PDA

View Full Version : New prestige class, Puppet Master

Enlong
2006-11-12, 12:55 PM
All right, I've got a new prestige class for you. The Puppet Master

Puppet Master

The puppet master uses magic power to control inanimate objects, which bend to his will and fight his battles for him. A true master of the art can command a small army of finely crafted dolls, full of hidden weapons and special tools.

Requrements:
Skills: 8 ranks in craft (Woodworking) 5 ranks in Use Rope, 5 ranks in Perform (puppetry)

Hit Die: D8
Skill points: 6+int modifier

Saves:
Fortitude: Poor
Will: Good
Reflex: Good

BAB: Low

Class skills:
Perform, craft, disable device, escape artist, intimidate, knowledge, open lock, sleight of hand, use magic device, use rope, Concentration, Knowledge (arcana), Spellcraft

Class abilities:

Spell progression: At every other level, a puppet master gains a bonus spell and one extra spell per day for a caster level they have, as if they had gained a caster level. You must choose which caster class gains the spell upon level up, and it cannot be shifted later.

Puppet Mastery: (spell-like)
Starting at level 1, a puppet master can use his power to make an inanimate object move as he wants. This is accomplished by use of strings of magic springing from the Puppet Master's fingers. Attaching the "strings" is a standard touch action. The object can only be manipulated if the Puppet Master's hands are free, and able to be moved. The strings are severed, and connection lost if they move outside a radius of 20 feet per level of Puppet master from any point of your body. A puppet master can only manipulate an object if it has joints (marionette), or is highly flexible (rope, chain) there is no limit to how a flexible object can move, beyond it's flexibility. If he takes control of a rigid object (chair, knife) he can only fling it, as if it was tied to his hands by a rope, for a max distance of your max control range x 1.25. He can control one "puppet" at a time per level of Puppet master, for 10 rounds/level of puppe master at a time. If he tries to move an unwilling living object, it gets a fortitude save against the control initally, and again every 1d4 rounds. A willing living object (party member) is controlled untill they are released, they wish to be released, or the spell times out. An animated object (exept living objecs) have stats identical to an "animated object" (see monster manual). A slain construct can also be controlled, but if it has lost physical aspects required to move (limbs, joints, etc.) It's movements are hindered accordingly. A Puppet Master can only take control of something up to his size class. That limit increases by one size every three levels.

Puppet Eyes, Ears, and Nose:
A puppet master, starting at level 2, can use the senses of his puppets to observe other areas, starting with sight, then gaining hearing at level 4, and smell at level 6. Aside from his hands, the master's body is immobile while doing this. He can only control one puppet while doing this. At level 5, it extends to two, and then three at level 8.

Puppet link:
Starting at level 5, a puppet master can choose one of his puppets to share a link with, making it sentient. The puppet becomes sentient, may converse intelligently with it's master, and can move of his own will as long as his master is "connected" to him. The linked puppet has your INT score and alignment. Only one puppet can be linked at a time. If the puppet is destroyed, or the master severs their link, the master suffers penalties as if he lost a familiar, but only has to wait 24 hours to link a new puppet.

Puppet host:
At level 10, a puppet master may place his soul in a puppet body, forever abandoning his original body. A puppet body does not age, is immune to poison and disease, does not need sleep, and does not count toward limits on "puppet control". The change is irreversable, the master loses all racial abilities, and his body acts like it's composition (a wooden puppet burns, an iron puppet rusts). If killed, the master can only be brought back by Limited Wish, or Wish, with a 50% chance of failure, and only as a puppet. Miracle can revive him fully, if there is a body, with a 50% failure chance.

Puppet Master
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells

1st|
+0|
+0|
+2|
+2|Puppet Control (1)|

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+3|
+3|Puppet Control (2) Puppet Eyes|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+3|
+3|Puppet Control (3) Size Limit boost +1|

4th|
+2|
+1|
+4|
+4|Puppet Control (4) Puppet Ears|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

5th|
+2|
+1|
+4|
+4|Puppet Control (5) Puppet Link, Puppet Senses extend to 2|

6th|
+3|
+2|
+5|
+5|Puppet Control (6) Puppet Nose, Size Limit boost +1|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

7th|
+3|
+2|
+5|
+5|Puppet Control (7)|

8th|
+4|
+2|
+6|
+6|Puppet Control (8) Puppet Senses extend to 3|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

9th|
+4|
+3|
+6|
+6|Puppet Control (9) Size Limit Boost +1|

10th|
+5|
+3|
+7|
+7|Puppet Control (10) Puppet Host|+1 level of existing spellcasting class [/table]

There ya go. What do you think?

And before you ask, yes, Naruto inspired this class. And one of my friends is playing one in my current campaign. :cool:

Bryn
2006-11-12, 01:33 PM
I am by no means an expert on matters of balance, but to me it looks overpowered. Full spellcasting progression, yet better saves and HD than a wizard (who you'd presumably enter this class with), and a whole host of nifty abilities to accompany all of that.

It's a nice idea though, very flavourful.

Myatar_Panwar
2006-11-12, 01:41 PM
Hmmmm, Id say that you should lower the spellcasting progression to maybe every other level. Or no spellcasting at level 1 and at a few other key points in progression. Or maybe
just no spell progressing (he doesnt really need it as much, kind of like a Pyrokineticist from the Psionics handbook)

O, and I think someone already made some type of puppet master prestige class....... ah, yes. Its in the homebrew compodium as puppetmaster. But the link isnt working right now, probally because of the move. O well, the more puppet guys the better.

O ya, and one question. You said that the Puppet Master can control dead constructs, what about dead creatures or hummanoids? And Puppet Masters can control objects as many times per day as he wants right?

Grey Knight
2006-11-12, 01:46 PM
And their favourite deity is Banjo (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26856), right?

Enlong
2006-11-12, 01:59 PM
Aw man, are you serious? Well, as soon as it's fixed, I need to see this other Puppet Master Class. One of us is gonna have to change name. I suppose you'd be able to move corpses, but note it's not like you're animating it, simply moving it, and since it's joints arent as connected as a construct's, if it has no muscles, I don't think it's possible to "control" it, just fling it.

As for worship, yeah, Banjo is an obvious choice, but I don't think the Evil Puppet Masters would worship a clown. edit: I forgot, orthodox banjoists like to harvest kidneys.

Enlong
2006-11-12, 02:30 PM
Anyone know how I can find this other Puppet Master Class? Or should I just fish the archives?

Myatar_Panwar
2006-11-12, 05:19 PM
You can seee it in the sticky thread: homebrew compodium (or something like that), but the link to the information is messed up. Probally from the move. But it will show you who made it so you could IM him or something.