fire and bludgeoning damage come from.

fixed

It is missing a feat. You gave it Improved Natural Attack but didn't actually improve its attack. I recommend removing that feat since it is not helpful and substituting a better feat. So find 2 feats for it.

You should stat out the firework launcher as a weapon unless it is in a book and then you should cite to it. Note: loading a firework launcher should not be a free action. It should be a move action (see actions in combat). If the rocket launcher explodes at your feet, there should be a save to take half damage since you aren't taking a direct hit. If it explodes in the air, presumably you don't take any damage but you failed to say one way or the other.

well im not really sure how to make it a weapon

Special Attacks and Special Qualities should be listed alphabetically.

Are your special attacks Ex, Su or Sp? DC is 10 + 1/2 creature's HD plus ability score modifier. Which ability are these DCs based on? You have to mention it in text.

Debby

Douglas
2013-03-02, 07:51 PM
Since unarmed strikes are natural weapons, you do not get iterative attacks with them.
As demonstrated by many Monks and lots of examples, this is incorrect.

Large unarmed strikes do 1d8 points of damage. However, it is Large and should be able to use both of its hands for 2 unarmed strikes.
It could, but this would count as two-weapon fighting and take appropriate penalties.

Debihuman
2013-03-03, 03:53 PM
I stand corrected: An unarmed strike is a single attack though you can iterative attacks with it since it is treated as a light weapon. You also forgot the -1 size penalty to attack. However unarmed strikes are not natural weapons and so you cannot use improved natural attack on them.

Here is the correct attack lines with the aforementioned corrections

Attack:Unarmed Strike + 43 melee (1d4+10 plus 3d6 fire) or +6 fireworks +49 ranged (2d6+6/x4 bludgeoning and fire)

Full Attack: Unarmed Strike + 43/+38/+33/+28 melee (1d4+10 plus 3d6 fire) or twelve +6 fireworks +49 ranged (2d6+6/x4 bludgeoning and fire)

Further Amended since you state it is an epic +6 weapon.

Fiery fist feat adds 1d6 fire damage and its flaming hand wraps adds another 2d6 fire damage.

The normal unarmed attack for a large creature is 1d4. It does not qualify for improved natural attack feat since it doesn't have any natural weapons, only an unarmed attack, which is not considered a natural weapon. See list of natural weapons. For combat purposes, an unarmed strike is treated as a light weapon which is why it does get iterative attacks. My previous entry was incorrect.

See edits on my earlier post for corrections.

Feats are now alphabetized in my earlier post.

See also weapon table for the firework launcher. You still need to fill out the details.

Here is how I would have made the stat block with corrections.

Panda King
Large Monstrous Humanoid
Hit Dice:34d8 +374 (527 hp)
Speed 60 ft. (12 squares)
Initiative:+18
Armor Class: 42 (+ 10 Dex, -1 size, +8 natural +15 armor), touch 19, flat-footed 32
BAB/Grapple:+34/+48
Attack Unarmed Strike +43 (1d8+10 plus 3d6 fire) or Large [I]+6 firework +49 ranged (2d6+6/x4 bludgeoning and fire)
Full Attack: Unarmed strike +43/+38/+33/+28 (1d8+10 plus 2d6 fire) or Twelve Large +6 fireworks +49 ranged (2d6+6/x4 bludgeoning and fire)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks Booming chop, fiery wheel, fireworks, palms of thunder, stunning fist 11/day
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., DR 5/ Epic, DR 15/Bludgeoning, Fast Healing 6, Immunity to Fire, Unaffected by Difficult Terrain
Saves: Fort +21 Ref +29 Will +30
Abilities: Str 30(+10), Dex 30(+10), Con 30(+10), Int 34(+12), Wis 32(+11), Cha 20(+5)
Skills: Appraise +49, Balance +47, Bluff +42, Climb +47, Craft (Explosives) +49, Hide +47, Intimidate +44, Jump +61, Listen +48, Move Silently +47, Search +49, Sleight Of Hand +49, Spot +48, Tumble +49
Feats Combat Reflexes, Deflect Arrows, Improved Initiative, Improved Toughness, Improved Unarmed Strike, Infinite Deflection, Extra Stunning, Fiery Fist, Reflect Arrows, Snatch Arrows, Stunning Fist, Superior Initiative
Environment: Any land
Organization: Solitary (Unique)
Challenge Rating: 23
Treasure: Standard plus Bracers of Epic Armor +15, Large +6 epic firework launcher, Bandolier of Endless Fireworks, Flaming Hand Wraps
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Advancement: By Class (Favored Class: Monk)
Level Adjustment —

Panda King needs a description including what languages he speaks.

Combat

Fireworks Panda King carries a Large +5 firework launcher and several hundred fireworks on his person at all times. His firework launcher holds a maximum of 12 fireworks when loaded to capacity. It can be loaded as a move action. Strength 20 is required to pull the trigger. When the trigger is pulled (requiring a DC 30 Sleight of Hand check), the fireworks are launched at any target within 120 feet. Up to 12 targets can be hit as long as they are all within 20 feet of each other. If the Sleight of Hand check fails, the fireworks are still launched, but fly in a random direction (see chart below).

d10| Result
1| Explodes at your feet damaging you (Reflex save for half damage)
2-9| Launches in a random direction starting in front of you and circling clockwise and explodes after 1d6x5 feet damaging anyone with in 5 feet for 1d6 +2 points of fire damage
0| Fires up into the air 1d6x10 feet and explodes causing no damage.

{table]9|2|3
8|1|4
7|6|5
[/table]

Standard Firework Launcher
{table=head]Exotic Ranged Weapon| Cost| Dmg (S)|Dmg (M)| Critical | Range Increment | Weight1|Type 2
Firework Launcher|2,000 gp|1d6 |1d8 |x4|60 ft.|12 lbs.|bludgeoning and fire
[/table]

Flaming Hand Wraps: These magical hand wraps grant +2d6 fire damage to your unarmed strikes.

Fiery Wheel (Ex): As a standard action, Panda King spins on his head with his arms extended causing a burst of fire to expand from his body, damaging anyone within 10 feet of him. All creatures and objects within that area except for him and any creatures or objects that share his space take 15d8 points of fire damage (Reflex DC 38 halves). When Panda King uses this ability, he may not use it for another 1d4 rounds. The save is Constitution-based.

Booming Chop (Ex): As a standard attack action, Panda King performs a powerful downward strike with both hands, coating his hands in flame and dealing extra damage to anyone unfortunate enough to be caught in its path. Panda King gains a +15 circumstance bonus to his attack roll and deals an extra 15d6 +15 points of fire damage when using this ability. When Panda King uses this ability, he may not use it for another 1d4 rounds.

Palms of Thunder(Ex): As a standard action, Panda King slams his hands into the ground causing all creatures and objects except for himself in a 15-foot radius to take 20d4 points of sonic damage (Will DC 38 halves). If the floor is made of stone, wood, ice, or anything anything softer than those, the floor is pulverized to a depth of 6 inches (considered difficult terrain), resulting in an area of soft dust, wood fragments, or loose crushed ice, as appropriate. Any creature moving across this surface is reduced to half speed. When Panda King uses this ability, he may not use it for another 1d4 rounds. The save is Constitution-based.

Designer notes: Damage on firework launcher is based on standard progression in reverse; 2d6 for Large is reduced to 1d8 for Medium and is reduced 1d6 for Small. Also, Panda King's Firework Launcher is an Epic weapon and would cost 722,300 gp (includes the extra 300 gp for masterwork weapon).

Debby

Douglas
2013-03-03, 04:52 PM
Unarmed Strike actually is a natural weapon, it just has a bunch of special case rules that treat it as not one for certain purposes. Iterative attacks is one of the (many) exceptions.

Debihuman
2013-03-03, 07:11 PM
Please cite to a rule that says an unarmed strike is a natural weapon. I cannot find one.

In the list of natural weapons in Special Abilities, unarmed strike is not on the list. By the RAW, it is not a "natural weapon". You find it with the weapons:

Unarmed Strike
A Medium character deals 1d3 points of nonlethal damage with an unarmed strike. A Small character deals 1d2 points of nonlethal damage. A monk or any character with the Improved Unarmed Strike feat can deal lethal or nonlethal damage with unarmed strikes, at her option. The damage from an unarmed strike is considered weapon damage for the purposes of effects that give you a bonus on weapon damage rolls.

An unarmed strike is always considered a light weapon. Therefore, you can use the Weapon Finesse feat to apply your Dexterity modifier instead of your Strength modifier to attack rolls with an unarmed strike.

For clarification, I went to the source, WotC, see here:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20070327a

Unarmed Attack/Unarmed Strike: These two terms are used interchangeably to describe an attack with an appendage that is not a natural weapon, such as a human's fist. An unarmed attack usually deals nonlethal damage and provokes an attack of opportunity from the creature being attacked.
[emphasis mine]

It's an appendage but not a natural weapon, putting it in that weird status. So feats that affect natural weapons do not affect unarmed strike unless they explicitly say that they do. Now if you want to, go and interpret the rules as you wish, but I don't think it is necessary. And I had missed most of these rules in my first posting so mea culpa on me for that.

Where it gets sticky is here. "For purposes of weapon enhancements, an unarmed strike is considered a natural weapon." That doesn't make it a natural weapon. However, it does means you have to treat it as such for that purpose.

For the record, I wholeheartedly hate creatures that have unarmed strikes instead of natural weapons.

Debby

For AkazilliaDeNaro:

P.S. Note that the standard advancement for damage should be 1d6 for Small, 1d8 for Medium and 2d6 for Large (see Increasing Damage by Size). You stated in the text that the damage was 2d6 so that's how I based it.

Weapon enhancements are limited to +5. If you want this to be an epic weapon, the cost is +720,000 gp for an epic +6 firework launcher with an additional +300 for masterwork quality that all magical weapons have to have.

P.P.S. I streamlined how the Panda King's firework launcher works and added that it needs a Str 20 to pull the trigger. It makes it a more personal weapon and limits who can use it, which I think was your intention. I hope you don't mind.

Amechra
2013-03-03, 08:10 PM
douglas, look at the Monk class.

Specifically, this little nugget:

A monk’s unarmed strike is treated both as a manufactured weapon and a natural weapon for the purpose of spells and effects that enhance or improve either manufactured weapons or natural weapons.

Since this is a departure from the normal rules for unarmed strikes, it means that they are natural weapons only in specific cases.

AkazilliaDeNaro
2013-03-03, 10:41 PM
For AkazilliaDeNaro:

P.S. Note that the standard advancement for damage should be 1d6 for Small, 1d8 for Medium and 2d6 for Large (see Increasing Damage by Size). You stated in the text that the damage was 2d6 so that's how I based it.

Weapon enhancements are limited to +5. If you want this to be an epic weapon, the cost is +720,000 gp for an epic +6 firework launcher with an additional +300 for masterwork quality that all magical weapons have to have.

P.P.S. I streamlined how the Panda King's firework launcher works and added that it needs a Str 20 to pull the trigger. It makes it a more personal weapon and limits who can use it, which I think was your intention. I hope you don't mind.
Noted, and no i don't mind thanks tho.