PDA

View Full Version : [PF][Resolved] Help me build Captain Fire Punch

darklink_shadow
2013-03-01, 10:26 PM
So I have a character concept that is totally unique and not based off of both a villain turned hero from a show about manipulating the elements, nor is it based off a racecar driver with a fiery death punch. Nopenope. Unique.

The idea is to make an unarmed fighter who punches with fire. I know I could just simply be a monk of the four winds, but I can only use my fire punch a number of rounds equal to my monk levels. Which is lame. Also, it's a little on the weak end, and I've got a pouncing barbarian who plans on being immune to fatigue to rage cycle, a wizard who is a wizard, a cleric who is strong with he power of dark side and a guy who is just dipping around to be a skill monkey monster.

I'd really like to be fairly competitive, although I accept that I might have to be the weak man in the group. So I was wondering about the possibility of adding two levels of Pyrokineticist for 2d6 extra flaming fist damage per hit.

I really do not know how to optimize well so I'm asking for some help.

I have a 15 point buy, but I can use the custom race options. I can only use pazio material, so no 3rd party stuff. Well, so I don't know what else to say!

I want to punch with fire. All the time. If I punch with other elemental damage, that's ok too. If I have a punch that deals rainbow types of damage.

EDIT: I start at level 5, and I want to be able to fire punch every round.

Larkas
2013-03-01, 10:33 PM
Hmmmm... Flaming (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/magicItems/weapons.html#_weapons-flaming) Brass Knuckles (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/advanced/advancedGear.html#_brass-knuckles)?

Alienist
2013-03-01, 10:57 PM
Elemental Fist is a freebie for a level 1 Monk of the four winds.
Produce flame is a level 1 Druid spell. It lets you make fire damage touch attacks.

NB in 3.5 (not sure about pf) whenever you make a touch attack you can make it a lethal punch instead, it uses the higher ac, but adds your punch damage to the attack if you hit)
(You could also cast the spell that gives you the touch attack, and then move, and then make the attack all in the same round)

Fire domain lets you shoot flames from your hands a number of times a day.
Fire domain also gets prduce flames (as a second level spell) and burning hands as a first level spell.

Touch of combustion is a first level Druid/Inquisitor/Magus/Sorc/Wiz/Witch spell.

Elemental touch and Flaming sphere are also worth considering. Flaming sphere is kind of like a low level haddoken.

avr
2013-03-01, 11:03 PM
Play a summoner with the synthesist archetype, take the slam evolution to punch (you could use the free claws if you don't want to pay for slam), at 5th level take the energy attacks evolution to add fire to the punch. Works as many times/day as you like from that point.

Play a druid. From 6th level on you can wild shape into an elemental for 1 hour/level.

Play a sorcerer with the efreeti bloodline. At 9th you get to change into an efreeti & get the heat ability (+1d6 fire damage on unarmed attacks). Also, at any point you can learn spells like elemental touch.

Dissonance
2013-03-01, 11:22 PM
The easiest way to get it is to sweet talk your dm into letting you make a race with the racial trait elemental weapons. It lets you add a d6 of elemental damage to ALL weapons. natural, unarmed or otherwise. Problem is it is a monsterous trait, so getting it okayed might be a bit of a stretch.

alternatively there is such a thing as an amulet of mighty fists. Which basically gives your unarmed strikes magic weapon properties and everything that entails. The +1 version only costs 4k gold, and the +1 can be swapped out for the flaming property.

Note there is no limit to the flaming addition to your unarmed strikes.

beyond that everything else has already been posted.

darklink_shadow
2013-03-01, 11:22 PM
Oh, drats, I always forget something. We are starting at level 6. I should add that.

Larkas,
I don't really want my concept of fire punching to just be I have a magic pair of brass knuckles for punching.

Alienist
Elemental fist is only usable a number of times = my monk level, which is not constantly. Spells are also not constany sources of fire punching.

Avr,
The summoner Idea might work! I'll have to take a good hard look at it.

I don't want to shapeshift into a fire elemental, I want to be a humanoid with fire punches.

As for the sorcerer, I want to start being a fire puncher right away, so that won't work.

I'll look at the Synthesist right now though.

EDIT: Looks like getting a high STR and CON with the Synthesist is kind hard, but sort of doable, do you think this method is really viable?

EDIT2:
Dissonance,
He already said no to that monstrous trait. :(
The amulet is a maybe, but the thing is, I really don't want the core of my character concept to be from an item that I could lose, have be destroyed or stolen etc.

grarrrg
2013-03-01, 11:31 PM
The idea is to make an unarmed fighter who punches with fire. I know I could just simply be a monk of the four winds, but I can only use my fire punch a number of rounds equal to my monk levels

If you do go with the Monk-ish option, take Suli (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/uncommon-races/arg-suli) as a race, they get a Fire attack thing too.
There are a couple (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/arg-feats/extra-elemental-assault-suli) feats (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/arg-feats/incremental-elemental-assault-suli) to take to improve this as well.

darklink_shadow
2013-03-01, 11:39 PM
Hmm...

Grarrrg,
That would require at least a feat for the time split up, and even then, I'm rocking 1 round per level, +2 per fest I throw away for this. Not very well optimized for the level of party I will be in.

While the race on it's own might be a good addition to the final product, and possibly the combination of Monk of the Four Winds + Suli might give me a pretty decent amount of rounds with fire punches, this only work if I only end up fighting 10 or so round per day at the level I am starting at, and we usually have 4-6 combats a day (I am actually making a new character to replace my old one that died, so I know a bit about party's comp's a play level and the stuff we do each day pretty well.)

GreenZ
2013-03-02, 12:31 AM
Monk of the Four Winds (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/monk/archetypes/paizo---monk-archetypes/monk-of-the-four-winds) + Ki Mystic (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/monk/archetypes/paizo---monk-archetypes/ki-mystic) + Sensei (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/monk/archetypes/paizo---monk-archetypes/sensei) + Qinggong Monk (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/monk/archetypes/paizo---monk-archetypes/qinggong-monk).

Max out Wisdom as it now influences your Ki, AC, and Attack rolls and use Qinggong Monk to trade your Slow Fall for Scorching Ray.

You now can fire punch a number of times equal to your level, you now have a Ki Pool of 1/2 monk level + Wisdom modifier + 2 with which you can use 2 Ki to cast Scorching Ray (As well as pick up a few other neat tricks), pick up Efreeti Style (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/efreeti-style-combat-style) and Efreeti Stance (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/efreeti-stance-combat) for more fire punch, and at 12th level you can use Mystic Wisdom and 2 Ki to allow every ally within 30 feet to cast Scorching Ray on their turn.

Use the Perform: Oratory ability of the Sensei, 'Advice', as burning one liners and add in a Flaming Amulet of Mighty Fists and you should be the hottest fighter on the battlefield. :smallcool:

darklink_shadow
2013-03-02, 02:23 AM
After looking at it for a while, it looks like, especially early on, the Synthesis Summoner can out fire punch the Monk of the Four Winds.

Starting at level 5, Picking up 2 slams, and +1d6 fire damage on each hit cost me 4 of my 8 evo points. Improved damage on my slams make me hit for 2d8(bludgeoning)+1d6(fire), so now I have 3 evo points. So I pick up reach(slam) and +2STR.

I make the monk jealous. And if I ever feel like it, since I picked the Xeth Race, I can take a two level dip into pyrokineticist for an extra 2d6 fire damage and some nifty stuff.

-_-

avr
2013-03-02, 04:18 AM
It's better than that (slightly). A 6th level summoner gets 9 evolution points on his/her eidolon, not 8. If you were to pick half-elf or goblin as the race rather than xeph you could get 10 via the favored class bonus which would be enough for another +2 to a physical ability. I wouldn't recommend dipping pyrokineticist, like many PF classes the summoner heavily rewards single-classing.

Also, unlike a monk you could use Haste for pre-combat buffing, Lesser Evolution Surge if you ever wanted to fly or something, and heal yourself with Lesser Rejuvenate Eidolon & Lesser Restore Eidolon.

& no, I don't particularly have a life this weekend.:smallfrown:

darklink_shadow
2013-03-02, 07:20 AM
It's better than that (slightly). A 6th level summoner gets 9 evolution points on his/her eidolon, not 8. If you were to pick half-elf or goblin as the race rather than xeph you could get 10 via the favored class bonus which would be enough for another +2 to a physical ability. I wouldn't recommend dipping pyrokineticist, like many PF classes the summoner heavily rewards single-classing.

Also, unlike a monk you could use Haste for pre-combat buffing, Lesser Evolution Surge if you ever wanted to fly or something, and heal yourself with Lesser Rejuvenate Eidolon & Lesser Restore Eidolon.

& no, I don't particularly have a life this weekend.:smallfrown:

I could be a half-elf if I don't want to multiclass (which is a little ironic, since half-elves are the best multiclassers!) but I also start at level 5, not 6. Although, I get 1/4th evo point per level, so I would get the the 9th point, and could drop reach for +2 con, if I wanted. But I would probably not do that. The little extra health isn't worth the reach loss....

This is just great. A caster is a better fire puncher than the monk. Is there anything casters are NOT better at? Maybe grappling... Oh, and on top of my better punching? Spells. And should I run out of health for my etheral buddy, no worries, I can just summon monsters all willy nilly, and support with some spells. No problem.

But I gotta say, having my badassery come from a planar ally is kind neat. I don't flame punch, the spirit who possesses me flame punches. And I could fly if I wanted to.

But one question: can I keep my damage level appropriate all the way to 20? Would I just stack arms, or what?

Squirrel_Dude
2013-03-02, 07:23 AM
Quiggong Monk/cleric and pick up the Ki Power/Spell Blood Crow Strike for ranged fire fists.

darklink_shadow
2013-03-02, 07:26 AM
Quiggong Monk/cleric and pick up the Ki Power/Spell Blood Crow Strike for ranged fire fists.

I've more or less settled with definitely being a synthesis summoner, but I will look at your idea to see if I like it better, just in case.

Squirrel_Dude
2013-03-02, 07:44 AM
I've more or less settled with definitely being a synthesis summoner, but I will look at your idea to see if I like it better, just in case.Nah, go synthesis summoner. They're awesome.