PDA

View Full Version : Summons and Teleportation

Story
2013-03-02, 01:56 AM
Apparently, summoned creatures cannot use any teleportation ability. But can they be teleported by someone else? What if they walk into a portal? It seems to me like they're only prevented from using their own teleportation abilities if any, but I just wanted to make sure.

Flickerdart
2013-03-02, 02:19 AM
Apparently, summoned creatures cannot use any teleportation ability. But can they be teleported by someone else? What if they walk into a portal? It seems to me like they're only prevented from using their own teleportation abilities if any, but I just wanted to make sure.
Summoned creatures can teleport all they want. All that they are restricted from doing is using innate summoning abilities (though spells are still fine), casting spells that cost XP, or using SLAs that would cost XP in their spell form.

Story
2013-03-02, 08:56 AM
That's not what the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/summonMonsterI.htm) says.

A summoned monster cannot summon or otherwise conjure another creature, nor can it use any teleportation or planar travel abilities.

Miranius
2013-03-02, 09:03 AM
Flickerdart is right on that one.

The special abilities of summonings is half their fun. Expecially if they can teleport or, even better yet, prevent it by dimensional anchor or the like...

So unless specifically stated in the monster-entry, they can do ANYTHING just if they were called.

BTW, the SRD was written when 99% of the splat-books didn`t exist yet and with them a good part of available monsters and their abilities.

So if you go core-only you can keep with that ruling, otherwise i would throw it out.

Deophaun
2013-03-02, 09:51 AM
Seconding that Flickerdart and Miranius are wrong as per the SRD.

If the DM wants to be a stickler about it, he could interpret "use any teleportation or planar travel abilities" to include such things as activating wands of benign transposition or stepping through a portal, as these are instances where the creature is actively using the abilities of something else to perform those tricks. It strikes me as unnecessarily harsh to choose that interpretation, but it's valid.

Otherwise, someone or something else is still allowed to cast such spells upon the summoned creature. In those instances, it is the caster, not the summoned creature, using those abilities, so it's clear by RAW.

TuggyNE
2013-03-02, 05:40 PM
BTW, the SRD was written when 99% of the splat-books didn`t exist yet and with them a good part of available monsters and their abilities.

You mean like Core fiends with at-will greater teleport? How about Core archons? Core unicorns?

Maybe Core dryads, or Core blink dogs, or Core formian myrmarchs, or Core maruts, or Core lammasu, or Core phase spiders, or Core nymphs, or Core titans?

The first list is those that can be summoned; the second is those that can't necessarily be summoned, but have Conjuration (teleportation) SLAs.

Flickerdart
2013-03-02, 06:50 PM
That's not what the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/summonMonsterI.htm) says.
That's only true of monsters summoned with the Summon Monster spells. The general (Summoning) subschool doesn't have the restriction. An obvious example that proves you wrong is the Abyssal Army spell from the Planar Handbook - it is a (Summoning) spell that summons, explicitly, babaus and vrocks, both of which can teleport, but doesn't restrict the teleportation in any way. Other counter-examples include the Dragon Ally line, and the spell Heavenly Host.