PDA

View Full Version : Serpent Hill Saga - IC

Pages : [1] 2

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-02, 03:17 AM
Serpent Hill Saga

Serpent Hill was an island in a sea of white. Every day a few locals would climb the slick stone walls of the church to stare out from atop its pointed roof, and every day they returned with the same news. The fog stretches forever. There is no end in sight.

Sounds carried strangely through the mist-laden air. Sometimes, a man could hear a conversation from the other side of the island as if it were happening alongside him. Other times, he’d hear no sound at all until the speakers were almost on top of him, spectral shapes solidifying out the fog only to disappear again a moment later. Every day at dawn, the air carried the mournful song of the same drunk fisherman, weaving his way home from the bars; every dusk carried the sound of sobbing, though the source was never clear.

The mist carried scents as well, the smells of Serpent Hill, the smells of liquor and fish. And, every time the lizardfolk made another raid on the dock, after the screams and clangs of battle had faded, the mist carried the sharp metallic scent of blood.

The one thing the mist didn’t carry was light. At its worst, down by the water, it would blur the fingers of an outstretched arm. Within a few feet, people appeared as ghostly shadows, their vague faces appearing heavy and sad. By a dozen yards, they couldn’t be seen at all.

Mistrust came easily in such claustrophobic enivrons, and every day the outsiders found more inns closed against them, more taverns where they were turned away at the door. Such ostracization found the small ones first, the lizard and his friend, then the heavyset orc who never smiled and spoke only in his cups. The red-headed elf was next; by the time the third week came along, even the human woman had a hard time finding inns that would take her coin.

With the outsiders so effectively isolated, it was a simple matter for plans to be made in secret. Malcontents spread the idea from bar to bar, always finding a few angry and sympathetic ears. Discovering which building the lizard and his friend were staying in was easy; assembling outside his door in the dead of night with weapons, torches and rope was easier.

Bursting in and killing them both in their sleep would have been easy, too, if not for the sudden barking of the halfling’s dog, deep and angry and loud enough to wake the entire hill.

PersonMan
2013-03-02, 04:59 AM
Airessendria paid attention to her appearance. Not out of some desire to look appealing to others (and woe unto anyone who would suggest this), but because she, as a priestess of Aur, an Aurelian and as herself, was too proud to go around without first making sure her appearance suited her. So, when she was woken up in the middle of the night by a nearby dog's sudden barking, her first instinct wasn't to march of her impromptu shelter to shake her fist at it. No, that was what these people would do - if she went out there in the middle of the night, it would be with composure. So, Airessendria cast a spell and, with her power flowing through the air as it did her veins, smoothed out her clothes, put on her outer cloak and braided her hair.

Finally, with an appearance worthy of a priestess of her caliber, Airessendria stepped out into the night, running a hand over the broken chain link on the leather strip around her neck for a brief moment. Discarding the idea of calling upon divine light, she continued towards the source of the noise, hidden by the thick fog despite the otherwise conspicuous nature of her crimson attire. A place like this, full of criminals and other such scum, was quite potentially turning on itself now. She wasn't sure whose dog was barking, but investigating it was her duty as an Aurelian. Even if she would really just prefer to leave this damn backwater to its fate.

Approaching slowly once she sees flickering lights through the fog, taking advantage of the fact that the torches gave away their positions without revealing her due to the water in the air, Airessendria tries to get close enough to see what's going on without being seen herself. Obviously something was happening, but precisely what...well, that remained to be seen. Of course, judging by the nature of the town, it would probably be some kind of lynch mob or break-in. Damn savages, I'm surprised they even managed to put one stone on the other in this place, Airessendria thinks.

OOC:
So, I normally use past tense to denote things happening before the 'current action' in a post, then present when I get to that point. If it's going to be a big problem I can change it, but I'm not really used to writing what's happening "now" in past tense.

Also, Airessendria cast Prestidigitation.

Ursus the Grim
2013-03-02, 10:19 AM
"Damned hound," hissed Sathis, awoken from his sleep. The night before, he had stolen up to the steeple of the church to take a look at the landscape himself. The moonlight had danced upon the mists in strange ways, and he had been unable to see a place to go, aside from the muted glow of another town to the east. He had done it in the dead of night, to minimize chances of being noticed by the apprehensive townsfolk, and had been late returning to the miserable hut he shared with his halfling companion. He had hoped he would be allowed to sleep in, to dodge the busy hours of the day that bore a brighter shade of grey.

He was no fool, though. Soleil was disciplined, and would not bark without cause. Fortunately, the dog was loud, and Sathis certainly didn't need to wake Roscoe. Rolling off of his small cot, the poisondusk crouched low to the ground, combing his mind for any tricks to escape the inevitable trouble without bloodshed. Could he slip by and flee into the foggy darkness? Almost certainly. But the halfling would have a harder time of it. You don't owe him anything, a voice whispered in his mind. He set it aside. They weren't especially close, no, but they had stuck together this long. Sathis couldn't just abandon him to whatever was at their door. A plan of action came to his mind quicker than the dagger came to his hand.

Assuming he had a moment between the dog barking and chaos erupting, of course. Rolled out of bed and readied his maneuvers. He would have slept in his bracers and kept the dagger underneath, but his other possessions are in his bag near the foot of the cot.

Shinovar
2013-03-02, 11:45 AM
Munkin actually liked the fog. Sure, it set the villagers at ease and made him stuck here, but it also made it easy for Munkin to avoid those that so clearly disliked him. With his hood pulled up, all anyone else would see from a distance was a humanoid figure. From there it was an easy matter to avoid getting close enough to anyone to be recognized. And if he had to, Munkin could look like a human for a time. Munkin had been forced to appear human more and more as days passed. The villagers simply wouldn't deal with him as an elf, and they were reluctant to deal with him as a human. Therefore, Munkin thought it best if he just avoided the villagers.

Munkin began living more and more nocturnally. There were less locals out at night and those that were were easier to avoid.

Munkin had been exploring the town for the past several hours. He would play a game with Flit where they would both explore the same area and compete against each other to see who noticed more through the fog. Tonight the target was down by the docks. Munkin was in a good mood, having beaten Flit tonight, which was somewhat of a rarity. They were just heading back to eat on Munkin's favorite roof in town when Flit flew away without saying a word.

Flit returned with worrisome news. A mob of villagers were gathering with weapons and fire. Munkin decided to investigate, but from a distance. Following a group of men that were carrying hoes and pitchforks, as well as one old battleaxe, Munkin arrived at the scene of the mob just as the terrible sound of angry barking filled the air.

That explains it, this must be where the halfling and lizard are Now that the dog was barking, Munkin knew he no longer had any duty to wake the victims up. His new duty was to slow this group down.

Akata
2013-03-02, 11:08 PM
The previous weeks had become slowly miserable for Roscoe. The xenophobic townsfolk had quickly ceased paying him to care for their animals, and with any travellers still out in the grey soup lost, he was without a good source of income; and out his passion. Fortunately, the money he had taken from the circus was holding out, but for how much longer he didn't know; or when the townsfolk would cease allowing him to buy food for Soleil.

With the rising tension in the hamlet, and with the influx of free time, Roscoe had taken to sleeping in his armor, along with compulsively cleaning his weapons every night. So when Soleil started barking a warning, he was able to lay a hand on his battleaxe fairly easily. Though of course, the lance would be utterly useless in the enclosed space of the dirt floor hut he and Sathis had been renting. Wiping the cobwebs from his mind, he quieted Soleil, seeing the ruddy glow of the torches through the cracks in the wooden door.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-02, 11:18 PM
With the fog so thoroughly limiting visibility, it was easy to forget how small the Hill really was. Airessendria was only a few hundred feet away when the barking started, and managed to reach the crowd before things escalated further. For their part, the mob was holding back, weapons drawn but not advancing; they'd come for an ambush in the night, not a real fight.

Munkin was able to arrive just as quickly, on the far side of the mob from Airessendria; from his vantage point, he could just make out the dull flicker of their torches, and hear snatches of their muttered conversation.

"If we're gonna do this, it has to be now.." "Just give it a few days, the whole town will be with us then..." "How yellow are you, there's only two of them!"

From inside their room - Sathis and Roscoe had only been able to get one between them - they could see the angry red glow of the torches, shining underneath their door. However, they had no indication of how many people waited outside, or how well armed they would be.

Ursus the Grim
2013-03-03, 08:34 AM
Inside the hut, Sathis wrapped a claw tightly around his dagger, as if to reassure himself. How many were out there? Were they armed? He couldn't tell. But the kind of cowards who would attack men while asleep wouldn't have come alone. If needed, they could probably fight their way out, but if there was a way to end this without bloodshed, he would find one. These were scared, desperate people. They didn't deserve to die. Slipping his enchanted bag over his shoulders, he crawled closer to Roscoe.

"What do we do? I could make a break for it and distract them, making way for you and Soleil. Or we could brawl with fists and blade flats. I like option one, we don't know how many there are, and we have to leave now anyway."

He also preferred the first one because once he was on the other side, they'd have to give chase to him, which would be difficult for the average drunken, out-of-shape tallman, or try and fight Roscoe and Soleil. . . which would be even more difficult. Whatever happened, he was ready to act immediately. His claws flexed, digging into the dirt floor as the room began to grow more dim, a wreath of shadows swirling near him.

Slipping into Child of Shadows Stance and readying a Shadow Jaunt for if they open the door.

Shinovar
2013-03-03, 11:36 AM
Knowing that what they needed most was more time, Munkin prepared a distraction. Munkin could think of only one thing certain to catch their attention. Reaching into his pouch, he started chanting.

After a few seconds, more noises could be heard in the distance.

Munkin cast Ghost sound. Because I am not sure how you interpret how complex that can be, I'll cover the range here.

If able, Munkin wants to make the majority of the noise the sound of a lizardfolk raid, screaming, battle cries, and the like. A few of the voices (I get the equivalent of 20 humans) would be used for humans screaming.

If I only get one sound, then it will just be of a lizardfolk raid, to the best of Munkin's ability after being in the town for a few.

The sound originates on the opposite side of the mob from the hut, about 35 feet away.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-03, 12:19 PM
As the sounds of battle roll over the Hill, the gathered mob curse loudly. "Gods, not again..." one of them mutters; another yells "That's coming from my boat!" and takes off into the night; several others follow at once. The rest mill about a few seconds longer, but with the initiative lost and half their number departed, they soon disperse as well.

One shadowy figure lingers longer than the rest, muttering curses as he raises a bottle to his torch, flames leaping forth to dance about the bottles neck; with one final glance over his shoulder he flings the flaming bottle at the door of the inn, the wall blossoming into flame even as he turns and runs into the night.

PersonMan
2013-03-03, 02:19 PM
Airessendria's first instinct is to rush towards the sounds of battle, but stops as she sees one man throw a burning bottle onto the door. Fire...she hated fire. But she couldn't just let it burn - not with people inside. Swearing in quiet Aurelian, she rushes up to the door.

"By the might of Aurelia and in my glorious duty to the second handmaiden, I act," Airessendria says hastily, the central ruby in her necklace lighting up for a brief moment. She makes a series of symbols with her hands and then a downpour of water slams into the growing flame, hopefully snuffing it out.

Using Create Water! Woohoo!

Creating 10 gallons of water over the fire should put it out before it can grow.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-03, 02:22 PM
The sudden deluge flows down across the nascent flames, snuffing them out before the wood even became scorched.

Shinovar
2013-03-03, 02:39 PM
The actions of the cleric surprise Munkin. He didn't think there were many left in this town that would help those not of their race.

Stepping into the view of the woman, Munkin says "You don't seem like the rest of them. Why?"

Munkin is so intrigued by the prospect of a human that isn't so bound by fear and racism, he exposes himself in a way that is out of his norm. However, he is prepared to act at the slightest provocation.

Munkin is ready to cast Blinding Color Surge as fast as he is capable at the first sign of threat or unexplained casting from Airessendria.

Hopefully we won't break into PvP before we even meet, but Munkin is cautious.

PersonMan
2013-03-03, 04:57 PM
Airessendria turns to the one who spoke to her, the instinctive jumping at the surprise suppressed by years of training. It was entirely unbecoming of a priestess of Aur to jump when addressed unexpectedly. At least, that's what she had said to the priestess who had found her and Ailitia playing cat-and-mouse all those years ago. Assessing the newcomer with a glance, Airessendria suppresses the urge to speak Aurelian to him. She had learned after the first time that even the redheaded inhabitants of this continent weren't to be mistaken for her people. Airessendria's eyes don't linger on his weapons, they do stay on his eyes for a moment longer than the rest of him though.

"Of course I don't. Because I am more than they are. I am Airessendria, Augustine Priestess of Aur, the Second Handmaiden. As a priestess and an Aurelian, I cannot allow such weakness to go on unhindered," Airessendria says, looking down at the elf. Her crimson red eyes, their appearance not dulled by the fog, are locked on his, and the twin braids coming down behind her ears seem fresh, as if just made. Airessendria speaks loudly enough for those inside the building to hear her, her tone prideful.

"And who are you, to address a woman so brazenly? What brings you out here, in the night, to gaze upon my might?" She asks, clearly expecting an explanation from the new arrival. Her tone is confident and carries with it authority, or at least the sound of one who has grown accustomed to having it.

Shinovar
2013-03-03, 05:27 PM
Munkin is a bit taken aback by Airessendria's attitude. Not because he isn't used to it, but because the pride and nobility remind him a bit of Rivina.

Discarding that thought as helpful to no one, Munkin responds "Greetings Airessendria, Augustine Priestess of Aur, the Second Handmaiden. I am Munkin, but a humble elf. I came to prevent violence this night. I may have failed in that task if if it weren't for your actions. You have my thanks and respect for what you have done here tonight.

I'm going to go check on those inside. I fear they may not be safe in remaining here. The villagers are distracted for the moment, and I do not believe they will return this night, but it would be foolish to take risks. You are welcome to join me. I assume those within will be grateful for an explanation of what happened here and will no doubt wish to thank you for your quick actions."

Ursus the Grim
2013-03-03, 07:17 PM
Ready to pounce, Sathis lets out a breath of relief that sounds remarkably like a menacing hiss as the voices retreat. He could tell that something, someone had distracted and diverted the bulk of the angry crowd. Just as he allows himself to relax, though, a glass object is thrown against the door and shatters, causing him to hop back a step. Alcohol? As the dirt near the door quickly turns to a muddy mixture from the contents of the glass, he shakes his head in annoyance. Damned drunks. They scream at me for a copper here and there then throw away a silver's worth of perfectly good booze. The liquid flows quickly across the oversaturated mud, more and more slipping under the crack of the door. The smell of liquor is strangely absent, he notes. But what kind of mob carries glass mugs of water?

There are voices outside the door, still. For some reason, some of the villagers lingered. He hefts his dagger and glances at Roscoe.

Prior readied action remains. If he can see a square foot through the doorway after its opened, he will Shadow Jaunt to the other side of the angry drunken villager (or so he presumes). Otherwise he's waiting for Roscoe or the people on the other side to do something first.

Akata
2013-03-04, 09:10 AM
Smelling the fire that began licking at the walls of the hut get put out almost immediately, he looks at Sathis. "Someone put that out. They may be friends." He gives a short whistle to Soleil and steps forward, hefting his axe. Trusting in the two to cover his back, he pulls the door open.

Roscoe readys an action to attack the first threat. He has given Soleil an order to defend.

PersonMan
2013-03-04, 11:41 AM
Airessendria smiles at Munkin's reply. "You know how to talk to women, I see. Don't think that you'll get very far with me if you intend to use flattery," she says. "True, while they will go off for tonight, tomorrow they will again be on the hunt. Such fools would rather search for an easy way to ease their fears than confront them by standing watch,"

As the door opens, Airessendria turns to see the one she just saved from fiery doom. "Hello!" she says, looking down to the man who opened it. "I am Airessendria, Augustine Priestess of Aur, the Second Handmaiden and the one who extinguished the fire one of those fools tried to start," gesturing to Munkin, she says "This is Munkin, a wise elf who came to prevent bloodshed this night,"

Shinovar
2013-03-04, 12:37 PM
Airessendria's actions were much in accord with what Munkin expected for one such as her. She must indeed be a noble used to obedience.

As Airessendria introduces him, Munkin steps forward, removes his hood and slowly lowers his empty hands, palms toward halfling at the door. "We are friends. Your danger has passed for the time being, but your reprieve may not be long."

Ursus the Grim
2013-03-04, 12:56 PM
"Friends? In this town,?" Sathis chuckles bitterly. "You must be new here too. Call me Sathis."

Despite his harsh words, Sathis is grateful. This is no lynch mob waiting for him. He relaxes his posture, the wisps of darkness disappearing swiftly. Not releasing his dagger, he shoulders past the taller humanoids. His eyes reflect the shimmering torchlight as he tries - and fails - to peer through the mist into the distance.

"I will not stay here longer. I want to leave tonight."

Shinovar
2013-03-04, 01:45 PM
"Greetings Santhis. I have a room that I acquired under a different guise. You may both rest there for the remainder of the night if you wish. The villagers will not think to look there."

Munkin knew this was a temporary solution. They had all outstayed their welcome. Perhaps it was time to leave this town, fog or no fog.

Akata
2013-03-04, 02:51 PM
"Greetings. Friends tend to give their names. Under the circumstances though, that can wait. Soleil, come." Roscoe goes inside with Soleil and begins packing all their supplies various bags and packs.

PersonMan
2013-03-04, 03:32 PM
Airessendria nods as the lizard speaks. "Of course I'm new here. I can't imagine staying in this backwater, culturally deprived, criminal infested and weak, drunk mob-filled for over a few months without going insane. I may have a bit of understanding for these drunk fools," she says. Her tone is hard - as if her words weren't enough, it makes it clear that she isn't a fan of Serpent Hill. "If you're planning on leaving, it would be best to make at least a vague plan. Marching out into the marsh at night with no idea of where you're going is the kind of plan these people might come up with,"

"We share the same fate, in a way. Either we go as a group, stay as one, or risk falling to the dangers of either option alone. Staying the rest of the night isn't necessary, there's not much to gain from it and with this fog, it won't matter if we go out there by day or night...except perhaps for the lizardfolk out there..." Airessendria considers. Turning to Santhis, she looks him over briefly. "You don't seem to be nocturnal. Tell me, do you know if the kind out there is?" She asks, looking down to the lizard. Her tone is curious, rather than simply commanding as it was before. Clearly Santhis has intrigued her.

"If we can avoid the attacks of the lizardfolk, or perhaps negotiate passage, I can gather enough food to keep all of us on our feet until we can leave the area covered by the mist," Airessendria continues, stating their options and her ability matter-of-factly. She doesn't let pride into her voice - now was a time to make a plan and act on it, not to bask in her own glory. Besides, they all seemed to be reasonable people. The elf was clearly well adjusted to dealing with women, the lizard seemed to keep his mind on his goals and...well, the small man was at least a pragmatic worker. Not the best entourage, but good enough for an Aurelian priestess in this foreign land.

Shinovar
2013-03-04, 03:42 PM
Munkin was a bit confused by the halfling, but he let no indication color his face or his tone. "My apologies, dear halfling. I thought you had heard the noble priestess. I am Munkin, and this is Airessendria, Augustine Priestess of Aur, the Second Handmaiden."

Munkin turned to Airessendria, "If you wish to leave tonight, then let it be so. I certainly have no ties to this place and would enjoy the added safety of numbers in travel, especially if Santhis can negotiate with the native lizardfolk."

Ursus the Grim
2013-03-04, 04:02 PM
Sathis listened as the tallmen spoke and watched Roscoe go back inside to gather his belongings. He nodded respectfully before speaking, sizing up the human with red eyes that matched her robes, and her shorter (but still tall), cloaked companion. It had been quite a long time since any human spoke to him like an equal. The red woman spoke loudly and spoke with a tone of authority. It had also been quite a long time since he took any orders. He resented it immediately, but what she said made sense.

"Airessendria," he began. The name felt natural to him. Longer than he would have liked, but otherwise not unlike the names Verikex gave to some of the other 'valuable' lizardfolk. "My people hunt at dusk and dawn, but we do not stalk the night. Its too cold, too dark for us. I don't know of these larger cousins of mine that war with the tallmen. I may be able to talk to them. Our tongues should be very close. The language of dragons is very old. I would take my chances with my cousins over the tallmen that no longer tolerate Roscoe and me. If we explain that you and Munkin are not like the other tallmen, they may let us all pass."

He scratched his chin before continuing.

"Still, tallmen are dangerous game. They arm with steel and fletching. Why are the local tribes attacking humans instead of easier prey?"

Shinovar
2013-03-04, 04:11 PM
"That we do not know. Perhaps we can ask them that soon."

Munkin turned to Airessendria. "Do you need to gather supplies for the journey? I have paid my rent in advance and have taken to carrying my valuables with me. I didn't trust the villagers to respect privacy anymore."

Akata
2013-03-04, 10:53 PM
Roscoe finishes packing his things and walks back out, leading Solei by his bridle. "If our antagonists consist of the locals and the lizard folk, then we should leave in the morning. The locals will not be back tonight, and I do not like our chances in the dark against ambushers. As it is, we require a boat and a guide. We will not be able to find out way on our own." He ponders a bit, pushes Soleil's head away on habit to prevent the dog from resting his head. "I doubt that any of the natives would guide us. They don't even want to leave their homes. We should head to the inn, and figure the rest out in the morning. Where are your rooms Munkin?"

Shinovar
2013-03-04, 10:59 PM
"Follow me. In case we get separated in the fog, we need a way to communicate."

Munkin casts message on the other 3

"There, that should do. Now we don't have to worry about communication" Munkin whispers through their new link.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-05, 09:43 PM
As the party prepares to leave, angry shouts can be heard in the distance, coming from the docks; it sounds as though Munkin's ruse has been discovered.

PersonMan
2013-03-06, 04:14 PM
Airessendria frowns. It sounded like the raid had been a fake - why else would they be hearing angry shouts rather than the sounds of battle?

"Our window of opportunity tonight has closed. I agree that we should wait for the morning. I will return to my dwelling, which is nearby, you two can stay with Munkin," Airessendria looks to the elf as she says this, expecting his approval but checking for it anyways.

"Tomorrow morning we can meet up here again and search for the other outsider still in the town. Then we should be able to find one of the locals who is still sane to guide us out into the swamps, if we're planning on contacting the lizardfolk. They seem to be able to navigate the area, perhaps with Sathis' help we can convince them to help us," Airessendria says, a new plan forming in her mind. A priestess had to be adaptable, after all. The drunk half-orc (or was he an orc? She had never paid enough attention to him to tell) probably wouldn't be a very useful ally, but now was the time to gather as much strength as possible before they began to act.

Shinovar
2013-03-06, 04:20 PM
Munkin nodded in acceptance at the words of the priestess. Turning to the other two "Come quickly. We'll have to take a roundabout way there, but they shouldn't be able to find us with this fog."

Ursus the Grim
2013-03-06, 04:48 PM
Sathis grimaces as he follows Munkin, his claw wrapped around the hilt of his dagger.

"I disagree. We won't be safe anywhere in town now that these cretins are out for blood. . . but I'm fool enough to go out there alone. Lead the way, tallman."

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-06, 10:22 PM
They reach Munkin's room without further incident, though curses and frightened, indistinct voices drift through the mists all around them. However, shortly after their arrival, a soft knocking is heard on their door. Munkin's inkeeper, Adrian Marin, one of the older and gentler of the Hill's denizens, steps inside a moment later, soft eyes resting for a moment on Sathis before speaking.

"I understand you had some trouble over where you were staying... Sathis", Adrian says, stopping to light a cigarette before continuing, the tip glowing a dull and sullen red in the ever-present mist. "I came as soon as I heard."

Ursus the Grim
2013-03-06, 11:14 PM
The lizardman hesitates, uncomfortable. Adrian was not among those he considered great enemies, but under the circumstances nor can he spare any trust.

"You have heard the truth. We don't plan on being a nuisance any longer."

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-06, 11:20 PM
Adrian nods sadly. "I don't harbor you any ill will, lizard... I've lived in these parts a good sixty years now, and it's clear to me that you ain't the same type as the one's have been raiding us."

He takes a long draw on his cigarette before continuing. "But... Bogdan said that mob tried to burn his place down, just cause you were staying there. It pains me to say it, but... I just can't take that kind of risk, not with my daughters to think of."

"I'm afraid... I'm afraid I can't let you stay here. Not even tonight."

Ursus the Grim
2013-03-06, 11:50 PM
Sathis laughs bitterly before turning to Munkin and Roscoe.

"See? The choice is not really ours. Adrian, I appreciate your honesty. If the savage raiders can be reasoned with, I will put in a word for you and your daughter."

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-06, 11:54 PM
Adrian nods once before turning to leave. "I'd ask where you intended to go, but... it's probably best if I don't know. I'll come back in ten minutes to make sure you're gone, and if anyone asks, that's the first I'll know of you leaving."

Shinovar
2013-03-07, 12:06 AM
Munkin is surprised at the observation skills of Adrian. There is little he can do however, especially with Santhis already agreeing that they should leave. Munkin gathers his things. Turning to Santhis, he asks "So, where to from here? Airessendria, or trying to brave the wild?"

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-07, 12:23 AM
Shortly after arrival at her rooms - most of the town was still open to Airessendria, and given the town's overall poverty, even a thrifty expenditure had granted her apartments that were both spacious and clean - Airessendria heard a knock at her door.

"C'mon out," a lone male voice called from the streets, drunken words slurred but demanding. " 'wanna talk to you..."

PersonMan
2013-03-07, 11:05 AM
Airessendria is annoyed, again. Some drunk was asking for her to talk to him now? At this time of night? Faking sleep's probably no good, I think he saw or heard me come in...Oh well, I'll deal with him. No point in making things worse, the halfway sane people here are still friendly. If we ever need to come back, I won't want to leave them a bad impression. Tsk...the burden of leadership.

Not wanting to let in a drunk who might be intent on attacking her, Airessendria stops in front of the door, deciding to speak through it for the time being. "About what? I was just going to bed," she replies to his demand, making her tone far friendlier than she felt.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-07, 11:15 AM
It takes a moment or two for the drunk to reply. "'bout those things you've been spending time with" he says. "About you," he continues, a suggestive leer in his voice.

PersonMan
2013-03-07, 11:32 AM
Airessendria rolls her eyes as the man speaks. Typical, she thinks, Barely thinking at all, and that's what's on his mind.

"I see," is all she says, making sure the chain lock on her door is secure before opening it partially. This way she could see whoever this drunken fool was without much risk. Airessendria steps back from the door before opening it, keeping enough distance to avoid anything the drunk might try and shove through the opening.

"Alright, you wanted to talk to me, go ahead and get started," Airessendria says, looking at him through the crack between her door and the frame. She has a...not quite friendly, but open, expression.

I hope you don't mind that I assumed a chain lock onto the door. Thing is, I want this conversation to happen, but Airessendria is going to keep a nice physical barrier between her and this guy just about no matter what.

Also, readied action to slam the door if he tries anything aggressive - specifically looking for weapons or (I doubt it, but hey, you never know) spellcasting.

I have a question about readied actions: Could you potentially ask me OOC, if I'm online, about if an action triggers to avoid potential misunderstandings?

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-07, 11:44 AM
The drunk was leaning against the door when Airessendria opened it, and staggers forward as his support pulls away. After a few unsteady seconds of recovery, he turns to stare at Airessendria through the cracked door; his face is the sort that's sold in bulk in Serpent Hill, heavily weathered and ill-maintained and tough as driftwood.

"We wanna know wha... wha yer intenenetions are.." the drunk slurs, pushing himself in closer to the door, almost like he's trying to fit his head through the opening. "There'sh... decisions, tha' need t'be made..."

PersonMan
2013-03-07, 11:53 AM
Airessendria's internal grin is entirely hidden as she replies, her face a mildly friendly mask. Exactly what I was hoping for. If this drunk can just stay coherent enough to meet up with the others, the problems for me and the others should all but evaporate,

"I was actually finishing a plan with them to leave," Airessendria begins. "We can tell that we aren't really welcome here any more, so I was thinking we'd all group up - including that sullen half-orc - and find a guide to take us out into the swamps," she explains.

"What decisions are you speaking of?" Airessendria asks, her tone controlled, sounding curious and somewhat more innocent than she normally does when she speaks. The normal pride and often-present 'better than you' tone is entirely gone as well, just like it is when she's dealing with people whose opinion matters. She was playing the devotee of Ailee with this, but Aur would understand.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-07, 12:23 PM
The drunk pulls back from the door, beady eyes narrowing in suspicion.

"I'm not sure if we want to let that little snake leave... lizards killled young Olen jus' last week... doesn't seem right..." he mumbles, drifting off into silence before starting again.

"One way or 'tother, those... outsiders... need t' be dealt with," he continues, swaying slightly, liquor stinking on his breath. "Y' ain't from around here, but at least yer human... we need t'know whose side you're on..."

PersonMan
2013-03-07, 12:39 PM
"We're actually planning on trying to get the lizardfolk to stop attacking this village," Airessendria says. That scaly guy had better be grateful after I'm doing all this just to save his little behind,"

"It's better for you if you just let us all go. If the lizardfolk kill us, they'll probably be satisfied for a while and won't attack the village for that much longer. If we can convince them to stop, then you never get attacked again. If we die in the swamp..." Airessendria shrugs. "Then we're not a problem anymore. Really, I'm solving all your outsider problems by taking them with me when I go. I'm on your side - but why go through the trouble of killing the others if I can bring them to do something helpful for the village?"

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-07, 12:51 PM
The man stares through the doorway for a long moment, suspicion and incomprehension battling in his wet, unfocused eyes. After several moments he apparently decides the intellectual effort is too great for him and pushes off from the door, staggering back into the mists and out of sight without another word.

Akata
2013-03-07, 03:17 PM
Roscoe turns and climbs into Soleil's saddle, sheathing his battleaxe in favor of his lance. "We must find the orc tonight. At this time, I believe he will be the only individual capable of guiding us, and willing. Adrian, wait. Where is the orc boatman, I have heard tale of?" Soleil turns and sniffs the air, checking the groups surroundings.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-07, 03:26 PM
Adrian pauses for a moment, halfway out the door. "His boat is docked far out along the southern docks... but if it were me, I'd start with the bars."

Shinovar
2013-03-07, 03:33 PM
Munkin turns to the halfling "Do you really think it is wise to be around the drunk townsmen this night?"

Ursus the Grim
2013-03-07, 08:04 PM
Sathis ignores the elf's continued mispronunciation of his name. Its the last thing he would like to be offended about. Instead he seeks a compromise. The others are too afraid to brave the mist at night, therefore they need this guide. However, waltzing into the tavern, in light of recent events, is a similarly bad idea. Making sure he's out of Soleil's path, he chimes in.

"We need him, but we also can't get to him. Why don't we split up. Munkin, you find Airessendria and the guide. Roscoe and I can wait by the docks. The fog will be thickest there and we can avoid notice."

Shinovar
2013-03-07, 09:09 PM
Munkin is hesitant about splitting up, but he realizes they have few options.

Munkin nods to Sathis and heads out the door.

Munkin intends to sneak to Airessendria's room (assuming he knows where it is), turning invisible if necessary.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-07, 09:11 PM
Munkin is hesitant about splitting up, but he realizes they have few options.

Munkin nods to Sathis and heads out the door.

Munkin intends to sneak to Airessendria's room (assuming he knows where it is), turning invisible if necessary.

Hrrm... she didn't explicitly tell you...
Time for a retroactive "Gather Information" check.

Ursus the Grim
2013-03-07, 09:32 PM
"Roscoe, I'm the primary enemy of these people. It will be safer for us both if we go separately. I can avoid notice, and you won't have a large green target on your back. I'll meet you at the last boat on the docks."

Sathis slips away at that, attempting to keep to the shadows and stay as hidden as he can on his way to the docks.

In case its relevant, I'll roll Hide. You're welcome to roll one yourself if you'd prefer me not knowing the roll. Naturally, just ignore it if you don't care.
[roll0]

Shinovar
2013-03-07, 09:39 PM
Gather information: [roll0]

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-07, 09:44 PM
Sathis disappears into the night with an abundance of graceful and natural stealth which is almost entirely wasted in the already blinding fog. His swift journey down to the docks proves incident-free, though several times he sees small groups of shadowy figures passing near him in the mists. Before long he's stepping out onto the water-logged wood of the docks, the waters of the marsh lapping silently beneath his feet.

Hah. First nat 20 of the game, and it would be a DC 10 skill check if I were being really mean. Seriously, a Terrasque could hide in this stuff.

>_>

Not that there is one, or anything. :smallbiggrin:

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-07, 09:47 PM
Munkin had kept one ear to the floor even before things started to go bad, and it was no great feat to keep track of which inn the foreign priestess was housed at; indeed, her sleeping arrangements seemed a constant subject of debate among the town's numerous drunks. Her current quarters were in the only truly decent hotel in town, located high along the Hill, just beneath the rocky outcropping that housed the chapel.

Ursus the Grim
2013-03-07, 09:49 PM
Content with his undetectable journey to the docks, Sathis settles in next to a larger crate and rifles through his bag. Extracting a vial and a small, gooey pouch he tethers them to his belt before resealing the bag and waiting. He keeps an ear out for any sounds that might reveal what the mists hide. In particular, he listens for the sounds of another lizardfolk raid.

Just moving flask of Ssartisss and a tanglefoot bag to easy reach.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-07, 10:02 PM
Hmm... why not, listen check.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-07, 10:07 PM
Sathis' ears pick up the sound of... something? Sometimes the wind sounds like a voice. Whatever it is, it's moving further away.

Shinovar
2013-03-07, 10:13 PM
Munkin heads over the the hotel of Airessendria, being careful to stay out of sight of the townsfolk.

Hide:
[roll0]

Munkin intends on being invisible if needed, so I'm rolling Spot too so Munkin can avoid people better. Ignore it if its unnecessary.
Spot:
[roll1]

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-07, 10:16 PM
Munkin heads over the the hotel of Airessendria, being careful to stay out of sight of the townsfolk.

Hide:
[roll0]

Munkin intends on being invisible if needed, so I'm rolling Spot too so Munkin can avoid people better. Ignore it if its unnecessary.
Spot:
[roll1]

The mists are all the cover Munkin needs, though he has does see a number of shadowy groups moving through the mists; this night seems to carry a great deal of pedestrian traffic. Magic is not required to avoid them, however, and soon Munkin reaches Airessendria's house.

Shinovar
2013-03-07, 10:23 PM
Munkin sneaks up to Airessendria's door and gives it a light but firm knock.

"Priestess, we have encountered trouble and your aid would be most appreciated."

Ursus the Grim
2013-03-07, 10:32 PM
Sathis is intrigued by the noise. He cannot discern what it is, but it is constant and moving in one direction. It is not natural. With a glance toward the town, he dives into the water to give pursuit. He wishes he could call out, but if it was a raider they would not come to a call. There was always the risk of being heard by a townsman as well.

He grasps his blade tightly as he cuts through the water. There were likely alligators in the swamp somewhere.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-07, 10:34 PM
As Sathis follows the source of the noise, it becomes clearer and clearer; soon he can make out words. "Please, is anyone out there?" it cries, pain and fear heavy on every word. "For gods' sake, please, anyone, help me!"

Ursus the Grim
2013-03-07, 10:43 PM
Sathis is suspicious of the noise. Why would a wounded villager swim away from safety? The voice also sound like a lizardfolk, not even one of his bigger cousins. He would not allow his caution to damn someone to die. He continued to swim through dark water and pale fog towards noise.

"Is someone there? Speak to me and I can help."

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-07, 10:47 PM
"Oh thank the gods, I'm here, I'm here," the voice cries out weakly; drawing closer, Sathis can see that it comes from a sleek canoe, though from his position swimming in the water, he can't see anyone inside.

Does Sathis have scent? If not, continue from here.

Ursus the Grim
2013-03-07, 11:02 PM
"I'm here to help, but you won't be grateful for it. If you have energy enough to fight, I tell you to save it."

Sathis considers using his shadow jaunt to climb aboard the boat but decides not to. Instead he grips his dagger in his jaws as he tries to haul himself into the canoe.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-07, 11:13 PM
The bottom of the canoe is pooled with blood; the moment Sathis lifts himself over the side the stench of it fills his nostrils. A young woman, somewhere in her early twenties, is slumped over at the bow of the boat, brown leather clothing torn, a half-dozen gouges and wounds visible beneath the clothing; above, short brown hair is matted to the side of her head with blood; half her head is wrapped in bandages that cover one eye, but the rest of the gauze trails off to the side, as though the wrapping were never finished.

Nonetheless, her good eye goes wide with panic at the sight of Sathis, and her hand snatches up the broken paddle and waves it vaguely in his direction. "No! No! Please, gods, please no!" she cries out, stabbing in his direction with the broken end of the paddle, though she hardly has the strength to lift it.

Spot check.

Akata
2013-03-07, 11:41 PM
Roscoe heads down to the docks on a circuitous manner, skipping through alleys and behind buildings, listening for the sounds of local drunks. They get to the dock without incident, slipping by the small groups in the fog without arousing their notice. Soleil pads silently out from an alley and stops. Slipping off the dog, Roscoe shoulders his lance.

"Sathis?" He looks around in the fog automatically, before smacking his forehead. The fog doesn't let him see his own nose, let alone a lizardfolk who is trying to hide. He looks at Soleil. "Find him boy."

Track command to find Sathis.

Survival check for tracking: [roll0]

Ursus the Grim
2013-03-07, 11:42 PM
The brutality of the scene disturbs Sathis. Even in his days as a mass murderer off Kobolds, he would never have left a foe to die like this. It is undeniably the work of lizardfolk. The woman's panic is understandable and Sathis is astonished she is still conscious. This could be difficult. Perched on the far end of the canoe, he dips into his bag to retrieve another flask.

"Please. I am a friend. I am not like the ones who hurt you. No more than you aye like a halfling from another city."

Spot
[roll0]

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-07, 11:43 PM
Soleil bounds forward eagerly, making it a whole five paces before stopping at the edge of the docks, staring intently at the water and then looking back over his shoulder at Roscoe, wagging his tail.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-07, 11:46 PM
The fear doesn't leave the woman's eyes, but it makes little difference; the exertion of lifting the paddle exhausted whatever reserves she had left and she slumps backwards, either unconscious or so weak as to make little difference, lips still moving but no sound coming out.

Ursus the Grim
2013-03-07, 11:54 PM
Sathis realizes she is on her way out, but he was never good at first aid. The woman needs someone else to help her. Hopping into the water he attempts to tow the canoe back towards the dock.

Preemptive swim check. Can roll whatever.
[roll0]

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-08, 12:00 AM
Sathis realizes she is on her way out, but he was never good at first aid. The woman needs someone else to help her. Hopping into the water he attempts to tow the canoe back towards the dock.

Preemptive swim check. Can roll whatever.
[roll0]

I was gonna tell you to just use the paddle, but after that roll... Sathis the Living Outboard Motor it is.

Sathis' swift and powerful strokes propel both lizard and canoe through the water; the woman makes no further response, but within a few minutes the docks can be soon looming out of the mist, the waiting forms of Roscoe and Soleil swimming into view.

Ursus the Grim
2013-03-08, 12:09 AM
Damn. Me and my useless epic rolls. Also I thought a broken paddle might be hard to manage with short arms.

Sathis says nothing until he draws near Roscoe.

"You know it was not me, but we need to stop the bleeding."

PersonMan
2013-03-08, 12:20 AM
Munkin sneaks up to Airessendria's door and gives it a light but firm knock.

"Priestess, we have encountered trouble and your aid would be most appreciated."

The immediate response is an unhappy-sounding groan.

Airessendria gets up for the second time in one night, running her hands over her just-debraided hair and using the magic still flowing through her to weave them back together. All they need to do is follow the plan. That's it, really, just follow the plan. But no, they have to come bother me because something went wrong... Airessendria thinks tiredly, looking down at her neatly folded clothes and considering the time needed to put it all on.

Deciding to see what was happening first, Airessendria goes to the door, opening it a crack so she can peer out at the elf (she was right, it was him!) without him seeing more than perhaps part of a bare shoulder.

"What is it?" she asks, clearing some of the sleep from her voice. That was only to make room for the precise combination of annoyance and curiosity that filled the formerly occupied space, though. There's a clear 'this had better be worth my time...' in Airessendria's gaze.

Akata
2013-03-08, 12:25 AM
"Why do we always seem to find the problems? Soleil, help!" Roscoe reaches down and grabs Sathis, helping him onto the dock, then proceeds to lift the woman and put her down on the dock. "She needs a dry floor and heat. I'll fix this attempt at bandaging, you find someplace." Roscoe pulls some bandages out of one of Soleil's bags and begins fixing the girl's wounds.

I'm assuming that as a former animal handler, Roscoe still has some bandages left.
Heal: [roll0]

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-08, 12:34 AM
"Why do we always seem to find the problems? Soleil, help!" Roscoe reaches down and grabs Sathis, helping him onto the dock, then proceeds to lift the woman and put her down on the dock. "She needs a dry floor and heat. I'll fix this attempt at bandaging, you find someplace." Roscoe pulls some bandages out of one of Soleil's bags and begins fixing the girl's wounds.

I'm assuming that as a former aiml handler, Roscoe still has some bandages left.

She hadn't used even half of her own roll of gauze - it looks like she might have passed out halfway through applying it. Also, make a spot check. And another heal check.

Roscoe is able to competently replace the bandages, though upon closer examination, it seems the bleeding stopped some time ago; the woman must have been drifting for hours if not longer since receiving her wounds. Beyond the damage to her body, the woman is clearly concussed, and appears to be swimming in and out of consciousness, though, thankfully, she makes no further sound.

Shinovar
2013-03-08, 09:09 AM
Munkin is grateful that the priestess is still willing to help. He regrets that she seems displeased with him, but he has had little choice in matters thus far. "Priestess, my Innkeeper somehow discovered that the halfling and lizardfolk were in his building. He is not a violent man, nor hateful, but he wouldn't have them on his property for fear of another mob. He was kind enough to tell us where to find the Orc guide though: at the taverns. We thought it unwise for the others to be any closer to drunk townsfolk than was necessary. Please, you are the only human who has shown us any kindness. I fear you are the only one who will be able to find the Orc without violence being directed against you. I can accompany you, disguised as a human, but it would be best if you lead so as to not direct too much attention to me."

Munkin intends to use Disguise Self to appear to be a human to accompany Airessendria

PersonMan
2013-03-08, 10:01 AM
Airessendria knows what her answer will be even as she pretends to mull it over. There was now way she could just turn them down, even if her bed was so comfortable and warm...

"Alright, I'll be there momentarily. Despite half the town seeming to want to interrupt me, I had just gone to bed," she replies, closing the door gently.

Then she turns and begins to pick up her clothing, still-active magic helping her put everything on even faster than she normally does. Finally placing the second of her two necklaces around her neck, Airessendria makes sure her clothing is all in order before she unlocks and opens the door, stepping out of her room the second time that night.

"Alright...wait, where are the others? Are you sure it's a good idea to have them go off on their own?" Airessendria asks, looking down a Munkin, considering the possibility of their inhuman friends being attacked by a mob while outside on their own. Sometimes she was just too big hearted towards these simple people.

Shinovar
2013-03-08, 10:18 AM
Munkin waits patiently while Airessendria gets ready. He had known that she would help, but it was still good to hear her confirm it.

"Sathis thought it best if they not try to sneak around at night in the town. They have gone to the docks, where the fog is the thickest. We are to meet them there after we have found the Orc."

Munkin hopes she does not disaprrove the chosen course. Airessendria seems like one who is always sure what is best and has little patience for those that disagree.

PersonMan
2013-03-08, 10:49 AM
Airessendria considers their plan for a moment, nodding as she weighs the benefits and drawbacks. "I see. That's not a bad decision. Come on, let's go find this drunk orc," she says, making her way towards the nearest bar. The places were all the same, and normally she wouldn't have gone through the effort of learning which was which, but as the situation in the town had gotten worse, she needed to remember which of the ingrates had closed their doors to her.

Reaching the door of one, Airessendria composes herself for a moment, checking to make sure Munkin is disguised, before knocking on the door and putting on a friendly face.

"Hello, we're just looking for the orc. Have you seen him? We'll be leaving with him tonight or tomorrow morning, you see," she says, speaking quickly to avoid getting the door shut in her face. She mentions leaving to get whoever answers in a helpful mood - if these people knew they wanted to leave, they should be somewhat useful, at least.

Ursus the Grim
2013-03-08, 11:21 AM
Sathis is impressed by the halfling's deft work. He can't tell a thing about her status through the blood and fabric, but Roscoe clearly knows what he's doing.

We can't bring her into town. Will she be alright if we leave her here? Someone would find her soon enough.

Akata
2013-03-08, 12:26 PM
Heal check: 1d20+8
Spot check: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]

Akata
2013-03-08, 12:27 PM
OC: sorry for double post, the heal check didn't go through

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-08, 12:33 PM
As Roscoe tends to the young woman's wounds, two realizations follow quickly on one another's heels.

First, he recognizes her; her wounds have rendered her all but unrecognizable, but the woman before him is none other that Sophia Clara, the guide who left Serpent Hill shortly after the attacks started, promising to reach Fenridge and send help.

Secondly, she isn't human. While she's taken some lengths to disguise the fact, up close and absent her usual hood, it's evident that she's at least half Elven.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-08, 12:51 PM
Upon closer inspection, it seems unlikely that Sophia's wounds will be the death of her, at least not before she were found by the local townspeople - though what might happen if they discovered her mixed ancestry is anyone's guess.

While not immediately life-threatening, the damage is extensive; one eye is almost entirely destroyed, she's badly concussed, several wounds are already showing signs of infection, and the blood loss has done significant damage to her systems. While most of the obvious damage could be fixed by basic healing spells, it will take either time or more powerful magics before she's fully recovered.

Read: In addition to hovering around 2 HP, she's taken massive ability damage from blood loss, head trauma and infection. (Thing something like -10 to every attribute, and the eye might require Regeneration to come back at all.)

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-08, 01:28 PM
Airessendria considers their plan for a moment, nodding as she weighs the benefits and drawbacks. "I see. That's not a bad decision. Come on, let's go find this drunk orc," she says, making her way towards the nearest bar. The places were all the same, and normally she wouldn't have gone through the effort of learning which was which, but as the situation in the town had gotten worse, she needed to remember which of the ingrates had closed their doors to her.

Reaching the door of one, Airessendria composes herself for a moment, checking to make sure Munkin is disguised, before knocking on the door and putting on a friendly face.

"Hello, we're just looking for the orc. Have you seen him? We'll be leaving with him tonight or tomorrow morning, you see," she says, speaking quickly to avoid getting the door shut in her face. She mentions leaving to get whoever answers in a helpful mood - if these people knew they wanted to leave, they should be somewhat useful, at least.

"Like hell you will," a rumbling voice responds from a bar stool in the corner; there is seated the Orc, his hulking form occupying nearly twice the space of any other patron. "Your pet lizard might be scared of these mewling wretches, but I'm not. Barkeep! Another ale, and if you don't make it the good stuff this time, I'll be drinking the next one out of your bloody, broken skull."

Akata
2013-03-08, 02:28 PM
"Oh wow... Sathis, she's one of the local guides. The one who left to get help." Roscoe continues to bind the wounds. "She needs medical attention that I can't give her here. It's always good to have someone in your debt. I'm taking her back to Adrian. He'll probably help if we are helping a local.... at least I hope so." Roscoe has Soleil lie down next to Clara and pulls her onto the saddle, binding her loosely in place so she doesn't fall off. "WE should leave some message so they know where we went."

Shinovar
2013-03-08, 04:19 PM
Munkin looks at the bulk of the orc and the number of drunken townsfolk around him. I wonder how likely a fight is right now. I hope Airessendria hasn't upset the orc already Munkin is not in his element in a well lit tavern brawl, but he prepares his best spell for the occasion to be safe.

Munkin prepares to cast color spray if a fight breaks out and any of the townsfolk attempt to threaten him or Airessendria.

Ursus the Grim
2013-03-08, 05:48 PM
Sathis shakes his head.

"You can bring her. But how will it look for a woman covered in claw marks to be dragged around by me? What happen if someone else finds our letter. How are the other two to see it in this mist. No, I wait here."

PersonMan
2013-03-09, 01:09 PM
"Like hell you will," a rumbling voice responds from a bar stool in the corner; there is seated the Orc, his hulking form occupying nearly twice the space of any other patron. "Your pet lizard might be scared of these mewling wretches, but I'm not. Barkeep! Another ale, and if you don't make it the good stuff this time, I'll be drinking the next one out of your bloody, broken skull."

Airessendria raises an eyebrow. "You prefer to stay here, then? Alright, but remember that even a 'mewling wretch', as you call them, can slit a throat," she says. The orc annoyed her, but she hadn't really been expecting much. Just another drunken fool.

"Come on, let's get to the others," the priestess says after the door is closed, not seeming particularly disappointed by the event behind them. The fool clearly had no idea what he was talking about, but that was to be expected of a male like him. The drink really just enhanced his already present qualities.

Shinovar
2013-03-09, 02:27 PM
Munkin is not pleased with the way this night has turned out. They need this orc. No one else will guide them. However, he is hesitant to try to overrule Airessendria.

As the door closes, Munkin casts quickly.

Munkin casts message

As Munkin and Airessendria start to walk to the docks to find their other companions, Munkin whispers "If you wish to be treated with respect and valued, to not have to fear a knife from behind, or if you wish to simply leave these annoying fools, meet us at the docks. We won't wait long."

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-09, 02:51 PM
As the door closes behind him, the Orc stares dully into space. After a long moment he glances down, growling "Gods damn it, my drink's talking to me again."

PersonMan
2013-03-09, 04:15 PM
Airessendria prided herself on many things. Her keen senses...weren't included. She was fairly observant, but in the temple many of her sisters in worship were far more aware of their surroundings. Still, her ears are sharp enough to pick up the telltale sounds of magic being worked. Airessendria's great knowledge of magic, something she does pride herself on, allows her to easily recognize the spell: Message.

It was a simple arcane formula, one she had easily mastered, and hearing the words spoken again reminded her of why she knew them so well. She and Ailitia had told many secrets, had many conversations, kept each other out of significant trouble, all with the communication offered by that one spell. For a moment, Airessendria strokes the broken chain link lying a the base of her neck, at the edge of her crimson clothing.

"I hope you aren't expecting him to reply," she says after a moment of reminiscing. "I doubt a dullard like him would even recognize the type of magic involved, much less know what it means,"

Shinovar
2013-03-09, 04:30 PM
Munkin suppressed an instant of surprise. Of course one such as she would know what he was doing. Munkin meets her eyes and smiles. "He thinks his drink is talking to him. Apparently it has happened before." Munkin looks ahead, straining to see through the fog. "I hope nothing has happened to the others."

Munkin opens his cloak and Flit flies out. "Flit, go check on them for us. Make sure they are alright." Flit flies off ahead of them at full speed.

PersonMan
2013-03-09, 04:49 PM
Airessendria lets out the lightest of chuckles, acknowledging the humor of the orc's failure to understand without truly laughing. As Munkin mentions the others, she nods, becoming fully serious again. When the elf reveals himself to be carrying a bird with him, she's surprised, but hides it. Not that the fog made it hard, even only a few steps apart it would probably hide her briefly raised eyebrows.

"They should be fine. The fog there is thick enough to let them hide easily and there's really no reason for anyone to be down there in the first place," Airessendria reassures, easing her own brief worry with the same words. Not that she would ever admit to worrying about the others in the group when there was really so little danger.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-09, 04:53 PM
Flit disappears into the mist, quickly finding his way to the docks and fluttering for a brief moment around the pair hunched over the wounded woman before making his way back to Munkin.

Shinovar
2013-03-09, 05:01 PM
Flit returns to Munkin and tells him of the others safety. However, the rest of what Flit saw worries Munkin. As Flit flies back into his customary resting place, Munkin turns to Airessendria. "We've got trouble. They are unharmed, but Flit says that there is a third person with them, and she appears to be greatly injured. It seems as if someone has found them and they were forced to take action against her."

PersonMan
2013-03-09, 05:13 PM
Airessendria frowns. What have those two gotten us all into now? She wonders, very much disliking what she had heard. Outwardly she stays fairly calm, intent on keeping a cool head. Now was not the time to panic and send the whole situation spiraling out of control.

"Let's get over there, I think we need to find out precisely what happened. If the woman was alone or not..." Airessendria decides, increasing her pace significantly.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-09, 05:19 PM
The docks are not far from the bar, and Airessendria's rapid gait carrier her quickly through the mists. Before long she's on the docks, and can make out the blurred figures of the halfling and lizard, still hunched over the wounded woman between them.

Shinovar
2013-03-09, 05:33 PM
Munkin follows Airessendria as she increases her pace. He is worried that things have already escalated to bloodshed. They may need to leave town even quicker than he thought.

PersonMan
2013-03-09, 05:34 PM
Airessendria closes the distance between her and the others, slowing down as she approaches. "What happened?" The priestess asks as she comes closer, gaze sweeping the area for other bodies or signs of a battle. Nothing she could see, but with this fog...

"Let me see her," Airessendria says, crouching down next to the woman to examine her wounds. Noting their severity, she touches the center ruby of her necklace, Aur's symbol on it shining briefly.

"In the name of the Second Handmaiden, the Power Over Magic, Aur, I invoke my power!" Airessendria speaks forcefully, and gently places a hand on the woman, searching for uninjured flesh to avoid worsening her injuries.

Right, so, there goes Bless. Curing Light Wounds: [roll0]

EDIT: Aww yeah, power healing.

Ursus the Grim
2013-03-09, 05:48 PM
Sathis steps aside as their companions interrupt their discussion.

"I found her wounded in that canoe over there, afloat in the mist. I frightened her. Roscoe administered first aid and we were not sure what to do next. "

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-09, 06:01 PM
Spot checks from Munkin and Airessendria as soon as they get a good luck at her; extra heal check from Airessendria, if she does any healing. (Magical or otherwise.)

Shinovar
2013-03-09, 06:05 PM
Munkin is revealed to hear that Sathis and Roscoe were not the ones to cause this. Munkin has a small amount of doubt that Sathis speaks the truth, but he decides to trust him for the time being and let no trace of his doubt show.

Spot check:
[roll0]

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-09, 06:10 PM
Munkin is revealed to hear that Sathis and Roscoe were not the ones to cause this. Munkin has a small amount of doubt that Sathis speaks the truth, but he decides to trust him for the time being and let no trace of his doubt show.

Spot check:
[roll0]

As munkin's eyes wander over the wounded woman, he somehow finds himself reminded of Ravina, though it takes him a few moments to realize why. Beneath the dirt and blood covering her face, and lacking her customary hood, the signs are clear to anyone who know's what they're looking at; the girl is at least half elven.

After another second's examination, Munkin realizes that he's seen her before - although at the time, he did not make the connection about her race. The woman is none other than Sophia Clara, the one guide bold enough to strike out for Fenridge in search of help after the attacks started.

Shinovar
2013-03-09, 06:17 PM
Munkin is overcome by emotion for a moment. Stifling it, he looks at his companions.

"This woman has braved the wilds. She was the only villager courageous enough to brave the fog. We need to know what she knows about what awaits us. She should be more willing to help us than the others. She has not a small amount of elven blood."

Ursus the Grim
2013-03-09, 06:35 PM
Sathis hisses with mild annoyance and frustration. He wishes the woman well but his life is endangered each minute they linger.

"And where do we have this pleasant talk? We cannot stay here even an hour longer. We cannot take her with us. And I doubt she even made far enough to learn anything useful. It looks like my savage kin got her soon after she departed."

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-09, 06:45 PM
As Airessendria's magics was over her, many of the young woman's wounds close, and a small amount of color leeches back into her face. For half a moment she tries to sit up before collapsing back, a groan of pain leaving her lips, many shallow cuts still covering her body.

Ursus the Grim
2013-03-09, 06:49 PM
Sathis, recalling how he upset her last, chooses to step back into the mist and avoid her weary eyes.

Hide.If you like.
[roll0]

PersonMan
2013-03-09, 06:52 PM
Airessendria turns to Sathis, her tone soothing but firm. "Calm yourself. We are not being pursued. The villagers will sooner aid one of their own than lash out at us, we need not fear an attack now," she says.

Turning back to the injured woman, she makes a hopefully comforting 'shh'. "Just rest for a moment," she says, her voice filled with gentle authority. In Aur's name, with her blessing and by my might, be healed! Airessendria thinks, divine power welling up within her, being released in another wave as she touches the woman again.

More heals, less Bless.

[roll0]

Kinda wish I'd just gone with CMW from the start. Oh well. I think I can fill the last bit with my orisons if needed.

EDIT: Who's awesome? Airessendria's awesome. *Kisses dice software*

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-09, 06:55 PM
The woman inhales deeply as almost all of her wounds close, only a few scratches and bruises visible on her skin; however, it's clear that she's still far from fine. Her face remains too pale for comfort, and when she tries to rise once more, she cries out in pain before slumping back, unfocused eyes wandering wildly in her head. Nonetheless, her arm managed to reach out, grabbing Munkin by the wrist for one moment.

"Don't... let them know..." she wheezes, issuing one more word before her eyes close and she falls unconscious once more.

"...Paladin..."

Shinovar
2013-03-09, 06:57 PM
Taking a step towards Sathis, Munkin quietly says "She left weeks ago. If she has just now returned, she may know something. Besides, she is the best guide this town has. Her aid would be invaluable."

Munkin walks towards her boat and attempts to search it for clues to what might have happened to her the past fortnight.

Seach:
[roll0]

Shinovar
2013-03-09, 07:03 PM
Munkin tries to calm the guide down as much as he is able, lowering her slowly after she tries to rise. He is confused about what he hears. The first part seems obvious. Don't let the town know of her mixed blood. However, the second could mean a multitude of things. Is she a paladin? Did a paladin do this? Does she think Munkin himself is a paladin so she trusts him to help her? Munkin makes a mental note to ask Airessendria about it later.

I'm assuming that she grabs me before my last post so all of this happens before. Munkin would talk to Sathis and search the boat after he believes the half elf is calm enough and is in the capable hands of Airessendria for healing.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-09, 07:12 PM
Most of the contents of the boat consist of the mundane but high-quality tools of a professional survivor. several sets of fishing line, a can of bait, a single small net, camoflauged fabrics to hide the boat while resting, a limited selection of medical supplies, several jugs of clean water and a basic repair kit fill most of the cargo hold.

In addition to these, Munkin finds a single set of maps, bound in a waterproof bundle and hidden in a small compartment on the underside of the boat. While the original sources of the maps seem varied, all of them are covered in numerous notes and markings written in Sophia's squirrely handwriting. From what Munkin can make out, these notes detail corrections and additions to the official maps - which she apparently found lacking, as well as numerous lines and arrows that seem to document other aspects of the wild entirely. Unfortunately, all of these notes are made in an unusual shorthand that Sophia seems to have developed for her own use, rendering them quite indecipherable.

Finally, one damp package rests at the head of the canoe, addressed to Brother Luca, the cleric who runs the temple; the package is closed with a wax blob, bearing a seal that Munkin does not immediately recognize.

PersonMan
2013-03-09, 07:37 PM
Airessendria's decision is swift and confident. There was really only one option - all others were merely paths into weakness and away from the path of strength. Of course, the specifics were more open. Testing the half-elf woman's weight, she quickly realizes that carrying her isn't really an option. Not without giving up her pride, which wasn't going to happen unless the situation became dire.

"Munkin, aid me. We will take the woman back to my abode to help her recover," Airessendria says. There's something different in her tone now. It isn't just firm, there's a deeper strength and conviction in it. Assuming he complies, she gives precise instructions on how to lift the injured woman's legs, taking the torso in her own arms. Luckily she still had the endurance gained over years of transporting piles of books in essentially the same posture as she was carrying Sophia's upper body with, so she could probably make it to her apartment without trouble.

Shinovar
2013-03-09, 07:42 PM
Munkin takes the maps and the package and puts them in his bag. The rest can wait, but those seem too important to risk losing.

"Of course" He calls out to Airessendria.

As he walks over to help Airessendria, he looks to Sathis. "Sathis, will you please hid her boat somewhere the villagers won't immediately find it? There is camouflage inside to aid you in this."

Ursus the Grim
2013-03-09, 07:50 PM
Sathis is clearly in the minority in this. The others don't see the urgency of their situation, but there is a tone in Airessendria's voice that allows for no further argument.

"Where is the place?," he asks as he steps into the canoe and takes up the paddle. It feels surprisingly light in his hands, even though it was clearly made for someone taller.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-09, 08:24 PM
Airessendria and Munkin are passing through an alley about halfway to her appartment when the former's foot hits a discarded bottle, sending it clattering away down the street. From the street, a voice raises:

"Maria? Is that you? Can't believe you kept me waiting so long..." it slurs, growing closer.

Judging by the voice, you have a round or two before he can see you - you're not exactly certain.

PersonMan
2013-03-09, 08:29 PM
Airessendria nearly jumps at the noise and thinks a dozen curses as the bottle clatters with to her unbelievable noise across the street. Then came the drunken voice...just great. Taking a brief moment to compose herself, Airessendria nearly speaks before she remembers something. Looking at Munkin, she whispers "Say something! You don't sound like a woman," to him urgently.

Shinovar
2013-03-09, 08:44 PM
"Go away, you old drunk. I'm not Maria."

Laying Sophia down slowly, Munkin chants in a quieter voice and picks Sophia back up. As he does, she disappears.

Munkin cast Invisibility on Sophia

"I should have done that already. We look much less suspicious now." He whispers to Airessendria.

PersonMan
2013-03-09, 08:52 PM
Airessendria nods approvingly of Munkin's actions. It was a clever ploy, turning her invisible, however...

"I think you forgot we're still visible. Two people walking around as if they're carrying something big and heavy, without there being anything there, is as much or more suspicious than we were before," she says, continuing the way back to her apartment, hoping to avoid any other problems on the way.

Shinovar
2013-03-09, 08:57 PM
"Its much more difficult to tell that our postures indicate we are carrying something than it is to see two people carrying a body. It won't hold up to close inspection, but to a casual observer, it should help, especially with the fog or if the observer is drunk. Besides, we can put her down more easily than we can hide her if it comes to it."

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-09, 08:59 PM
I suppose that, technically, you don't even need to roll bluff for that. :smalltongue:

Munkin and Airessendria are able to make the rest of the way back to the priestess's apartments unmolested; it seems the town has finally gone to sleep.

Shinovar
2013-03-09, 09:35 PM
Munkin and Airessendria make it up to Airessendria's room. As Airessendria busies herself with healing Sophia, Munkin sits by the door and closes his eyes to rest. Flit pokes his head out of his hiding spot and takes watch while Munkin relaxes.

Ursus the Grim
2013-03-09, 09:37 PM
After nestling the canoe beneath a low hanging tree, Sathis swims back to the docks, a pale green shape in the misty waters. Hauling himself up nimbly, he collects Roscoe and attempts to follow the directions he was given, grumbling to himself along the way.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-09, 10:58 PM
Sathis's travel to Airessendria's lodgings is uneventful; it seems even the wandering drunks have at last gone to sleep.

Ursus the Grim
2013-03-10, 08:30 AM
Glancing about to make sure he is alone, the lizardfolk knocks twice, then once more. He can only hope its as safe as the others think it is.

PersonMan
2013-03-10, 09:24 AM
Airessendria looks up from tending to Sophia at the two knocks, waiting for the third before she rises and heads over to the door. Opening it a crack, she checks to see who's there and sees Sathis, fulling opening the door for him to slip inside quickly before shutting it again.

Airessendria returns to her charge once the small lizard is within the apartment, double-checking her work before she continues it.

Shinovar
2013-03-10, 09:52 AM
Flit rouses Munkin as Sathis arrives at the door. As the lizard folk walks in Munkin asks "Did you have any trouble?"

Ursus the Grim
2013-03-10, 10:39 AM
Sathis slips into the apartment, which is significantly nicer than the hut he awoke in. Its also clearly getting crowded. He sets his bag down against the wall before cautiously approaching the elven woman.

"We had no problems. How is she?"

PersonMan
2013-03-10, 12:25 PM
Airessendria gets up from her crouch, looking down at her work. "She's alright for now. If all goes well we can wake her tomorrow, then in a few more days she'll be fully recovered," she explains. "She will need bed rest, though,"

Shinovar
2013-03-10, 02:53 PM
Hearing that everything seems to be taken care of, Munkin sits back down to rest against the wall.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-11, 12:05 PM
What little remains of the night passes without incident or disturbance; by morning, Sophia, while still pale, looks a little healthier.

PersonMan
2013-03-11, 01:36 PM
Airessendria wakes up shortly after the sun rises, making herself some tea before returning to her room, ignoring anyone already awake unless spoken to, then returning to her room to meditate.

She stays there for another hour or two, reading from the Book of Aur and adding to it in some parts, before she prepares her spells. Afterwards she casts one, cleans herself and Sophia, then gets dressed.

Shinovar
2013-03-11, 02:03 PM
Munkin awakes, sore but uncomplaining. He walks over to Sophia to see how she is doing, but knows better than to disturb her when other, more capable hands are tending to her care.

He sees that Airessendria does not want to be disturbed and lets her go about her preparations without interruption. Only after she seems ready for the day does Munkin approach her. "How is our patient?"

Ursus the Grim
2013-03-11, 02:19 PM
Sathis awakes to the sound of boiling water. He opens his eyes long enough to watch the red tallwoman disappear into her more private chambers. He then takes a moment to confirm that his bag is still against the wall and his belt still lies at his side.

PersonMan
2013-03-11, 02:36 PM
Airessendria's attitude towards Munkin shows hints of approval in it as she speaks to him, but nothing too obvious. "She is as well as can be expected. I will call upon more powerful magic to aid her recovery," she says.

Then she walks to where Sophia lies. Looking down at the sleeping half-elf, she touches her chain link necklace, her eyes unfocused, as if looking at something in the past rather than the present. After a moment, she extends her arms, channeling power through herself.

"With Aur's blessing and my might, be healed," Airessendria intones, her voice strong but kept quiet so as to not disturb the woman. What follows is clearly meaningful, with the word 'Aur' appearing multiple times, but it's unintelligible for the others.

Then she touches Sophia on the forehead, divine power flowing through her.

Casting Lesser Restoration (Constitution)

[roll0]

If she shows recovery but isn't entirely there, another one.

[roll1]

EDIT: Airessendria's good at healing HP, but not ability damage. Noted.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-11, 02:41 PM
Some more color returns to Sophia's cheeks, but she's still clearly well away from full recovery.

Rest + Spells have restored about half of her lost CON, so far.

Ursus the Grim
2013-03-11, 02:51 PM
Sathis gets up and moves towards the healer and her charge. He waits until there is a break in the chanting before speaking up.

"Your magic is mighty, red woman. She looks much better than she did last night. Is there anything we can fetch that might help you? An herb, a totem?"

Shinovar
2013-03-11, 02:54 PM
"I'm glad to hear it" Munkin tells Airessendria. There are important things he needs to talk to the others about, but that can wait till Sophia is stable and their attention is not needed for other things.

PersonMan
2013-03-11, 04:08 PM
Airessendria smiles at Sathis' observation (it wasn't a compliment, he was just smart enough to know strength when he saw it), although she isn't really pleased by the results of her magic. She had always been better at healing immediately dangerous wounds than the sort of damage this woman's body had taken.

"Thank you for the offer, but no, there is nothing I know of at this point that will speed the process besides further rest," Airessendria replies. "I will check my notes for any such things, however. Thank you for bringing me to the idea," she says.

"It's best if we keep an eye on her for now, but further attention won't bring much for the time being. I will prepare some things to assure that she continues to recover at a swift rate,"

Airessendria will take 10 on her Heal check to succeed on applying Long-Term Care.

If we keep her as she is now, she'll regain 4 more points of Con (and other scores) today, plus at least 2 from Lesser Restoration in the morning...she should be a-ok then.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-11, 04:16 PM
Her CON will be recovered within 24, but other stats will still be suffering - and you're not sure how easy it's going to be to keep her hidden, especially as people were already showing an interest in your house.

There aren't any herbs or such that would help, but if you could find a way to get magical supplies (potions or scrolls) or figure out something creative to get direct healing from a cleric or druid, that would speed things up.

Not saying you have to use magic- problem's yours to figure out a solution to - but if you do decide to go with purely mundane healing, you'll need to do something to keep the townspeople away, or find some way to hide her elsewhere.

Shinovar
2013-03-11, 04:23 PM
Munkin is pleased to hear that things have calmed down. Especially because that means that he can now tell the others what he has discovered.

"Airessendria, Sathis, I have some thing you should see." Munkin goes over to his bag and collects the maps and package he recovered from Sophia's canoe.

"I found these in her canoe and thought it would be wise to keep them with us. These maps should be invaluable to us when we try to leave, but much more so if she is our guide. She knows the area and I can't read her short hand. Unless one of you can, we need her help. Hopefully after all of this, as well as what we know of her ancestry, she will be willing."

"Also, she was carrying this package for Brother Luca, the temple cleric." Munkin turns to Airessendria. "Do you think she will be well enough to deliver it herself soon, or should we do it for her? I have not looked inside, but time may be of the essence. When you healed Sophia originally, it seemed important to her to communicate to me. I couldn't make out much of what she said, but I knew it was urgent. I think she told me not to let them know of her ancestry, but she also uttered the word 'Paladin'."

Ursus the Grim
2013-03-11, 04:42 PM
Sathis scratches a loose scale under his chin.

"I cannot go marching into the temple, but this cleric might be able and willing to help. In turn the woman might help us escape this place."

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-12, 08:57 AM
From her position on the bed, Sophia groans, elbows pressing into the mattress as she tries to rise; she makes it about halfway up before collapsing back, settling for turning her head towards the group as she speaks.

"No. Not Luca."

PersonMan
2013-03-12, 09:42 AM
Airessendria whirls as Sophia tries to push herself up, coming to the bedside to ease her all just as she collapses.

"Take it easy, you still need to rest. We will hear you; why do you not want for us to get help from this Luca?" She asks. This was actually playing to her advantage; the priestess hadn't wanted to bring the woman or news of her arrival to anyone, but apart from her heritage there was little real reason to. Now there might be more of one, which would probably make swaying the others easier, if they didn't simply accept her plans as they had until now.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-12, 09:45 AM
Sophia stares up at Airessendria, swallowing once but remaining stubbornly silent.

Sense motive, anyone? You can also feel free to guess.

PersonMan
2013-03-12, 10:08 AM
Airessendria looks deep into Sophia's eyes, her own gaze gentle but probing. "We've saved you from drifting further, aimlessly, in your canoe as well as discovery by the other residents of this town. Do you not think we at least deserve to know why you don't want to go to Luca?" She asks, tone soft.

Sensing that Motive: [roll0]

EDIT: Meh.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-12, 10:10 AM
Eh, it's an easy one, 12 will do - you're pretty sure it's just the half-elf thing, but she doesn't want to say it, because she doesn't know that you already know.

PersonMan
2013-03-12, 10:26 AM
A-ha.

After a moment of consideration, Airessendria smiles. "Look at those you are in the company of. Do you really think your elven blood will bother us?" She asks.

"The extent of your injuries meant that I had to examine them to ensure that I knew they were not of further danger to your well-being in the short term. While I was the only one who examined you, the others were all present when I healed you and they helped bring you back here. Even if it hadn't been clear then...

Well, do you think I could have cleaned you so thoroughly without realizing you have pointed ears?" She asks.

"We know how the other people here are about nonhumans and outsiders. Especially after you plea last night, we wouldn't bring you to those people, especially while you're still recovering," Airessendria continues. The way she says 'we' makes it clear that she is entirely sure that she speaks for the group...or at least that she would make sure that the group would follow her decision even if they weren't of her view.

While it isn't Airessendria's intention, I just realized that her dialogue kind of implies that she needed to disrobe Sophia at some point during the process.

Also, yeah, assumed authority is part of Airessendria's thing. And it's worked so far.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-12, 10:31 AM
Sophia closes her eyes, gathering herself for a moment before speaking.

"Not brother Luca. He can't keep his mouth shut about anythin, let alone this."

She winces, clutching her abdomen for a moment before the pain recedes.

"Find another way."

Shinovar
2013-03-12, 11:57 AM
Munkin walks over to the bed.

"We will do what we can for you, but the more you tell us, the more we can help you. And do you really think an elf can judge you for being half an elf? Was it your mother or your father?"

Ursus the Grim
2013-03-12, 12:43 PM
Sathis remains quiet at first, too aware that he should take care not to overwhelm the woman. If she was afraid of brother Luca, then to whom was she planning to deliver the package? He can't shake his feeling that this more to this.

"Very well. Let's not get that one. Does anyone know of another healer so we can go and let the poor thing rest?"

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-12, 01:11 PM
She shifts a little on the bed, unwilling to keep still, eventually settling for propping her back against the headboard, eyes resting on Munkin. "My father. Never met him. Luca's not that bad, but he never could keep his mouth shut about anything, let alone this. There's one other guy, Draagos Sorin, but... he hates elves even more than most, around here."

Shinovar
2013-03-12, 05:08 PM
Munkin nods as she tells of her father. It seems like an issue she would rather not have pressed. "I found the package for Brother Luca. Would you like us to deliver that for you, or would you like to do it yourself when you are feeling better? I can do it anonymously if you wish."

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-12, 05:29 PM
Sophia looks hazy for a moment before responding. "That... I don't know. If it's important, he should get it, but I think it references me by name... either way, it'll make him think I'm in town..."

She glances around for a moment before continuing. "Any of you think you could forge that seal?"

PersonMan
2013-03-13, 11:18 AM
Airessendria considers the message's potential contents. "I assume you made it to your destination, then. Did they seem ready to send aid?" She asks.

"I would not be able to forge it directly, but I have an idea of how one could attempt it. I do not believe that is necessary, however. I have a spell with which I can gain knowledge of the message's contents without actually opening it," Airessendria says.

Unless you had something planned for today, in-game, happening to us if we wait, I was thinking of seeing if I could make an Int/Wis check for Airessendria, since I think that reading the letter and delivering it might be something they'd need to do even if I missed it. Basically, if she'd thought of it she'd have Scholar's Touch (from Races of Destiny and in the Spell Compendium) ready, if not then not.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-13, 12:15 PM
It isn't a book, it's actually a package - in fact, it feels like there's some stuff in there besides just papers. Reading over Scholar's Touch, it only references books and scrolls, and seems clearly intended to let a mage read something on the fly, not information from within locked or sealed containers.

Sophia winces, shifting gingerly before replying. "Yeah, there was a Paladin already there... he'd been sent for Lordsgate to help us out. Apparently there's trouble everywhere... after I told him about the raids, he decided he needed to gather forces and extra guides... I was supposed to deliver that package to Brother Luca, then come back to tell him more about the situation."

PersonMan
2013-03-13, 01:50 PM
"In that case, I think I have a plan that will resolve both of our issues," Airessendria says, clearly pleased.

"As long as we can keep you hidden, it should work perfectly. You will recover here, when you are healthy again we will all go down to the docks and you will 'arrive', then bring the package to Brother Luca. We can go with you on the way back, to protect you. Sathis can potentially negotiate with the lizardfolk raiders to get us safe passage," Airessendria explains.

"You can complete the quest you seem to have taken upon yourself and we can leave the town before it becomes entirely hostile," she adds.

Shinovar
2013-03-13, 01:59 PM
Munkin looks to Airessendria. "Do you think we will be able to remain in this town till she recovers. They are only growing bolder in their attempts to force us out. I fear we will not escape violence much longer."

After Munkin speaks, he realizes that his words may have come off more challenging than he intended. He quickly adds "I don't see much choice we have other than your plan, but it does present its own difficulties."

Ursus the Grim
2013-03-13, 05:18 PM
"What if I give them what they want. I meet with the savages, you tell the townsfolk that they were right. That I was not to be trusted. I arrange for safe passage. Tell them you will set out kill me and my cousins. That should buy their goodwill for a time. Slip away."

Sathis shrugs. Its a risky plan he proposes, but so will any plan be.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-13, 05:37 PM
Sophia's eyes grow clouded, and for a moment it seems she may collapse again; but, just as her body starts to slump, she recovers with a start, shaking her head.

"Something's going on with the Lizardfolk. I never had trouble with them before, except when I was young, and trespassed on sacred land."

"As for hiding me... that might not be necessary. Brother Luca keeps a supply of potions and scrolls in the church... he might be persuaded to part with some."

Sophia manages a half-shrug, grinning slightly before continuing. "Or you could steal them. I wouldn't mind."

Ursus the Grim
2013-03-13, 06:16 PM
Sathis smiles at the suggestion. He is glad to see that the patient has become comfortable with his presence. He tries to hide his apprehension. He is all too aware of how his people could be influenced. Instead, he adopts a falsely innocent tone.

"I don't know if we could find a criminal deft enough to commit such a theft."

Shinovar
2013-03-13, 07:57 PM
"I have experience in such things. I may not be as spry as I once was, but with age comes wisdom." Munkin looks at Sathis and smiles slowly. "And spells. Those help too."

Ursus the Grim
2013-03-14, 07:11 PM
"Good. Let us not waste time. Munkin will borrow some potions. I will contact the lizardfolk. Roscoe and Airessendria will stay here. Sound good?"

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-14, 07:22 PM
"Good luck.." Sophia says, with a worried look at Sathis. "And be careful... it's easy to get lost at there, and I've never seen the Lizardfolk this aggressive.."

Shinovar
2013-03-14, 07:45 PM
Munkin bows out and leaves the room. As he walks out, his appearance changes from that of an elf to that of a human.

Assuming he has no trouble, Munkin goes to the church. I want more of a description of what he sees there before I decide anything else.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-14, 08:29 PM
The vine-encrusted church perches atop a steep rocky outcropping at the highest point of Serpent Hill; a lone set of steps lead to the front door, while a side door opens onto a small and ill-maintained garden.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-14, 08:33 PM
Most of the space inside the church is given over to the little-used assembly hall; in recent years, it is rare for even Brother Luca himself to be present at the weekly mass. The locked rear area of the church contains Luca's office and private quarters, as well as the ladder to the steeple.

Shinovar
2013-03-15, 12:34 AM
Munkin surveys the area, being careful to not look suspicious. He even sends Flit out to scout. When Flit returns, Munkin puts Flit on watch for Brother Luca, and then disappears when he is sure he isn't being seen.

Munkin uses invisibility and is ready to use knock on the locked rear area after searching it for traps. Search [roll0]

He only does all of this if he is relatively certain Brother Luca is not there. If he is, he would change his plans.

PersonMan
2013-03-15, 01:09 AM
An important part of leadership is knowing when to let others make their own plans. Airessendria sees that her subordinates are putting together a plan. A sound plan, which was even better. As such, she simply concentrates on keeping Sophia from overexerting herself, propping her up and giving additional support whenever she seems to be having a bout of weakness.

"If you run into anything you're not sure you can handle, return here rather than risking it. We should be able to take care of any of these issues as a group, without the potential for losing some of our number to underestimated dangers," Airessendria says to Munkin and Sathis as they depart.

With the meeting over, Airessendria shoos out Roscoe and his dog if they don't take the hint and leave on their own before turning back to Sophia. She looks over her again, trying to see if a conversation would overly strain her or if she's recovered enough for it.

Yeah, taking 10 on my Heal check for that, getting a 16. Just want to see if Airessendria can talk to her with a good healer's conscience, basically.

Ursus the Grim
2013-03-15, 08:42 AM
Sathis heads down to the docks, hoping to keep a low profile in the morning fog. He plans on using Sophia's canoe to navigate the swamps. Though he's a great swimmer, he'd rather not wear himself out on his way to find the lizardfolk. His pack is with him, as is his usual gear. He figures he may be able to barter or bribe the tribal humanoids, or may need to fight.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-15, 11:45 AM
Loud and fitful snoring echoes throughout the small church; it seems Luca is asleep in his quarters, as the priest is not known as a morning person.

Sophia shifts uncomfortably is Airessendria tends to her wounds; it's clear she's well used to an abundance of personal space. However, Airessendria doubts that a little conversation would tax her too much.

The wandering groups and pairs of drunks are out again, and Sathis has to duck into the shadows to avoid being seen on more than one occasion. Nonetheless, he is able to find his way to the water's edge without incident.

PersonMan
2013-03-15, 12:00 PM
"You live alone, don't you?" Airessendria asks as she withdraws, not wanting to bring more discomfort than is necessary to her charge.

"Why stay here, where everyone would hate you if they found out about your heritage? It doesn't seem like there's really anything tying you to this place," she continues, curious. Sophia didn't seem to have a dwelling or companions here, all her possessions were easily moved. So why stay? Perhaps she had been banished from her former home... But still, why not go somewhere more tolerant?

Ursus the Grim
2013-03-15, 01:00 PM
Sathis knows he is unlikely to find the lizardfolk in the treacherous, confusing, and mist laden swamp. Nonetheless, he recovers the canoe and clambers in. He begins to paddle into the wilds. Once fairly far from the docks, he begins to sing loudly in Draconic. The song, a tribute to a great black dragon, is neither melodious nor clever.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-15, 02:26 PM
"I like it here," Sophia says, defiantly. "There's no where in the world like those swamps... I couldn't stand to leave them. Besides, the locals aren't so bad, most of the time."

Beneath Sathis, the boat glides off into the mists, and within moments the Hill is lost behind him. Beneath him, strange currents tug at the light craft, constantly tugging the bow one way and then another, and thick reeds and muddy embankments force him to change his heading more than once.

Sathis, survival checks to avoid getting lost.

PersonMan
2013-03-15, 02:34 PM
Airessendria's eyes sparkle with understanding for a moment as Sophia speaks. Normally, she would take issue with her tone, but seeing as she was still recovering, that could wait. "I see. So you stay here for the swamps, not the village itself..." Airessendria's voice drifts off for a moment here, her mind drifting into memories.

"So," the priestess snaps back to the present, "does the trip to Fenridge normally take a week or so? Or were there delays caused by the fog?" she asks.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-15, 02:41 PM
"The village has its charms. Sometimes." Sophia replies with the ghost of a smile. "Trip usually takes a week there, another few days back. I can usually do the whole thing in a week, but there's more going on than just the mists... all the currents are off."

PersonMan
2013-03-15, 02:47 PM
Airessendria nods. Interesting...so it seemed like this massive fog wasn't the only thing happening. Whatever was making the lizardfolk so aggressive probably had a similar source. All of it seemed to be related to water so far, but whether that would remain true was yet to be seen...

"I see. Thank you for satisfying my curiosity. If you wish, you may ask questions of me as well, to help pass the time, but otherwise I will be in the main room, reading. If you need anything, just call me. My name is Airessendria, by the way. Normally I would request you use my formal title, but I think I can make an exception for you," she says, with a friendly smile. It probably wasn't the best situation to be in, bedridden in someone else's abode, but Airessendria wanted to make it at least bearable for the woman.

Ursus the Grim
2013-03-15, 03:10 PM
Sathis continues his subpar ballad as he clumsily tries to navigate the currents.

You know, I realized this was a bad idea in the last post. Oh well, rolling for survival.
[roll0]

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-15, 10:04 PM
Gnarled trees emerge from the mists, drifting by Sathis in gloomy silence; from out of sight, the calls and cries of animal life drift across the mists. He maintains a broad sense of the direction he's come from, but little of the distance he's traversed - and backtracking his course through the myriad currents could prove difficult.

You're not exactly lost, but every low roll is gonna make it harder to find your way back; whether you choose to continue or turn back, another survival roll.

Ursus the Grim
2013-03-16, 07:41 AM
Sathis moves unconsciously closer to the center of the canoe. He is ill at ease. He had once enjoyed swimming in the cenotes of his home, but a land laden with water and fog is alien to him. He presses onwards. His options now are to make it to the next town, or, more likely, be found.

Survival

[roll0]

Shinovar
2013-03-16, 11:08 AM
Munkin decides to use the sleeping priest to his advantage. Tasking Flit to watch and wait for his possible rousing after the door is opened, Munkin approaches the door, invisible, and looks for any safeguards the Bother might have put in place.

Taking 10 on searching for traps, which gives me a 27, 29 if you will let Flit aid another in searching

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-16, 11:31 AM
Munkin finds no traps; is Sathis trying to travel in any particular direction?

PersonMan
2013-03-16, 12:02 PM
I assume all is quiet in the apartment, then?

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-16, 12:03 PM
Apart from the snoring, yes. :smalltongue:

Shinovar
2013-03-16, 03:18 PM
Munkin, invisible, attempts to open the door. If locked, Munkin uses the spell Knock. Flit will be watching out for Brother Luca to awake.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-16, 03:24 PM
D'oh, answered the question like it was coming from the wrong person. All is quiet in the apartment.

The door before Munkin clicks quietly open, swinging inward. Brother Luca snorts in his sleep, but does not wake.

In the marsh, Sathis is able to find a strong current and start to push his way against it; it is slow going, but he is confident that it must eventually come from Fenridge, where the Black River flows into the swamps.

Another survival check, plus spot, listen and knowledge: Nature.

Shinovar
2013-03-16, 03:50 PM
Munkin begins looking for the potions and scrolls while Flit keeps watch.

Ursus the Grim
2013-03-16, 06:03 PM
Survival
[roll0]
Spot
[roll1]
Listen
[roll2]
Knowledge (Nature, untrained)
[roll3]

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-16, 06:40 PM
Munkin, which rooms in particular are you searching? The main portion of the church opens onto the office, which connects to a small common room that has the ladder and the door to the outside, and finally connects to the bedroom itself. Also, search and move silently checks.

Is Airessendria doing anything in particular, or just holding down the fort?

Give me a couple verses of the song Sathis is singing. (Doesn't have to be good, and if you don't feel like making it rhyme, just give the translated version and say that it sounds better in Draconic. :P )

PersonMan
2013-03-16, 06:45 PM
Airessendria is just reading/writing and passing the time. Every now and then she checks up on Sophia, to make sure she's doing alright.

Ursus the Grim
2013-03-16, 07:31 PM
At this rate I might actually make it to Fenridge. What do I do then? Sathis can't help but feel somewhat hopeful. With him away, perhaps the townsfolk will ease up their pressure on Roscoe. He knows that he couldn't possibly be near Fenridge already, however, and so he begins to sing again, now to keep himself company in the silent waters. Having forgotten where he was, he starts over again, in a tongue thousands of years old - if smattered and corrupted by time and dialect. Its an old modification of a song taught to him when he was young and sung to their overlord when tribute was presented. Each stanza builds in intensity as it goes from the first line to the third.

"Vutha versesh darastrix Verikex
Turasilj verthicha othokent urathear
Aussir thurkear maurg miirik ir versesh

Ir thricvorel gix
Versesh gixustrat vargach
Ominak Verikex baeshrafaessi loex

Ir austrat munthrek
Ocior tuor vershesh korth
Ir ocior turasilj renthisj Verikex maurg."

Hey, what do you want? Ranks in perform (ballad)? I realized I was spending way too much time on it.

The great black dragon Verikex
is big as a mountain and smart as a god.
The paledusk tribe pays homage to one so great.

This one is an ugly claw
But mighty in his cuts.
For the name of Verikex many kobolds died.

This one walks through the humans.
Seeking danger and power.
He seeks greatness for Verikex and his tribe.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-16, 08:41 PM
Slowly, from somewhere in the mists, an answering song can be heard, high, sad melody shaming Sathis's performance with it's beauty.

Gilkekkenes bil kralj Orok
Mesto raste iz kamna
V dih črnih vodah
ko je čas tekla skupaj.

Enessikdu je bil rojen v mokrih pesek
In odraščal med zvermi
Gilkekkenes je imenoval Bog valk
Enessikdu je bil imenovan živali valk
To je zgodba
Od ljudi, da postanejo skupaj.

Gilkekkenes was king of Orok
A city rising from stone
In the breath of black waters
when time flowed together.

Enessikdu was born in the wet sands
And grew up among the beasts
Gilkekkenes was called half god
Enessikdu was called half animal
It is the story
Of their becoming human together.

Ursus the Grim
2013-03-16, 10:15 PM
Sathis falls quiet for a moment. The dialect and accent is alien to him, not at all what he expected. It is fluid like the high speech of the priest and Verikex without their harshness. He hesitates for a moment before responding raking his mind for more eloquent words.

"Ir thincvorel maug gasa
Gix hesa orn molik achua
Varuasha maka kootas ir satha

Ushavishra kimosti hau ershav
Gathaca ir lithia hushathixa gahus
Gishtha ir Vothos Gilkekkenes Enessikdu haras"

Now this simple descendant
Wanders, the child of silver hides.
Without power in a strange place.

The voice of paragons reaches his ears,
This one musters his courage to ask it,
Would you appear, and speak more of Gilkekkenes and Enessikdu?

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-16, 11:40 PM
A long period of silence follows Sathis's request, and then an answer can be heard, coming from the branches above him, a few yards into the fog.

Gilkekkenes and Enessikdu are heroes of myth. Does your tribe not greet newcomers by exchanging the songs of your people?

Ursus the Grim
2013-03-17, 03:19 AM
Sathis ceases paddling and sits in the canoe, staring upwards. The notion that he made Verikex to sound a hero is unsettling, but it is a product of his juvenile years.

"My tribe is very alone, and have lost many of our ways. We live in mountains high and hidden, with noone to sing to. Perhaps the ancestors guided me to sing, however poorly."

I must say, its nice to use a language Sathis should be fluent in instead of keeping his Common rudimentary. Oh, and I would like to attempt an active spot check.

[roll0]

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-17, 11:24 AM
It is all but impossible to see anything through the mists; Sathis thinks he can make out the base of the tree the voice must be coming from, but the upper branches are lost in a blanket of white.

"Your tribe is not from these marshes, then?

Shinovar
2013-03-17, 01:12 PM
Munkin is searching the office first, and has the elf ability to look for secret doors just by being near.

Munkin will take 10 on both, with results of 27 for search and 19 for move silently. If you want actual rolls:

Search: [roll0]

Move Silently: [roll1]

If Munkin starts to make too much noise and is worried Brother Luca is going to wake up, but not so much that Brother Luca has already woken up, Munkin will cast Silence.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-17, 01:16 PM
There's a large quantity of paperwork in Luca's office; most of it seems to be correspondence from the central church, and most of it seems to be unopened. However, no potions or scrolls reveal themselves.

Shinovar
2013-03-17, 01:41 PM
Munkin decides that he needs to enter the sleeping quarters of Brother Luca. This makes things more difficult. Munkin walks away from Brother Luca so he wont be heard, and then casts Silence on Brother Luca's bed (assuming you won't consider that an attended item), and then walks into Brother Lucas room to search.

Ursus the Grim
2013-03-17, 01:44 PM
There is pause before Sathis responds. So far the conversation has been pleasant, but he knows how territorial most tribes are. The attacks on Serpent Hill could be a united response to a perceived invasion, in which case being a foreign traveler would be ill received. Still, he knows he cannot fake a native.

"No. My tribe was taken from our ancestral lands many years ago. I wander to find a place for them and have heard of unrest among your tribes."

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-17, 02:40 PM
Munkin slips into the room that holds the snoring form of Brother Luca; however, before he has much chance to search, a voice can be heard from the front of the church. "Luca? Brother Luca? You in there?"

Sathis can hear scurrying from the branches above him, and the speaker dips down into view, small green face staring at him in surprise; the speaker is female, and clearly still very young.

"You're a child? You don't sound like a child..."

Ursus the Grim
2013-03-17, 02:59 PM
Sathis feels relief and surprise that the speaker is so young. If there was trouble between the tribes, it would be unlikely that a juvenile would be left alone to wander. And, while she is possibly his match in weight, Sathis does not fear she could overpower him. Some mirth colors his voice. He retrieves a strip of dried pork and offers it into the air for her to snatch if she wishes.

"No youngling, this is as tall as my people get. Great Semuanya decreed that we were foolish to be taken from our homes and so made us small. Now we must be clever or dead. Can you fetch one of your elders, young one? Tell them I come without humans or bloodthirst. That I wish to help."

Shinovar
2013-03-17, 03:20 PM
Just my luck. But better to cut losses than to be cut, I always say.

Munkin makes one last glance for the sought after items before quickly leaving the room and out the door he entered from.

After leaving, Munkin dismisses the Silence spell so as to not arouse suspicion.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-17, 05:14 PM
The lizard child shifts backwards into the tree, suddenly suspicious.

"<I'm not sure about that,>" she says, shifting uneasily atop her branch. "<Things haven't been the same, lately...>"

Brother Luca's room is a crowded wreck of negligence; any number of items could be hidden within, but it would be impossible to find any single thing at a glance. For his part, Brother Luca rises with a series of coughs and sputters, groping about the room for his priestly trappings as Munkin makes his exit.

Ursus the Grim
2013-03-17, 05:22 PM
Ah, now there is internal strife. Sathis scolds himself for asking so directly.

<I'm sorry, youngling. I mean no harm. Could you tell me what has changed? I want to help you, and your tribefolk. Even if they will not meet me, I can still try and fix what is wrong.>

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-17, 05:27 PM
She retreats only further back, large eyes casting about nervously; something seems to have spooked her, and she looks like she's on the verge of bolting.

Diplomacy check with whatever you say to calm her down.

Shinovar
2013-03-17, 05:36 PM
Munkin curses his luck at the unexpected visitor. He walks away, doing his best to not seem suspicious. Perhaps this effort was not wasted though. "Flit, go listen to what they are saying. Perhaps we can get lucky and they will both leave."

Ursus the Grim
2013-03-17, 06:19 PM
Sathis shakes his head sadly. This is going poorly. The juvenile does not have the same fire within her that he did. Shall I sing a song of the good she might do her tribe? Shall I knock her out and question her in captivity? Shall I simply let her go and hope she returns? He attempts to smooth his tone and offer a soothing voice. She is afraid of something, something not normal within lizardfolk society. An outside influence? There would be no dragon this close to Serpent Hill, would there? With no idea how to soothe the juvenile's fear, he turns away and begins to sing once more, in the same form he had adopted before being found.

<The tribe of the swamp of serpents
Had a great deal to fear.
The Fear-bringer had much power.

But the little pale one, from a mountain far away.
Knew what life was under one more powerful.
He would not turn away from kin subjugated.

And so with a hint from a brave female child.
The little pale one took the strength from the Fear-bringer
And the tribes of the swamp of serpents prospered, free of fear and humans.>

Blech, you know what I was attempting. Here's the part where it fails miserably. :smallsigh:

Diplomacy

[roll0]

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-18, 01:13 AM
In the church, Brother Luca and his visitor are speaking in hushed and angry whispers; Flitt is only able to hear snatches of their conversation, without getting so close as to draw attention.

"-isn't working, we think there's-"
"-should keep them away, but gods know how long-"
"-looked all night, didn't find one of them-"

In the swamp, the lizard child only recoils further, glancing left and right once more before turning and racing off into the fog, her small frame swallowed by the mists within seconds, leaving Sathis once more alone on the waters.

Ursus the Grim
2013-03-18, 08:19 AM
Sathis is no tracker, but the fear of the child has ensnared his sympathy. Taking a last look around, he tries to paddle in the direction that she darted off. He doesn't have much more information than he did when he set into the swamp.

Shinovar
2013-03-18, 10:05 AM
Munkin decides to have Flit keep watch in case they leave until his spell to appear human nears its end. If they are still there, then he will have to go back to Airessendria's room and regroup and replan.

Its a 50 min spell total

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-18, 05:47 PM
Trying to hold a direction in the swamp is hard; trying to track a fleeing child is even harder. After a few minutes of pursuit, Sathis has accomplished little beyond losing what little notion he held as to the direction of Serpent Hill; however, he must have been doing better than he thought, for when the girl's sudden scream of terror pierces the early morning mists, it's only coming from a few dozen feet away.

In the church, Brother Luca claps the visitor on the back, whispering a few last words into his ear. "Have faith, brother," he calls out as the visitor leaves, then turns to return to his office. closing the door behind him.

After Munkin leaves, Airessendria is given a few moments of peace before yet another knock can be heard at her door, loud and demanding.

Ursus the Grim
2013-03-18, 05:56 PM
Sathis nearly drops the paddle in anxiety and shock. Grasping it tighter, he digs deep into the water as swiftly as he can to close the rest of the distance. He prepares to snatch up his dagger and bag if he must disembark in a hurry.

You, good sir, are a cruel, cruel man. I was about to roll for Survival to get back. . . then I read the end.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-18, 06:20 PM
It takes less than a minute for Sathis to come upon the source of the scream; the girl is thrashing in the water, locked in an embrace with a monstrous eel, its long body curled about hers, blood welling from her shoulder where its mouth latches onto her.

Ursus the Grim
2013-03-18, 06:39 PM
<Stay strong!>, Sathis shouts to the struggling youngling. He can tell immediately how dire her situation is. He's never seen a fish so large, much less one attacking a humanoid. Sathis wastes no time. Dropping his bag to lie in the canoe, he jumps into the water, dagger in hand.

If you'd like Initiative, here it is. [roll0]

Sathis is using a swift action to activate his child of shadows stance, giving him concealment whenever he moves 10 feet or more. If he can get close enough, he's going to slash at the eel with his dagger. No fancy stuff here. The logistics of swamp combat rule out a few of his maneuvers at the moment.

[roll1] for [roll2] damage.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-18, 06:47 PM
The eel lashes away, dodging the blade of Sathis's dagger by a fraction of a hair, releasing a blood-curdling shriek as it looses from the girl, lunging instead for Sathis.

Attack:[roll0]
Damage:[roll1]

Ursus the Grim
2013-03-18, 07:21 PM
Sathis very nearly loses an arm as the monstrosity lunges back at him. Realizing that the creature is likely bigger than he is, he digs deep down to find the courage to stay and fight. As a small fire sprite flickers into brief life on the other side of the eel, Sathis hurls himself at the creature, hoping to use the distraction to strike effectively.

Swift action to use distracting ember. Really doesn't do anything but give me flanking for this turn.

Standard action to use Claw at the Moon. I roll a jump check and an attack roll, if the jump is higher than his AC, my attack gets a damage bonus and a buff to confirm a critical. Otherwise the attack continues as normal.

[roll0] versus AC, to deal an addition [roll1] damage.

The attack itself, [roll2] for [roll3] damage.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-18, 07:25 PM
This time, Sathis's attack strikes home, and a bloody gash appears along the eels body; it shrieks again, long body whipping the water to a boil as it lunges in once more.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage:[roll]1d8+6

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-18, 07:27 PM
Goofed the damage roll, but I'm pretty sure that's not gonna hit anyway.

Ursus the Grim
2013-03-18, 07:32 PM
Sathis relents for a moment, calling upon the techniques that will help him end this battle swiftly.

No, it missed. Recovering maneuvers.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-18, 07:38 PM
The beast pauses for a moment, staring at Sathis as if confused by its opponents sudden inaction before lunging forward again, throwing itself at the diminutive lizard in fresh fury.

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Ursus the Grim
2013-03-18, 07:45 PM
Sathis begins to find a small measure of amusement. Though the beast is big, with a considerable maw, it has become a dance. Strike, dodge, strike again. Much like the dances he once had with the kobolds he had been sent to kill. After such a long time of keeping a low profile, the battle thrills him. But it must end. Every moment could mean death for the wounded child. He lunges back at the eel, slashing furiously with his dagger.

Raging Dragon Strike
[roll0] for [roll1] damage plus [roll2] damage. AC -4 until next turn.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-18, 07:51 PM
Once again Sathis's blow finds home, the monster's movements growing a little sluggish as more blood gushes out of it, staining the waters red, paina nd fear mixing with the fury of its shrieking; nonetheless it drives in again, throwing its considerable bulk at the small lizardman, innumerable teeth struggling for purchase against Sathis's scaly skin.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-18, 07:54 PM
The beast's teeth finally find their mark, its mouth closing on Sathis and holding firm.

Ursus the Grim
2013-03-18, 07:57 PM
Sathis, sensing the end is near, attempts to ensure his next strike is accurate.

Shadow Blade Technique
I roll twice, if I choose the lower roll I deal an additional 1d6 cold damage.
[roll0]
[roll1]

for

[roll2] damage. An additional [roll3] cold.

Hm. I'm going to risk the lower roll.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-18, 08:04 PM
The eel's jaw remains clamped around Sathis's leg for a long moment, even after the lizardman plunged his knife into the creature's brain; eventually, however, its dead bulk relaxes, and Sathis is able to pry himself free of its fangs.

Today we learned that swamps are dangerous, and that the DM doesn't know how CR tables work.

>_>

Have 750 XP, and congratulations on getting the first kill in either group.

Ursus the Grim
2013-03-18, 08:09 PM
Sathis grimaces as the swamp water mingles with his open wound. As if Airessendria didn't have enough work with the elf. He turns his attention to the girl, reaching one bloody claw out.

<"Let me bring you home. You cannot make it alone now. If you fear going home, there is an alternative.">

CRs are notoriously spotty and need to be adjusted for the group. You were one decent roll away from taking out Sathis, who, admittedly, shouldn't be wandering around alone.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-18, 08:09 PM
Oh, and I almost forgot.

As the eel's body slips into the water, Sathis feels a strange surge of energy rising up within himself; in its wake, he feels a little more confident, more alert, than he had before.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-18, 08:16 PM
The lizardfolk girl pulls herself together, drawing her knees up to her body and sitting in the muck, eyes following the monstrous eel's corpse as it drifts away. Her head turns away when Sathis offers to take her home, another look of fear crossing her face, though it no longer seems that he is the source of her terror. However, as Sathis reaches for her, her own hand ducks past his, laying across his wound; for one moment the chaos of the marsh around them falls into harmony, creatures falling still, wavelets radiating across the water in serene beauty as some small measure of the pain in Sathis's leg recedes.

Cure Light Wounds - [roll0]

And yeah, if I'd been any less brain-dead I wouldn't have put you in that fight; for one thing, that eel rolled 1s on most of it's HD.

Ursus the Grim
2013-03-18, 08:26 PM
Sathis' breath catches for a moment. The thrill of battle brought with it a sense of feeling alive, such as he had never felt before. And he never expected one so young to wield magic.

<"There are things at work, youngling, that I do not understand. I shall not ask you to lead me to your tribe. But if the swamp is not safe for you, it is not safe for anybody. Not for your people, or your broodmates. Please just tell me what you know and I will leave you be. I will give you anything you ask if I can.">

Well lucky me. :smallwink:

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-18, 08:29 PM
<It... it's not...> the girl starts, scurrying back a few steps and digging her claws into the trunk of a tree, as if for protection.

<My tribe... they were attacked. I don't know if any of them are still...>

Ursus the Grim
2013-03-18, 08:40 PM
Attacked? Why does she return to them, then? I thought she feared bringing an outsider home, but now the truth is starting to become apparent.

"<I cannot save your people alone, youngling. I know some people, outsiders like me. We all hate the humans on Serpent Hill and want to help the tribes here. We can help your broodmates. Could you lead us to them? It may be the only chance your tribe has.>"

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-18, 08:42 PM
The lizard child seems more confused by this than anything.

"<Humans didn't attack us... one of the other tribes did. I don't know why...>"

Ursus the Grim
2013-03-18, 08:46 PM
This would be more problematic. Whatever was influencing the lizardfolk was not universal. It was probably the same tribe as the ones attacking the docks.

<"Can you tell me how to get to the other tribe's territory? From the human town?">

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-18, 08:53 PM
"<I've been in their waters once or twice, but things have changed so much... not just them, all the tribes are acting differently, I don't know whose territory is whose anymore...>"

Ursus the Grim
2013-03-18, 08:56 PM
"<I understand. I shall leave you be, then. You would be safer to come with me, you know. If you will not come, is there anything else I can do for you?>"

Sathis begins to wade back over to the canoe. He has gained some information, but now there are even more answers, and no clear goal.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-18, 09:06 PM
The girl all but scrambles after Sathis as he turns to leave; it's clear that after her encounter with the eel, she's in no hurry to be left alone so soon.

"<There's another tribe, the Blackeye tribe... they're the ones who trained me, when I started showing potential as a druid... they might be able to help us... are your friends on the Rock?>"

Ursus the Grim
2013-03-18, 09:10 PM
"<The rock? You mean the island in this sea of fog, the one where humans tread? We call it Serpent Hill. Yes, that is where my friends await me.>"

Sathis once again offers a claw to help her aboard the canoe if she would take it.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-18, 09:23 PM
"<I don't think they'll let us on the Rock... the Black Eye tribe has been trying for weeks...>" she says, climbing up into the boat before looking around, suddenly alarmed. "<I know this boat! This is that human woman's boat!>"

Ursus the Grim
2013-03-18, 09:46 PM
"Yes, this is her boat. She is actually an elf. Nicer to us than the humans. She lives. Did you help her too?"

Sathis slowly begins paddling, not entirely sure which way to go. He knows roughly which way he most recently came from, but is hoping the juvenile can help him get back to serpent hill.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-18, 09:49 PM
"<No, we never spoke. But we'd sing back and forth, sometimes, and once or twice I watched her hunt. Do you know where you're going?>"

Ursus the Grim
2013-03-18, 10:00 PM
"<Not quite. Could you help me? And tell me your name? I am Sathis Silverhide.>"

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-18, 10:05 PM
"<Kess Broadridge... and I think so.>"

The girl moves to the bow of the boat, leaning out over the water, sniffing, staring at the passing trees, once even dipping a clawed hand into the water and tasting it, now and again pointing directions to Sathis, guiding him towards the Hill.

Ursus the Grim
2013-03-18, 10:36 PM
<"When we get there, you should stay close. The humans don't take kindly to us, and I don't want you to be in danger.">

When they get near Serpent Hill, Sathis will hide the canoe in the spot he previously used..

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-19, 12:01 AM
It is the work of a moment to hide Sophia's canoe once more; Kess even joins in, adding some reeds to the brush that covers it.

Anything special on how you approach the Hill? Hide/move silently/anything else?

Shinovar
2013-03-19, 12:12 AM
Shaking his head, Munkin heads back to Airessendria in defeat. She did say to come back if there was unexpected trouble, but this felt too much like failure. Still, her caution was wise.