PDA

View Full Version : Smiting Spell Feat and Multiple-Touch Spells like Chill Touch

IserLuick
2013-03-01, 07:36 PM
Hi everyone!

Well, I've been building a gish character and I found this interesting feat called Smiting Spell (Player's Handbook II) that can let you prepare a touch spell to be transfered to a weapon that you hold and smash it on the enemy with a successful attack with that weapon.

And I've seen that there are spells like Chill Touch and Corrosive Grasp that give you touch attacks per CL, so a level 17 wizard can make 17 touch attacks with Corrosive Gasp using the rule of Holding The Charge (Player's Handbook, p. 176)

I saw in the Rules Compendium Book, page 126, that "If you touch anything while holding a charge, even unintentionally, the spell discharges. Intentionally touching anything, even a figment that isn’t really present, discharges the spell as well. You continue holding the charge if something touches you."

What I understand of these rules, if you consider the Smiting Spell Feat, is that I could cast a Smiting Corrosive Grasp in my melee weapon and, in my next turn, make a full attack and with each attack I would discharge the spell every time, and I could keep doing that until I run out of touches per CL, as long as I don't cast anything else.

I just want to make sure that this is possible, can you really do this?

Thanks for your attention!

Have a nice day!

The Viscount
2013-03-04, 02:22 AM
Likely a result of them not considering such spells, as there are so few of them. Honestly, I'd let you do it. Neither spell is game-breaking in its power, so it should be fine. I'd balance it by saying you can't cast anything else while the charge is in your weapon, though some munchkins might want to see it the other way. Ask your DM just to be sure, but I think you're fine. Nice use of the feat.

RagnaroksChosen
2013-03-04, 10:39 AM
Likely a result of them not considering such spells, as there are so few of them. Honestly, I'd let you do it. Neither spell is game-breaking in its power, so it should be fine. I'd balance it by saying you can't cast anything else while the charge is in your weapon, though some munchkins might want to see it the other way. Ask your DM just to be sure, but I think you're fine. Nice use of the feat.

Holding the Charge

If you don’t discharge the spell in the round when you cast the spell, you can hold the discharge of the spell (hold the charge) indefinitely. You can continue to make touch attacks round after round. You can touch one friend as a standard action or up to six friends as a full-round action. If you touch anything or anyone while holding a charge, even unintentionally, the spell discharges. If you cast another spell, the touch spell dissipates. Alternatively, you may make a normal unarmed attack (or an attack with a natural weapon) while holding a charge. In this case, you aren’t considered armed and you provoke attacks of opportunity as normal for the attack. (If your unarmed attack or natural weapon attack doesn’t provoke attacks of opportunity, neither does this attack.) If the attack hits, you deal normal damage for your unarmed attack or natural weapon and the spell discharges. If the attack misses, you are still holding the charge.

If munchkins try to do that.. they are taking advantage of a GM not knowing the rules right which is not cool.

However to the OP.

I don't see why this wouldn't work. You should be able to use Smite spell to make your full attack and discharge the spell with each attack.
I don't believe it would give you any Extra attacks. You would just be able to make your full attack and then the spell would be discharged.

At least this is how I would rule it.

Fouredged Sword
2013-03-05, 06:09 AM
Read the range and target of the spell carefully. If the target is yourself or such the spell would grant the ability to MAKE the attacks to the target of your melee attack. Otherwise it may work, spell text is inconsistent.