PDA

View Full Version : Two Questions

OREO
2013-03-01, 10:41 PM
Spell-Like Abilities (Sp): Spell-like abilities, as the name implies, are spells and magical abilities that are very much like spells. Spell-like abilities are subject to spell resistance and dispel magic. They do not function in areas where magic is suppressed or negated (such as an antimagic field).

Question: With Spell-Like abilities, do the standard armor type AC/Spell Failure penalties still apply? For instance, if your character concept was an LA adjusted creature with SL abilities, but your character class was a non-caster class that allowed armor, would that character's SL abilities be subject to the normal penalty for wearing armor?

Special Arrows (Ex): Pixies sometimes employ arrows that deal no damage but can erase memory or put a creature to sleep.
Memory Loss: An opponent struck by this arrow must succeed on a DC 15 Will save or lose all memory. The save DC is Charisma-based and includes a +2 racial bonus. The subject retains skills, languages, and class abilities but forgets everything else until he or she receives a heal spell or memory restoration with limited wish, wish, or miracle.
Sleep: Any opponent struck by this arrow, regardless of Hit Dice, must succeed on a DC 15 Fortitude save or be affected as though by a sleep spell. The save DC is Charisma-based and includes a +2 racial bonus.

Question: Hopefully I can ask this in a way that makes sense... I'm just curious how you more experienced DM's would handle this EX-Special Ability. I ask because I'm not sure how to equip the character concept with these arrows? Where do they come from? Purchase standard arrows - convert on her own using Ex ability? My thought is, since it's an EX ability, this might be treated as a proprietary skill so not something that would normally be contracted out or actually purchased. Maybe... purchase standard MW arrows, and just convert as an at will process (assuming some ritual and time required of course)?

I can see how these could easily be treated on terms of a simple enchanted arrow (expense wise), but doesn't that ignore the Ex side of the equation? These "arrows" deal no damage, so they're obviously not tipped with arrowheads. Treating it like a simple enchanted arrow purchase w/special quality is no different than any ranger or bow user stopping off to pick up some "sleep" arrows at the local shop... Isn't it? These (I assume) are clearly not that...

So, how would you handle the supply/resupply process for this Ex ability?

Phelix-Mu
2013-03-01, 10:48 PM
Spell-like abilities are neither arcane or divine, as far as I know, and have no components to speak of (invocations are exceptions to this general rule). Thus, no arcane spell failure.

As for the pixie arrows, the ability seems to imply that the strength of the arrows is determined by the Charisma of the pixie user. I would thus rule that the arrows function only for pixies. Theoretically, someone could UMD to emulate being a pixie.

Do the pixies have to craft them? I'd say, yes. It sounds like they are actually a different type of arrow, not a specific effect that can be applied to any arrow.

As I am increasingly realizing, WotC copied some stuff straight out of 2e without much thought as to how it would work. The arrows essentially worked just as described back then, too, though the saving throw system back then was weird.

Also, I think in PHB there is a spell distinction in summon nature's ally between being able to summon a pixie and summoning a pixie that has the special arrows. This implies that a pixie can't just turn any arrows into the special arrows at will.

Still, poorly described ability all around.

Psyren
2013-03-01, 10:50 PM
1) SLAs are not subject to armor penalties.

2) In all honesty I would ignore the memory loss thing unless you have a plothook from it, it's going to be too annoying/troublesome otherwise. Especially since the party is likely to run into these things looooooong before they have the necessary means to remove it themselves.

Sleep arrows are fine though.

Phelix-Mu
2013-03-01, 10:54 PM
In the specific case that someone wants to make a pixie character and wants the arrows, the answer probably should be that the arrows carry value, and should be part of the character's wealth. Otherwise a potentially practically endless supply of these arrows could play havoc with the game, and I didn't see any way aside from value to gauge exactly how many to give a player.

As for how much they are worth, I think there was a 3.0 item that was essentially one of these kind of pixie arrows available to non-pixies. Maybe look through the specific weapon tables in the back of Magic Item Compendium to see if there was a 3.5 update. If it was 3.0, maybe check Arms and Equipment Guide.

OREO
2013-03-01, 11:14 PM
I just found a reference to a special ointment that the pixies coat their "arrows" with, and it's that ointment (like a poison) that causes the specified results. This was in the AD&D MM circa 1978 (new there was a reason I kept that book).

I agree, the Memory Loss would be a pain in the ass for a PC or Monster encounter... but I believe the intent of that particular "weapon" was so the Pixie's could confront an intruder that may have stumbled upon their home or important site. Perhaps a nice tool to make them forget how to get back to that location. That's the way I look at it anyway.

Anyway, I like the idea of treating this as a special ointment issue rather than a special weapon/arrow issue. Treat it like a poison tipped weapon.

Thoughts?

Psyren
2013-03-01, 11:40 PM
Thoughts?

I tend to do this a lot, but regardless, I suggest you use the Pathfinder version (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/fey/pixie) instead. Everything about them is much more clearly defined, and the arrows are much less likely to FUBAR your PCs while still having their mythological flavor.

OREO
2013-03-02, 12:47 AM
I tend to do this a lot, but regardless, I suggest you use the Pathfinder version (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/fey/pixie) instead. Everything about them is much more clearly defined, and the arrows are much less likely to FUBAR your PCs while still having their mythological flavor.

Got that right... nicely done! Thanks :smallcool: